art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Book 12: The Gathering Storm
User Name
Password

Old 12-26-2009, 09:36 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez
Default From Twitter

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/Mi...7882622&ref=mf

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWS
At my mother's house in Idaho Falls working on #TofM. Scene is going well, but more and more, I feel this book will take more time.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/Mi...2486948&ref=mf

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWS
Two things are slowing me. First, I feel #TofM will need to be longer than TGS. Second, a major plotline needs an overhaul.
Old 12-27-2009, 12:31 AM
Elder

kivo is a name known to allkivo is a name known to allkivo is a name known to allkivo is a name known to allkivo is a name known to allkivo is a name known to allkivo is a name known to allkivo is a name known to allkivo is a name known to all

I hope he takes as long as he needs to make it as good as tGS, which in my opinion is one of the best books in the entire series.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:16 AM
Elder

Yuri33 is just really niceYuri33 is just really niceYuri33 is just really niceYuri33 is just really niceYuri33 is just really nice

At least we have one guarantee:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BS
Stormleader Report #10

Q: So…Memory of Light was supposed to be book 12 and the last book…will you split them up again?

[Brandon, to the wide smiles of all who heard, said definitively]
BS: Fourteen is it!
Old 12-27-2009, 04:04 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Well, RJ frequently said "at least three more books".
Looks like BS is starting to come around to upholding that tradition.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:22 PM
Ancient

Tercel will become famous soon enoughTercel will become famous soon enough

On the one hand, I love the WoT series, and so if BS decides to split Towers of Midnight up into two books, thereby giving us even more WoT books, that would be great.

On the other hand, it creates a danger of getting another "Crossroads of Twilight" type book where nothing happens in the book, and minor plots muck round for ages and nothing is resolved.

If the book does need to be split, I hope BS does what he did in tGS: Chooses a couple of plotlines to focus on and majorly advances them in each of the split books. Because the mistake RJ made in CoT was to try to advance all the plotlines just a little bit... and that was a big fail.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:49 PM
Hero of the Horn

Crispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe I should start reading GRRM. I was waiting until he finished the series, but geez...I'll be 34 next month and I'd like to finish both this and WoT someday.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:20 PM
Elder

Daekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispin's Crispian View Post
Maybe I should start reading GRRM. I was waiting until he finished the series, but geez...I'll be 34 next month and I'd like to finish both this and WoT someday.
I've had A Game Of Thrones on my "to do" list for about 4 years....My wife has read them and loves them but I always seem to put it off...the book is actually sitting beside my bed but something else always gets my attention.

Anyone know if they're worth it?

He just got carried away a bit this time, probably as a result of his marriage-gonzothegreat

Son of Nazbaque, Lord of Fire
Old 01-04-2010, 05:32 PM
Elder

Ieyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekyras View Post
I've had A Game Of Thrones on my "to do" list for about 4 years....My wife has read them and loves them but I always seem to put it off...the book is actually sitting beside my bed but something else always gets my attention.

This is, of course, subjective, but I enjoyed the beginning of the series... but it peters out and weakens... while I have decided it is isn't big pile of garbage as Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series... almost... but nothing can be as large and steamingly rancid as Terry Goodkind.

so no, I do not think it is worth it.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:15 PM
Elder

Bonzi77 is a jewel in the roughBonzi77 is a jewel in the roughBonzi77 is a jewel in the roughBonzi77 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ieyasu View Post
This is, of course, subjective, but I enjoyed the beginning of the series... but it peters out and weakens... while I have decided it is isn't big pile of garbage as Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series... almost... but nothing can be as large and steamingly rancid as Terry Goodkind.

I disagree. The last book is not as good as the first three, but the first three are as good as anything I"ve ever read, and the third is still what I would call "good". The problem is that GRRM seems completely unmotivated to finish the latest book. It was rumored to be close to done in late 2006 and now there's still no end in site. And he's been going 5 years between volumes anyway, so you're looking at another 10-15 years for the series to end.

But it's my second favorite fantasy series, and it's close.

EDIT: I do agree that Terry Goodkind is unfiltered crap.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:34 PM
Youngling

creepybob has a spectacular aura aboutcreepybob has a spectacular aura aboutcreepybob has a spectacular aura about

Quote:

All I can say is this: I HATE George R. R. Martin.

Because the books are brutal, tragic, the people I like die and suffer and fail and fall. But the biggest reason I hate that man is: In spite of all this horror, I'm mesmerized. I can't stop reading this doom, gloom, death, and destruction, I must have more.

GRRM will turn you into a masochist, and there's nothing you can do to prevent it.

edit: Honestly, you will read GRRM eventually because he took mainstream, popular fantasy away from the epic struggle or the polished wish fulfillment common over the last decade, and brought it back down to earth. GRRM says that magic, if real, won't save you, won't change your life for the better, won't prevent war or cure disease, and, most importantly, won't change human nature.

RJ's work is pretty optomistic, and his tragic story arcs are rare. There's a hope throughout the series that things'll work out in the end. Martin doesn't even let you keep that hope alive. At least he didn't for me.

Pirate > Ninja

Last edited by creepybob; 01-04-2010 at 06:43 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:55 PM
Ancient

Hugh the Hand is a glorious beacon of lightHugh the Hand is a glorious beacon of lightHugh the Hand is a glorious beacon of lightHugh the Hand is a glorious beacon of lightHugh the Hand is a glorious beacon of lightHugh the Hand is a glorious beacon of lightHugh the Hand is a glorious beacon of light
Default Speaking of Which

Who has some good suggestions for other series? Obviously I loved WoT
also fan of Death Gate Cycle, half the eddings books, since the other half is the same, the guardian of the flame series.

Suggestions?

Obviously this might be the wrong spot for this, but since the topic came up.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:15 PM
Youngling

Calharn is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd say mistborn series is great.

I'm trying the Malazan book of the fallen series now. Bit slow through the first part of book 1 though haha. I just went on amazon to try and find new books to buy time for BS to finish the next book.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:38 PM
Elder

Daekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh the Hand View Post
also fan of Death Gate Cycle, half the eddings books, since the other half is the same, the guardian of the flame series.

Suggestions?

I highly recommend Memory, Sorrow and Thorn by Tad Williams. An excellent series and the first book (the dragonbone chair) is one of my favourites.

Malazan is also very good.

He just got carried away a bit this time, probably as a result of his marriage-gonzothegreat

Son of Nazbaque, Lord of Fire
Old 01-05-2010, 01:14 AM
Youngling

dukescott is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ieyasu View Post

GRRM series is excellent but it is extremely annoying that he isn't moving it along.

TG is total crap.

There is an excellent series called Chung Kuo by David Wingrove. Very difficult to get your hands on. It is SciFi.

I also enjoy LE Modestt. Both the Corean series and the Recluce books.

And there is always Ringworld. Love the Larry Nivan.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:29 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispin's Crispian View Post
Stop being a drama queen. If they decide to split it one more book (which I doubt - they probably should, but they probably won't), we'll still get the conclusion of WoT in 3 more years. I agree with Tercel - more books=better. I doubt there will be another Crossroads-type book even if they split it further.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:57 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

They are absolutely brilliant and awesome books...however, GRRM will likely never finish the series so its somethign to be very wary about starting. I remember reading Game of Thrones when it first came out (it had a great endorsement from RJ on the back cover) and I thought it was wonderful.

They're very dark though...nothing like WoT.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 01-05-2010, 07:58 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

I really hope he doesn't split the book. I'd be okay with a larger than normal ToM (say as big as FoH or tSR). I dont want another 3 books.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 01-05-2010, 08:14 AM
Elder

Bonzi77 is a jewel in the roughBonzi77 is a jewel in the roughBonzi77 is a jewel in the roughBonzi77 is a jewel in the rough

I don't think he was hinting at splitting the book. I think he was just bracing us for the possibility that it might not be out by November. tGS was long, but it wasn't impossibly long. ToM could be 75,000-100,000 words longer and still fit in one volume. It would be huge, but it would fit.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:30 AM
Hero of the Horn

WinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to WinespringBrother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh the Hand View Post

Suggestions?

I just read Banewreaker by Jacqueline Carey, which was pretty good (pt 1 of a 2 part series).

"Oh, y'all [Theorylanders] are awesome with awesome sauce, but you ask a lot of tricky questions. I had to watch myself with you guys." - Maria

"I need to RAFO more things, I'm not being very Robert Jordan..." - Brandon
Old 01-05-2010, 08:48 AM
Elder

One Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to all

More books would most likely piss me off. But I agree that he is probably hinting more at the book not being released on time than splitting them again.

Tags
bws quotes, towers of midnight