art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (1): ShadowbaneX,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Book 13: Towers of Midnight
User Name
Password

Old 11-05-2010, 09:00 PM
Elder

AbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant future

As cool as it would be to have Perrin be able to throw his hammer and have it mystically return to him, I think this would be a little cheesy as far as plot devices go. However, I could see him doing something like this in T'A'R; throwing his hammer, and having it return to him boomerang style. In the waking world, however, I think it is simply a nigh indestructible, Shadowspawn burning, Darkhound killing, super Blacksmith forging megahammer.

"He can compress the most words into the smallest idea of any man I ever met."
Abraham Lincoln

Draw a crazy picture, write a nutty poem. Sing a mumble-gumble song, whistle through your comb. Do a loony-goony dance 'cross the kitchen floor. Put something silly in the world that ain't been there before.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:42 PM
Elder

Ieyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
Power-wrought weapons have always had that effect against Shadowspawn.
No they have not.

They have sent up showers of blue sparks when coming into contact with shadow-wrought weapons. That is not the same thing. Can you please provide me a single example of any power-wrought items sizzling, smoking, or flaming up when they come in contact with the flesh of a shadowspawn?
Old 11-05-2010, 09:45 PM
Youngling

Tarion is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ieyasu View Post
No they have not.

They have sent up showers of blue sparks when coming into contact with shadow-wrought weapons. That is not the same thing. Can you please provide me a single example of any power-wrought items sizzling, smoking, or flaming up when they come in contact with the flesh of a shadowspawn?
As far as I know, the only weapons that have shown a similar ability are those wielded by the occasional Darkfriend (Noble looking woman in tEotW for one).
Old 11-05-2010, 09:48 PM
Elder

Ieyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarion View Post
As far as I know, the only weapons that have shown a similar ability are those wielded by the occasional Darkfriend (Noble looking woman in tEotW for one).
Poison.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:41 AM
Ancient

Neilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ieyasu View Post
It wasn't power wrought, and I'm really only bringing this up to be snarky, but Moiraine's switch in the early books left burns on Trollocs. I've always wondered how she did that. We haven't seen anything like it since.
Old 11-06-2010, 04:17 AM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilbert View Post
It wasn't power wrought, and I'm really only bringing this up to be snarky, but Moiraine's switch in the early books left burns on Trollocs. I've always wondered how she did that. We haven't seen anything like it since.
lol
Old 11-07-2010, 08:52 PM
Ancient

Tercel will become famous soon enoughTercel will become famous soon enough

I loved the scene of Perrin's hammer being forged, while at the same time I was thinking "Perrin's making a ter'angreal!? WTF?!". It was awesome that Perrin could use his ta'vereness to help forge his ter'angreal hammer.

But then he used it in battle... and it caused a little bit of burning. That was about the largest anticlimatic fail ever.

There was a huge build up with a both the Male and Female halves of the Power being used in the forging of this AMAZING WEAPON, which is so great it needs a name (I did roll my eyes at that though and think "this had better do something awesome to justify naming it"). And then? Well it's slightly better than the hammer Perrin destroyed in the making of the new hammer, but only slightly.

I propose renaming Perrin's hammer to something more obviously appropriate to the failure that it is. I invite suggestions from TLers. Perhaps: Fail-hammer? Hammer-of-suckfulness? Nutcracker? Hammer of pointlessness? Weapon of anticlimax? Quarter Pounder?

If and when BS reveals a yet-unseen-awesome function of the hammer I will revert to using its real name, but such a name has to be earned. Until then I am going to call it by a more appropriate name indicating its general failure.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:59 PM
Lord of the Board

Tamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tamyrlin
Default I too was surprised

I'm assuming it will have amazing ability against darkhounds...hoping, a lot.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:41 AM
Youngling

smileyman is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tercel View Post
I loved the scene of Perrin's hammer being forged, while at the same time I was thinking "Perrin's making a ter'angreal!? WTF?!". It was awesome that Perrin could use his ta'vereness to help forge his ter'angreal hammer.

But then he used it in battle... and it caused a little bit of burning. That was about the largest anticlimatic fail ever.
I don't know why you thought it was a ter'angeal. It's very clearly just a One-Power forged weapon like the heron marked blades that Rand has owned (Tam's and King Laman's). Neither of those blades has special properties except for never needing to be sharpened and being sharp enough to cut through mail.

No reason to think that a One-Power forged hammer will have any special properties, though I imagine they'll be particularly effective against higher classes of Shadowspan.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:41 PM
Youngling

metaphor will become famous soon enoughmetaphor will become famous soon enough

I like to think it will offer some protection from the One Power or the True Power or both.
I can probably also hammer the shadow out of somebody.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:49 PM
Youngling

Callahan is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamyrlin View Post
I can't remember if we've started discussing this already, but I thought I'd hide the topic in the title.

Perrin's Hammer

I have a hard time believing it won't do more than just well...what it did. Do you think it will have any other abilities currently unknown to us? Any initial ideas/predictions on this?
It will have the ability to scare the hell outta any Seanchan who see it.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:53 PM
Ancient

Tercel will become famous soon enoughTercel will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyman View Post
I don't know why you thought it was a ter'angeal. It's very clearly just a One-Power forged weapon like the heron marked blades that Rand has owned (Tam's and King Laman's). Neither of those blades has special properties except for never needing to be sharpened and being sharp enough to cut through mail.

No reason to think that a One-Power forged hammer will have any special properties, though I imagine they'll be particularly effective against higher classes of Shadowspan.

Try reading the book again.
Three reasons is it clearly a ter'angreal and not just a normal power-forged weapon:
1) Later when Neald tries to make more weapons he finds he can make more power-forged weapons and does so, but he can't work out how to duplicate the special things he did with Perrin's hammer. Perrin's hammer is here contrasted to normal power-forged weapons.
2) When Perrin uses his hammer in battle it does not behave like a normal power-forged weapon, but starts burning the Trollocs slightly.
3) While Neald was making it, Perrin felt his emotions going into the hammer giving the hammer some level of awareness... that is hardly normal for just power forging a weapon, and it immediately tells the reader he is making a ter'angreal not just a hard hammer.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:36 PM
Youngling

metaphor will become famous soon enoughmetaphor will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tercel View Post

Try reading the book again.
Three reasons is it clearly a ter'angreal and not just a normal power-forged weapon:
1) Later when Neald tries to make more weapons he finds he can make more power-forged weapons and does so, but he can't work out how to duplicate the special things he did with Perrin's hammer. Perrin's hammer is here contrasted to normal power-forged weapons.
2) When Perrin uses his hammer in battle it does not behave like a normal power-forged weapon, but starts burning the Trollocs slightly.
3) While Neald was making it, Perrin felt his emotions going into the hammer giving the hammer some level of awareness... that is hardly normal for just power forging a weapon, and it immediately tells the reader he is making a ter'angreal not just a hard hammer.

It does not necessarily have to be a terangreal. It was made in a special ta'veren moment, and Perrin poured himself into it.It may have special qualities deriving from this.
In that it would be even more rare than a terangreal. It would be an unique piece of work.
Terangreal actively use the power and channelers usually seem to realize that something is a TA, even if they don't understand its function.

A curious note, now that Galad is following Perrin's orders. The sigil of House Mantear is a silver anvil
Old 11-08-2010, 11:13 PM
Youngling

smileyman is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphor View Post
It does not necessarily have to be a terangreal. It was made in a special ta'veren moment, and Perrin poured himself into it.It may have special qualities deriving from this.
In that it would be even more rare than a terangreal. It would be an unique piece of work.
Terangreal actively use the power and channelers usually seem to realize that something is a TA, even if they don't understand its function.
Exactly. A ter'angeal (whether or not it needs the One Power to activate it) actively use the One Power and do something. As of yet all we've seen Perrin's hammer do is light up Trollocs when he smashes them.

Now it's possible it might be something more, given the whole Thor thing, but I really don't think there's concrete evidence to suggest that. I mean if it did something more the whole battle where Perrin pulled Galad's bacon out of the fire would've given it ample opportunity to show it. [/quote]

Quote:
A curious note, now that Galad is following Perrin's orders. The sigil of House Mantear is a silver anvil
That is very interesting indeed.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:54 AM
Youngling

Meggles is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by isamu237 View Post
Well, we've already seen it sizzling when he plays whack-a-mole with shadowspawn. Considering he named it Mjolnir, I was kinda hoping for some lightening and sparks.
this made me laugh out loud for like five minutes-well ok I snickered at the image in my head for minutes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt View Post
I expect that Perrin's hammer will harm Darkhounds and likely other shadow spawn that are immune to conventional weapons. With his production of so many power wrought weapons, Perrin's whole army will excel at fighting shadow spawn.
I am supposing as others have that it will perhaps have some special properties against Darkhounds. They made such a to do about that big pack running around- oh that lead me to thoughts about the Broken Wolf- could the Broken Wolf be Hopper?
Old 11-09-2010, 07:15 AM
Youngling

scoobin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tool and weapon

Much is made of the fact that that the hammer is a tool and a weapon. I'm thinking Perrin is going to be a part of breaking the seals and or forging the resealing of the bore.

I thought Perrin saw Galad's signet ring in the wolf dream and it was a dagger with wings. That doesn't jive with the anvil. Thoughts?
Old 11-09-2010, 07:28 AM
Youngling

morat'corlm is a splendid one to beholdmorat'corlm is a splendid one to beholdmorat'corlm is a splendid one to beholdmorat'corlm is a splendid one to beholdmorat'corlm is a splendid one to beholdmorat'corlm is a splendid one to beholdmorat'corlm is a splendid one to beholdmorat'corlm is a splendid one to beholdmorat'corlm is a splendid one to beholdmorat'corlm is a splendid one to behold

The smith's hammer from TDR was both a tool and a weapon. A four-foot-long warhammer... perhaps a little less so.

I do like the idea that Mjollnir will be used to destroy the seals, though.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:52 AM
Youngling

lowlandr is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by callahan View Post
It will have the ability to scare the hell outta any Seanchan who see it.
the Seanchan prophecy said that "When the Wolf King carries the hammer, thus are the final days known. [...]" (KoD, ch 4) Perrin is wearing the hammer, but the Seanchan know TG is knocking on the door. So I don't expect anything much from this angle.

The hammer was made by a smith-ta'veren being surrounded by male and female channelers working together on the weaves. Throw in a super-ta'verenmoment in which he truely accepted himself in a position of leadership and responcibility and gave Neald the 'feel' of the right weaves. Personally I don't it will happen again, Perrin has accepted himself.

If you look closely the smitting of the hammer represents the 'smitting' of Perrin throughout the story. First having various parts he didn't understand (just collecting and hammering various parts), knowing his various sides about himself but not accepting (resisting) himself (he didn't know what he was making, eventhough he was smitting), the process of accepting who he is and his position in the world (realising what he was making), and fully accepted he is a leader and has the 'tools' for the job (and finishing the hammer).

I don't know what THE HAMMER can or can not do. 'Returning' sounds indeed a bit cheesy. I like the idea of 'converting' Darkhounds back to wolves, but I don't expect it. It might turn them back to wolves the moment they die by the hammer.

Death shall sow, and summer burn, before the Great Lord comes.
Death shall reap, and bodies fail, before the Great Lord comes.
Again the seed slays ancient wrong, before the Great Lord comes.

Now the Great Lord comes.
Old 11-09-2010, 03:02 PM
Hero of the Horn

ShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond repute

Just bring able to kill Darkhounds would be a bit of a bonus. So far, balefire is really the best way of doing it. Also something else I noticed last night, the Hammer is in someway tied to Perrin's emotions or at least responds in some way to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToM; Chapter 41 - An Unexpected Ally
"I'm going anyway," Perrin said. "Jori, go get the Two Rivers men and the Asha'man. I'll need them to soften the Trollocs for my charge." He looked down again. Memories of the Two Rivers flooded his mind. Blood. Death. Mah'alleinir grew warmer in his fist. "I won't leave them to it, Gallenne. Not even them. Will you join me?"
What effect that will have, I don't know. Perhaps it only sears Shadowspawn now, but it might do more if he losses himself in a berserker rage or something, like say, when confronting Darkhounds or, perhaps, Shaidar Haran.