art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - Non Wot Discussion Boards > Archived: Non WoT Related Discussion 09/09 - 9/10
User Name
Password

Old 03-18-2010, 03:54 PM
Elder

fdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant future

I'll respond more thoroughly later, but I'm just curious what the difference between advanced and college prep tracks was.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:46 PM
Hero of the Horn

JSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to JSUCamel Send a message via MSN to JSUCamel Send a message via Yahoo to JSUCamel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdsaf3 View Post
I'll respond more thoroughly later, but I'm just curious what the difference between advanced and college prep tracks was.
Well, it's a little complicated. First, a picture:

(source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_Kill_a_Mockingbird)

Bloom's Taxonomy is a pyramid of learning skills. Each successive level requires mastery of the levels below it. One can't apply theory unless they know what the facts are and understand what the facts mean.

My regular classes were primarily focused on the first two levels: Knowledge and Comprehension. These involved basic facts and demonstrating basic comprehension of those facts. They mostly watched videos, did worksheets, had classroom discussions, vocabulary tests, etc. Occasionally we branched into higher levels of the Bloom Taxonomy, but we spent most of our time in the bottom two, because of aforementioned problems (hard to have a high-level discussion when a SPEd student can't pay attention for more than 1 minute or can't read).

My college prep (CP) classes kept a lot of the Knowledge and Comprehension aspects -- they still had a lot of facts they needed to know and demonstrate understanding -- but we also did a lot of Application exercises. This basically means that they can take their understanding of a concept and apply it elsewhere. For instance, how can we take Scout's behavior toward Tom Robinson in To Kill a Mockingbird and apply it to our relations with Muslims within the US?

These activities usually took form of essays or presentations or other creative project or classroom discussions. The tests were mainly on the facts at hand, with one or two short answer/essay questions that demonstrated that they could apply the lessons from that unit in other contexts.

Like my CP classes, my advanced classes kept up with the Knowledge and Comprehension stuff, as well as the Application stuff, but their Application was usually a side effect of Analysis, Synthesis and Evaluation. Analysis would be examining the information at hand and breaking it down into discrete units, figuring out the motives or causes for each item. For instance, they would have to analyze each character in To Kill a Mockingbird and discover their motivation and behavior in relation to the trial of Tom Robinson. These activities were often presentations of some kind that allowed each pair or group to present one character to the class.

Synthesis (or Create) would be when I asked my students to create a short graphic novel of their own epic story, in the model of The Odyssey. They used magazines to cut out various photos and put them together into a graphic novel. Some of them turned out incredibly well, and of course I had a few wildly inappropriate stories. They would also write short stories, poems, act out scenes. The idea was to use the application and knowledge and comprehension of the lessons within the text and create a product that demonstrates that they completely understand and can apply the topic at hand.

The Evaluate was a bit tougher, primarily because the main method of investigating the Evaluation aspect was through essays.

Anyway, all of my classes did at least a little bit of each of the levels of Bloom's Taxonomy, but the advanced classes spent most of their time doing Application/Synthesis/Analysis/Evaluation while the CP classes spent their time mostly split between Application and the Knowledge/Comprehension stuff.

Thing is, when you get used to doing the top levels, the bottom levels become so easy. When you can read something and instantly make a connection to something else, it tends to stick in your brain and memorizing facts and understanding what they mean becomes so much easier. So my advanced classes spent far less time memorizing vocabulary words than my regular and CP classes.

Hope that clarifies. Sorry if it's a little long.

"Nice try, Jack!" - Robert Jordan (to Camel)
"Camel must be the coolest TLer ever, by now." -GLotD

A grilled cheese eaten more than five minutes later is just no good. -Crispin

Old 04-04-2010, 11:34 AM
Hero of the Horn

JSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to JSUCamel Send a message via MSN to JSUCamel Send a message via Yahoo to JSUCamel

"Nice try, Jack!" - Robert Jordan (to Camel)
"Camel must be the coolest TLer ever, by now." -GLotD

A grilled cheese eaten more than five minutes later is just no good. -Crispin

Old 04-04-2010, 12:27 PM
Ancient

Neilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy View Post
They say the same thing about California and it's massive amounts of kids and textbook purchasing and it's jacked up whacko left-wing commie pinko hippie tree hugging bunny thumping, uh, stuff.
LoL California can't afford textbooks...

I hear it also has to do with when Texas orders textbooks. IIRC Texas orders in such quantities early enough that it's easier for most states to just order more of the same than to come up with their own textbooks.

About highschool.... I'm probably a little closer to it than most here. I went to a Jesuit highschool and from talking to people who didn't we were a minimum of a year or two ahead academically. And you know what? It was a waste of my goddamn time. There was absolutely nothing there that should have taken me four years to learn. If I could do it again I'd drop out, go to public school and do running start so I could at least bank some easy free college credits.

Now in college learning how to learn on my own I realize that High School is abhorrent. Doing nothing but sitting in a chair listening to lecture after lecture for 6-8 hours with a small lunch break is not conducive to learning. I learn best when I break up my learning with lots of physical activity, fresh air, activities and paying attention to other things. And food. One lunch and one breakfast in a day is fucked. Our education system completely ignores everything we have ever learned about cognitive development and human attention span (caps out at about 15 minutes).

No matter how you slice it, expecting children to sit still and pay attention to a mind numbing lecture for hours at a time is insane.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:33 PM
Ancient

Neilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinistrum View Post
Well didn't you know Dav? We all have to be equal, especially in results. And if we aren't, well then the system just isn't trying hard enough and we need to redistribute resources to those who aren't "as equal" to try harder even it means taking away from those who are "more equal" to do it.
You don't "get" social democracy...
Old 04-04-2010, 12:54 PM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilbert View Post
You don't "get" social democracy...
You've figured that out already? Well done. Now sit still and listen to the remaining 7 hours of his lecture.