art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Book 12: The Gathering Storm
User Name
Password

Old 11-04-2009, 12:50 PM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute
Default tGS

First and foremost: Verin. Naturally, of course.
Wonder what she's gonna do in the next book, to keep up her part as inscrutable mystery lady.

Second, would Egwene have any plans to deal with the unaligned Black Ajah members?
About one third of the AS was in the Tower, one third was with the rebels, but that leaves a couple of hundred others who are running around free. If the proportions are the same, that means a few score of BA on the lose, apart from those that ran away from the WT.

Third, a bit more specifically: would Egwene take the trouble of warning Rand that some of his loyal servants may be loyal, but not to him?

Fourth, it just so happens that I had been a bit wrong about Verin and the Horn. On the other hand, she did seek out Mat as I had predicted. On the gripping hand, perhaps my "she hid the Horn, the letter tells where" idea is actually correct.

Fifth, I happened to be correct with my doubts about the idea that Cadsuane was going to teach laughter and tears. Of course, I was wrong in thinking that Moiraine would do this, but you can't have everything.
This does leave Cadsuane with the problem of finding a new goal rather rapidly.

Sixth, it seems as though Perrin actually was gullible enough to have a meeting with Galad. I find that a bit disappointing, though I have to admit that I had expected it.
Wonder whether or we're going to see that actual meeting, and the negotiations that went on before it.

Seventh, who killed Asmodean, and why?
It seems now a bit less likely that it was Graendal, though she is still a strong contender (quite a feat, considering her current handicap).

Edited to add:
Is Mat under a curse involving AS and letters? If so, who cursed him thusly?
Old 11-04-2009, 12:52 PM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to whomever moved this. I had aimed a bit wrong, I think.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:53 PM
Hero of the Horn

Belazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Belazamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat
First and foremost: Verin. Naturally, of course.
Wonder what she's gonna do in the next book, to keep up her part as inscrutable mystery lady.
Mold?

Or, more mysteriously... not mold?

No one cares, no one sympathizes
You just stand around and play synthesizers
Old 11-04-2009, 01:23 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belazamon
Mold?

Or, more mysteriously... not mold?
If she doesnt mold, she'll likely be canonized.

I'm willing to bet that Egwene will have "more important" things to do than tell Rand that some of the Aes Sedai that he Compelled (in her mind) are Black Ajah. She'll probably be too busy picking a new Mistress of Novices and redecorating the Amyrlin's office to care about that.

Have I mentioned I still don't care for Egwene?

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 11-04-2009, 01:54 PM
Hero of the Horn

Brita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93
Have I mentioned I still don't care for Egwene?
I hope you can feel the disapproval radiating through the bond, you pig headed warder, you!

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. ― Anthony Bourdain
Old 11-04-2009, 01:56 PM
Hero of the Horn

WinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to WinespringBrother

I think Egwene should send an embassy to Rand that doesn't have orders to kidnap him. And that embassy should apologize to him. And invite him to apologize to Egwene.

"Oh, y'all [Theorylanders] are awesome with awesome sauce, but you ask a lot of tricky questions. I had to watch myself with you guys." - Maria

"I need to RAFO more things, I'm not being very Robert Jordan..." - Brandon
Old 11-04-2009, 02:11 PM
Hero of the Horn

JSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to JSUCamel Send a message via MSN to JSUCamel Send a message via Yahoo to JSUCamel

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinespringBrother
I think Egwene should send an embassy to Rand that doesn't have orders to kidnap him. And that embassy should apologize to him. And invite him to apologize to Egwene.
She should, but she won't. Remember, she's still upset that Rand's Asha'man bonded Aes Sedai, and she places the blame for that squarely at Rand's feet. She's one of those fool Aes Sedai who think Rand is a child that needs to be led around by the nose.

"Nice try, Jack!" - Robert Jordan (to Camel)
"Camel must be the coolest TLer ever, by now." -GLotD

A grilled cheese eaten more than five minutes later is just no good. -Crispin

Old 11-04-2009, 02:15 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSUCamel
She should, but she won't. Remember, she's still upset that Rand's Asha'man bonded Aes Sedai, and she places the blame for that squarely at Rand's feet. She's one of those fool Aes Sedai who think Rand is a child that needs to be led around by the nose.
Exactly, because Egwene in her vast 18-19 years of life has far more experience and knowledge than the guy that has all the knowledge of all his past lives in his head now...and who is the greatest/most powerful channeler of 2 Ages. She's so bloody annoying.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 11-04-2009, 02:17 PM
Hero of the Horn

JSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to JSUCamel Send a message via MSN to JSUCamel Send a message via Yahoo to JSUCamel

Quote:
Exactly, because Egwene in her vast 18-19 years of life has far more experience and knowledge than the guy that has all the knowledge of all his past lives in his head now...and who is the greatest/most powerful channeler of 2 Ages. She's so bloody annoying.
She doesn't know that, though. All she knows is that it's Rand, that wool-headed sheepherder from back home, who is now the Dragon Reborn. She doesn't know he's got the memories, she doesn't know his sanity is in question, and she doesn't know anything that's happened to him in the last few months. She's been locked up in Salidar and the White Tower for so long, she doesn't know what's going on out in the rest of the world.

From her perspective, it's a perfectly rational conclusion to reach. It's the wrong conclusion, but it's a perfectly logical one to make, given the information she has at her disposal.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:18 PM
Hero of the Horn

WinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to WinespringBrother

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSUCamel
She isn't such a fool as many make her out to be. And her honor may obligate her to take corrective steps regarding the White Tower's previous treatment of Rand. She has shown she can swallow hers and the Tower's pride for the greater good, and what can be greater than this?

"Oh, y'all [Theorylanders] are awesome with awesome sauce, but you ask a lot of tricky questions. I had to watch myself with you guys." - Maria

"I need to RAFO more things, I'm not being very Robert Jordan..." - Brandon
Old 11-04-2009, 02:22 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
From her perspective, it's a perfectly rational conclusion to reach. It's the wrong conclusion, but it's a perfectly logical one to make, given the information she has at her disposal
If only she had some sort of way to get more information before jumping to stupid conclusions. If only she had been at his side for most of his rise to power or had some sort of way to talk to people close to him. Or even use the WT Eyes and Ears to gather real intel about him.

Instead she bases all her opinions of him off of her memories of him as a teenage sheepherder in the Two Rivers and the belief that he has gone mad due to the Taint.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:23 PM
Hero of the Horn

Brita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
~~sigh~~

I really do wish she would give Rand a little more respect. Yes, even in this book she still thinks like Caddy and Nyneave- that Rand is just a hammer and they are the master carpenters. She is growing a lot though, and I hope, hope, hope she gets over this hang up. And not in a subtle way, but a "Oh my God, I've been a complete bitch about this!" way.

All this being said, she is still a great character, with a lot of redeeming qualities, and does deserve a little respect herself.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:25 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brita
~~sigh~~

All this being said, she is still a great character, with a lot of redeeming qualities, and does deserve a little respect herself.
I agree with that completely. I just think she has a HUGE blindspot when it comes to Rand and she placed the White Tower above the Dragon and winning the Last Battle. Maybe she'll figure that out now that she ousted Elaida.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:36 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinespringBrother
She isn't such a fool as many make her out to be. And her honor may obligate her to take corrective steps regarding the White Tower's previous treatment of Rand. She has shown she can swallow hers and the Tower's pride for the greater good, and what can be greater than this?
The short answer is that she honestly thinks that the Aes Sedai know better than Rand does. She may apologize for Elaida's orders, but it's unlikely she'll back down on her anger about Aes Sedai being bonded by Asha'man, and I doubt she'll be easily swayed into seeing Rand as an equal (or superior).

Old 11-04-2009, 03:50 PM
Hero of the Horn

Mort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Mort

It has been stated in a vision/prophecy somewhere that Rand is supposted to meet with the Amyrlin and know her anger...

I've toyed with the idea that Rand will meet with Egwene and the Hall and when they don't believe him or trust him, then he'll shock them by taking the three oaths. At least the one about not lying, just to make them trust him more.

It's probably not gonna happen but it could make a great scene.

Also, Cadsuane is supposed to teach Rand something, teach all the Asha'man something. We've all been thinking that was laughter and tears. But when is she in that case gonna start teaching the Asha'man that? Or will this in some way happen through Rand now?

Seems to me Cadsuane still has something to teach, and it seems less and less so that it was laughter and tears.

"I discovered at an early age that if I talk long enough, I can make anything right or wrong. So either I am God, or truth is relative." - Jeff Winger, Community
----------

We rode on the winds of the rising storm, we ran to the sounds of thunder.
We danced among the lighting bolts, and tore the world asunder.

Old 11-04-2009, 03:57 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort
Also, Cadsuane is supposed to teach Rand something, teach all the Asha'man something. We've all been thinking that was laughter and tears. But when is she in that case gonna start teaching the Asha'man that? Or will this in some way happen through Rand now?

Seems to me Cadsuane still has something to teach, and it seems less and less so that it was laughter and tears.
Maybe she just needs to teach him how to handle self-important old bitties with over-inflated sense of their own importance.

For me, Cadsuane is tied with Gawyn as the most annoying character in the series. With all her so-called wisdom, you would think she would know better than to start every sentence with some version of "Foolish boy!" when she is trying to get her point across.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:01 PM
Hero of the Horn

Belazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort
I've toyed with the idea that Rand will meet with Egwene and the Hall and when they don't believe him or trust him, then he'll shock them by taking the three oaths. At least the one about not lying, just to make them trust him more.
Binders don't work on men.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:10 PM
Hero of the Horn

Crispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat
Fourth, it just so happens that I had been a bit wrong about Verin and the Horn. On the other hand, she did seek out Mat as I had predicted. On the gripping hand, perhaps my "she hid the Horn, the letter tells where" idea is actually correct.
Plus now that Traveling is en vogue, Egwene is going to be moving all that stuff, right? Someone will undoubtedly find the Horn and think about using it.

Quote:
Fifth, I happened to be correct with my doubts about the idea that Cadsuane was going to teach laughter and tears. Of course, I was wrong in thinking that Moiraine would do this, but you can't have everything.
Well, she did bring Tam in to talk to Rand, and that spurred him on to do his integration, laughing etc. thing up on the mount.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:12 PM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belazamon
Binders don't work on men.
At least serial number 3 and serial number 111 don't work on men and those seem to be the only ones available.

(Now if I could just figure out which questions they go to. )

I met you in a past life. You were wrong then, too.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:17 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Harold
At least serial number 3 and serial number 111 don't work on men and those seem to be the only ones available.
It appears to be all binders, actually.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aCoS ch.40
"Of course," Caddar went on, "if you mean some other man - There is a thing called a binding chair. Binding people who cannot channel is more difficult than binding those who can. Perhaps a binding chair survived the Breaking, but you will have to wait while I find it."
No mention of any other, different "Oath Rods" that would do the trick.

Tags
rand/egwene, verin