art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - Non Wot Discussion Boards > Archived: Non WoT Related Discussion 09/08 - 09/09
User Name
Password

Old 09-03-2009, 08:04 PM
Hero of the Horn

DahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to DahLliA
Default moonshine. it's not healthy

being on the rebound of a quite bad experience with the aforementioned brew I started wondering who the hell came up with the idea of creating this horrible stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moonshine only explains how to make it and how different countries treat moonshine, but doesn't say anything about the origins.

so my question is if anyone knows where it started

also found this comment: "In the documentary film Metal: A Headbangers Journey by Sam Dunn. Vocalist and bassist for Motörhead, Lemmy talked about Norwegian moonshine as "something really awful and the crew wouldn't even drink it." It is also now cited as the cause of his warty appearance."

fills me with a weird sense of national pride

"'Profound... huh.' Temper was silent for a long moment, studying the cobbles of the alley mouth. And then he lifted his helmed head, faced Shadowthrone, and said, 'Fuck off.'"
Old 09-03-2009, 09:18 PM
Inbred, Ugly, and Drunk on Corn Liquor

Sei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DahLliA
being on the rebound of a quite bad experience with the aforementioned brew I started wondering who the hell came up with the idea of creating this horrible stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moonshine only explains how to make it and how different countries treat moonshine, but doesn't say anything about the origins.

so my question is if anyone knows where it started

also found this comment: "In the documentary film Metal: A Headbangers Journey by Sam Dunn. Vocalist and bassist for Motörhead, Lemmy talked about Norwegian moonshine as "something really awful and the crew wouldn't even drink it." It is also now cited as the cause of his warty appearance."

fills me with a weird sense of national pride
I've heard stories about the origin but I don't know if they're true. I do know that it's good for you though. My buddy used to say that it tastes like shit and everything that's good for you tastes like shit.

www.buckeyestation.com look at it, love it, share it with your friends!
Old 09-03-2009, 09:22 PM
Elder

Orc is a glorious beacon of lightOrc is a glorious beacon of lightOrc is a glorious beacon of lightOrc is a glorious beacon of lightOrc is a glorious beacon of lightOrc is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sei'taer
I've heard stories about the origin but I don't know if they're true. I do know that it's good for you though. My buddy used to say that it tastes like shit and everything that's good for you tastes like shit.
That doesn't logically follow. From your assumptions, there could be things that taste like shit that aren't good for you, and moonshine could be one of them
Old 09-03-2009, 09:27 PM

Sei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond repute

But, when you go to the doctor and he puts you on a special diet, it usually consists of things that taste like shit, therefore if moonshine tastes like shit, it must be good for you.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:58 PM
Elder

Orc is a glorious beacon of lightOrc is a glorious beacon of lightOrc is a glorious beacon of lightOrc is a glorious beacon of lightOrc is a glorious beacon of lightOrc is a glorious beacon of light

That's the logical equivalent of saying dogs have four legs, my cat has four legs, therefore my cat is a dog.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:02 PM
Hero of the Horn

ShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orc
That's the logical equivalent of saying dogs have four legs, my cat has four legs, therefore my cat is a dog.
you mean that in jest, but I've seen similar logic applied many times on the WoT board...
Old 09-03-2009, 10:23 PM
Ancient

StrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant future

Putcheen is probably the oldest incarnation of modern white lightning.

The famous shiner, Popcorn Sutton, lived and died not far from where I live now.

"My country, right or wrong," is a thing that no patriot would think of saying except in a desperate case. It is like saying, "My mother, drunk or sober."- G.K. Chesterton

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."- Calvin
Old 09-04-2009, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orc
yup, it is.

Old 09-04-2009, 06:49 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orc
Which, when you've consumed enough moonshine, is just about the maximum of logic you can handle. So it makes perfect sense.

And, for those who are actually interested, Wikipedia has some information on the subject.

Last edited by GonzoTheGreat; 09-04-2009 at 06:54 AM.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:53 AM
Hero of the Horn

DahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant future

according to wiki you're half-way right ST

Quote:
Distilled alcoholic beverages first appeared in Europe in the 12th century among alchemists who were more interested in brewing medical elixirs than in making gold from lead. They first appeared under the name aqua ardens (burning water) in the Compendium Salerni from the medical school at Salerno. The production method was written in code, suggesting that it was being kept secret. Taddeo Alderotti in his Consilia medicinalis referred to serpente, which are believed to have been the coiled tube of a still.

In 1437, burned water (brandy) was mentioned in the records of the county of Katzenelnbogen in Germany.[4] It was served in a tall, narrow glass called a “goderulffe.”

Paracelsus gave alcohol its modern name, taking it from the Arabic word which means "finely divided", in reference to what is done to wine. His test was to burn a spoonful without leaving any residue. Other ways of testing were to burn a cloth soaked in it without actually harming the cloth. In both cases, to achieve this effect the alcohol had to have been at least 95 percent, close to the maximum concentration attainable through distillation (see purification of ethanol).
they did think it was medicine.

wonder who was the first idiot to start drinking it for fun was though

"'Profound... huh.' Temper was silent for a long moment, studying the cobbles of the alley mouth. And then he lifted his helmed head, faced Shadowthrone, and said, 'Fuck off.'"
Old 09-04-2009, 07:59 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
according to wiki you're half-way right ST

they did think it was medicine.

wonder who was the first idiot to start drinking it for fun was though
Shot in the dark...he was Irish.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 09-04-2009, 08:24 AM

Worst hangover ever. That's what moonshine will do for you. And I've had a lot of hangovers. Moonshine was by far the worst.

It some places down here, when you go to a party there are pint jars on a table just inside the door and everyone picks up their pint as they go in. It's also illegal to have, but as long as you aren't transporting it or in possession of large amounts they don't say much (like if you're sitting on the porch having a sip).

Um...has anyone here had absinthe? I've always wanted to try it and supposedly they are going to start selling it in the states. Just curious what it tastes like.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:45 AM
Hero of the Horn

Brita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I do know that it's good for you though. My buddy used to say that it tastes like shit and everything that's good for you tastes like shit.
Shit tastes like shit, and I can tell you that eating shit is not good for you.

“I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you.” ― Anthony Bourdain
Old 09-04-2009, 08:48 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brita
Shit tastes like shit, and I can tell you that eating shit is not good for you.
Um yeah...you're lucky I'm your Warder because you left the door wide open on that one.

~glares at everyone else~

No Obvious Jokes!!!

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 09-04-2009, 08:50 AM
Ancient

Zanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant future

I was wondering how you became a brown noser
the only Z

fairy dust for sale 8.99 per vial

"YES!" - Cary Sedai

"Perhaps science,... [is] simply magic with delusions of lack of grandeur." -Peter David, Restoration

The Greatest Thread
Old 09-04-2009, 08:56 AM
Hero of the Horn

Brita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond repute

LOL!

Who, me or Dav?

Old 09-04-2009, 08:57 AM
Ancient

Zanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant future

does it really matter at this point?
the only Z

fairy dust for sale 8.99 per vial

"YES!" - Cary Sedai

"Perhaps science,... [is] simply magic with delusions of lack of grandeur." -Peter David, Restoration

The Greatest Thread
Old 09-04-2009, 09:01 AM
Hero of the Horn

Ah well, yes, good point.

Ahem...

As a nurse, I have seen my fair share of shit, and I have also seen the microbiology reports concerning the bacteria in said shit. Furthermore, I have seen the infections caused by such bacteria from said shit, and trust me, eating shit is not good for you.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:15 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Worst hangover ever. That's what moonshine will do for you. And I've had a lot of hangovers. Moonshine was by far the worst.
so true. I'll go so far as to say you haven't had a real hangover until you've gotten shit-faced on coffee and shine

Quote:
Um...has anyone here had absinthe? I've always wanted to try it and supposedly they are going to start selling it in the states. Just curious what it tastes like.
one word. don't

I've only tried the weak stuff that is legal here(40% and none of the more... colorful ingredients) and even that made us half-crazy and horribly hungover. heard of people who try the real deal(80% and up and close to the original recipe) and all of them regretted it

Old 09-04-2009, 10:44 AM
Hero of the Horn

Ivhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Ivhon Send a message via Yahoo to Ivhon

Quote:
so true. I'll go so far as to say you haven't had a real hangover until you've gotten shit-faced on coffee and shine

one word. don't

I've only tried the weak stuff that is legal here(40% and none of the more... colorful ingredients) and even that made us half-crazy and horribly hungover. heard of people who try the real deal(80% and up and close to the original recipe) and all of them regretted it
Why is there something sooo appealing to this warning?

Proud owner of the first post on TL's VBulletin forum (sorry...I had ta )

Greeter Emeritus