art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Conventions > JordanCon 2010
User Name
Password

Old 04-26-2010, 12:37 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez
Default Trivia: Theoryland wipes the floor with the competition

We had to split into groups of four for the team trivia today, so we ended up having three Theoryland teams, with a few spectators left over. There were three other non-Theoryland teams.

All three of our teams pulled ahead of the other three teams in the very first round, and we stayed ahead - and tied! - throughout the entire competition. All four rounds (three questions each), we were tied. For the final Jeopardy-like round, all three of our teams wagered everything. All three teams answered correctly.

For the tie-breaker, she asked us what the word count was for The Eye of the World, and gave the win to the team that got the closest. The right answer was 305,000, and we all guessed between 315,000 and 340,000 IIRC, and Frenzy's team was the closest (I think it was Frenzy, Ishara, SBX, and Hopper), so they won.

Afterward I was talking to Frenzy and WSB and apparently they were the unofficial team captains like I was (I had Tam and Marie and Cary, and WSB had Eclipse and Zan and....? I forget the 4th on his team...they were sitting by all the spectators so I dunno who was participating and who wasn't), and we reminisced about the essays we wrote on our little scorecards. Maria told us that the girl who ran the trivia was very impressed with us.

And this was after we wiped the floor on the individual trivia bee yesterday. I got first place, Cary got third, Frenzy came in 4th, and I think Ishara and Tam were not far behind. We rocked. JordanCon will never forget us.

The girl who got 2nd place in the trivia bee (anyone know her name? I'd like to find her) was really good. She got several questions that I didn't know, today and yesterday. Her team didn't do so well, though.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:58 AM
Hero of the Horn

ShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond repute

Go Sens Go! Wait, that's over for this year. Oh, yeah, Go Theoryland Go!

Slight correction Terez, for the team trivia after two rounds there was a 5-way tie for first and one team was slightly behind. It was in the 3rd and 4th rounds that Theoryland left everyone else in the dust!

We rock!
Old 04-26-2010, 01:07 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

Yes we do rock. And you were in better shape than I expected you to be.

Also.

Questions we all missed:

What's the Old Tongue word for 'daisy'?

What color are the tiles outside the Mistress of Novices's study? (The aforementioned girl who was good got this one right...pretty sure we all missed it.)

Question we all guessed on and got right anyway: What stedding is closest to Mayene? (Actually, I think WSB said he put Tsofu....it was Shangtai....so I'm confused about how they made up for that to stay tied with the other two teams. I'm sure WSB can clarify.)

Questions we all got right:

What do Seanchan call Darkfriends? (Atha'an Shadar)

Who was Elyas's Aes Sedai? Bonus points for Ajah. (Rina Hafden, Green - they wouldn't give us bonus points for her last name, even thought it wasn't required.)

List all 13 Forsaken and tell which ones died in book 1.

Etc.

Final question:

Who avenged the original Band of the Red Hand, and how?
Old 04-26-2010, 01:11 AM
Hero of the Horn

ShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond repute

Better shape? Physically or Trivially? Oh, and you didn't buy me lunch!

Last edited by ShadowbaneX; 04-26-2010 at 01:15 AM.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:13 AM
Hero of the Horn

Trivially, duh! LOL, and we didn't eat lunch together! Yeah, I know...I could have covered you at the Mexican place. I actually thought about it while I was sitting there and was going to offer, but since you hadn't really spoken to me yet I was scared you were going to be a snob to me about it, lol. Emma was annoying me enough as it was. She should have taken a lesson from Camel.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:17 AM
Hero of the Horn

Snob? Me? Ok, I'm just going to leave all this alone.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:20 AM
Hero of the Horn

I wasn't trying to start a fight, lol (I'm in a pretty good mood actually). But you hadn't spoken to me at that point, at least so far as I can remember. I remember waving at you when I first saw you, and you just looked at me funny.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:42 AM
Hero of the Horn

I don't remember you waving, sorry. I must not have seen you. You could have always come and spoken to me. I know, crazy, but then I'm always one for looney theories and notions.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:48 AM
Hero of the Horn

Yeah, I could have, but why would I when you were giving me the evil eye? LOL. I was there to have a good time, or at least to try. You have been fairly consistently with the we-hate-Terez faction so I figured it wasn't worth the trouble. No offense, but you could have come and spoken to me as well.

Anyway, can we get back to solidarity now? I can't believe it only lasted like 2.4 seconds. Oh wait, yes I can...
Old 04-26-2010, 02:03 AM
Hero of the Horn

Frenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Frenzy Send a message via Yahoo to Frenzy

The fourth you can't remember was Cary. She must've been in stealth mode. Taking lessons from me, no doubt. i was sneaking up on everyone all weekend. Very strange.

Anyway, our team wrote down Stedding Shangtai for that question, Terez. We weren't 100% sure, because there could've been a throwaway stedding mentioned like once that we didn't remember. But we put down Shangtai anyway, and it was right. We knew Tsofu was closest to Cairhein.

We almost overthought the Queen Eldrene question too. We were totally convinced it was too easy, and that we were missing something. But we just said what the hell and put it down anyway.

We got the tiles question and the daisy question wrong. All 3 theoryland teams missed that one. We're consistent if nothing else.

The quiz was a lot of fun. i'm glad it wasn't just us playing. i'm also glad we all won.

"How the hell do you Godwin a thread with CUCUMBERS!!?" -- Tru

"I love cucumber prawn... " -- Ivhon

"Have to catch me first. Scared shitless always outruns mad as hell." -- Sinistrum

"Some days I'm happy Frenzy doesn't live next door." -- Tamyrlin

"So Frenzy is a scientist then?" -- Davian
"Well duh. An Evil scientist. " -- Khoram

Last edited by Frenzy; 04-26-2010 at 02:07 AM.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:16 AM
Hero of the Horn

Just because I argue with you doesn't mean I hate you Terez, and I wasn't giving you the Evil Eye, that was something that you saw or misinterpreted.

Anyway, yes, that is something else (especially since it was just a joke in the first place, I don't really care about the money, just using it as a start for some minor teasing, which, you know, I do, alot).

Anyway, mad applause to the one Theorylander that did get the Daisy question. Please join with me in giving Sei'Taer a round of applause!

YAY ST!!!

Old 04-26-2010, 02:40 AM
Hero of the Horn

You guys are gullible if you think he didn't look that up on his phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy
The fourth you can't remember was Cary. She must've been in stealth mode. Taking lessons from me, no doubt. i was sneaking up on everyone all weekend. Very strange.
Cary was on my team silly. I said that.

Quote:
Anyway, our team wrote down Stedding Shangtai for that question, Terez. We weren't 100% sure, because there could've been a throwaway stedding mentioned like once that we didn't remember. But we put down Shangtai anyway, and it was right. We knew Tsofu was closest to Cairhein.
Yeah, well I mixed them up at first. Marie fixed me, and then I remembered. We didn't think Shangtai was right but we put it anyway, and wagered 10 points on it (we'd already used the 5 on either daisy or the tiles).

Quote:
We almost overthought the Queen Eldrene question too. We were totally convinced it was too easy, and that we were missing something. But we just said what the hell and put it down anyway.
I never suspected we were overthinking it, partly because Moiraine used the word 'vengeance' when talking about what Eldrene did, and partly because of the way it was worded (indirectly). All we had to remember to connect the dots is that the original Band went down with Aemon, but I bet they were thinking that some people just don't know that. Shocking, I know, but I'm sure it's true. We just scare those people away at Theoryland so it's easy to forget that the multitudes exist.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:02 AM
Hero of the Horn

Frenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Frenzy Send a message via Yahoo to Frenzy

Then it was Leane. i guess i assumed Cary & Zan would be on the same team. Then i remembered Cary saying the trivia contest wouldn't be any fun if she didn't beat Zan.

i love newlyweds. They're so cute.

"How the hell do you Godwin a thread with CUCUMBERS!!?" -- Tru

"I love cucumber prawn... " -- Ivhon

"Have to catch me first. Scared shitless always outruns mad as hell." -- Sinistrum

"Some days I'm happy Frenzy doesn't live next door." -- Tamyrlin

"So Frenzy is a scientist then?" -- Davian
"Well duh. An Evil scientist. " -- Khoram
Old 04-26-2010, 08:50 AM
Elder

Leanne is a jewel in the roughLeanne is a jewel in the roughLeanne is a jewel in the rough

We also had Stedding Shangtai. It's funny, WSB did have the thought of where Daisy came from, but couldn't remember the actual word. We were laughing at WSB for all of the information he was giving to be absolutely complete, apparently it was the same for all TL teams. Well done! Also, we got half of the tile question correct, we tried for partial points, obviously we got shot down.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:21 PM
Youngling

heridfel has a spectacular aura aboutheridfel has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to heridfel

I'll get you next time Gadget! Seriously though congrats, I used to think my WotFu was untouchable until I met all my kindred souls at Jordancon At least my team didn't come last.

Last edited by heridfel; 04-27-2010 at 03:35 PM.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:26 PM
Hero of the Horn

JSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to JSUCamel Send a message via MSN to JSUCamel Send a message via Yahoo to JSUCamel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leanne View Post
We also had Stedding Shangtai. It's funny, WSB did have the thought of where Daisy came from, but couldn't remember the actual word. We were laughing at WSB for all of the information he was giving to be absolutely complete, apparently it was the same for all TL teams. Well done! Also, we got half of the tile question correct, we tried for partial points, obviously we got shot down.
I knew the Old Tongue quote, too, but I only mentioned that I knew it to Zan, and I didn't jump up and yell "WOO!" like Taer did. lol

I will admit that the fact that I knew the answer was sheer luck as I'd just re-read that chapter a few days prior to the trivia contest while researching something for the database.

"Nice try, Jack!" - Robert Jordan (to Camel)
"Camel must be the coolest TLer ever, by now." -GLotD

A grilled cheese eaten more than five minutes later is just no good. -Crispin

Old 04-27-2010, 03:43 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by heridfel View Post
I'll get you next time Gadget! Seriously though congrats, I used to think my WotFu was untouchable until I met all my kindred souls at Jordancon At least my team didn't come last.
pssh, you knew me before JordanCon.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:56 PM
Inbred, Ugly, and Drunk on Corn Liquor

Sei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSUCamel View Post
I knew the Old Tongue quote, too, but I only mentioned that I knew it to Zan, and I didn't jump up and yell "WOO!" like Taer did. lol

I will admit that the fact that I knew the answer was sheer luck as I'd just re-read that chapter a few days prior to the trivia contest while researching something for the database.
The funny thing is that i was thinking that was what Lan called his lover. I just looked it up and it's actually the name of one of Aviendha's horses. Oh well, I got it right one way or the other.

I did get a tshirt out of the deal (thanks SBX) and I think I might play next year.

www.buckeyestation.com look at it, love it, share it with your friends!
Old 04-27-2010, 05:00 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sei'taer View Post
The funny thing is that i was thinking that was what Lan called his lover. I just looked it up and it's actually the name of one of Aviendha's horses. Oh well, I got it right one way or the other.

I did get a tshirt out of the deal (thanks SBX) and I think I might play next year.
dammit! I knew it was the name of someone's horse, but still couldn't place it!

You're quite welcome for the shirt ST, but you definitely deserve it for knowing that answer.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:02 PM
Inbred, Ugly, and Drunk on Corn Liquor

Sei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowbaneX View Post
dammit! I knew it was the name of someone's horse, but still couldn't place it!

You're quite welcome for the shirt ST, but you definitely deserve it for knowing that answer.
LOL...I'm still trying to figure out how I knew it. The look on WSB's face was hilarious. Sometimes really stupid shit sticks in my head.

www.buckeyestation.com look at it, love it, share it with your friends!