art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (1): ShadowbaneX,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Book 12: The Gathering Storm
User Name
Password

Old 11-10-2009, 04:28 PM
Elder

One Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to all

Most believe it is Justice, Artur Hawkwings sword. Rand would remember this from tGH. Not sure if this has been confirmed or not.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:29 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

It has supposedly been confirmed.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:34 PM
Youngling

Blue Nine is an unknown quantity at this point

where did that confirmation come from? There was no mention of it in TGS.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:48 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

It came from one of the moderators at Dragonmount, who supposedly has inside information.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:10 PM
Hero of the Horn

ShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond repute

in this sorta case it's either book signings or super secret sources that cannot be revealed lest the poster be assassinated by Grey Men.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:33 AM
Elder

FelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant future
Default Valan Luca, a Lost One? Shara? Sea Folk?

Tam, it's not directly tGS related but...

Is Valan Luca an ex-Tinker, similar the Luca in Rand's Rhuidean experiences who became "a lost one"?? See the tSR book, Chapter "The Road to the Spear" for that other Luca reference. Both Lucas' are "lost ones"?

• Would this partially explain why Valan Luca's Circus took in low ranking Sea Folk acrobats?
  • Why Valan Luca would use the threat of violent to collect, a silver pennies entrance fee, from those three common Seanchan soldiers (KoD, Ch.7)???
  • And it would explain the design and colors of Valan Luca's wagon.
  • Not to mention some of Valan Luca's tales of visiting Shara previously (tFoH book, Chapter "A Small Room in Sienda" - to Nynaeve)
  • Do giant boar-horses exist in Shara or not; in addition to Seanchan, where Cerandin and her giant boar-horse are really from?

For more see, @TinkerPride at Twitter.com

Last edited by FelixPax; 11-16-2009 at 12:35 AM.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:11 PM
Youngling

Solmancer is an unknown quantity at this point

I admit I haven't looked to see if anyone else has come up with this one, but this is my current project. I don't have books with me to provide quotes, though; it's more speculation based on vague memories of previous events.

That project is:

Rand's "saidin sickness" is caused directly by the Dark One trying to draw him towards the True Power more and more, perhaps exclusively.

In short, there are plenty of things linking Rand to the Dark One that it doesn't seem a stretch for this to be possible.
Old 11-17-2009, 12:54 AM
Youngling

Mat is Better has a spectacular aura aboutMat is Better has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solmancer
In short, there are plenty of things linking Rand to the Dark One that it doesn't seem a stretch for this to be possible.
So do you propose that it was the DO that gave Rand the True Power? My theory is that Rand drew it through Moridin. It just doesn't make sense for the DO to let Rand go when he's got a domination leash on him and as such could kill him or force him to do anything he wanted. The only excuse for that is extreme arrogance I think. I don't see why the DO would need Rand to go to him of his free will.

Last edited by Mat is Better; 11-17-2009 at 02:21 PM.
Old 11-17-2009, 12:33 PM
Hero of the Horn

DahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to DahLliA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat is Better
I don't see why the DO would need Rand to go to him of his free will.
there's a star wars link in there somewhere

"'Profound... huh.' Temper was silent for a long moment, studying the cobbles of the alley mouth. And then he lifted his helmed head, faced Shadowthrone, and said, 'Fuck off.'"
Old 11-17-2009, 02:22 PM
Youngling

Mat is Better has a spectacular aura aboutMat is Better has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by DahLliA
there's a star wars link in there somewhere
The emperor couldn't force Anakin to be bad, as the DO could to Rand with that device on his neck. Am I missing the point entirely?
Old 11-17-2009, 02:24 PM
Hero of the Horn

DahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to DahLliA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat is Better
The emperor couldn't force Anakin to be bad, as the DO could to Rand with that device on his neck. Am I missing the point entirely?
was thinking more about palpatine and luke in return. but I think there's a wagon or two missing from my train of thoughts

"'Profound... huh.' Temper was silent for a long moment, studying the cobbles of the alley mouth. And then he lifted his helmed head, faced Shadowthrone, and said, 'Fuck off.'"
Old 02-23-2010, 08:14 PM
Youngling

Powerslave73 will become famous soon enoughPowerslave73 will become famous soon enough
Default Hope I didn't miss this one...

Hi, kids- I'm new here!
Ok, anyway... I searched for this and didn't find it, so please tell me if this has already been discussed: The possibility that Logain could be a Forsaken in disguise. It seems that every time Logain appears, there are very discriptive phrases used in the narrative, phrases also used almost invariably when Demandred is in the scene.
I know Taim/Demandred was always a popular theory but I never got it. Too obvious.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:30 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslave73 preserves View Post
Hi, kids- I'm new here!
Ok, anyway... I searched for this and didn't find it, so please tell me if this has already been discussed: The possibility that Logain could be a Forsaken in disguise. It seems that every time Logain appears, there are very discriptive phrases used in the narrative, phrases also used almost invariably when Demandred is in the scene.
I know Taim/Demandred was always a popular theory but I never got it. Too obvious.
So you think Demandred let himself be captured and severed...

Taim made sense as Demandred because of his strength in the power, his appearance, the proximity of his arrival-scene to the scene of Demandred at Shayul Ghul, and the fact that everytime he was around Rand, Lews Therin starting raving about Demandred. But then Demandred didn't recognize Flinn in Shadar Logoth, and RJ himself confirmed that Demandred was not Taim (he also said that we hadn't seen Demandred in disguise...)

But Logain? Sorry, but Logain is definitely not even a DF.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:38 PM
Youngling

Powerslave73 will become famous soon enoughPowerslave73 will become famous soon enough

LTT raved any time he saw a man who could channel, and it wasn't just about Demandred. I think the only time he actually mentioned names, he went down a list of male Forsaken.
Do you think any male channeller "lets" himself be captured and gentled? Did Moghedien "let" herself be captured?
I'm not married to this theory, but please...
Old 02-23-2010, 08:40 PM
Youngling

What RJ said, however, if he said that, kinda blows this away.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:49 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslave73 preserves View Post
What RJ said, however, if he said that, kinda blows this away.
If you haven't found the RJ/BS Interview Database yet, you can find a link to it by looking at any post by Terez. Here are the relevant comments:

Here's one from RJ-

Quote:
Crossroads of Twilight book tour 16 January 2003, Dayton OH - Michael Martin reporting

Q: Have we yet seen the alter-ego Demandred presents to the Third Agers on-screen?

A: NO. (I asked twice to make sure.)
Here's an even more recent one from BS-

Quote:
The Gathering Storm Book Tour, Powell's Books, Portland, OR 19 November 2009 - Matrimony Cauthon reporting

Someone asked for clarification about whether we had seen Mesaana's and Demandred's alter-egos on screen. Sanderson said that we had seen Mesaana's alter-ego on screen as of Knife of Dreams, but that we had not seen Demandred's alter-ego on screen as of Knife of Dreams. Sanderson would not elaborate on whether Demandred's alter-ego had been seen in The Gathering Storm—Sanderson didn't want to narrow down the suspects for us if Demandred really had appeared in The Gathering Storm.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:17 AM
Ancient

lurk has a spectacular aura aboutlurk has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to lurk

Quote:
Here's an even more recent one from BS-

Quote:
The Gathering Storm Book Tour, Powell's Books, Portland, OR 19 November 2009 - Matrimony Cauthon reporting

Someone asked for clarification about whether we had seen Mesaana's and Demandred's alter-egos on screen. Sanderson said that we had seen Mesaana's alter-ego on screen as of Knife of Dreams, but that we had not seen Demandred's alter-ego on screen as of Knife of Dreams. Sanderson would not elaborate on whether Demandred's alter-ego had been seen in The Gathering Storm—Sanderson didn't want to narrow down the suspects for us if Demandred really had appeared in The Gathering Storm.
Hmm this kinda blows Danelle from being mesaana, because she was mentioned in TSR when Siun was deposed. Danelle was thought to have brought in the "masons" that started the attack on the tower when Siun was deposed.

Unless Danelle has been killed somewhere before TPoD and Mesaana took her place but that feels like stretching it

"a fox knows many tricks, a hedgehog knows a single good one" by archilochus

Hodie mihi cras tibi (roman epitaph) meaning: today it is me, tomorrow it is you
Old 02-24-2010, 09:33 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

I think that Sanderson meant "up to and including KoD", which would mean that appearing in TSR qualifies, but having a first appearance in TGS does not.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:02 AM
Ancient

lurk has a spectacular aura aboutlurk has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to lurk

crap did i type PoD, jeez i need to read posts better

But it can be interesting to see which (potentially) influential characters have been mentioned for the first time in TGS to find potential demmi candidates
~will go back to book to check~

"a fox knows many tricks, a hedgehog knows a single good one" by archilochus

Hodie mihi cras tibi (roman epitaph) meaning: today it is me, tomorrow it is you
Old 02-24-2010, 06:27 PM
Youngling

Thanks, folks, for setting it straight. Damn!