art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Book 12: The Gathering Storm
User Name
Password

Old 11-06-2009, 10:15 PM
Youngling

Azure Skeith is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Regarding Rand's memories

I've been looking over the other threads and noticed a few people have mentioned this, but never really discussed it, and I've been wondering about it since finishing the book, so I decided to start this. If there is an older thread where the purpose was warped for a while to talk about this, I apologize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by "The Gathering Storm" Chapter 50: Veins of Gold
It all swept over him, lives lived, mistakes made, love changing everything. He saw the entire world in his mind's eye, lit by the glow in his hand. He remembered lives, hundreds of them, thousands of them, streching to infinity. He remembered love, and peace, and joy, and hope.

Within that moment, suddenly something amazing occurred to him. ...
Rand's crazy epiphany can be taken as two ways just glancing at it.

1) He now has access to memories of his past lives, all of them, giving him Birgette-esque retention.

2) Rand saw clearly for that one split second and has access to only AoL and his own current life's memories.

The people I've seen mention this in other threads seem to believe more along the lines of the first option, whether or not he would lose those memories over time just as Birgette has would remain to be seen.

When I look at it however, I can't be so sure. The "Within that moment..." seems to place a great time restraint on those memories. It could be taken as merely the time lapse for the epiphany, but I'm not sure.

Anyone else's thoughts on this matter?
Old 11-06-2009, 10:30 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

I find it hard to believe that he'll retain access to all of those memories while incarnate. Birgitte's loss of memories seems to imply that the incarnate body can only handle so much. It's impossible to say from the context, though. We'll just have to wait and see. I'm sure he'll at least retain his Lews Therin memories, but beyond that, I have no idea.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:31 PM
Hero of the Horn

Belazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Belazamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure Skeith
Anyone else's thoughts on this matter?
I lean towards the second one, personally.

Neopets fan?

No one cares, no one sympathizes
You just stand around and play synthesizers
Old 11-06-2009, 10:46 PM
Lord of the Board

Tamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tamyrlin
Default I wonder if this will go down as a PLE

It's like the Pattern waited for this moment to give him those memories and such to prep him for the final battle. Similar to Rand's fight with Ishamael in the sky, I wonder if this was another Pattern Level Event planned by Jordan.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:52 PM
Youngling

Azure Skeith is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belazamon
I lean towards the second one, personally.
Same here, I just wanted to see others opinions as well though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belazamon
Neopets fan?
Nah, haha. I've gotten that a few times before though. Actually, its a culmination of my previous .hack// fanaticism.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:55 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamyrlin
It's like the Pattern waited for this moment to give him those memories and such to prep him for the final battle. Similar to Rand's fight with Ishamael in the sky, I wonder if this was another Pattern Level Event planned by Jordan.
I doubt it, since there was an obvious mechanism to the integration. Also, I believe RJ said that the flashing of the sky battle over Saldaea and Ghealdan was a theWheeldidit, but not the sky battle itself.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:55 PM
Elder

FelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant future

Quote:
Now I'm beginning to wonder if Mat will suddenly gain his own past memories in ToM, in parallel to Rand's own experiences in tGS?? Specifically the song the seekers of the Tinkers have been trying to find for years and years?

Mat and Rand, both went to Rhuidean after all, and share to some degree that rite of passage together. Only Mat's luck seems to of prevented him from becoming an Aiel clan chief at the time.

For more see, @TinkerPride at Twitter.com
Old 11-06-2009, 11:01 PM
Hero of the Horn

Rand knows the seed songs now that his memories are integrated.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:17 PM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixPax
Now I'm beginning to wonder if Mat will suddenly gain his own past memories in ToM, in parallel to Rand's own experiences in tGS?? Specifically the song the seekers of the Tinkers have been trying to find for years and years?

Mat and Rand, both went to Rhuidean after all, and share to some degree that rite of passage together. Only Mat's luck seems to of prevented him from becoming an Aiel clan chief at the time.
I don't think there is any possibility of Mat having enough Aiel ancestors for the Glass Columns to affect him at all. He could probably run back and forth through the columns all day without getting a single flashback to an ancestor's POV.

Mat ancestry is clearly Manetherin and ONLY Manatherin because of how inbred the Three Rivers is. Mat an Perrin both were born in Emond's Field of a lineage that had stayed in the Two Rivers since the fall of Manatherin -- IOW, No Aiel in their ancestry at all.

Rand could become a Clan Chief -- and Car'a'carn -- because his father was Aiel.

See the Aiel Prophecies about "Born of the Ancient Blood and raised by an Old Blood, not ours" (and a coresponding KC prophecy)

(Now if I could just figure out which questions they go to. )

I met you in a past life. You were wrong then, too.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:54 PM
Lord of the Board

Tamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Obvious Mechanism?

What mechanism would have enabled Rand to access all of his lives as with the Heroes waiting in T'A'R, that isn't some Wheel/Pattern intervention?

And, no, I'm quite sure Rand's battle with Ishamael was a PLE.

Quote:
Question: At the end of the Great Hunt when Rand and Ishamael were fighting in the air above Falme, they appeared in the sky over many places and my question is whether this is something done by the one power or something down by the Creator, how did they appear in the sky?

Jordan: An effect of the Wheel, really. It wasnt the Creator. The Wheel is more than a simple mechanism. Remember the Wheel can spit out taveren, can spit out Heroes as a self correcting device because the Pattern is drifting from what it is supposed to be. We are not talking about something as simple as a spinning wheel at all, we are talking something more along the lines of the most complex computer you could possibly imagine. There were at that time, two, there were false dragons that had a chance to create a lot of disruption. By the appearance in the sky at that battle, not just in Falme but in other places, those false dragons were taken off the board because there was only room now for one, for one dragon.
That's what I refer to as a Pattern Level Event, but I guess "effect of the Wheel" works, just doesn't sound as cool.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:58 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
What mechanism would have enabled Rand to access all of his lives as with the Heroes waiting in T'A'R, that isn't some Wheel/Pattern intervention?
If you're just talking about that one moment, then okay. I thought you were talking about the integration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam
And, no, I'm quite sure Rand's battle with Ishamael was a PLE.
k, I was remembering RJ's reasoning (which only really fits the flashes above Saldaea and Ghealdan).
Old 11-07-2009, 12:01 AM
Lord of the Board

Default Ah - no, just the lives remembering

Quote:
If you're just talking about that one moment, then okay. I thought you were talking about the integration.
Although, when you think about it, giving Rand this moment of awareness of all of his lives...does present an obvious way that the Wheel was weaving the Pattern to overcome the affects of the Taint...etc.
Old 11-07-2009, 12:03 AM
Hero of the Horn

Wat?
Old 11-07-2009, 12:12 AM
Elder

FelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Harold
I don't think there is any possibility of Mat having enough Aiel ancestors for the Glass Columns to affect him at all. He could probably run back and forth through the columns all day without getting a single flashback to an ancestor's POV.
So why and how would Moiraine be able to get a viewing from those very same Glass Columns?

Moiraine is not obviously of Aiel blood either, and yet it worked for her. So this theory seems to have a hole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Harold
Mat ancestry is clearly Manetherin and ONLY Manatherin because of how inbred the Three Rivers is. Mat an Perrin both were born in Emond's Field of a lineage that had stayed in the Two Rivers since the fall of Manatherin -- IOW, No Aiel in their ancestry at all.

Rand could become a Clan Chief -- and Car'a'carn -- because his father was Aiel.
The Aiel and later Jenn Aiel (Tinkers) were originally spread across the lands. Only later did they go into the Waste or Three Folds Land, and built Rhuidean. The Aiel would indeed have distant blood relatives elsewhere across the Westlands and on the Sea Folk Islands.

I would not be surprised to learn that the Sea Folk are distant relatives of the Aiel and Jenn Aiel. Except that the Sea Folk's version of the Jenn Aiel would of been the Amayar on the islands with their Water Way.

Who's to say what happened to former Aiel outside the Sea Folk islands and Three Folds Lands? Did they intermarry and adopt their spouse's cultural customs, dropping their former Jenn Aiel customs in the process??

The Tinkers abandon their own sons & daughters if they take up other people's customs it seems, e.g. Aram. So their blood would live on, but unacknowledged.

For more see, @TinkerPride at Twitter.com
Old 11-07-2009, 12:28 AM
Hero of the Horn

jason wolfbrother has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to jason wolfbrother Send a message via MSN to jason wolfbrother Send a message via Yahoo to jason wolfbrother

Moiraine didn't go through the glass columns. that is for the 2nd trip the Wise Women take to Rhuidean.

Quote:
TITLE: Shadow Rising
CHAPTER: 23 - Beyond the Stone
"In Rhuidean," Amys said, "you will find three rings, arranged so." She drew three lines in the air, joining together in the middle. "Step through any one. You will see your future laid before you, again and again, in variation. They will not guide you wholly, as is best, for they will fade together as do stories heard long ago, yet you will remember enough to know some things that must be, for you, despised as they may be, and some that must not, cherished hopes that they are. This is the beginning of being called wise. Some women never return from the rings; perhaps they could not face the future. Some who survive the rings do not survive their second trip to Rhuidean, to the heart. You are not giving up a hard and dangerous life for a softer, but for a harder and more dangerous."
Quote:
TITLE: Shadow Rising
CHAPTER: 23 - Beyond the Stone
"Rand al'Thor." "Mat. Mat Cauthon." Amys nodded. "You, Rand al'Thor, must go into the heart of Rhuidean, to the very center. If you wish to go with him, Mat Cauthon, so be it, but know that most men who enter Rhuidean's heart do not come back, and some return mad. You may carry neither food nor water, in remembrance of our wanderings after the Breaking. You must go to Rhuidean unarmed, save with your hands and your own heart, to honor the Jenn. If you have weapons, place them on the ground before us. They will be here for you when you return. If you return."
The glass columns are at the heart of Rhuidean. That is where Aviendha is currently bound. Moiraine never entered them.

Wash:"Things are about to get interesting"
Mal:"Define interesting..."
Wash:"Oh God! Oh God! We're all gonna die!?"

"If you are not living life on the edge, you are taking up too much space"
Old 11-07-2009, 12:30 AM
Elder

nameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant future

Moraine didn't use the columns. She used the rings. That said, I don't think there's any reason to believe the columns only work for Aiel just because no one other than Aiel have ever been allowed to use them.
Old 11-07-2009, 12:33 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by nameless
Moraine didn't use the columns. She used the rings. That said, I don't think there's any reason to believe the columns only work for Aiel just because no one other than Aiel have ever been allowed to use them.
There is, actually:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ
Crossroads of Twilight eBook "Glimmers" Interview

Q: Rhuarc indicates that an Aiel in Rhuidean sees the past through the eyes of one of his ancestors. Is this true for the women as well? What would a non-Aiel see, if anything?

RJ: Yes, a woman would also see through the eyes of her ancestors, at least in the “forest of crystal spires” ter’angreal, and she, too, would live the history of the Aiel, in effect. Someone who wasn’t Aiel could wander through those spires forever and never see a thing except the spires. He or she might think it was a monument, or maybe a work of art. Just for a reminder, women who are chosen out to be Wise Ones have to go to Rhuidean twice, the second time for the spires and the first for another ter’angreal, one that makes her see all of the possible paths her life could take all the way to their conclusion. She can’t possibly remember all of them, of course, but some things she will remember and know that it would be very bad for her to make that particular choice when it comes, or alternatively, very good. This is the ter’angreal that Moiraine went through.
Old 11-07-2009, 12:36 AM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixPax
So why and how would Moiraine be able to get a viewing from those very same Glass Columns?
It would be a very good trick if she got any ancestral memories from the Galss Columns Ter'angreal used for selecting Clan Chiefs and confirming Wise Ones since she went through the Rhuidean Three Arches ter'angreal used for testing Wise One Apprentices. The Rhuidean Three Arches Ter'angreal is not to be confused with the White Tower's Three Arches ter'angreal used for Accepted testing. They are similar in form but different in function.

As for Tinker ancestry in the Three Rivers and or Aiel Ancestry from as far back as the Breaking, it's not likely -- The Aiel and Two Rivers are established as as pure and insular genetic pools as it is possible for them to be. Pure and insular enough to be identifiable in Prophecy.

The Glass Columns are keyed specifically to the history of the Aiel and RJ confirmed that each candidates sees his/her own ancestors who were present at key points in the history of the Aiel. They did not show Rand any of his Andoran/Cairheinen lineage, although it showed the meeting between the proto-Aiel and proto-cairheinens -- Rand quite possibly had two ancestors at that meeting.

(Now if I could just figure out which questions they go to. )

I met you in a past life. You were wrong then, too.
Old 11-07-2009, 12:38 AM
Hero of the Horn

How many Theorylanders does it take to debunk a Felix post?
Old 11-07-2009, 12:39 AM
Hero of the Horn

jason wolfbrother has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to jason wolfbrother Send a message via MSN to jason wolfbrother Send a message via Yahoo to jason wolfbrother

only one. the rest of you are just too slow and didn't bother to read my reply

Wash:"Things are about to get interesting"
Mal:"Define interesting..."
Wash:"Oh God! Oh God! We're all gonna die!?"

"If you are not living life on the edge, you are taking up too much space"

Tags
integration, lews therin