art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (1): ShadowbaneX,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - Non Wot Discussion Boards > Archived: Non WoT Related Discussion 09/08 - 09/09
User Name
Password

Old 07-23-2009, 01:05 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez
Default Health care press conference

Did anyone else watch it? I missed the first 20 minutes or so, but the following 40 minutes were fairly educational. Most of his questions were the leading type, from the opposition, and there was only one he didn't answer (saying he needed to look into the claim).

Also, his use of the red pill/blue pill metaphor was cute...

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/...n5182101.shtml
Old 07-23-2009, 01:25 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

I thought he was very weak...not a good performance for the big man.

Also, why the hell did he mention that whole "black professor wrongly arrested" thing?

1. It has nothing to do with the topic of Health Care.

2. Its a local and state issue, he shouldn't throw his two cents in on it without knowing the whole story (which, he admitted, he didn't).

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 07-23-2009, 01:26 PM
Hero of the Horn

Gilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond repute

For the same reason they brought up that whole baseball bullshit at one of the other press conferences.

Dav: performance?

By: Steampunk Boba Fett
Old 07-23-2009, 01:30 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Dav: performance?
Well honestly think about the real purpose of a press conference. He could very easily put out a written statement or release on why he wants the Health Care to go forward. A press conference is a choreographed performance to build support for it...at least in this case. I don't think he did all that great a job...especially considering what a good speaker he usually is.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 07-23-2009, 01:32 PM
Hero of the Horn

Gilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, but I'd only use the word "performance" in reference to Regan.

Old 07-23-2009, 01:34 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilshalos Sedai
Yeah, but I'd only use the word "performance" in reference to Regan.
Ronald Reagan? The Actor?!?

Old 07-23-2009, 01:41 PM
Hero of the Horn

Yeah, you know, gotta be an actor so you can look good in front of the camera.

Old 07-23-2009, 01:42 PM
Hero of the Horn

JSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to JSUCamel Send a message via MSN to JSUCamel Send a message via Yahoo to JSUCamel

First of all, a reporter brought up the Dr. Gates thing, not Obama, so there's that. Unless you're one of those who believes the whole thing is scripted.

I was just talking to Tam about this.

If Obama is right about these things (and he certainly believes he is), then we could be on the way out of this shithole we're in. But if we're wrong, we could be very, very screwed.

In some ways, I'm inclined to believe that he's no different from the previous Presidents, but I'm trying really, really hard to give him the benefit of the doubt and withhold judgment until we see some results (whether positive or negative). And before anyone accuses me of being partisan for trying to give him benefit of the doubt, I did the same for Bush during his first term.

"Nice try, Jack!" - Robert Jordan (to Camel)
"Camel must be the coolest TLer ever, by now." -GLotD

A grilled cheese eaten more than five minutes later is just no good. -Crispin

Old 07-23-2009, 01:43 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

He put it in there because people want to know his opinion on it, not only because of his race and position, but because he went to Harvard and knows the guy. It was a relatively high-publicity press conference, so it was a good opportunity to put his opinion out there, and he only spent about 2 minutes on it.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:46 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez
He put it in there because people want to know his opinion on it, not only because of his race and position, but because he went to Harvard and knows the guy. It was a relatively high-publicity press conference, so it was a good opportunity to put his opinion out there, and he only spent about 2 minutes on it.
and

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camel
First of all, a reporter brought up the Dr. Gates thing, not Obama, so there's that. Unless you're one of those who believes the whole thing is scripted

And the smart response would be "We're here to talk about Health Care". Look at the stupid controversy he caused in the morning press as a result. No one's talking about the health care but they are talking about his comments...enough so that the White House Press Office had to issue a clarification to his remarks. Not a good move on his part to answer the question. That's my point. Answer that question at another time when you're not trying to monumentally change our Nation's health care system.

Old 07-23-2009, 01:50 PM
Hero of the Horn

Meh, the press will be idiots either way. If we're not capable of separating 58 minutes of health care from 2 minutes of commentary on a current event, then we've got a problem, don't you think?
Old 07-23-2009, 01:51 PM
Hero of the Horn

We have a problem.

Old 07-23-2009, 01:51 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez
Meh, the press will be idiots either way. If we're not capable of separating 58 minutes of health care from 2 minutes of commentary on a current event, then we've got a problem, don't you think?
Of course we've got a problem and someone who is as saavy at manipulating the press as Obama has been should have recognized it and declined to answer.

Old 07-23-2009, 01:52 PM
Inbred, Ugly, and Drunk on Corn Liquor

Sei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond repute

Tbh, this is the first press conference I've watched, but if that was good I can't believe the guy gets all these kudos for being a great speaker. As far as I could tell, and it was hard to tell from his rambling answers, he only answered one question and that was the one about cspan and he pretty much blew off most of that one.

I have to agree with Davian, it was weak. The NYtimes is even talking about how bad it was.

www.buckeyestation.com look at it, love it, share it with your friends!

Last edited by Sei'taer; 07-23-2009 at 01:57 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:58 PM
Ancient

Zanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant future

Quote:
Yeah, you know, gotta be an actor so you can look good in front of the camera.

It is 2009 in 2015 it will be what it was in Back to the Future

and...

I want my flying car dammit!!
the only Z

fairy dust for sale 8.99 per vial

"YES!" - Cary Sedai

"Perhaps science,... [is] simply magic with delusions of lack of grandeur." -Peter David, Restoration

The Greatest Thread
Old 07-23-2009, 02:00 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanguini
It is 2009 in 2015 it will be what it was in Back to the Future

and...

I want my flying car dammit!!
I want a hoverboard.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:24 PM
Hero of the Horn

JSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to JSUCamel Send a message via MSN to JSUCamel Send a message via Yahoo to JSUCamel

I don't have any answers. All I know is that the health care system is FUBAR.

A few weeks ago, I went to see fireworks down at Navy Pier in Chicago. As soon as the fireworks were over, my friend and I stood up and headed over to the train. I got a sharp pain in my side, which quickly turned into a cramp. After maybe 50 meters, I started blacking out from the pain. I sat down, waited for the feeling to pass. Normally, I'd just go home, take some Tylenol, and deal with it.

I stood up and promptly threw up.

I never throw up.

I tried to walk again, and my vision started blacking out again and I was nauseous. My friend called an EMT team over, and they asked me a few questions and then suggested I go to the ER. Given my medical history and the severity of the pain, I agreed.

At the ER, I saw a doctor, who promptly gave me some pain medication. When the pain subsided a bit, I was able to describe the symptoms in more detail. She gave me a quick physical checkup and said "It's probably a kidney stone. Normally, I'd send you home with some pain meds and let you sleep it off, but your pain is so severe and given your history, I want to get a CT scan to make sure everything's okay."

I passed out from the pain + pain med combo. Woke up in Radiology, had a CT scan, passed out again, woke up in the ER room.

I had not one but three stones.

After three hours in the ER, the stones were passed and I was sent on my merry way home, doped up on hydrocodone. On my way out, I asked the doctor "Is this gonna count as an emergency? Last time I went to the ER, my insurance said it wasn't an emergency and wouldn't cover it..." She smiled at me and said "Yes, this is an emergency. Don't worry about it."

Two weeks later, I received a statement from my insurance company. They did indeed cover it, and the total cost to me was $50. I checked to see how much they had been billed.

ER fee: $2200
Pharmacy: $900
Lab tests: $400
Radiology: $4500
Total: $8000

If I had not had health insurance, a three hour ER visit would have cost me 1/5 of my yearly income. That's almost a year worth of rent. It's more than my car's worth.

Eight thousand dollars for three hours of the (admittedly gorgeous) nurse telling me everything's going to be okay, a CT scan, and a couple pills of pain medicine.

Is that reasonable? At all?

Absolutely not.

I don't have any answers. But something needs to change.

Now.

"Nice try, Jack!" - Robert Jordan (to Camel)
"Camel must be the coolest TLer ever, by now." -GLotD

A grilled cheese eaten more than five minutes later is just no good. -Crispin

Last edited by JSUCamel; 07-23-2009 at 02:28 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:33 PM
Ancient

Zanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSUCamel
Eight thousand dollars for three hours of the (admittedly gorgeous) nurse telling me everything's going to be okay, a CT scan, and a couple pills of pain medicine.

Ah... thats because they charged you for the Champagne Room.
1000 for ER and Scan charges
7000 for the Champagne Room.
the only Z

"YES!" - Cary Sedai

"Perhaps science,... [is] simply magic with delusions of lack of grandeur." -Peter David, Restoration

The Greatest Thread
Old 07-23-2009, 02:37 PM
Hero of the Horn

Cost us about $14000-20000 for Bryan's emergency appendectomy right after we were married. I was on an 80/20 plan then. Our portion, after the $80 co-pay? $2000.

I agree the system's screwed up. I just don't think this congress is going to get it fixed. There won't be enough checks on the Dems to stop any stupidity. (I'd say the same about any party that has a majority.)

Old 07-23-2009, 02:40 PM
Ancient

Quote:
Cost us about $14000-20000 for Bryan's emergency appendectomy right after we were married. I was on an 80/20 plan then. Our portion, after the $80 co-pay? $2000.

I agree the system's screwed up. I just don't think this congress is going to get it fixed. There won't be enough checks on the Dems to stop any stupidity. (I'd say the same about any party that has a majority.)

Ah but a party that doesnt have a majority or a large majority cant get anything done because the other party hates them more than they want to get things done.
the only Z

"YES!" - Cary Sedai

The Greatest Thread

Tags
health care