art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (1): ShadowbaneX,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Book 12: The Gathering Storm
User Name
Password

Old 11-04-2009, 06:27 PM
Hero of the Horn

Birgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Birgitte Send a message via MSN to Birgitte
Default The True Power

It's quite honestly impossible to keep up with stuff here and keep up with real life, so forgive me if this has been discussed before.

But I have a theory. Try not to fall over.

I think Rand's been channeling the True Power unconsciously throughout tGS. More specifically, every time the light dimmed in the room when he was getting upset and unable to control it. I felt that the light dimming needed an explanation, but couldn't come up with a real viable reason the light would dim until I started my re-read of the series and came across this:

Quote:
TITLE: Eye of the World
CHAPTER: Prologue - Dragonmount
Tossing back his black cloak, Elan Morin flexed his hands. "A pity for you," he mused, "that one of your Sisters is not here. I was never very skilled at Healing, and I follow a different power now. But even one of them could only give you a few lucid minutes, if you did not destroy her first. What I can do will serve as well, for my purposes." His sudden smile was cruel. "But I fear Shai'tan's healing is different from the sort you know. Be healed, Lews Therin!" He extended his hands, and the light dimmed as if a shadow had been laid across the sun.
Now, that's hardly conclusive, true. But Rand is channeling every time I can think of that black cloud forms in the room and the only time an Asha'man is around to confirm he's channeling saidin is during his discussion with Tuon and there aren't any external signs of light Compulsion (note that I am asserting that he's using Compulsion on her. That's how I read it and that's how I still see it, even after considering Rand's ta'veren-ness. Her thoughts are just too unnatural for it to be anything else, imo. But that's largely another debate.)

Anyway, unless someone can give me another viable option or prove me wrong, I'm going with Rand is unknowingly channeling the TP.

I've also toyed with idea that Moridin is doing it through him somehow, but even I'm not sure about that one.

General of the Northern Border, Hero of Krieros Valley, the Coffinnail
Queen of the TCA

"Sometimes I sit around... watching chat... and thinking...sh*t... I created this madness." -- Lord of the Board
Old 11-04-2009, 06:30 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Yeah, there's also the bit where Ituralde watches him make a gateway outside the stedding, and Rand has a look of ecstasy on his face. When I first read that, I thought "Is Rand channeling the True Power?" And then I thought, nahhhhh....couldn't be!

But it's weird, cause he definitely realized he was using it when he killed Semirhage. You'd think he would have recognized it before. Perhaps he only recognized it with Semirhage because he KNEW it wasn't saidin.

However, the shadow that accompanied Ishamael in the early books is an advanced side effect of using the True Power, and I think some of that is coming through the link with Moridin.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:32 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez
Yeah, there's also the bit where Ituralde watches him make a gateway outside the stedding, and Rand has a look of ecstasy on his face. When I first read that, I thought "Is Rand channeling the True Power?" And then I thought, nahhhhh....couldn't be!

But it's weird, cause he definitely realized he was using it when he killed Semirhage. You'd think he would have recognized it before. Perhaps he only recognized it with Semirhage because he KNEW it wasn't saidin.
The ecstasy line bothered me too. At first I figured it was just the joy of channeling after being in a Stedding even if for a brief time.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 11-04-2009, 06:38 PM
Hero of the Horn

Birgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant future

Quote:
However, the shadow that accompanied Ishamael in the early books is an advanced side effect of using the True Power, and I think some of that is coming through the link with Moridin.
That's partly why I think that Moridin could be acting through him somehow.

Queen of the TCA

"Sometimes I sit around... watching chat... and thinking...sh*t... I created this madness." -- Lord of the Board
Old 11-05-2009, 06:50 PM
Hero of the Horn

Matoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of light

Whoa, good catch, oh TCA Queen (missed this the other day, and it has fallen down onto page two, so this is really a bump and me saying "huh. I could see this being true, possibly")

[Gawyn] probably pops his collar. - Kivo
Mat's hat is a Darkfriend. - Daekyras
Old 11-05-2009, 06:54 PM
Ancient

Kurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud of

Can the True Power be drawn through the Choeden Kal?

I didn't think so and Rand used that rather exclusively towards the end.

I figured the shadow was simply a remnant from that one single touchhing
Old 11-05-2009, 06:55 PM
Elder

Bonzi77 is a jewel in the roughBonzi77 is a jewel in the roughBonzi77 is a jewel in the roughBonzi77 is a jewel in the rough

I don't think he was using it with Ituralde. TP traveling is different than OP traveling. Remember how Ishamael appeared out of thin air in EotW?
Old 11-05-2009, 11:26 PM
Hero of the Horn

I'd go over the Rand scenes again to see and doublecheck stuff, but I'm lending my book to Bryan Blaire.

Queen of the TCA

Old 11-05-2009, 11:40 PM
Hero of the Horn

Frenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Frenzy Send a message via Yahoo to Frenzy

Perhaps one of Callandor's flaws is that it can amplify TP as well as Saidin. Wouldn't THAT be fun to watch.

And perhaps Rand will re-seal the Bore with the TP, so there's nothing to taint.

Perhaps i should finish the book and catch up on threads before i theorize.

"How the hell do you Godwin a thread with CUCUMBERS!!?" -- Tru

"I love cucumber prawn... " -- Ivhon

"Have to catch me first. Scared shitless always outruns mad as hell." -- Sinistrum

"Some days I'm happy Frenzy doesn't live next door." -- Tamyrlin

"So Frenzy is a scientist then?" -- Davian
"Well duh. An Evil scientist. " -- Khoram
Old 11-05-2009, 11:43 PM
Hero of the Horn

Matoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy
Perhaps i should finish the book
QFT.
Hurry up, o' leader of squirrels. We need your dark thoughts on the matters at hand.

[Gawyn] probably pops his collar. - Kivo
Mat's hat is a Darkfriend. - Daekyras
Old 11-05-2009, 11:47 PM
Ancient

Kurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud of

Quote:
Perhaps one of Callandor's flaws is that it can amplify TP as well as Saidin. Wouldn't THAT be fun to watch.

And perhaps Rand will re-seal the Bore with the TP, so there's nothing to taint.

Perhaps i should finish the book and catch up on threads before i theorize.

Frenzy, as always cuts through everything. She deserves an effigy.

That is a ridiculously good guess.

The Dark One would maybe be vulnerable to his own power
Old 11-05-2009, 11:49 PM
Hero of the Horn

Frenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Frenzy Send a message via Yahoo to Frenzy

It's like a cosmic "go fuck yourself" moment.

oh, and Perrin is now on the top of my list of who needs to be slapped. With Gawyn a close second.

i'm on Chapter 32. i'm almost there...

"How the hell do you Godwin a thread with CUCUMBERS!!?" -- Tru

"I love cucumber prawn... " -- Ivhon

"Have to catch me first. Scared shitless always outruns mad as hell." -- Sinistrum

"Some days I'm happy Frenzy doesn't live next door." -- Tamyrlin

"So Frenzy is a scientist then?" -- Davian
"Well duh. An Evil scientist. " -- Khoram
Old 11-05-2009, 11:53 PM
Ancient

Quote:
It's like a cosmic "go fuck yourself" moment.

oh, and Perrin is now on the top of my list of who needs to be slapped. With Gawyn a close second.

i'm on Chapter 32. i'm almost there...
Mat should always be top
Old 11-05-2009, 11:53 PM
Inbred, Ugly, and Drunk on Corn Liquor

Sei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond repute

No saa. Saa is caused by the TP.

Quote:
Those who channel the True Power find themselves irresistibly drawn to consume more and more of it as time goes on (or as long as they are allowed to by the Dark One). Eventually flecks and strands of blackness, called saa, would appear in the eyes of a habitual user in a greater degree as they channeled more and more of the True Power, until the saa spread across one's entire eyes to color them completely black, at which point the channeler had become totally and irreversibly insane.

www.buckeyestation.com look at it, love it, share it with your friends!
Old 11-06-2009, 12:16 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

Hence why we think the shadow thing is a product of the link with Moridin rather than a product of Rand using the True Power just that once (or maybe a few times, but still).
Old 11-06-2009, 12:21 AM
Ancient

Neilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93
The ecstasy line bothered me too. At first I figured it was just the joy of channeling after being in a Stedding even if for a brief time.
I think that Rand's saidin addiction doesn't get enough play. The guy holds on to saidin almost sconstantly, and lives in the void. Being in the stedding sucks for any channeler, to one as addicted to Rand it's gotta be horrible.

I don't think it's possible to channel the True Power without recognizing what it is.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:28 AM
Hero of the Horn

Rand holds saidin all the time because it's a pain in the ass to seize it, not because he's addicted. Also, he was only in the stedding for a few minutes.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:41 AM
Elder

Jonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to Jonai Send a message via AIM to Jonai Send a message via MSN to Jonai Send a message via Skype™ to Jonai

Quote:
Rand holds saidin all the time because it's a pain in the ass to seize it, not because he's addicted. Also, he was only in the stedding for a few minutes.
What she said. Besides, wasn't Rand in Far Madding for what seemed like forever and he wasn't freakin' too much, meanwhile, Nynaeve and company were high tailing it to the county line to partake of the saidar crack pipe.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:45 AM
Elder

nameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant future

If he wasn't addicted to begin with he will be pretty soon at the rate he's going.

And I'd be much more confident about posting this if I had my copy of tDR handy, but doesn't the whole dimming of the lights bit happen at the very end, when Rand names the Dark One? In The Gathering Storm I took it as a sign that he's had the DO's attention pretty much constantly ever since he touched the True Power, almost as if he were screaming "Shai'tan!" from the rooftops every few minutes.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:48 AM
Elder

Jonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to Jonai Send a message via AIM to Jonai Send a message via MSN to Jonai Send a message via Skype™ to Jonai

Well every channeler is addicted, but its a matter of degree. What did Moggy say? A very strong will could hold down the urge to draw on the One Power, but she didn't think a will existed strong enough to hold down the urge to draw the True Power.

So an addiction, albeit, a semi-controllable one.

Tags
rand/moridin, true power