art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (2): aalcazarwilb, eimplestac,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - Non Wot Discussion Boards > Archived: Non WoT Related Discussion 09/08 - 09/09
User Name
Password

Old 08-27-2009, 03:55 PM
Ancient

Ozymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to all
Default World of Warcraft

I know there are about 80 previous threads devoted to or mentioning this fine piece of software, but I'm about to boot back up into the game and want to know which realms my WoWing compatriots are on. Always nice to have a friend in-game
Old 08-27-2009, 03:59 PM
Hero of the Horn

JSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to JSUCamel Send a message via MSN to JSUCamel Send a message via Yahoo to JSUCamel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias
I know there are about 80 previous threads devoted to or mentioning this fine piece of software, but I'm about to boot back up into the game and want to know which realms my WoWing compatriots are on. Always nice to have a friend in-game
I played the 10 day Trial thing, and I wasn't too impressed. It was okay, I guess, but I mean.. it was too much of the same thing over and over again. I'd rather buy a new movie on DVD every month, honestly.

"Nice try, Jack!" - Robert Jordan (to Camel)
"Camel must be the coolest TLer ever, by now." -GLotD

A grilled cheese eaten more than five minutes later is just no good. -Crispin

Old 08-27-2009, 04:06 PM
Hero of the Horn

Mort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Mort

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSUCamel
I played the 10 day Trial thing, and I wasn't too impressed. It was okay, I guess, but I mean.. it was too much of the same thing over and over again. I'd rather buy a new movie on DVD every month, honestly.
Same here. I know a trap when I see one.

Although playing wow is more bang for the buck than renting/buying dvds. Lots more hours of "enjoyment" per months. The additional cost is loss of social life (and no, life on WoW isn't real!!! TRAP!), BO and maybe a few other things.. probably anal leakage too.

"I discovered at an early age that if I talk long enough, I can make anything right or wrong. So either I am God, or truth is relative." - Jeff Winger, Community
----------

We rode on the winds of the rising storm, we ran to the sounds of thunder.
We danced among the lighting bolts, and tore the world asunder.

Old 08-27-2009, 04:08 PM
Hero of the Horn

JSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to JSUCamel Send a message via MSN to JSUCamel Send a message via Yahoo to JSUCamel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort
Lots more hours of "enjoyment" per months. The additional cost is loss of social life (and no, life on WoW isn't real!!! TRAP!), BO and maybe a few other things.. probably anal leakage too.
I could get more "enjoyment" out of watching a good DVD (or even a cheap TV-on-DVD season) each month than I would playing WoW for the same number of hours. It's just the same thing over and over. "Oh, stranger! I've lost [item] to [bad guy]! Can you please get it back for me? I'll reward you with [item]!"

*yawn*

Old 08-27-2009, 04:11 PM
Ancient

Ozymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to all

Quote:
I could get more "enjoyment" out of watching a good DVD (or even a cheap TV-on-DVD season) each month than I would playing WoW for the same number of hours. It's just the same thing over and over. "Oh, stranger! I've lost [item] to [bad guy]! Can you please get it back for me? I'll reward you with [item]!"

*yawn*
Firstly, thats not it at all. Warcraft is amazing for the lore and storyline it plunges you into.

However, more than that, you can watch that movie once in that month. Congratulations on spending your 15 bucks on 2 hours of entertainment. After all, after that its just repetitive and boring.

You can play WoW for as many hours as there are in a month for that 14.99, and even IF you assume there is very little enjoyment to be had from the repetitiveness of it, I can guarantee you there are 3 hours of original types of gameplay. Thereby, ruining your entire hypothesis.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:15 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias
Firstly, thats not it at all. Warcraft is amazing for the lore and storyline it plunges you into.

However, more than that, you can watch that movie once in that month. Congratulations on spending your 15 bucks on 2 hours of entertainment. After all, after that its just repetitive and boring.

You can play WoW for as many hours as there are in a month for that 14.99, and even IF you assume there is very little enjoyment to be had from the repetitiveness of it, I can guarantee you there are 3 hours of original types of gameplay. Thereby, ruining your entire hypothesis.
*shrug* I'm basing my "hypothesis" on personal experience. It's more than just a hypothesis. I've played many MMOs, and they're all the same. I may get one, two, maybe even three months of enjoyment out of it, and then it gets stale and boring.

Old 08-27-2009, 04:44 PM
Hero of the Horn

Birgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Birgitte Send a message via MSN to Birgitte

I agree. MMO = Not my thing. That's why I really only played Guild Wars once or twice. I like my RPG's to have a solid storyline that I have to follow. I don't want to skip around. I want to go through and figure it out step by step. Then be done and moving on to the next thing.

General of the Northern Border, Hero of Krieros Valley, the Coffinnail
Queen of the TCA

"Sometimes I sit around... watching chat... and thinking...sh*t... I created this madness." -- Lord of the Board
Old 08-27-2009, 05:07 PM
Ancient

Zanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant future

I quit wow a few months ago because i didnt have the money for lich and the fairy moved in. ... Now i dont want to get into it because i am anticipating the release of Star Trek Online.
the only Z

fairy dust for sale 8.99 per vial

"YES!" - Cary Sedai

"Perhaps science,... [is] simply magic with delusions of lack of grandeur." -Peter David, Restoration

The Greatest Thread
Old 08-28-2009, 12:43 AM
Hero of the Horn

Matoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of light

Not a fan of MMOs, personally. RPGs when done well are great, but I'm like Birgitte, I do not like how disjointed the story/lore is in most MMOs. I have not liked any MMO except for EVE Online, and even that bored me eventually.

[Gawyn] probably pops his collar. - Kivo
Mat's hat is a Darkfriend. - Daekyras
Old 08-28-2009, 08:45 AM
Mistress of Novices

Zaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Zaela Sedai Send a message via MSN to Zaela Sedai Send a message via Yahoo to Zaela Sedai Send a message via Skype™ to Zaela Sedai

WoW is icky to look at.... GW ftw

The One, the Original, the ONLY Z
Beware of impostors

In Brandon We Trust
This TL Siren is bonded to Pops, XX, DaiShan and DeiwosTheSkyGod. Allied with Seeker and Guarded by Hopper
General of the Western Border, Valkyrie of the Autumn Storm, Destined Fury
Old 08-28-2009, 12:59 PM
Hero of the Horn

Sarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanguini
Now i dont want to get into it because i am anticipating the release of Star Trek Online.
AT LAST!!!! Someone who understands!!
Got a fleet yet?

And for Ozy: I think Isa still plays WoW.

the Grey Viper, the Lord of Forsaken Roads, the Pink Sunset
Old 08-29-2009, 02:25 AM
Hero of the Horn

Dragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Dragon Thief

I play Horde on US Magtheridon. I have an 80 Frost Tank DK and an 80 Resto Shammy, and some alts at around 42,59,70,71.

The best/worst things about MMOs are the other players. Although they can be played solo, they just aren't meant to be - I look at my $15 monthly as a way to hang out with my RL friends a lot more than I otherwise could. We do hang out in person, but due to their kids, most of them working diffrent hours & days than me, etc, it's just hard to get together. But we talk on Vent and play WoW at least once or twice a week.

It's one of the best ways to hang out with your friends and have fun for its cost, IMO. And I'm like a lot of you - many games I only play for a few months (if that) before I get bored of them. I play wow to have a game to play with my friends more than because wow is the best game out here.

But the only other MMO I've played has really been Guild Wars - which, while I enjoyed it, it's just so shallow after the depth of WoW that even when I tried to go back and play it I couldn't. (GW is very much set up as 'levels' - and while it may have changed with the 2 dozen expansions and sequels and whatever, it wasn't really all that 'massive' when I played it after seeing what WoW is like.)
Old 08-29-2009, 06:12 AM
Hero of the Horn

Isabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Isabel

Yeah, i still play WoW on Europe stormrage. I thought i posted it already.

But i don't play that often again.
'Rand al'Thor, Nynaeve shrieked, that is the most outrageous thing I ever heard out of your mouth. The very idea of telling three women you love them! You are worse than a lecher. You apologize right now!'

Isabel sedai of the Green Ajah, Amyrlin of the Official Nynaeve Fanclub, first sister to Gennie Sedai of the Green Ajah, bonded to Camel, Wolf Gaidin, Jachthond and ghostrider.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:52 AM
Hero of the Horn

Brita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond repute

I am with Birgitte and Matoyak. And speaking of RPGs- how did you like Oblivion Ozy? Did you complete it? Did you change the difficulty settings and enjoy it a little more?

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. ― Anthony Bourdain
Old 08-29-2009, 11:36 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

I dont play computur games (mainly due to a lack of time, not lack of interest). Its interesting to follow this thread though.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 08-29-2009, 11:42 AM
Hero of the Horn

DeiwosTheSkyGod is just really niceDeiwosTheSkyGod is just really niceDeiwosTheSkyGod is just really niceDeiwosTheSkyGod is just really niceDeiwosTheSkyGod is just really nice

No WoW for me, but I still kick around on Warcraft III once in a great while.
Old 08-29-2009, 01:58 PM
Hero of the Horn

Dragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Dragon Thief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brita
I am with Birgitte and Matoyak. And speaking of RPGs- how did you like Oblivion Ozy? Did you complete it? Did you change the difficulty settings and enjoy it a little more?
This is mildly ironic - I tried to play Oblivion on my PS3, and couldn't get too into it for many of the same resaons listed against MMO's earlier - the beginning of it was too repetitive and without enough form/story at the get go to interest me. But Morrowind was the same was on PC for me.
Old 08-29-2009, 03:36 PM
Hero of the Horn

Brita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Thief
This is mildly ironic - I tried to play Oblivion on my PS3, and couldn't get too into it for many of the same resaons listed against MMO's earlier - the beginning of it was too repetitive and without enough form/story at the get go to interest me. But Morrowind was the same was on PC for me.
Hmmm- I love building a character, and the wide range of possibilities you are presented with. I don't really care about the storyline as much as I love perfecting my character's skills, acquiring or building amazing equipment, buying a house and decorating it, and so on. MMO's, the characters are too cardboard cut out. Oblivion feels like I am inventing an almost real character- not just another version of everyone else's.

When I start a game, I mostly just walk around, exploring, dipping into caves and checking into ruins. I so enjoy the open world that you can literally just walk around and explore without doing any assigned quests.

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. ― Anthony Bourdain
Old 08-31-2009, 09:26 AM
Hero of the Horn

DahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to DahLliA

Quote:

*yawn*
to be fair blizz is getting better at this. with the new expansion they'll even go back to the old content and revamp it to their current contents standard of questing(which is waaaaaay better IMO)

oh and if you like story, but still wanna play an mmo: This is much better than Star Trek ever will be

/hide

"'Profound... huh.' Temper was silent for a long moment, studying the cobbles of the alley mouth. And then he lifted his helmed head, faced Shadowthrone, and said, 'Fuck off.'"
Old 08-31-2009, 10:12 AM
Ancient

Zanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant future

I have my doubts about star trek mmos since the first one.
the only Z

fairy dust for sale 8.99 per vial

"YES!" - Cary Sedai

"Perhaps science,... [is] simply magic with delusions of lack of grandeur." -Peter David, Restoration

The Greatest Thread