art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Conventions > JordanCon 2010
User Name
Password

Old 04-26-2010, 06:34 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez
Default Q&A

I'm working on getting audio from Tam, and maybe I can get some video later, but for now, here's a basic synopsis of questions that were asked today (all asked to Harriet, Alan, and Maria):

When I was in line, I asked Brandon and Harriet (mostly Harriet, since she was signing my books) if the Andoran royal line is descended from Rand's Aiel line (see this post). I got a lovely smile from Harriet that told me she was pleased that someone had finally figured that out, and she said that she believes I am exactly right about that. She was a little sketchy on the details, though, and so was Brandon, so Brandon said it was essentially a MAFO. So I talked to Maria after that session, and she was taking a break so I didn't want to ask her about it just then, so I asked her if I could message her about it, and the other MAFO we got today, and she said yes, so I will hopefully be hearing more about that soon. Brandon asked me not to put that one in the interview database until I hear from Maria about it.

From the Q&A with Harriet and Alan (this is all really sketchy, since I was typing as it went, and Harriet talks a lot so she's hard to keep up with):

Q: RJ has said that there is a touch of you in every female character. Which one do you sympathize with the most, or which do you think reflects you the most?
H: The one that comes most quickly to mind is Moghedien, but I think in truth it would be Moiraine.

Q: You and Alan have worked on WoT for many years. Beyond that are there any other projects that you are looking at editing beyond the WoT?
H: The encyclopedia is sort of beyond the WoT, sort of a 'fifth wheel' (laughter), and I’ll definitely be looking forward to that. Meanwhile there’s a project with a fellow Charlestonian that I’m eager to get off the ground. (more from audio)
Alan: We have a session specifically on the encyclopedia tomorrow. After WoT I think I look forward to working more in my garden and to continuing my career as a professional cabaret singer.

Q: Are we going to get to see the other two prequels that RJ had planned on writing?
H: We’re finishing the WoT first. And…um….that’s it. (I don't think she was saying that there would not be any prequels...just that this is all she had to say on the subject currently.)

Q: Is it possible to learn weaves from text, or does it have to be demonstrated? I asked Maria, but she gave me a vague answer.
H: I can be very vague when I want to be, and this is such a moment. (RAFO card)

Q: Are you going to be doing The Travels of Jain Farstrider?
H: No, but maybe The Killers of the Black Veil. I've always wanted to read that one. (laughter) That was a joke.

Seeker: Can you name one thing that someone can do with the True Power that cannot be accomplished with the One Power?
H: No.
Alan: You can get those cool spotted eyeballs.

Q: What else have you edited besides WoT and Ender’s Game?
H: Brandon has an editor on The Way of Kings. I read it for him, and it was a great pleasure. …… (more – audio)

Q: How do you feel about the idea of a movie – do you think they can do the series justice?
H: I think they can. It will be interesting to see what happens. It’s a huge task to make a WoT movie work…..(audio)
Alan: (audio)

Linda: Who thought up the mindtrap? Any circumstances you can divulge….
H: I don’t remember.
Brandon: MAFO. (Maria will be getting back to me on this one too.)

Terez: Was Verin at the Darkfriend Social? (This question was on Linda's list.)
H: That was Bela.
Terez: AGGGGGH.

Q: When RJ first told you about the OP, how did you feel about it?
H: Well, it was on the page. So I felt pretty much the same as you guys did.... (more on audio)

(I didn't catch who asked most of these questions, so if you want to claim a question, let me know and I'll credit you personally in the interview database.)

Questions we asked Maria at the Towers of Midnight discussion:

Tam: Is the Horn an object of the Power?
Maria: RAFO, but I will tell you something about the Horn. People always ask why the inscription on the Horn is in the Old Tongue, if it’s so old. It was added in the Age of Legends.

Seeker: If Ishamael took the Horn to the Pit of Doom, and the Dark One destroyed it, what would happen?
Maria: I have no idea.

Q: Which plot lines will be important in Towers of Midnight?
Maria: Pretty much any major character that was not in The Gathering Storm will be seen in Towers of Midnight.

Q: How do the ‘Finns store memories? Obviously they don’t just have flash cards laying around.
M: RAFO

Q: Will there be any use of Portal Stones in the next two books?

Q: Are there any servants of the Dark One among the ‘Finns?

Questions we asked Maria at the Sunday panels:

Ishara: Did Mierin drill the Bore out of curiosity, or out of some malevolent desire?
Maria: Mierin was kind of greedy. I don’t think it was a malevolent intent, but it wasn’t all pure and nice.
Ishara: Did her drilling of the Bore remove her choice [about becoming a Darkfriend] in any way?
Maria: I don’t know.

Amanda: Are we going to see anything about how the Darkfriends or Forsaken take their Oaths?
Maria: RAFO

Q: Is there any real difference between Forsaken, Dreadlords, Black Ajah, etc.?
Maria: I don’t think they’re all precisely the same thing.

WSB: How in the world did Lanfear survive that gigantic explosion that was depicted in the ter’angreal?
Maria: [I don't remember what she said! WSB? I think Tam was talking to me about something, but I seem to remember that question getting fielded to the floor.]

Tam: Is Lanfear the only surviving person that is aware of how the Bore was created?
Maria: I don’t know. Mesaana or Demandred might know.

Terez: It should be noted that when the panel moderator (Jakob from tv.net) asked who wanted to see the Heroes of the Horn again before the end, Maria raised her hand high. It's pretty well established that the Horn will be used again, but this is just further confirmation.

Last edited by Tamyrlin; 04-26-2010 at 07:08 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:25 PM
Hero of the Horn

WinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to WinespringBrother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
When I was in line, I asked Brandon and Harriet (mostly Harriet, since she was signing my books) if the Andoran royal line is descended from Rand's Aiel line (see this post). I got a lovely smile from Harriet that told me she was pleased that someone had finally figured that out, and she said that she believes I am exactly right about that. She was a little sketchy on the details, though, and so was Brandon, so Brandon said it was essentially a MAFO. So I talked to Maria after that session, and she was taking a break so I didn't want to ask her about it just then, so I asked her if I could message her about it, and the other MAFO we got today, and she said yes, so I will hopefully be hearing more about that soon. Brandon asked me not to put that one in the interview database until I hear from Maria about it.
Congrats!
Quote:
Q: How do the ‘Finns store memories? Obviously they don’t just have flash cards laying around.
I actually said "flash drives"

Quote:
WSB: How in the world did Lanfear survive that gigantic explosion that was depicted in the ter’angreal?
Maria: [I don't remember what she said! WSB? I think Tam was talking to me about something, but I seem to remember that question getting fielded to the floor.]
Maria didn't even say RAFO. That was put out for discussion, which I am fine with. Some thought she wasn't physically there, or used the shield weave that Rand used in POD.

I was also RAFO'd on whether Noal has previously been inside the Tower of Ghenjei.

"Oh, y'all [Theorylanders] are awesome with awesome sauce, but you ask a lot of tricky questions. I had to watch myself with you guys." - Maria

"I need to RAFO more things, I'm not being very Robert Jordan..." - Brandon
Old 04-26-2010, 09:33 PM
Inbred, Ugly, and Drunk on Corn Liquor

Sei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinespringBrother View Post
I was also RAFO'd on whether Noal has previously been inside the Tower of Ghenjei.
Did you ask him that when he was talking to us outside? Or was that Eclipse? I can't remember now who it was.

I kept trying to get Al to ask Harriet some stuff, but since she didn't know who Harriet was she was afraid to ask her anything.

www.buckeyestation.com look at it, love it, share it with your friends!
Old 04-27-2010, 08:27 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I actually said "flash drives"
Good, I'll fix it. Was going to fix it anyway when I realized the question made no sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSB
Cool, I'll add that.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:41 AM
Hero of the Horn

WinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sei'taer View Post
Did you ask him that when he was talking to us outside? Or was that Eclipse? I can't remember now who it was.

I kept trying to get Al to ask Harriet some stuff, but since she didn't know who Harriet was she was afraid to ask her anything.
I asked that question of Maria during one of the panels (forget which one). But it was a guaranteed RAFO so I was also seeing what everyone thought of it as a theory (that he asked the Finns to wipe away his painful memories, thus causing his amnesia, and that the compulsion from Ishamael was not the only cause of his memory loss).

"Oh, y'all [Theorylanders] are awesome with awesome sauce, but you ask a lot of tricky questions. I had to watch myself with you guys." - Maria

Old 04-27-2010, 09:10 AM
Hero of the Horn

Ishara has disabled reputation
Send a message via MSN to Ishara

I said this at the time, but I think that's a really cool idea!

Rand: You are an insensitive bastard!!!
Mat: And you ruined another hat!

It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by lightening. -- Calvin

"Gee, I wish I could do magic! Maybe I'll try!" --SDog

Official Vixen of Theoryland and Theoryland Siren

Grain Goddess, the Rood Inverse, the Mad Glomper
Old 04-27-2010, 09:32 AM
Hero of the Horn

JSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to JSUCamel Send a message via MSN to JSUCamel Send a message via Yahoo to JSUCamel

Quote:
I asked that question of Maria during one of the panels (forget which one). But it was a guaranteed RAFO so I was also seeing what everyone thought of it as a theory (that he asked the Finns to wipe away his painful memories, thus causing his amnesia, and that the compulsion from Ishamael was not the only cause of his memory loss).
That's a great one. I'd never considered that. Excellent!

"Nice try, Jack!" - Robert Jordan (to Camel)
"Camel must be the coolest TLer ever, by now." -GLotD

A grilled cheese eaten more than five minutes later is just no good. -Crispin

Old 04-27-2010, 09:54 AM
Hero of the Horn

Well, he said that he had no idea where the Tower was - he thought it was on the Shadow Coast somewhere. His own words: "Something Jain bloody Farstrider never did." Also, I got the impression when Mat entered via the Tear doorway that the 'Finns literally had not seen anyone enter since Tear took the doorway from Mayene 500 years before. The Rhuidean doorway probably hadn't been entered since the Age of Legends, and the Tower of Ghenjei probably hasn't been entered since around the time of Mat's latest memories (Hawkwing). No one even remembers how to get in; the only reason Olver knows is because he talked to Birgitte. How would Farstrider have known how to get in?
Old 04-27-2010, 09:57 AM
Hero of the Horn

Crispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Good, I'll fix it. Was going to fix it anyway when I realized the question made no sense.
It makes sense in a way. It is quite amusing to imagine the Ael'finn quizzing each other with flash cards.

"OK, this one you have to know!"
"Oh...oh...crap it's that red-haired one!"
Old 04-27-2010, 10:14 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well, he said that he had no idea where the Tower was - he thought it was on the Shadow Coast somewhere. His own words: "Something Jain bloody Farstrider never did." Also, I got the impression when Mat entered via the Tear doorway that the 'Finns literally had not seen anyone enter since Tear took the doorway from Mayene 500 years before. The Rhuidean doorway probably hadn't been entered since the Age of Legends, and the Tower of Ghenjei probably hasn't been entered since around the time of Mat's latest memories (Hawkwing). No one even remembers how to get in; the only reason Olver knows is because he talked to Birgitte. How would Farstrider have known how to get in?
Ishy told him.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 04-27-2010, 10:15 AM
Hero of the Horn

Seems unlikely. If Ishamael Compelled him, he'd hardly want to give Farstrider an opportunity to counteract it in any way.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:02 AM
Hero of the Horn

Also, Maria just told me that she will be getting back to me in a few days on the MAFO questions. She has a bunch of work to catch up on at the moment.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:08 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Seems unlikely. If Ishamael Compelled him, he'd hardly want to give Farstrider an opportunity to counteract it in any way.
I wasn't being serious.

I dont think he's been there before personally.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 04-27-2010, 11:38 AM

Sei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
I wasn't being serious.
Seriously?

We also tried to pin them down on some of the prequels. Someone asked about it in one of the forums when brandon was going to be doing a reading from one of his books (he ended up doing readings from 2). I can't remember what the askeer wanted to see a prequel to, but I am hoping they might do some. I would love to see a Manetheren prequel.

ETA: just remembered that they asked about a Jain Farstrider prequel...huh, I am on topic, yay me!

Old 04-27-2010, 11:43 AM
Hero of the Horn

Well, if they do WoT prequels, it will be the two that RJ already had planned - they're very reluctant to do even that much - and those prequels were supposed to be about Tam and Moiraine.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:44 AM
Hero of the Horn

Ishara has disabled reputation
Send a message via MSN to Ishara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
Ishy told him.
I did not!

And yeah, it was the Codex panel, and one of the suggestions was that we get The Travels of Jain Farstrider. Harriet said it was more liekly that we get Killers of the Black Veil, which she said was written by Farstrider.

That twigged me to How Susa Tamed Jain Farstrider and I asked for a storybook with all the fables and stories that Thom gives us bits and pieces of.

Rand: You are an insensitive bastard!!!
Mat: And you ruined another hat!

It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by lightening. -- Calvin

"Gee, I wish I could do magic! Maybe I'll try!" --SDog

Official Vixen of Theoryland and Theoryland Siren

Grain Goddess, the Rood Inverse, the Mad Glomper
Old 04-27-2010, 12:04 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishara View Post
And yeah, it was the Codex panel, and one of the suggestions was that we get The Travels of Jain Farstrider. Harriet said it was more liekly that we get Killers of the Black Veil, which she said was written by Farstrider.
It was not, but of course I wasn't about to correct her during the panel:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ
TITLE - The Shadow Rising
CHAPTER: 22 - Out of the Stone

"Some six hundred or so years ago," he told her, "a peddler tried to get a look at Rhuidean." Another time it would have been a pleasure to be able to lecture her for a change. Not today. There was too much he did not know. "This fellow apparently didn't see anything of it; he claimed to have seen a golden city up in the clouds, drifting over the mountains."

"There are no cities in the Waste," Lan said, "in the clouds or on the ground. I've fought the Aiel. They have no cities."

Egwene nodded. "Aviendha told me she had never seen a city until she left the Waste."

"Maybe so," Rand said. "But the peddler also saw something sticking out of the side of one of those mountains. A Portal Stone. He described it perfectly. There isn't anything else like a Portal Stone. When I described one to the chief librarian in the Stone..." Without naming what he was after, he did not add. "...he recognized it, even if he didn't know what it was, enough to show me four on an old map of Tear "

"Four?" Moiraine sounded startled. "All in Tear? Portal Stones are not so common as that."

"Four," Rand said definitely. The bony old librarian had been certain, even digging out a tattered yellowed manuscript telling of efforts to move the "unknown artifacts of an earlier Age" to the Great Holding. Every attempt had failed, and the Tairens had finally given up. That was confirmation to Rand; Portal Stones resisted being moved. "One lies not an hour's ride from where we are," he continued. "The Aiel allowed the peddler to leave, since he was a peddler. With one of his mules and as much water as he could carry on his back. Somehow he made it as far as a stedding in the Spine of the World, where he met a man named Soran Milo, who was writing a book called The Killers of the Black Veil. The librarian brought me a battered copy when I asked for books on the Aiel. Milo apparently based it all on Aiel who came to trade at the stedding, and he got almost everything wrong anyway, according to Rhuarc, but a Portal Stone can't be anything but a Portal Stone." He had examined other maps and manuscripts, dozens of them, supposedly studying Tear and its history, learning the land; no one could have had a clue what he intended before a few minutes ago.
Also, Harriet said she was joking. And I'm sure that someone will now come up with a theory that Farstrider is 600 years old.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:00 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
And I'm sure that someone will now come up with a theory that Farstrider is 600 years old.
I think someone already theorized that he can channel, so being hundreds of years old could go along with that.

Old 04-27-2010, 03:23 PM
Hero of the Horn

Birgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Birgitte Send a message via MSN to Birgitte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sei'taer View Post
Seriously?

We also tried to pin them down on some of the prequels. Someone asked about it in one of the forums when brandon was going to be doing a reading from one of his books (he ended up doing readings from 2). I can't remember what the askeer wanted to see a prequel to, but I am hoping they might do some. I would love to see a Manetheren prequel.

ETA: just remembered that they asked about a Jain Farstrider prequel...huh, I am on topic, yay me!
Actually, he just read two different parts of A Way of Kings, which I'm personally kinda psyched to read. It sounds neat.

And on topic? Bah! Bah, I say!

General of the Northern Border, Hero of Krieros Valley, the Coffinnail
Queen of the TCA

"Sometimes I sit around... watching chat... and thinking...sh*t... I created this madness." -- Lord of the Board
Old 04-27-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birgitte View Post
Actually, he just read two different parts of A Way of Kings, which I'm personally kinda psyched to read. It sounds neat.

And on topic? Bah! Bah, I say!
Yeah, I don't have much use for topics either.

I can't believe that guy paid $822 for that book. Bastard didn't even give us a chance to look like we were going to get it.

BTW, you got me in trouble with your Mom. What's with blaming me for the moonshine and the Chivas? Pops and Eclipse were the ones passing it to you, not me....

Seeker is a rib eatin' fool...