art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Book 12: The Gathering Storm
User Name
Password

Old 11-17-2009, 11:29 PM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future
Default A Question of Timing.

tGS
Prologue
Greandal POV

... Mesaana was in the White Tower, pretending to be one of what passed for an Aes Sedai in this Age. She was obvious and easy to read; Graendal's agents in the White Tower kept her well apprised of Mesaana's activities. And, of course, Graendal's own newly minted association with Aran'gar was helpful as well. Aran'gar was playing with the rebel Aes Sedai, the ones who were besieging the White Tower.
In the discussion of Mesaana's secret identity and location, I got the impression that this "Forsaken Coffee Hour" scene was considered to be completely post-KOD. However, Aran'gar/Halima left the SAS camp just ahead of a probable lynch mob on day 746 -- twenty days before the end of KoD and two days before Semirhage's capture.

How long after Semirhage's capture does this take place? And why does Greandal think Aran'gar "is" playing with the rebels rather than acknowledging that placement was compromised. (eg why "was playing" instead of "had been playing.")

(Now if I could just figure out which questions they go to. )

I met you in a past life. You were wrong then, too.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:39 AM
Elder

reTaardad is a jewel in the roughreTaardad is a jewel in the roughreTaardad is a jewel in the roughreTaardad is a jewel in the rough

From perusing that scene, I only see Graendal, Moridin, Demandred, and Mesaana. I doubt that Aran'gar would be quick to tell someone that she has completely lost her seat of power in the rebel camp (though she'll have some explaining to do now that the Tower isn't in rebellion), and the separation between her flight and Semirhage's capture was only two days. My guess would be that the meeting happened the day of or after Rand & Co. snagged Semirhage, since Moridin's hand still hurts. Maybe I'm missing the point of your question, but I assumed that the beginning of tGS was in lock step with KoD's end.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:11 AM
Elder

Wunderwaffe has a spectacular aura aboutWunderwaffe has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Wunderwaffe

I also noticed this Weird Harold. It seemed strange that Aran'gar wasn't at this meeting. It also seemed strange that Graendal wasn't updated in regards to Aran'gar's status. What could Aran'gar be doing?
Old 11-18-2009, 03:51 AM
Hero of the Horn

a dragonburned fool is a glorious beacon of lighta dragonburned fool is a glorious beacon of lighta dragonburned fool is a glorious beacon of lighta dragonburned fool is a glorious beacon of lighta dragonburned fool is a glorious beacon of lighta dragonburned fool is a glorious beacon of lighta dragonburned fool is a glorious beacon of light

There is nothing strange Aran'gar is not at the meeting, since Moridin said to Graendal her presence there is an award. Aran'gar hasn't done enough to deserve an award, obviously. reTaardad has right, that Aran'gar wouldn't like to inform everybody about being compromised in the rebel camp. But the problem is that Graendal is supposed to run an extremely good inteligence network. And the circumstances around Halima's running away were definitely noticed in the rebel AS camp. Extremely so, I must add. If Graendal has a single spy in the rebel AS camp, she should know. It would be very strange if she hasn't one. Or maybe she still has to receive her weekly reports from the rebel camp or something? Still strange though.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:43 AM
Hero of the Horn

Crispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond repute

Is Graendal's "newly minted" association with Aran'gar something new to the reader, as well, or did I just forget a chapter somewhere?

If I haven't forgotten something, what is that about? How new is it, if it's supposed to be after Halima leaving the Rebels?
Old 11-18-2009, 01:24 PM
Hero of the Horn

WinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to WinespringBrother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispin's Crispian
Is Graendal's "newly minted" association with Aran'gar something new to the reader, as well, or did I just forget a chapter somewhere?

If I haven't forgotten something, what is that about? How new is it, if it's supposed to be after Halima leaving the Rebels?
They formed an alliance, when flirting in the Garden Party in KOD.

"Oh, y'all [Theorylanders] are awesome with awesome sauce, but you ask a lot of tricky questions. I had to watch myself with you guys." - Maria

"I need to RAFO more things, I'm not being very Robert Jordan..." - Brandon

Tags
chronology, mesaana