art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Book 12: The Gathering Storm
User Name
Password

Old 10-27-2009, 12:54 PM
Lord of the Board

Tamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tamyrlin
Default TGS - The Small Clue Concerning Asmodean's Killer

Brandon told me that he put a small clue as to Asmodean's killer in this book. Let's find it folks.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:54 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamyrlin
Brandon told me that he put a small clue as to Asmodean's killer in this book. Let's find it folks.
Hmmm...interesting. It must have been really small. Perhaps I'll catch it on my reread.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 10-27-2009, 12:55 PM
Hero of the Horn

Isabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Isabel

-What about how Meidani removed Verin's body? Can give a small clue as how to the body of Asmo disappeared.

-Could he mean that by killing Graendal, it decreases the chance Graendal killed Asmo?
'Rand al'Thor, Nynaeve shrieked, that is the most outrageous thing I ever heard out of your mouth. The very idea of telling three women you love them! You are worse than a lecher. You apologize right now!'

Isabel sedai of the Green Ajah, Amyrlin of the Official Nynaeve Fanclub, first sister to Gennie Sedai of the Green Ajah, bonded to Camel, Wolf Gaidin, Jachthond and ghostrider.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:57 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabel
-What about how Meidani removed Verin's body? Can give a small clue as how to the body of Asmo disappeared.

-Could he mean that by killing Graendal, it decreases the chance Graendal killed Asmo?
That could be it. Was anyone stunned by Graendal's abrupt passing. So much build up throughout the books and she was just gone in a split second.

EDIT: Should we mark the title as SPOILERS, Tam?

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 10-27-2009, 12:58 PM
Lord of the Board

Tamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond repute
Default First Thought - Major TGS Spoiler

Because I'd like it to be true. Brandon's use of the word "small" could be ironic...as in, Rand using balefire on Graendal's domain...heh, small.

As in - "it ain't her".

Of course, this assumes Graendal's death...which remains suspect for the time being.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:59 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Because I'd like it to be true. Brandon's use of the word "small" could be ironic...as in, Rand using balefire on Graendal's domain...heh, small.

As in - "it ain't her".

Of course, this assumes Graendal's death...which remains suspect for the time being.
Seemed pretty cut and dry to me. Rand was certain of it.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:59 PM
Hero of the Horn

Isabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93
That could be it. Was anyone stunned by Graendal's abrupt passing. So much build up throughout the books and she was just gone in a split second.
I thought that was kind of cool and logical (when you think about it). You don't give your enemies a chance.
So I thought it was realistic
'Rand al'Thor, Nynaeve shrieked, that is the most outrageous thing I ever heard out of your mouth. The very idea of telling three women you love them! You are worse than a lecher. You apologize right now!'

Isabel sedai of the Green Ajah, Amyrlin of the Official Nynaeve Fanclub, first sister to Gennie Sedai of the Green Ajah, bonded to Camel, Wolf Gaidin, Jachthond and ghostrider.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:01 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabel
I thought that was kind of cool and logical (when you think about it). You don't give your enemies a chance.
So I thought it was realistic
Yeah, me too. Rand's plan was vicious to say the least...likely a result of the darkness around him at that point.

Old 10-27-2009, 01:01 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:

As in - "it ain't her".

Well, I would say 99% Graendal is dead. There are very small ifs and what ifs.
And ofcourse someone else could have known Asmo is dead and killed by Graendal. Like Moridin or the DO. So I don't exclude Graendal yet, but I am happy that it has become less likely.

Old 10-27-2009, 01:12 PM
Lord of the Board

Default Well

There have to be a few ways she could still be alive.

First, couldn't she have created a compulsion that fell away on its own? She's not an idiot. Why would Rand send this decoy of sorts in? She knew that Rand found her, therefore she could have surmised that he knew about the compulsion...so what be so obvious in its use if she didn't have some type of plan for the decoy and for her escape? In other words, she thinks "he will come after me as long as he thinks I'm alive"...convoluted for sure, that she could reason it all out and set up this person's compulsion to fall away, while escaping...

Wait!!!

Is there any way she could have made herself into Rand's decoy? Holy s*** that would be a great twist. I need to go back and read that part.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:13 PM
Hero of the Horn

Maybe its possible. That would be too funny if she was using an inverted Mirror of Mists there. Ballsy move to say the least though.

Old 10-27-2009, 01:18 PM
Lord of the Board

Default It's a fun theory - so I'll write it up! :)

It would be amazing. But not a crazy gamble. He found me. He knows I'm using compulsion. He sent this person in expecting me to use him. He won't stop looking for me now. Unless...
Old 10-27-2009, 01:24 PM
Hero of the Horn

Sarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to behold

I'd join that faction.

the Grey Viper, the Lord of Forsaken Roads, the Pink Sunset
Old 10-27-2009, 01:32 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
It would be amazing. But not a crazy gamble. He found me. He knows I'm using compulsion. He sent this person in expecting me to use him. He won't stop looking for me now. Unless...
I just reread it again. I don't think its possible for it to be Graendal in disguise. How would she make the compulsion weaves disappear in her own her own head? She can't channel her own brain afterall.

However, we don't know WHO specifically Compelled Graendal. Not for sure anyway. Its possible that Graendal used a proxy to channel the weaves and escaped while Rand was building up his Balefire beam (something that wasn't instantaneous for whatever reason). Or she had the Compulsion net dissipate somehow.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:06 PM
Lord of the Board

Default Fake Compulsion

The more I think about it, the more sense it makes. Rand is quite clear. He believes Graendal will know it is a ruse by him. Then, she would have to ask, if he knew she was there, why didn't he attack? Because he thinks that she will run if he attacks. Therefore, he sent his envoy, to check if I was "in the building". Why would he do that? Because he planned a large enough attack that would prevent me from escaping. What is he waiting for? He is waiting for his servant to return whom he will check for signs that I was there. So, if I want him to pull off his attack, I have to add compulsion to this servants mind...or better yet, I can pretend to be his servant, Mask of Mirrors, inverted threads, fake compulsion, and find out what his real plans are, he'd never expect me not to run
Old 10-27-2009, 02:09 PM
Hero of the Horn

How would one fake that weave though? It would still involve channeling on herself...in a way that should be impossible. I'm more inclined to think she slipped away somehow.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:14 PM
Hero of the Horn

Sarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to behold

Or she could use a loose Compulsion weave on the servant, one that will unravel in a short while. Next, she runs like hell.
She hopes the ruse will work, but if not, it doens't matter.

the Grey Viper, the Lord of Forsaken Roads, the Pink Sunset
Old 10-27-2009, 02:18 PM
Lord of the Board

Default Master of Compulsion

I don't think it's a hard sell to imagine that Graendal has learned a way to add fake weaves that mimic the sensation of real weaves of compulsion when someone delves. Now, I don't think Graendal expected what happened, however Rand gives her time to respond by instructing Nynaeve what to check for after he balefired.

Even the text, when you imagine it being Graendal, is quite hilarious - "I lady of the castle down there was quite friendly--she is an ally, my Lord. You have nothing to fear from her! Very refined, I must say."

I agree - it's far fetched, but certainly fun.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:20 PM
Lord of the Board

Default However

She wouldn't expect Balefire...so what is the ruse? Plus, if it was real, from what we saw Nynaeve do, removing it isn't something simple, unless it was fake in the first place.

I don't know.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:01 PM
Hero of the Horn

Sodas has a spectacular aura aboutSodas has a spectacular aura aboutSodas has a spectacular aura about

I'm going to have to say, after reading the scene twice to make sure, that I'm positive it was Graendal. So she is toast, ihmo.

What is interesting is that delay of balefire. We always assumed it was instant every time. Not so much here. So how would someone who accidentally stubbled upon Asmo have time to cast it?

I think it was Jordan who said he planned to put the asmo reveal in the character's pov, so I do think this finally eliminates Graendal as a suspect. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Mazrim Taim drew the eye. He was tall, with a strongly hooked nose and an air of physical strength about him. An air of darkness, too. He sat there with his ankles crossed and one arm hanging over the heavy arm of the throne, yet he seemed ready to explode into violence. Interestingly, though his black coat was embroidered with blue-and-gold dragons that twined around the sleeves from elbows to cuffs, he did not wear the collar pins.

Tags
asmodean, taim, unrepentant stubbornness