art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (1): imichelinirandy,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - Non Wot Discussion Boards > Archived: Non WoT Related Discussion 09/09 - 9/10
User Name
Password

Old 11-28-2009, 08:18 PM
Elder

Bonzi77 is a jewel in the roughBonzi77 is a jewel in the roughBonzi77 is a jewel in the roughBonzi77 is a jewel in the rough
Default Recomend me a Fantasy Series

I just finished reading the first Runelords book (meh) and the last Codex Alera book (excellent) and I'm looking for something new to read.

Stuff I've read and liked:

Wheel of Time (duh)
Ice and Fire (Martin)
Memory Sorrow and Thorn (Williams)
Farseer (Hobb)
Codex Alera (Butcher)
Sword of Shadows (Jones)

Stuff I've read and haven't liked:

Malazan
Sword of Truth
Prince of Nothing

So outside of those things, what should I read next?
Old 11-28-2009, 08:37 PM
Hero of the Horn

jason wolfbrother has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to jason wolfbrother Send a message via MSN to jason wolfbrother Send a message via Yahoo to jason wolfbrother

Try this one Magic of Recluce by L.E. Modesitt, Jr.

and the others I was gonna recommend are already in your lists, both lists

Wash:"Things are about to get interesting"
Mal:"Define interesting..."
Wash:"Oh God! Oh God! We're all gonna die!?"

"If you are not living life on the edge, you are taking up too much space"
Old 11-28-2009, 08:43 PM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Since you haven't already, The Belgariad and Mallorean by David (& Leigh) Eddings (Plus sequals)

The Eleniad and Tamuli trilogies by Eddings are also a must read.

Anything by Eddings is a good read, even though they are all somewhat formulaic.

Dennis L. McKiernan is another prolific fantasy author that is worth seeking out.

Robert A. Heinlein wrote some good fantasies as well as a great deal of Science Fiction. Notably Glory Road and JOB: A Comedy of Errors.

(Now if I could just figure out which questions they go to. )

I met you in a past life. You were wrong then, too.
Old 11-28-2009, 08:59 PM
Ancient

Kurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud of

Stop reading fantasy, it's 95% shit.
Old 11-28-2009, 09:14 PM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason wolfbrother View Post
Try this one Magic of Recluce by L.E. Modesitt, Jr.

Good suggestion.

Have you checked out his newest series:

http://www.lemodesittjr.com/imager_p...io/imager.html

(Now if I could just figure out which questions they go to. )

I met you in a past life. You were wrong then, too.
Old 11-28-2009, 09:30 PM
Elder

Bonzi77 is a jewel in the roughBonzi77 is a jewel in the roughBonzi77 is a jewel in the roughBonzi77 is a jewel in the rough

I've also read and enjoyed all of Sanderson's stuff and the one book Rothfuss has out so far. I'm sure there's a couple of others I forgot

Quote:

Out of curiosity, what's on my bad list that you disagree with?
Old 11-28-2009, 10:26 PM
Hero of the Horn

Belazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Belazamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzi77 View Post
So outside of those things, what should I read next?
PRATCHETT PRATCHETT PRATCHETT.

And China Miéville.

No one cares, no one sympathizes
You just stand around and play synthesizers
Old 11-28-2009, 11:52 PM
Inbred, Ugly, and Drunk on Corn Liquor

Sei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond repute

Aside from those already mentioned,

The Dark Glory Wars. It's the prelude to the dragoncrown war cycle. It's one of my favs.

www.buckeyestation.com look at it, love it, share it with your friends!
Old 11-29-2009, 12:04 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzi77 View Post
Out of curiosity, what's on my bad list that you disagree with?
JWB is a Malazan fan. Lots of us here are. However, I think most of us can understand why someone wouldn't like it.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:45 AM
Hero of the Horn

Isabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Isabel

I think you should try:

Stephen Brust - Vlad Taltos series Very good, although not finished yet.
Robin Hobb - also read her other series.
Charles Stross: he has sci fi and fantasy. I liked his sci fi better, but his fantasy is good too.
Friedman: also has a fantasy series.
Tad Williams: Try Otherland it's really good or the stand alone 'war of the flowers'. You haven't mentioned them yet.

sci fi:
-Reynolds: start with Revelation Space
-Zindell : neverness
-John Scalzi
-Kim Stanley Robinson
'Rand al'Thor, Nynaeve shrieked, that is the most outrageous thing I ever heard out of your mouth. The very idea of telling three women you love them! You are worse than a lecher. You apologize right now!'

Isabel sedai of the Green Ajah, Amyrlin of the Official Nynaeve Fanclub, first sister to Gennie Sedai of the Green Ajah, bonded to Camel, Wolf Gaidin, Jachthond and ghostrider.

Last edited by Isabel; 11-29-2009 at 12:48 AM.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:11 AM
Ancient

Zanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant future

I second the eddingses
Also try Peter David... Sir Apropos of Nothing... you cant go wrong with it.
the only Z

fairy dust for sale 8.99 per vial

"YES!" - Cary Sedai

"Perhaps science,... [is] simply magic with delusions of lack of grandeur." -Peter David, Restoration

The Greatest Thread
Old 11-29-2009, 01:29 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

I also <3 Eddings.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:46 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Anything by Guy Gavriel Kay...

most of the rest has already been mentioned.

Oh, and Sword of Truth isn't Fantasy, its jacka$$ author said so himself...in between plagiarizing other better authors and crapping out some Ayn Rand.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 11-29-2009, 01:46 AM
Hero of the Horn

Send a message via AIM to jason wolfbrother Send a message via MSN to jason wolfbrother Send a message via Yahoo to jason wolfbrother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Harold View Post
Good suggestion.

Have you checked out his newest series:

http://www.lemodesittjr.com/imager_p...io/imager.html

Yes just finished the 2nd one in the series and so far it is on par with Recluce as to my enjoyment. Very well written as most of Modesitt's books are

Old 11-29-2009, 01:48 AM
Hero of the Horn

JSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to JSUCamel Send a message via MSN to JSUCamel Send a message via Yahoo to JSUCamel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanguini View Post
I second the eddingses
Also try Peter David... Sir Apropos of Nothing... you cant go wrong with it.
I found Eddings to be unbelievably boring. I mean, it wasn't bad, but it wasn't... someone said it earlier.. it was very formulaic. There were no surprises. It's not bad, but I didn't enjoy it enough to want to read anything else by Eddings.

Peter David's Sir Apropos of Nothing is one of the funniest series I've ever read, and the first one is easily in my top 10 favorite fantasy novels.

I'd also second "War of the Flowers" by Tad Williams. Just great world building there, and a really vivid imagination.

In terms of things I haven't seen mentioned here in awhile, I'd like to suggest Sara Douglass's Darkglass Mountain series and The Troy Game series.

"Nice try, Jack!" - Robert Jordan (to Camel)
"Camel must be the coolest TLer ever, by now." -GLotD

A grilled cheese eaten more than five minutes later is just no good. -Crispin

Old 11-29-2009, 01:49 AM
Hero of the Horn

JSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to JSUCamel Send a message via MSN to JSUCamel Send a message via Yahoo to JSUCamel

Quote:
Yes just finished the 2nd one in the series and so far it is on par with Recluce as to my enjoyment. Very well written as most of Modesitt's books are
I can't think of a single Modesitt book I haven't enjoyed. They're all pretty good, even if the characters and thought processes are similar.

"Nice try, Jack!" - Robert Jordan (to Camel)
"Camel must be the coolest TLer ever, by now." -GLotD

A grilled cheese eaten more than five minutes later is just no good. -Crispin

Old 11-29-2009, 01:52 AM
Hero of the Horn

As Terez pointed out I thoroughly enjoyed the Malazan books. I was also going to recommend the Codex of Alera but then reread your post and saw it was already mentioned in the first list .

I also second the Vlad Taltos books by Steven Brust. Also his other series that takes place before them "The Phoenix Guards" "Five Hundred Years After" "The Paths of the Dead" "The Lord of Castle Black" and "Sethra Lavode".

I like Robin Hobb's Farseer trilogy, the LiveShip Traders trilogy, and the Fool trilogy.

However, I was not impressed with her next foray into fantasy. so much so that I forget the title but I would be hesitant to recommend it.

edit: the Soldier Son Trilogy. I finished the 1st and was severely disappointed. haven't touched, and will not, the 2nd or 3rd.

Old 11-29-2009, 02:00 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSUCamel View Post
I can't think of a single Modesitt book I haven't enjoyed. They're all pretty good, even if the characters and thought processes are similar.
I didn't dislike, but didn't like enough to read more, his Spellsong Sorceress series. I like his writing well enough but maybe I'm just not a big enough music fan to enjoy the magic in that series.

same with the Ghosts of Columbia books. I read the first one and while I can't complain about the writing, the actual story itself didn't catch my interest.

The difference to me is that with each new book he writes I will guaranteed pick it up and read it. If I don't like it as much as his others no harm and no dislike of Modesitt. The rest of his books are too well written and well thought out for me to hold a grudge

If you had to pick one which of his book(s)/book series' is your favorite Camel?

Old 11-29-2009, 02:04 AM
Mistress of Novices

Zaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Zaela Sedai Send a message via MSN to Zaela Sedai Send a message via Yahoo to Zaela Sedai Send a message via Skype™ to Zaela Sedai

Make sure you read Sandersons books.

Mistborn is the Trilogy

Elantris and Warbreaker

The One, the Original, the ONLY Z
Beware of impostors

In Brandon We Trust
This TL Siren is bonded to Pops, XX, DaiShan and DeiwosTheSkyGod. Allied with Seeker and Guarded by Hopper
General of the Western Border, Valkyrie of the Autumn Storm, Destined Fury
Old 11-29-2009, 02:21 AM
Hero of the Horn

Nazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond repute

The problem with Eddings is that everything is either very predictable or doesn't make any sense what so ever. There is not a drop of dramatic skill in there. Not an ounce of style.

I wonder why LotR wasn't on your list. Or Harry Potter.

But one author I must recomend is Pratchett. If you don't want to go for Discworld directly the Bromeliad trilogy (Truckers, Diggers and Wings) is a good place to start.

With the Discworld there are a few places you can start. You don't have to read them in order so long as you read the books of each arc in order. Colour of Magic is a natural place to start and it has to be among the first, but you might want to try Moving Pictures or Pyramids first as the style of the first book isn't quite the same as the rest of the series.
Lord Captain Commander of Singing Chipmunks
Master of Nazgul Kitchen

Tags
books