art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (2): tfyhughtiffany, rtolhurstalle,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - Non Wot Discussion Boards > Archived: Non WoT Related Discussion 09/08 - 09/09
User Name
Password

Old 07-09-2009, 09:46 AM
Inbred, Ugly, and Drunk on Corn Liquor

Sei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Drawing a blank here...

What do you call it when Wile E. Coyote does something and it goes wrong and leads to something else...damn, I don't even know how to explain it....

Alright, he drops a rock, it hits a stick, see saws up and throws another rock in the air, which slams into a U shaped cliff bottom, comes back down on the stick and throws the original rock up again, which lands on the coyote and breaks off the cliff which falls to the ground and lands on him all over again.

They use it a lot in looney tunes and there's a name for it...a something device. Does anyone remember?

www.buckeyestation.com look at it, love it, share it with your friends!
Old 07-09-2009, 09:52 AM
Elder

123seem is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to 123seem

Rube Goldberg?
Old 07-09-2009, 09:56 AM

Sei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123seem
Rube Goldberg?
Woohooo...you rock!

OK, alert is over, everyone may continue on with their day...nothing to see here...move along...

Old 07-09-2009, 09:58 AM
Ancient

Zanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant future

Enjoy
the only Z

fairy dust for sale 8.99 per vial

"YES!" - Cary Sedai

"Perhaps science,... [is] simply magic with delusions of lack of grandeur." -Peter David, Restoration

The Greatest Thread
Old 07-09-2009, 10:14 AM
Elder

123seem is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to 123seem

you're welcome Sei
Old 07-09-2009, 10:25 AM
Hero of the Horn

Frenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Frenzy Send a message via Yahoo to Frenzy

does this have anything to do with you falling down a storm drain manhole and screwing up your knee?

"How the hell do you Godwin a thread with CUCUMBERS!!?" -- Tru

"I love cucumber prawn... " -- Ivhon

"Have to catch me first. Scared shitless always outruns mad as hell." -- Sinistrum

"Some days I'm happy Frenzy doesn't live next door." -- Tamyrlin

"So Frenzy is a scientist then?" -- Davian
"Well duh. An Evil scientist. " -- Khoram
Old 07-09-2009, 10:38 AM
Hero of the Horn

Ishara has disabled reputation
Send a message via MSN to Ishara

LOL. Love the description Sei. <3

Rand: You are an insensitive bastard!!!
Mat: And you ruined another hat!

It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by lightening. -- Calvin

"Gee, I wish I could do magic! Maybe I'll try!" --SDog

Official Vixen of Theoryland and Theoryland Siren

Grain Goddess, the Rood Inverse, the Mad Glomper
Old 07-09-2009, 10:45 AM
Hero of the Horn

Ivhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Ivhon Send a message via Yahoo to Ivhon

that was a great rube goldberg, Zan.

I have the best of book somewhere in my house...maybe I should come up with a device that pulls it off the shelf and opens it...

Proud owner of the first post on TL's VBulletin forum (sorry...I had ta )

Greeter Emeritus
Old 07-09-2009, 10:52 AM

thanks Zan. I would never have the patience for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy
does this have anything to do with you falling down a storm drain manhole and screwing up your knee?
No, this has to do with a drought, inept utility company, bad soil cement, stupid developer, and a complaining homeowners association.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:57 AM

it made a nice add-on to an email. I figure they'll have to look it up which makes it even more fun. Not that I would fuck with anyone on purpose...

Old 07-09-2009, 12:14 PM
Hero of the Horn

DahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to DahLliA

awesome link zan

"'Profound... huh.' Temper was silent for a long moment, studying the cobbles of the alley mouth. And then he lifted his helmed head, faced Shadowthrone, and said, 'Fuck off.'"
Old 07-09-2009, 12:29 PM
Hero of the Horn

Crispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond repute

I thought a Rube Goldberg was a ridiculously complicated machine for performing a simple task. What ST describes is more like a comedy of errors...or...something with a different name.

Hmm...I'm going to have to wrack my brain.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispin's Crispian
I thought a Rube Goldberg was a ridiculously complicated machine for performing a simple task. What ST describes is more like a comedy of errors...or...something with a different name.

Hmm...I'm going to have to wrack my brain.
I'll post the email when I get back to the office. I think I called it "a rube goldberg type scenario"

Old 07-09-2009, 01:59 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

I never did finish my Rube Goldberg projects in physics. I'm not sure how I made the grades I did, considering (I think I got a B and a C in two years of physics). I didn't have much luck with the balsa wood tower either...
Old 07-09-2009, 03:16 PM
Elder

cottillion is on a distinguished road

Reminds me of a legal case I had in one of my law classes even though the case is on a somewhat less comical level. They referred to it as something like unforeseeable sequence of events.
The case was a man tried to run and jump on the train and started to slip. One of the employees on board grabbed him and pulled him on to keep him from falling. When this happened he dropped his package which fell, hit the rails and exploded. The package was nondescript but contained fireworks. The concussion from the explosion caused scales on the other end of the platform to fall injuring a woman.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:19 PM
Hero of the Horn

Gilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond repute

I imagine the explosion would have been worse had the guy fallen on the tracks. Then he probably would have derailed the train.

By: Steampunk Boba Fett
Old 07-09-2009, 03:23 PM
Elder

cottillion is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilshalos Sedai
I imagine the explosion would have been worse had the guy fallen on the tracks. Then he probably would have derailed the train.
I don't think the guy falling would have caused the fireworks to explode any more then they did but yeah it would have been worse. I believe they ended up in favor of the employee saying that she was outside his reasonable range of responsibility and there was no way he could tell the box contained anything dangerous. I know the case was a close decision and it dealt with unintentional torts but I don't remember all the specifics of the decision.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:02 PM
Hero of the Horn

Ivhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Ivhon Send a message via Yahoo to Ivhon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottillion
I don't think the guy falling would have caused the fireworks to explode any more then they did but yeah it would have been worse. I believe they ended up in favor of the employee saying that she was outside his reasonable range of responsibility and there was no way he could tell the box contained anything dangerous. I know the case was a close decision and it dealt with unintentional torts but I don't remember all the specifics of the decision.
I would imagine a successful lawsuit against the man, the train company, the employee on the train, whatever entity operates the train depot, the construction company that built the platform, the fireworks company and the vendor that sold the fireworks.

Proud owner of the first post on TL's VBulletin forum (sorry...I had ta )

Greeter Emeritus
Old 07-09-2009, 05:06 PM
Ancient

Zanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant future

One from Japan

*note:its ramen the egg is a traditional addition
the only Z

fairy dust for sale 8.99 per vial

"YES!" - Cary Sedai

"Perhaps science,... [is] simply magic with delusions of lack of grandeur." -Peter David, Restoration

The Greatest Thread
Old 07-09-2009, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Alright, you asked for it. Here’s a list of the problems, pretty much in order.

1 Jim Developer and Jackie F'in Developer did not pay MLG&W to compact backfill in the trenches for gas or electric outside of the streets. Nothing under the curb or behind it was properly compacted. (I have pictures) Pure stuipidity on their part.

2 . In 2000 we were in a drought, so everything was very dry and wouldn’t compact well unless water was added to it during compaction and even then it didn’t pack well. The Contractor tried, the developer was too stupid or too ignorant to pay for a permit to use water, since we were in a drought and it would have been very expensive at the time.

3. The soil cement contractor did not use enough water during mixing of the cement. See #2.

4. I was told by Jim Developer that he had the soil cement cored a year or two ago and it did not have the required amount of cement in it. (not saying he's lying, but this guy isn't ever on the level, if you know what I mean) According to testing reports from Hall, Blake and Assoc., testing done during soil cementing shows the soil to cement ratio was correct. Since we do not do our own testing, this is all I have to tell me that it is correct.

So, if you put all four of these together, and add in a wet fall and winter, you have problems. Water goes into the trenches MLG&W didn’t compact, follows the trench into the street, hits the very dry soils in the street, made even drier by the cement, and the soils and the cement begin soaking up the water. It finds the trenches in the street for water, sewer and drainage, follows those and the street begins to collapse. Add this to the possibility (I have reports that it was correct and word of mouth that it was incorrect, you make that call) that the soil to cement ratio was incorrect and you have a weak sub-base now trying to hold up the street. That really wouldn’t matter that much, since the other problems pile up in a rube goldberg type scenario.

There are only two ways to fix it; repair the spots as they show up or tear the entire street out of the subdivision and completely start over.
And then you have his email to the Lawyer, edited from my own.

Quote:
Mr. Lawyer: Per your request, I have contacted Todd Chapman, the City’s construction inspector who inspected Devonshire Gardens, to provide me a review of the level of inspection the City performed on the private streets located within that subdivision that are allegedly failing.
The following information is the understanding of the events of Mr. Chapman:

1. The curbs. The developer, Jim is the president and chief manager and signee of the development contract) presumably did not pay MLG&W to compact backfill in the trenches it had dug for gas and electric lines immediately behind the curbs. This may explain the failure of the curbs. Not only did MLG&W fail to compact the soil in its trenches, the work was performed in 2000, a year in which a severe drought occurred. Typically, rain will help soil compact if improperly filled.

2. The street subsurface. Mr. Developer told Mr. Chapman that he had the soil cement subsurface of the street “cored” a year or two ago and it did not have the required amount of cement in it. This conflicts with the formal report the City received from Hall, Blake and Assoc., whose testing done during soil cementing indicated the soil-to-cement ratio was correct. Since the City does not have the capability of testing soil cement, it must rely on reports of this type.

These two problems create a scenario in which rain water flows into the improperly compacted MLG&W trenches, under the curb, hits the dry soils under the street which have been made drier by the over-abundance of cement and the soil/cement mix begins soaking up the water. The water tends to flow to the areas under the street where the water, sewer and drainage pipes exist, causing this infrastructure to collapse.

So, to answer your question on the level of City review of private streets, it appears we did inspect the streets at the time they were constructed, but the failures that we have witnessed appear to have occurred as the result of work either subsequent to the original review or presumably faulty reporting.

According to Mr. Chapman, there are only two ways to fix the problem: repair the spots as they show up or tear the entire street out of the subdivision and completely start over. I think the Association, which is not privy to all of the information as we know it, is tending towards the latter option. It appears that the statute of repose would bar any contract action by the City against the Developer, other than calling the low bond that remains.

Thank you,