art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (1): uausnaughbroo,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - Non Wot Discussion Boards > Archived: Non WoT Related Discussion 09/08 - 09/09
User Name
Password

Old 08-13-2009, 12:52 AM
Ancient

Jalyn is a glorious beacon of lightJalyn is a glorious beacon of lightJalyn is a glorious beacon of lightJalyn is a glorious beacon of lightJalyn is a glorious beacon of lightJalyn is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to Jalyn Send a message via MSN to Jalyn Send a message via Yahoo to Jalyn
Default The thread where Jalyn goes off

So, I didn't want to interrupt the "what made me laugh today" thread with political BS, but this pissed me off to no end:

Quote:
This also makes me laugh:

http://thinkprogress.org/2009/08/10/gladney-uninsured/

Right Wing Anti-Health Care Reform Icon Uninsured- Classic unintentional hillarity.
So, what exactly made you laugh here?

The fact that a man was beaten for trying to sell flags?

The fact that a black man was beaten and had racial insults thrown at him for daring to be a conservative?

The idea of union thugs beating someone for daring to display "don't tread on me?"

That a person has determined that he can't afford or doesn't currently want to pay for health insurance would have to pay out of pocket for his care because a couple of union thugs decided that it was "an attack on America" for a black man to not want everyone else to have to have to deal with any medical problems that he happens to have?

I guess I don't get it. What's funny? Other than the liberal thugs forgetting their "Oh, wait, we're not supposed to be racist" meme. That is amusing in a "not funny in damn way" way.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:03 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Why do you keep mentioning that he's black? No one else did...

No, it's not funny that he was beaten - obviously no one here approves of violence. I'm pretty sure that the 'funny' aspect is obvious to everyone...not sure why it isn't obvious to you.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:28 AM
Ancient

Jalyn is a glorious beacon of lightJalyn is a glorious beacon of lightJalyn is a glorious beacon of lightJalyn is a glorious beacon of lightJalyn is a glorious beacon of lightJalyn is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to Jalyn Send a message via MSN to Jalyn Send a message via Yahoo to Jalyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez
Why do you keep mentioning that he's black? No one else did...

No, it's not funny that he was beaten - obviously no one here approves of violence. I'm pretty sure that the 'funny' aspect is obvious to everyone...not sure why it isn't obvious to you.
I kept mentioning that he's black because Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton didn't. I kept mentioning that he was black because if black union thug had been beaten at pro-Obamacare rally I'd never hear the end of it.

And I don't see what's funny, because I see nothing funny about it.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:51 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Well, it's not funny any more, since according to the update on the article, the guy has health insurance through his wife. In light of that information, however, it's unclear why he's soliciting donations to help pay for his medical expenses...
Old 08-13-2009, 02:00 AM
Ancient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez
Well, it's not funny any more, since according to the update on the article, the guy has health insurance through his wife. In light of that information, however, it's unclear why he's soliciting donations to help pay for his medical expenses...
You really don't get why his NOT having insurance to cover a beating by anti-universal health coverage thugs proves the damn point do you? You seriously don't understand why that would make him a damn hero.
I can rail against Obamacare as much as I want, I think it's destructive to our nation, but I have insurance. If a bunch of union thugs decide to put me in the hospital, my care is taken care of - for someone without insurance to make the same choice - to not think that is anyone's responsibility but their own - that's a damn hero. And, as a note, it's not funny.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:24 AM
Hero of the Horn

JSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to JSUCamel Send a message via MSN to JSUCamel Send a message via Yahoo to JSUCamel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalyn
So, what exactly made you laugh here?
I didn't think it was funny, but I can take a guess as to why someone else might think it is. The article suggests (and links to other articles that flat out say) that the guy was a plant to make the proposed plan look bad. In fact, one of the linked articles has a link to an alleged video of the confrontation and alleges that the black guy you mentioned is walking around just fine after supposedly being beaten up (while the alleged thugs are on the ground and have been beaten up).

*shrug* I don't find it remotely interesting at all though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalyn
You really don't get why his NOT having insurance to cover a beating by anti-universal health coverage thugs proves the damn point do you?
I'm confused. The bit you quoted from terez's last post indicated that the article had been updated. If you read the article, it explains that the guy HAS insurance, he's NOT uninsured. Therefore, he's not a hero -- he's an actor. His point may be valid, but his insinuations regarding his own situation were not.

"Nice try, Jack!" - Robert Jordan (to Camel)
"Camel must be the coolest TLer ever, by now." -GLotD

A grilled cheese eaten more than five minutes later is just no good. -Crispin

Last edited by JSUCamel; 08-13-2009 at 03:40 AM.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:07 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Let me try to spell it out:

This guy is campaigning against health care reform, because he believes that the current situation (where not everyone can afford care) is superior to the proposal under which such care would be available to all.
He gets injured.
He needs treatment.
He can't pay for it.
Suddenly, instead of following the principles he campaigned for and doing without the care he can't pay for, he is begging other people to help him out, as they would have done under the scheme he was protesting against.

The funny thing is simply that his hypocrisy is exposed. Of course, it's not really a surprising thing, since few right wingers are smart and capable enough to hide their hypocrisy from even accidental scrutiny, so it not very funny either.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:18 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat
Suddenly, instead of following the principles he campaigned for and doing without the care he can't pay for, he is begging other people to help him out, as they would have done under the scheme he was protesting against.
I think you meant to say "he is begging other people to help him out, as he would not need to do (universal healthcare and all that) under the scheme he was protesting against"

personally, I don't think it's funny. it's sad and pathetic all around.

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Old 08-13-2009, 06:28 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

It would be just sad and pathetic if they were merely stupid enough to believe their own propaganda. The fact that they try to force the idiocy on others transforms it. And the fact that his attempt to force on onto others backfired and forced him to face the consequences of his own stance makes it funny.
The fact that he is using the "do as we say, not as we do" approach is just Republican Party business as usual.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:38 AM
Ancient

StrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant future

Spectator #1: Outrageous! How dare he say such blasphemy! I've got to do something!
Spectator #2: Bob, there's nothing you can do.
Spectator #1: Well, I guess I'll just have to develop a sense of humor.

"My country, right or wrong," is a thing that no patriot would think of saying except in a desperate case. It is like saying, "My mother, drunk or sober."- G.K. Chesterton

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."- Calvin
Old 08-13-2009, 09:12 AM
Inbred, Ugly, and Drunk on Corn Liquor

Sei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The fact that he is using the "do as we say, not as we do" approach is just Republican Party business as usual.

Now that, is Damn funny!

www.buckeyestation.com look at it, love it, share it with your friends!
Old 08-13-2009, 10:51 AM
Hero of the Horn

John Snow is just really niceJohn Snow is just really niceJohn Snow is just really niceJohn Snow is just really niceJohn Snow is just really niceJohn Snow is just really nice

Princess, you are coming really close to trolling. You seem to have the idea that we're a bunch of liberals who need educating.
a) Not true, we have a moderate-to-classic conservative bent here (except for those daggone Europeans and the occassional true radical, me)
2) we're a pretty damn smart bunch who will pick up on the baloney factor apparently quicker than you do.
z) be careful about titles like "princess" around here.

Last edited by John Snow; 08-13-2009 at 11:34 AM.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:18 PM
Hero of the Horn

ShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Snow
a) Not true, we have a moderate-to-classic conservative bent here (except for those daggone Europeans and the occassional true radical, me)
*aHEM*
Old 08-13-2009, 12:22 PM
Hero of the Horn

Gilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, Snow... you forgot those radical Canadians.

By: Steampunk Boba Fett
Old 08-13-2009, 12:25 PM
Hero of the Horn

Are Americans supposed to know that Canadia is not in Europe?
Old 08-13-2009, 12:27 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Are Americans supposed to know that Canadia is not in Europe?
Sometimes we forget where it is...all tucked away down there.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 08-13-2009, 12:49 PM
Hero of the Horn

John Snow is just really niceJohn Snow is just really niceJohn Snow is just really niceJohn Snow is just really niceJohn Snow is just really niceJohn Snow is just really nice
Default Oh, sorry SBX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowbaneX
*aHEM*
You're a radical too?
Old 08-13-2009, 01:10 PM
Inbred, Ugly, and Drunk on Corn Liquor

Sei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93
Sometimes we forget where it is...all tucked away down there.
Canadia has great food. Szechuan chicken, moo goo gai pan, egg foo yung, fried rice, msg, General Tso's chicken, fragrant beef.....yummy, all of it!

www.buckeyestation.com look at it, love it, share it with your friends!
Old 08-13-2009, 01:18 PM
Hero of the Horn

Brita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sei'taer
Canadia has great food. Szechuan chicken, moo goo gai pan, egg foo yung, fried rice, msg, General Tso's chicken, fragrant beef.....yummy, all of it!
Intervention time:

Sei, I think you have a food obsession. The first step is admitting you have a problem....

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. ― Anthony Bourdain
Old 08-13-2009, 02:39 PM
Ancient

StrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant future

Canada- America's Attic.

It's where we keep all that neat stuff we used to have, like neighborliness, progressive thought, trees, buffalo, and indigenous peoples.

"My country, right or wrong," is a thing that no patriot would think of saying except in a desperate case. It is like saying, "My mother, drunk or sober."- G.K. Chesterton

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."- Calvin

Tags
health care