art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Book 12: The Gathering Storm
User Name
Password

Old 10-27-2009, 12:49 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute
Default One Quick Thought (MAJOR TGS SPOILERS)

!!!PLEASE DO NOT READ UNLESS YOU HAVE FINISHED THE GATHERING STORM!!!

So the Dragon took "advantage" of his link to Moridin and saved himself by channeling the True Power.

What does this mean for him long-term. We could easily see a vast difference in his personality afterward and the "dark aura" that surrounded him from that point forward.

Is that gone with his integration on the slopes of Dragonmount? Or will it continue to affect him from here on out. The Dark One got his claws on Rand and all his future actions may be tainted by that mark. Think of it along the lines of a Dark Jedi "Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny!"

There is strong reason to hope now that the Dragon has learned laughter and tears again but there is also reason to be wary.

Personally, I think it was clearly part of the DO's plan to have Rand access the True Power through that link. Semi was freed for exactly that reason. The question is why? There is no way it was an accident. The DO and Moridin definitely WANTED it to happen.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 10-27-2009, 12:54 PM
Hero of the Horn

Isabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Isabel

Yeah I am very curious about what is going to happen with this. I have to think about it.
It will have repurcursions. Especially since Rand used the Choedan Kal at first to resist the temptation. Now the Choedan Kal is gone.
'Rand al'Thor, Nynaeve shrieked, that is the most outrageous thing I ever heard out of your mouth. The very idea of telling three women you love them! You are worse than a lecher. You apologize right now!'

Isabel sedai of the Green Ajah, Amyrlin of the Official Nynaeve Fanclub, first sister to Gennie Sedai of the Green Ajah, bonded to Camel, Wolf Gaidin, Jachthond and ghostrider.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:56 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabel
Yeah I am very curious about what is going to happen with this. I have to think about it.
It will have repurcursions. Especially since Rand used the Choedan Kal at first to resist the temptation. Now the Choedan Kal is gone.
He'll clearly be desperate again and where will he reach to "save" himself now that the Choedan Kal (that was a surprise despite the hints throughout the book, eh?) is gone.

I wonder if his first step is to go apologize to Tam...

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 10-27-2009, 01:03 PM
Hero of the Horn

Isabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Isabel

Another thing I noticed:

Something is needed to Grasp the DO for completing the Bore. Anyone thinks of Fain?
'Rand al'Thor, Nynaeve shrieked, that is the most outrageous thing I ever heard out of your mouth. The very idea of telling three women you love them! You are worse than a lecher. You apologize right now!'

Isabel sedai of the Green Ajah, Amyrlin of the Official Nynaeve Fanclub, first sister to Gennie Sedai of the Green Ajah, bonded to Camel, Wolf Gaidin, Jachthond and ghostrider.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:12 PM
Hero of the Horn

Yes, we got some very good hints on what Rand needs to do to Seal the Bore.

However, I wonder if Caddy and Min are correct on that bit of Prophecy they "deciphered".

Perhaps the "three" are actually Rand, Mat, and Perrin and the Blade of Light is Rand's new sword?

The Callandor reference could work and it would make sense that Callandor has another purpose but I'm not quite sure I buy it.

Old 10-27-2009, 01:18 PM
Hero of the Horn

Sarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93
What does this mean for him long-term. We could easily see a vast difference in his personality afterward and the "dark aura" that surrounded him from that point forward.

Is that gone with his integration on the slopes of Dragonmount? Or will it continue to affect him from here on out. The Dark One got his claws on Rand and all his future actions may be tainted by that mark. Think of it along the lines of a Dark Jedi "Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny!"
Well, there's also the quote about "the three wil be one" (I believe Min read it in the book about the prophecies). That strongly suggests Moridin joining in Rand's mind someone.

Come to think of it... That was said in concuntion with something about Callandor. I may have to reread the part of tDR where he takes a hold of Callandor to look for clues about this...

the Grey Viper, the Lord of Forsaken Roads, the Pink Sunset
Old 10-27-2009, 07:14 PM
Hero of the Horn

Belazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Belazamon

Quote:
Personally, I think it was clearly part of the DO's plan to have Rand access the True Power through that link. Semi was freed for exactly that reason. The question is why? There is no way it was an accident. The DO and Moridin definitely WANTED it to happen.
I would agree that the Dark One wanted it to happen - from everything we know about the True Power, it would have been impossible for Rand to tap it otherwise. It might be getting ahead of ourselves to assume that Moridin also wanted it to happen...

No one cares, no one sympathizes
You just stand around and play synthesizers
Old 10-27-2009, 07:19 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belazamon
I would agree that the Dark One wanted it to happen - from everything we know about the True Power, it would have been impossible for Rand to tap it otherwise. It might be getting ahead of ourselves to assume that Moridin also wanted it to happen...
Well, I think it might just be another move in the Fisher King game is all. Moridin seems like he has a pretty good plan and he's working directly in concert with the DO...unlike any of the other Forsaken.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:22 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
I think it was clearly part of the DO's plan to have Rand access the True Power through that link. Semi was freed for exactly that reason. The question is why? There is no way it was an accident. The DO and Moridin definitely WANTED it to happen.
Yeah, it was definitely part of the plan. As to the why - that's obvious, or at least, it's obvious in part. There could be other reasons. But Moridin was pissed at Semirhage about the hand thing, so he wanted revenge - dunno about you, but I see a lot of what happens after as being Moridin residue. Also, Moridin wanted to cause Rand 'pain of heart', and forcing Rand to kill a woman was a good way to do that, neh?
Old 10-27-2009, 07:25 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez
Yeah, it was definitely part of the plan. As to the why - that's obvious, or at least, it's obvious in part. There could be other reasons. But Moridin was pissed at Semirhage about the hand thing, so he wanted revenge - dunno about you, but I see a lot of what happens after as being Moridin residue. Also, Moridin wanted to cause Rand 'pain of heart', and forcing Rand to kill a woman was a good way to do that, neh?
That is my thought as well. Add in the fact that the DO now has a channel and even a small hold on the Dragon through his usage of the TP and that was a huge defeat for Rand that the Light might think was a victory as Semi died. There were plenty of more signs that Rand has taken on many of Moridin's mannerisms down to their preferred colors (Red and Black) for clothing throughout the books. I would love to see how much of the darkness is gone now that Rand has learned to laugh and cry again (though hardly in the way Cadsuane was thinking).

Old 10-27-2009, 07:34 PM
Hero of the Horn

Sorry for an additional post here but I just had another thought: What's up with Rand's ta'veren effect only causing more negativity now? It happened after the TP usage so it might just be connected. Rand is no longer causing good and bad now...its almost as if he's corrupting the Pattern and increasing negative chaos by his very presence.

Also, Rand noted that his ta'avereness seemed to be causing more and more powerful distortions to the Pattern. Personally, I think he has it backwards. His ta'veren effect is the same but the Pattern is simply weaker which magnifies the effect.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:39 PM
Hero of the Horn

Belazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant future

Quote:
Well, I think it might just be another move in the Fisher King game is all. Moridin seems like he has a pretty good plan and he's working directly in concert with the DO...unlike any of the other Forsaken.
Well, it seems he's not controlling everything, based on the Rand/Moridin TAR meeting. Honestly I could see it going either way, it was just a thought.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:40 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Sorry for an additional post here but I just had another thought: What's up with Rand's ta'veren effect only causing more negativity now? It happened after the TP usage so it might just be connected. Rand is no longer causing good and bad now...its almost as if he's corrupting the Pattern and increasing negative chaos by his very presence.

Also, Rand noted that his ta'avereness seemed to be causing more and more powerful distortions to the Pattern. Personally, I think he has it backwards. His ta'veren effect is the same but the Pattern is simply weaker which magnifies the effect.
I'd tend to think it's the Dark One's Touch on him, i.e. the dark shadow that everyone can almost see on him. The food spoilage especially makes it seem that Rand is now a more direct carrier for Shadowblight, for lack of a better term.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:46 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belazamon
I'd tend to think it's the Dark One's Touch on him, i.e. the dark shadow that everyone can almost see on him. The food spoilage especially makes it seem that Rand is now a more direct carrier for Shadowblight, for lack of a better term.
Yeah, that would make sense. Rand is not a good person to be around during TGS. Who knows if that will change now though.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:56 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

Seems quite obvious it's changed.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:57 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Well, the connection will still be there regardless of Rand's renewal of spirit. He channeled the True Power. There has to be lasting consequences to that beyond what we've already seen. That's what I mean.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:00 PM
Ancient

Ozymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to all

It was strongly implied that now that he thinks he has something to live and fight for, he'll be much more pleasant. Probably not farm-boy pleasant, or even Lord of Chaos pleasant... but maybe WH pleasant.

And I thought the three would be Elayne and Avi... just a thought. Had to be two women, right?
Old 10-27-2009, 08:02 PM
Hero of the Horn

@Dav - I'm sure it will tie into the Rand-Moridin story line in some way. I was just talking about Rand not being a good person to be around. The reintegration largely fixed his mental problems.

@Ozy - I had the same thought, but I'm missing something, I think...
Old 10-27-2009, 08:04 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Really? Why?

Old 10-27-2009, 08:05 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
@Dav - I'm sure it will tie into the Rand-Moridin story line in some way. I was just talking about Rand not being a good person to be around. The reintegration largely fixed his mental problems.

@Ozy - I had the same thought, but I'm missing something, I think...
I'm sure he'll be nice again but the Dark Aura (if its the result of the TP usage) should still be there. It depends if the Aura is the result of Rand's hardening/loss of humanity or if its due to the more sinister TP/DO connection.

Tags
rand/moridin, true power