art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - Non Wot Discussion Boards > Archived: Non WoT Related Discussion 09/08 - 09/09
User Name
Password

Old 08-26-2009, 03:28 AM
Hero of the Horn

JSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to JSUCamel Send a message via MSN to JSUCamel Send a message via Yahoo to JSUCamel
Default TL Chat Counter

For those of you using Firefox and the Greasemonkey add-on, I've created a Greasemonkey script that will show you how many people are in TL Chat at any given time.

If you don't have Greasemonkey, go to Tools->Addons and then search for Greasemonkey. Install it, restart the browser, then come back here.

Click here to install the new TL Chat Counter script.

Let me know if you have any problems.

For those of you not using Firefox and Greasemonkey.. you're SOL until Tam adds the code I sent him awhile back.

"Nice try, Jack!" - Robert Jordan (to Camel)
"Camel must be the coolest TLer ever, by now." -GLotD

A grilled cheese eaten more than five minutes later is just no good. -Crispin

Old 08-26-2009, 11:50 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

If given the option, anyone who isn't using Firefox is stupid. Its far far better than IE.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 08-26-2009, 12:28 PM
Hero of the Horn

Sarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93
If given the option, anyone who isn't using Firefox is stupid. Its far far better than IE.
I would like to point out that I resent being called stupid.

the Grey Viper, the Lord of Forsaken Roads, the Pink Sunset
Old 08-26-2009, 12:44 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarevok
I would like to point out that I resent being called stupid.
Have you tried Firefox? Its far far superior to IE.

I didn't mean it to be that insulting, Sare.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 08-26-2009, 12:46 PM
Hero of the Horn

Gilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond repute

Some people are at work, Dav and are forced to use the browser installed.

Unlike myself who DL'ed firefox without permission and later asked forgiveness. But then, I've been working here just as long as I've been at TL. Seniority has it's privledges.

By: Steampunk Boba Fett
Old 08-26-2009, 12:47 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilshalos Sedai
Some people are at work, Dav and are forced to use the browser installed.

Unlike myself who DL'ed firefox without permission and later asked forgiveness. But then, I've been working here just as long as I've been at TL. Seniority has it's privledges.
That's why I prefaced my comment with "if given the option". I am at work and am forced to use IE right now. However, on my home PCs its Firefox all the way.

Old 08-26-2009, 03:15 PM
Hero of the Horn

Sarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Have you tried Firefox? Its far far superior to IE.
I tried it, never found out what people find so good about it.

the Grey Viper, the Lord of Forsaken Roads, the Pink Sunset
Old 08-26-2009, 05:42 PM
Hero of the Horn

Dragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Dragon Thief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarevok
I tried it, never found out what people find so good about it.
Well, many of the newer browser features either started with FireFox or were perfected there - tabbed browsing, extensions & addons, remembering the last page you were on, etc. So even if you're using a newer version of IE that has some of these features, it's just playing catch-up to what everyone else already had for the most part. That's a good point to remember for the average user.

But the real reason is for the web development community. Think of it this way. You write up this nice essay for a college term paper. You turn it in. But you're teacher, Professor IE, isn't really fluid in your language - so he misinterprets roughly 20% of your paper and deducts the same amount from your grade.

Meanwhile, I wrote the exact same eassay, but had a different teacher - Dr. FireFox - who understood my language near perfectly, and thus I got an A on my paper while you're stuck with a C.

That's the difference. IE doesn't actually follow most of the rules for programming on the web - which means programmers working with web development have to code stuff correctly, and then break it on purpose to make it work in IE. So we hate IE. We'd like to burn it and cover it in huge pile of slimy, smelly elephant poo. And then burn it again. And then pour burning sulfuric acid on it. And then burn it again. And then grind the dust and ash leftovers into a paste. And then burn that paste. And then take the burnt paste and put them in a time capsule, so that 20 years into the future we can open it and burn it again.

That's how much we hate IE. Most especially IE 6, which never saw a programming standard it didn't screw up or just flat-out ignore.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:15 AM
Hero of the Horn

tworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to tworiverswoman

Don't hold back, DT -- tell us what you REALLY think!

LOL -- magnificent diatribe! Hopefully I can rep you for it.

On the other hand -- I'm docking you 20% for "you're teacher" instead of "your teacher" and "fluid" instead of "fluent."
"once I'm naked, i can't get any cooler!" - Camel

Back in my day Pluto was a planet!

Last edited by tworiverswoman; 08-27-2009 at 03:17 AM.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:16 PM
Hero of the Horn

Birgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Birgitte Send a message via MSN to Birgitte

Yup, DT... This is the reason why it pisses me off so much that none of my school's websites work well in Firefox. IT MAKES NO SENSE! Until I remember that it's not surprising at all that the people who build it are just too stupid to build websites correctly.

General of the Northern Border, Hero of Krieros Valley, the Coffinnail
Queen of the TCA

"Sometimes I sit around... watching chat... and thinking...sh*t... I created this madness." -- Lord of the Board
Old 08-27-2009, 03:11 PM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Thief
Well, many of the newer browser features either started with FireFox or were perfected there - tabbed browsing, extensions & addons, remembering the last page you were on, etc.
Did they? I thought that was Opera.
Was Firefox even around in the late 1990s? Not according to Wikipedia, but then, what does that know.

I've been using Opera for about a decade, now, and it has basically always had those features.(Perhaps not before version 3.0, which is the one I started with, though.) I'm not too sure about the extensions and addons, but I basically don't use those, so there is a big selection effect there.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:17 PM
Hero of the Horn

JSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to JSUCamel Send a message via MSN to JSUCamel Send a message via Yahoo to JSUCamel

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat
Was Firefox even around in the late 1990s? Not according to Wikipedia, but then, what does that know.

I've been using Opera for about a decade, now, and it has basically always had those features.(Perhaps not before version 3.0, which is the one I started with, though.) I'm not too sure about the extensions and addons, but I basically don't use those, so there is a big selection effect there.
Firefox is based on Mozilla, which is based on the old Netscape browsers. Opera is based on Webkit, another offshoot of the old Netscape browsers. Firefox and Opera are essentially cousins on the browser family tree.

Opera was simply far ahead of its time. I used it for quite awhile, but then Firefox came along and I just liked it better. Opera may have some nifty features, but Firefox is much more customizable (extensions, Greasemonkey, add-ons, etc) than Opera used to be (I haven't used it lately).

Old 08-27-2009, 03:36 PM
Hero of the Horn

Birgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant future

Hey Camel.... I downloaded the chat counter a couple days ago and I don't think it's working. Either that or no one is ever in the chat. Emphasis on EVER.

Queen of the TCA

"Sometimes I sit around... watching chat... and thinking...sh*t... I created this madness." -- Lord of the Board
Old 08-27-2009, 04:03 PM
Ancient

Zanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant future

I find that fox is infinately more stable than ie. and at work they havnt figured out how to monitor the sites i go to on fox.
the only Z

fairy dust for sale 8.99 per vial

"YES!" - Cary Sedai

"Perhaps science,... [is] simply magic with delusions of lack of grandeur." -Peter David, Restoration

The Greatest Thread
Old 08-27-2009, 04:15 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birgitte
Hey Camel.... I downloaded the chat counter a couple days ago and I don't think it's working. Either that or no one is ever in the chat. Emphasis on EVER.
yeah, nobody's ever in there If it's working, it should say "CHAT (empty)" or something.

Old 08-27-2009, 05:02 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSUCamel
yeah, nobody's ever in there If it's working, it should say "CHAT (empty)" or something.
Maybe the person that made it should have built that into it.

Or maybe he should have built a functioning chat that doesn't store the entire history of chat for all of eternity.

Old 08-27-2009, 05:06 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Maybe the person that made it should have built that into it.

Or maybe he should have built a functioning chat that doesn't store the entire history of chat for all of eternity.
First of all, smarty pants, I don't have access to TL's server. The "CHAT" link at the top if on TL's server.

Second, chat only stores the last 100 lines of chat. Not all the entire chat history for all eternity.

Would you rather we have no chat? I can easily make that a reality. I built the chat out of the kindness of my heart and the challenge that it presented. So fuck off.

Old 08-27-2009, 05:08 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSUCamel
So fuck off.
You first.

Old 08-27-2009, 05:09 PM
Hero of the Horn

Yeah, it's just not working for me, then. That's weird, because the pink lettering one worked fine.

Queen of the TCA

Old 08-29-2009, 02:12 AM
Hero of the Horn

Dragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Dragon Thief

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat

Eh, the wording was too ambiguos I guess. I said started or perfected, meaing that (for this instance) Opera had tabbed browsing first, but FireFox improved (ie, perfected) the hell out of it a lot better from what I remember of Opera's tabs.

When i first used Opera, the tabs were buggy, target="_blank" and javascript's new window functions weren't as synced up as they should have been (one did a new window, one did a new tab, although I honestly cannot recall which was which), other things like that. Not to mention the first generation of tabbed browsing each ran on a separate process that was linked and could just kill the fun right out of browsing with one bad javascript. Things like that. (And, to be fair to other browsers, Chrome & Chrome 2 are doing some great performance tweaks behind the scenes - above and beyond eveyone else, I think, for the speed of its javascript engine).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRU
On the other hand -- I'm docking you 20% for "you're teacher" instead of "your teacher" and "fluid" instead of "fluent."
I was ranting. Rants don't have to be in well formed Englsh. It's nearly a common law at this point.