art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Book Tour: The Gathering Storm
User Name
Password

Old 11-20-2009, 12:37 PM
Lord of the Board

Tamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tamyrlin
Default Okay - New Questions Thread - What's left?

What do we want to know? What theories are hanging on that we think Brandon would kill for us?

I'm planning on talking to him about the nature of the Dark One. What else?
Old 11-20-2009, 01:02 PM
Hero of the Horn

SauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to SauceyBlueConfetti

Ask who killed Asmodean.

Comedy. That's Comedy.
Yeah. Murderous Saucey. My superhero name
I am Detroit. You REALLY wanna call me wimpy?
Haphazardly Spell & Fact Checked Since June 2001
Old 11-20-2009, 01:12 PM
Elder

Bonzi77 is a jewel in the roughBonzi77 is a jewel in the roughBonzi77 is a jewel in the roughBonzi77 is a jewel in the rough

If you could do me a favor, ask if the three oaths have to be sworn word for word. I'm wondering if Mesaana could subtly change the wording of her oath to invalidate it. Such as "by the light, I swear...".
Old 11-20-2009, 01:22 PM
Elder

FelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant future
Default Question for Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamyrlin
What do we want to know? What theories are hanging on that we think Brandon would kill for us?

I'm planning on talking to him about the nature of the Dark One. What else?
Questions for Brandon:

#1 - "Who are Mat's People"? In reference to his first Aelfinn question.

#2 - Are Talaan's three relatives Clan rank Windfinders from Dacan, Rossaine, Takana Clans? Great-grandmother; grandmother; and great-grandmother's sister?

#3 - Are we going to see more descriptions of each Sea Folk Clans unique tattoos designs, and variation for lines within a Clan, within the next two books?

#4 - Why didn't Setalle Anan, Seta, and Bethamin Zeami go along with the three Aes Sedai into Hinderstap with Thom, Mat, and Talmanes in tGS? I thought Joline was teaching the Sul'dam, so what were they doing?

#5 - Are Elayne, Nynaeve Dreamers too?

I ask because there is an Elayne where she Dreams of all the women who are going to "share" Rand (Liandrin, Min, Egwene, Birgitte, Aviendha, Amathera among others), in the same chapter that Birgitte wakes up in the wagon for the first time outside the TAR.

#6 - Who came up with the idea of binding Aes Sedai to Three Oaths?

#7 - How are memories from the "Old Blood" different than a soul's reborn memories say Birgitte's before and after being ripped out of the TAR? And also Mat's Eelfinn given memories? How is the "old blood" memories different, unique?

#8 - Did Da'shain Aiel have first-sisters, first-brothers, second-fathers, second-mothers type family structure?

#8 - Were these lines setup for future irony :

Quote:
Originally Posted by tEoW book, Chapter "Wolfbrother"
"From Saldaea, eh?" Elyas said when she was done.
Perrin nodded. "That's right. We thought about seeing Maradon first. I'd surely like to see the King. But the capital city would be the first place our fathers would look."
#9 - Was Luca, reborn as Valan Luca in the current Age? Is he a Hero, as is pointedly suggested in KoD, Chapter "A Stave and a Razor" and elsewhere in the series? That's those are my theories.

#10 - Have we seen the living dead ghosts of Comelle already in the story? One hundred leagues westward over the sun-sparkled water, off the edge of the cliff (tSR, Ch. "The Dedicated" - Rand' pov, memories of Jonai); that would be roughly westward of now Land's End, Saldaea yes?

#11 - Noal is Ishamael's tool, right?

#12 - There are 12 Sea Folk Clans, as Harine din Togara Two Winds implies directly in KoD Chapter "To Make an Anchor Weep", yes? Not six Sea Folk Clans as eWOT suggests?

That's a few unasked questions I had for Brandon during his booktour, but never was able to ask. I was trying to respect the next 100-150 other people behind me in line, by being quick.

I could of queried him about Mesaana, Verin, Balefire...but I figured a million other people would bring those questions up and we'd all learn the answers if any were given.

Thanks Tam for asking for questions! I appreciate it.

For more see, @TinkerPride at Twitter.com

Last edited by FelixPax; 11-20-2009 at 01:33 PM.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:22 PM
Elder

Yuri33 is just really niceYuri33 is just really niceYuri33 is just really niceYuri33 is just really niceYuri33 is just really nice

1) Clarify whether Rand truly had the DO's permission or not to use the TP.

2) Does the Healing of stilling by the same gender result in a proportional loss or a fixed loss of channeling strength? (an indirect way to get more info on the Cyndane issue without being RAFOed, hopefully)

3) Were male channelers across Randland able to feel Rand's use of the male CK when he destroyed it atop Dragonmount?

4) Why did the female but not male CK break at the Cleansing? (now that both are gone, he may not RAFO this)

5) Has Egwene's "struggling up a cliff and being rescued by a Seanchan with a sword" dream been fulfilled with the unification of the WT? (just to settle things absolutely)

Last edited by Yuri33; 11-20-2009 at 01:27 PM.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:42 PM
Elder

FelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri33
5) Has Egwene's "struggling up a cliff and being rescued by a Seanchan with a sword" dream been fulfilled with the unification of the WT? (just to settle things absolutely)
Yuri - I recall Brandon saying elsewhere that, that particular prophecy had not been fulfilled; Egwene's dream of the one Seanchan with a sword on a mountain side/cliff.

For more see, @TinkerPride at Twitter.com
Old 11-20-2009, 02:01 PM
Hero of the Horn

Belazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Belazamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixPax
Yuri - I recall Brandon saying elsewhere that, that particular prophecy had not been fulfilled; Egwene's dream of the one Seanchan with a sword on a mountain side/cliff.
I believe the problem is that Brandon said "only the dreams/prophecies about the White Tower attack" were fulfilled. So it's a question of whether this was a Dream about the attack or not.

No one cares, no one sympathizes
You just stand around and play synthesizers
Old 11-20-2009, 02:03 PM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamyrlin
What do we want to know? ...
Has Egwene (or anyone else) become Ta'veren since RJ said there were no female ta'veren?

What effect, if any, did the existance of ta'veren abroad in the world have on the growth of Egwene's influence in the WT before the Seanchan attack?

(Now if I could just figure out which questions they go to. )

I met you in a past life. You were wrong then, too.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:12 PM
Elder

Bonzi77 is a jewel in the roughBonzi77 is a jewel in the roughBonzi77 is a jewel in the roughBonzi77 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Harold
Has Egwene (or anyone else) become Ta'veren since RJ said there were no female ta'veren?

What effect, if any, did the existance of ta'veren abroad in the world have on the growth of Egwene's influence in the WT before the Seanchan attack?
I've wondered about Tuon, myself.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:20 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Here's a list of questions, mostly from factions:

Did the reintegration constitute a 'death' for Lews Therin? Does this fulfill Min's touch/merge viewing? Does this fulfill the 'Finns' 'to live you must die'?

In the Age of Legends, was Lanfear artificially enhanced to be either stronger in the Power, or more beautiful?

Did Verin have anything to do with Alanna bonding Rand?

One previous (and contested) signing report says that RJ stated the time loop trap (with the flies) in The Great Hunt was set by Fain. Is this true?

In the lives where Heroes don't do 'anything extraordinary' (BS's words), are they still 'corrective mechanisms'?

Can Darkfriends be Heroes of the Horn? (I think this is a dumb question, but some people actually argue that they can be.)

Was Tuon already aware that sul'dam could learn to channel, or did she just learn that after arriving on the Randland continent?

Are the gholam also immune to the True Power?

Possible RAFOs, but it can't hurt to ask:

Why is Lanfear weaker in the Power now that she's been transmigrated as Cyndane?

Since all of the rebels' ter'angreal were confirmed missing, why was Sheriam missing a finger (or possibly more than one finger)?

Can burned-out channelers be Healed?

Is the Book of Translation a guide to the Portal Stones?

Did transmigration (as in, the way some Forsaken were brought back from the dead) have anything to do with the way Slayer was made?

Is Taim a new Forsaken?

Who sent the Shadowspawn attack to Lord Algarin's manor?

Last edited by Terez; 11-20-2009 at 02:22 PM.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:22 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzi77
I've wondered about Tuon, myself.
These answers seem to imply that she is not ta'veren:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWS
The Gathering Storm Book Tour, Dallas Borders 14 November 2009 - Aubree Pham reporting

Rand did not use Compulsion, or any other weaves, on Tuon at their meeting. Tuon's refusal was mainly due to her innate sense of self. At this point, she firmly believes that she is the most important person in the world.

The Gathering Storm Book Tour, Books and Co., Dayton, OH 11 November 2009 - Tim Kington reporting

Q: After Rand has channeled the True Power, he has a dark cloud around him. When he meets with Tuon after this, she manages to resist his ta’veren pull. Is this because the True Power has reduced his ta’veren mojo?
A: The reason she manages to resist is that she has a lot of willpower. Rand is just as ta’veren as ever.
Because if she was, that would have had something to do with how she resisted, but Brandon says it's just willpower.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:24 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
1) Clarify whether Rand truly had the DO's permission or not to use the TP.
We're working on verifying this with Peter, so it might be best not to waste a question on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri
3) Were male channelers across Randland able to feel Rand's use of the male CK when he destroyed it atop Dragonmount?
This one seems like a no-brainer?
Old 11-20-2009, 02:54 PM
Ancient

Kurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez

No brainer, yay or nay? He only held the Power without using it. Can that still be sensed from afar?
Old 11-20-2009, 03:12 PM
Hero of the Horn

WinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to WinespringBrother

Can dreamwalkers trapped in Finnland still access TAR/GOI when asleep?

Are there different chambers in Finnland where answers/gifts are given, or just one?
edit: meaning 1 chamber for the Aelfinn and 1 for the Eelfinn, or multiple for each.

Why didn't Perrin use TAR to locate the Shaido?

How many souls does Slayer have?

How did Sammael know that Rand had warded the Shadar Logoth Waygate?

Can Shadowspawn travel by Portal Stone or Redstone ter'angreal?

Was Tuon tested for damane?

Can you sense someone's ability to channel in TAR if they are only there in the spirit?

I have more at home

"Oh, y'all [Theorylanders] are awesome with awesome sauce, but you ask a lot of tricky questions. I had to watch myself with you guys." - Maria

"I need to RAFO more things, I'm not being very Robert Jordan..." - Brandon

Last edited by WinespringBrother; 11-20-2009 at 03:15 PM.
Old 11-20-2009, 03:18 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtz
No brainer, yay or nay? He only held the Power without using it. Can that still be sensed from afar?
I don't see why it wouldn't be. But if that's the distinction, then ask.
Old 11-20-2009, 04:56 PM
Elder

Yuri33 is just really niceYuri33 is just really niceYuri33 is just really niceYuri33 is just really niceYuri33 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez
Considering we have no evidence of anyone showing up to kill him like at the Cleansing...no, this isn't a no-brainer.
Old 11-20-2009, 05:39 PM
Elder

Spasmodean is just really niceSpasmodean is just really niceSpasmodean is just really niceSpasmodean is just really nice

More to the point, what questions do we NOT want asked, wasting a valuable question slot
Old 11-20-2009, 06:09 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Considering we have no evidence of anyone showing up to kill him like at the Cleansing...no, this isn't a no-brainer.
It was made very clear that the whole thing only took a couple of minutes. The Cleansing lasted all damn day. Also, the Forsaken learned from their last attempt that there was nothing they could do, and they only reason any of them went is because they were ordered to in advance.
Old 11-20-2009, 06:41 PM
Elder

bowlwoman has a brilliant futurebowlwoman has a brilliant futurebowlwoman has a brilliant futurebowlwoman has a brilliant futurebowlwoman has a brilliant futurebowlwoman has a brilliant futurebowlwoman has a brilliant futurebowlwoman has a brilliant futurebowlwoman has a brilliant futurebowlwoman has a brilliant futurebowlwoman has a brilliant future

Quote:
2) Does the Healing of stilling by the same gender result in a proportional loss or a fixed loss of channeling strength? (an indirect way to get more info on the Cyndane issue without being RAFOed, hopefully)
On a similar note, can someone whose stilling was Healed by a member of the same sex (i.e. Siuan and Leanne) and are experiencing a loss of strength be re-stilled and then re-Healed by a member of the opposite sex and regain their original (pre-any-stilling) strength? Kinda like rebreaking a bone that healed incorrectly and resetting it.
Old 11-20-2009, 06:44 PM
Hero of the Horn

I think questions are closed now. Tam has left the building (and gone to the signing). He put all the questions on his phone so he wouldn't have to break out his computer.