art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Book 12: The Gathering Storm
User Name
Password

Old 11-17-2009, 10:30 AM
Elder

Yellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to behold
Default The Towers of Midnight

Been looking for more info. on TToM. Found this:

Quote:
The Towers of Midnight form a fortress complex located within the city of Imfaral, located on the northern landmass of the Seanchan continent. There are thirteen towers in the fortress. The Towers of Midnight are first noted in history as the place where Deain, the creator of the a'dam, was imprisoned after being betrayed by Luthair Paendrag Mondwin during the Conquest.

The Towers of Midnight and the city of Imfaral were captured early during Luthair's invasion, and were the primary base of operations for the invaders before they took Seandar later in the war.

Towers of Midnight has been announced as the title of Book 13.

Robert Jordan expanded on the Towers of Midnight at DragonCon 2005.
It's a quote from http://wot.wikia.com/wiki/Towers_of_Midnight

Was wondering if anyone had seen it, or remembers anything more? Perhaps it is where Demandred has been hanging out.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:31 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowbeard
Been looking for more info. on TToM. Found this:

It's a quote from http://wot.wikia.com/wiki/Towers_of_Midnight

Was wondering if anyone had seen it, or remembers anything more? Perhaps it is where Demandred has been hanging out.
That's basically just repeating what's already said.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:48 AM
Hero of the Horn

SauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to SauceyBlueConfetti

Jordan: There are thirteen towers of midnight. The Towers of Midnight are a fortress complex, and were, at the time this happened, Shandar wasn’t the capital, and the Towers of Midnight were the center of military might, or the forces that were beginning the consolidation before the conquest of Seanchan.

Ogier related? Possibly a stedding that grew into a Fortress, thereby eliminating the possibility of folks channeling inside it??

If they fear marath'damane so much, it makes sense the center of military power should be free from attack with the Power.
Yeah. Murderous Saucey. My superhero name
I am Detroit. You REALLY wanna call me wimpy?
Haphazardly Spell & Fact Checked Since June 2001
Old 11-17-2009, 11:00 AM
Elder

Yellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
That's basically just repeating what's already said.
yeah, but i hadn't seen it pop up on TL. i was going thru the interview database and haven't been able to find a record of the interview where RJ allegedly gave out this info. on the TToM.

but then again, i'm was also looking while be distracted by design replacement water and sewer lines at work...and i never get a chance to get on the computer at home these days.

i was trying to see if there were anything else mentioned about TToM besides it being what sounds like the seachan version of a nearly impregnable fortress. of course, given the use of damane, why would they have such a place? the attack on the white tower showed that when using damane, fixed fortifications are pretty useless.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:16 AM
Ancient

Ozymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to all

Quote:
yeah, but i hadn't seen it pop up on TL.
http://theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2650

Your right. It hasn't been said in all of two days.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:25 AM
Hero of the Horn

Ishara has disabled reputation
Send a message via MSN to Ishara

LOL. Poor yb.

Saucy, I like the idea, but the original Ogier can't have been like the Gardeners right away, right? I mean, they must have "started" out as peaceful and peaceloving as "our" Ogier. I can't see the supplanting of the Stedding for the purposes of war going over too well, though - you know? But maybe...

Rand: You are an insensitive bastard!!!
Mat: And you ruined another hat!

It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by lightening. -- Calvin

"Gee, I wish I could do magic! Maybe I'll try!" --SDog

Official Vixen of Theoryland and Theoryland Siren

Grain Goddess, the Rood Inverse, the Mad Glomper
Old 11-17-2009, 11:31 AM
Hero of the Horn

SauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to SauceyBlueConfetti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishara
the original Ogier can't have been like the Gardeners right away, right? I mean, they must have "started" out as peaceful and peaceloving as "our" Ogier. I can't see the supplanting of the Stedding for the purposes of war going over too well, though - you know? But maybe...
True. But what if the fortress was built on the stedding, and that was what DREW the Ogier there after the fact?

Dunno. Just a random thought.
Yeah. Murderous Saucey. My superhero name
I am Detroit. You REALLY wanna call me wimpy?
Haphazardly Spell & Fact Checked Since June 2001
Old 11-17-2009, 12:32 PM
Hero of the Horn

Ishara has disabled reputation
Send a message via MSN to Ishara

Ohhh. So maybe they prevented the Longing by becoming warriors - hell of a cost, eh?

Rand: You are an insensitive bastard!!!
Mat: And you ruined another hat!

It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by lightening. -- Calvin

"Gee, I wish I could do magic! Maybe I'll try!" --SDog

Official Vixen of Theoryland and Theoryland Siren

Grain Goddess, the Rood Inverse, the Mad Glomper
Old 11-17-2009, 12:40 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias
http://theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2650

You know, I was confused for a minute because I thought that this thread was that thread. I had no idea this was a new thread, lol. When I went to click on it just now, I was confused about how few replies were on it for a second, but I reduced the sound of that nagging thought to a fly's buzzing...
Old 11-17-2009, 12:56 PM
Elder

Spasmodean is just really niceSpasmodean is just really niceSpasmodean is just really niceSpasmodean is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishara
LOL. Poor yb.

Saucy, I like the idea, but the original Ogier can't have been like the Gardeners right away, right? I mean, they must have "started" out as peaceful and peaceloving as "our" Ogier. I can't see the supplanting of the Stedding for the purposes of war going over too well, though - you know? But maybe...
Weren't the Ogier like a police force in AOL?
During Rand's Rhuidean experience didn't someone say "You want the Ogier to come for you?" or something similar?

I think the Seanchan ones seem more true to the AOL Ogier tbh.
Old 11-17-2009, 01:11 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spasmodean
Weren't the Ogier like a police force in AOL?
During Rand's Rhuidean experience didn't someone say "You want the Ogier to come for you?" or something similar?

I think the Seanchan ones seem more true to the AOL Ogier tbh.
Yes, Yes they were. I think both the Seanchan and Randland Ogier are extremes from the AoL Ogier. The Randland went to the extreme peaceful side of the spectrum while the Seanchan Ogier went to the vicious deadly killer/Seanchan Imperial Stormtrooper side of the spectrum.

It will be interesting if and when they meet.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 11-17-2009, 01:24 PM
Elder

Quote:
well...sorry if i shit in your wheaties or something. i haven't read every single thread. not enough time between work, family, and the need to eat, sleep, and shower. that's why i said i had not seen it before, i didn't say there hadn't been one.
Old 11-17-2009, 01:42 PM
Youngling

isamu237 has a spectacular aura aboutisamu237 has a spectacular aura aboutisamu237 has a spectacular aura about

Just had a random thought here.
I mentioned in the previous post perhaps TToM would figure in as a foray to Seanchan to either secure the Imperial Throne or, more likely, gather up what armies remain loyal to Tuon and return to Randland for Tarmon Gaidon.
And then I randomly remembered Rand is going to "bind the nine moons to serve him". So could Rand end up helping in something like this to make Tuon beholden to him?
Old 11-17-2009, 06:29 PM
Ancient

Ozymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to all

Quote:
well...sorry if i shit in your wheaties or something. i haven't read every single thread. not enough time between work, family, and the need to eat, sleep, and shower. that's why i said i had not seen it before, i didn't say there hadn't been one.
I mean... it did say "Towers of Midnight" in the thread title? And it was right there, on the top half of the page...

As for the Ogier, it may be a territoriality thing? Randland Ogier never had the time or strength or desire to stop and fight; they were always looking for the stedding.. Maybe Seanchan Ogier found their stedding and were forced to defend them, hence promoting martial aspects of their culture.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:20 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias
I mean... it did say "Towers of Midnight" in the thread title? And it was right there, on the top half of the page...

As for the Ogier, it may be a territoriality thing? Randland Ogier never had the time or strength or desire to stop and fight; they were always looking for the stedding.. Maybe Seanchan Ogier found their stedding and were forced to defend them, hence promoting martial aspects of their culture.
Could be...we know that they found the stedding rather easily and that there are more stedding in Seanchan as that's the reason Ogier Gardeners don't suffer from the Longing.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 11-17-2009, 07:49 PM
Elder

Spasmodean is just really niceSpasmodean is just really niceSpasmodean is just really niceSpasmodean is just really nice

As I've said in another thread, I do not take book title literally.

Tower of Ghenjei, and all that is left to resolve there.
White Tower, with Mesaana still lurking in it as well as 4 Seanchan super assassins.
Black Tower, and ALL of the unresolved issues it has with Taim, the bonded sisters, the expedition from the Red Ajah loyalists and also the Salidar bonding trip with Faolain and Theodrin it.

3 towers need sorting out in the next 2 books, I think we'll see it done in TOM.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:47 PM
Elder

kivo is a name known to allkivo is a name known to allkivo is a name known to allkivo is a name known to allkivo is a name known to allkivo is a name known to allkivo is a name known to allkivo is a name known to allkivo is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spasmodean
As I've said in another thread, I do not take book title literally.

Tower of Ghenjei, and all that is left to resolve there.
White Tower, with Mesaana still lurking in it as well as 4 Seanchan super assassins.
Black Tower, and ALL of the unresolved issues it has with Taim, the bonded sisters, the expedition from the Red Ajah loyalists and also the Salidar bonding trip with Faolain and Theodrin it.

3 towers need sorting out in the next 2 books, I think we'll see it done in TOM.
Not to mention Moridin's black tower in the deep northeastern blight, or the 7 towers of Malkier, the last Lord of which rides to lead what may be the first charge on the front lines in the Last Battle.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:20 AM
Hero of the Horn

a dragonburned fool is a glorious beacon of lighta dragonburned fool is a glorious beacon of lighta dragonburned fool is a glorious beacon of lighta dragonburned fool is a glorious beacon of lighta dragonburned fool is a glorious beacon of lighta dragonburned fool is a glorious beacon of lighta dragonburned fool is a glorious beacon of light

The name "Towers of Midnight" corresponds too well to the name "armies of the night", as the first enemies of the Emprie there were known. So I'd suggest rather that it was a centre of pre-empire power, seat of their "Aes Sedai", Luthair's first amjor victory on the continent. I would rather expect Seandar to be assotiated with a stedding. In the first days the sul'dam corps was rather a great advantage for Luthair, on account of being a disciplined body of loyal channelers in contrast to the infights between the local AS.

Since the exotic beasts, especially raken and to'raken were known as special trait of the Armies of the Night, it is quite possible the Towers of Midnight were originally a large breeding pen for one or more varieties of such beasts.

A standing fortress still has it's value for an army with sul'dam. Seanchans demonstrated that by their attempt to seize Darluna, where Ituralde made his trap. Their reason to go to Darluna was, that in Fortress they can use more effectively their damane because they can see the enemy approaching before been seen themselves. To be effective an One Power attack against a fortress must be very powerfull and for that end the attacker must approach in force first.

The attack aaginst White Tower prove that a fortress not prepared for defense is a liability - a conclusion that doesn't need a channeler army to draw. If Tar Valon was prepared, the Aes Sedai could shoot down to-raken while still approaching.

Tags
the towers of midnight, towers of midnight