art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Book 12: The Gathering Storm
User Name
Password

Old 10-28-2009, 03:00 PM
Youngling

The Black Wind is an unknown quantity at this point
Default One thing that bugged me

Why skip Galad and Perrin!?

We know they meet since Rand had a vision of them talking to one another. So why not include it in the story arc for Perrin instead of filling it with that useless fluff about him checking axles and Faile burning things? I found Perrin's story arc very lacking. I know It wasn't supposed to be a big part of this book but the Perrin/Galad scene seemed like a golden opportunity for some drama.

Hopefully we see a bit of it in ToM but it wouldn't make chronological sense unless Brandon went backward in time (something I thought they were trying to get away from).

Other than that, I thought the book was great. Very intense at time. Rand's encounter's with semi and tam both had me panting and whispering no to myself. I don't think there had been another book that got me so riled up. I liked it a lot.
Old 10-28-2009, 03:14 PM
Hero of the Horn

Belazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Belazamon

I will agree, Perrin's part in this book was useless. Of course, I've been mostly uninterested in Perrin pretty much since he left to go find the Prophet, so there you are.

No one cares, no one sympathizes
You just stand around and play synthesizers
Old 10-28-2009, 07:33 PM
Elder

jana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond repute

That made no sense to me either.

I do think we will go back in time and see it, though. And if that's the case it makes even less sense that we didn't just get it in this book.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:35 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Perrin's arc time was useless and Mat's was mostly useless.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 10-28-2009, 07:40 PM
Youngling

I was just wondering why they referenced the encounter with Galad from Rand's swirling colors but didn't show it. There was tons of anticipation for it. And lots of good potential drama. It would seem foolish not to include it. This leads me to believe that it will be in ToM despite the apparent time line issues.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:41 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Wind
I was just wondering why they referenced the encounter with Galad from Rand's swirling colors but didn't show it. There was tons of anticipation for it. And lots of good potential drama. It would seem foolish not to include it. This leads me to believe that it will be in ToM despite the apparent time line issues.
I doubt anyone would have been upset if we had gotten that instead of the stupid wagon scene.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 10-28-2009, 07:58 PM
Youngling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93
I doubt anyone would have been upset if we had gotten that instead of the stupid wagon scene.
My point exactly. This leads me to believe that the meeting is part of some greater Perrin plot arc which, for congruency sake, was pushed into ToM.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:18 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

I figure he didn't show it because it's going to be a long, involved plotline, so they didn't have space in the book for it.

It doesn't bother me - characters have had bit parts in books before.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:36 PM
Hero of the Horn

ShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez
I figure he didn't show it because it's going to be a long, involved plotline, so they didn't have space in the book for it.

It doesn't bother me - characters have had bit parts in books before.
not just bit parts in many cases. Unless I'm mistaken, like Perrin in tFoH and Mat in tPoD, Elayne wasn't even in this book. Aviendha's part was also fairly small, mostly consisting of her doing useless chores. What was there did have their points, and as BS said, this could have been the monster 3-books-in-1, but they had to move it around a little. The book ended in a good spot and if they had to move things around a little for the best fit, then so be it. I'm sure we'll see Perrin meet up with Galad in the next book...and along with it the long anticipated meet between Galad and Berelain.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:08 PM
Elder

jana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond repute

What would have made the most sense, IMO, is simply having Rand not get that vision. And not having Tam mention Morgase.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:09 PM
Mistress of Novices

Zaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Zaela Sedai Send a message via MSN to Zaela Sedai Send a message via Yahoo to Zaela Sedai Send a message via Skype™ to Zaela Sedai

as I said in another post, I'm guessing it will be the Prolougue of the next book

The One, the Original, the ONLY Z
Beware of impostors

In Brandon We Trust
This TL Siren is bonded to Pops, XX, DaiShan and DeiwosTheSkyGod. Allied with Seeker and Guarded by Hopper
General of the Western Border, Valkyrie of the Autumn Storm, Destined Fury
Old 10-29-2009, 08:21 PM
Youngling

It seems somewhat bigger than a prologue scene. I think they'll show it outright as a portion of the greater Perrin story arc.

I fight because last time, I failed. I fight because I want to fix what I did wrong. I want to do it right this time.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:23 PM
Mistress of Novices

Zaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Zaela Sedai Send a message via MSN to Zaela Sedai Send a message via Yahoo to Zaela Sedai Send a message via Skype™ to Zaela Sedai

RJ had always said the Prologue is an extension of the previous book. I think the meet will be there, I'm sure there will be more chapters with the whole crew coming to Rand throughout the next book.

The One, the Original, the ONLY Z
Beware of impostors

In Brandon We Trust
This TL Siren is bonded to Pops, XX, DaiShan and DeiwosTheSkyGod. Allied with Seeker and Guarded by Hopper
General of the Western Border, Valkyrie of the Autumn Storm, Destined Fury
Old 10-29-2009, 08:29 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaela Sedai
RJ had always said the Prologue is an extension of the previous book. I think the meet will be there, I'm sure there will be more chapters with the whole crew coming to Rand throughout the next book.
The best part is we have about 11.5 months till the next book if all goes well.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:42 PM
Youngling

Now that they've given me a taste I want it now!

I fight because last time, I failed. I fight because I want to fix what I did wrong. I want to do it right this time.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:07 PM
Elder

FelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant future

Quote:
Why skip Galad and Perrin!?
Your not the only one to wonder about the lack of Galad's pov.

Quote:
I found Perrin's story arc very lacking. I know It wasn't supposed to be a big part of this book but the Perrin/Galad scene seemed like a golden opportunity for some drama.
Almost all the major character pov in tGS seemed to me, to be focused upon decisions "within" to become a leader. To step up, to move on, to become a true leader. Yes, Perrin, Egwene, Aviendha, Tuon, Rand and even Faile's pov scenes all did this.

Perrin was running from the wolves in TAR, scared to become a wolf...and Perrin was running from becoming leader of Two Rivers. Perrin finally decided mentally to take the next step, and become a "Lord". Berelain, Faile, Balwer, Alliandre and even Tam have help Perrin decide it necessary for his people to become a leader. Of course, Perrin as only half finished this...Perrin still needs to become a true leader of the wolves.

I believe RJ and Brandon wanted emphasize the final few steps of the young'sters becoming "true leaders" of their various groups in tGS.

I think we'll see Lan, Galad, Loial, and even Taim doing the same in the next book (ToM), becoming leaders for good or ill in Taim's case.

For more see, @TinkerPride at Twitter.com

Last edited by FelixPax; 10-29-2009 at 11:10 PM.
Old 10-30-2009, 03:57 AM
Hero of the Horn

Mort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Mort

Even Mat came to the conclusion that he had to stop running and face his problems, which should be a big shock to everyone

"I discovered at an early age that if I talk long enough, I can make anything right or wrong. So either I am God, or truth is relative." - Jeff Winger, Community
----------

We rode on the winds of the rising storm, we ran to the sounds of thunder.
We danced among the lighting bolts, and tore the world asunder.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:44 AM
Hero of the Horn

The reason we don't have many Galad POVs is because he is clearly a Darkfriend. It'll come out soon enough and blow everyone's mind.

Old 10-30-2009, 11:54 AM
Youngling

creepybob has a spectacular aura aboutcreepybob has a spectacular aura aboutcreepybob has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93
The reason we don't have many Galad POVs is because he is clearly a Darkfriend. It'll come out soon enough and blow everyone's mind.
...hell, why not believe that since Verin turned out to be a DF and Elaida was captured instead of stilled and made an example of.

I'm only upset that the meeting was MENTIONED before it played out. It's the only time in the whole series that the Rainbow Connection (Some day we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me) revealed anything that had not been fully explored.

Pirate > Ninja
Old 10-30-2009, 02:00 PM
Elder

Toss the dice is a glorious beacon of lightToss the dice is a glorious beacon of lightToss the dice is a glorious beacon of lightToss the dice is a glorious beacon of lightToss the dice is a glorious beacon of lightToss the dice is a glorious beacon of lightToss the dice is a glorious beacon of light

The first thing I did when I got TGS was read all of Mat's sections. I found them to be pointless, like someone else mentioned. To be honest, they were downright depressing and felt weird to boot. Mat didn't accomplish a damn thing, he is now a pussy, and he is a VERY different character than we saw in KoD, let alone his last stuff in KoD. I realize he is worried for Tuon, but I don't like his new persona, the things he accomplished (nothing), or the way Mat's sections were written, down to usage of terms and words and dialogue between characters.

I have read a few other chapters of non-Mat stuff in TGS and am looking forward to having the time to read the rest. But the Mat stuff was a complete letdown for me, and there's obviously no one that feels crappier about me saying that than me. I was really looking forward to some good things. (and personally I didn't expect any ToG stuff in this 1st book)

I hate saying stuff like this and I'm sure this post will be met with criticism and offense, but this is my honest opinion of Mat's sections of TGS. Hopefully the rest of the book that I haven't read yet makes up for it and then things get awesome in the next book.

Tags
galad, perrin