art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (1): schwassfore,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > Bug Reports
User Name
Password

Old 10-18-2008, 09:31 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez
Default Spammers

I'm worried that too many legitimate noobs are getting labeled and deleted as spam, because it's happened to a couple of people that contacted me. M2_K was one of them (had to get Tam to fix it), and there was another recently that I haven't been able to get back in touch with because his account was deleted.

What sort of criteria are you guys using to determine who is spam and who is not?
Old 10-18-2008, 09:50 PM
Very, Very Scary Admin

Nae'blis has disabled reputation

user name, location and e-mail address.

First off all having a recognizable name helps. Same goes for the e-mail address. After that, we take a look at what time zone they're in, but despite all of that sometimes accounts get delete.

To give you an idea though, we had 167 registrations in July, 465 in August, 830 in September, and, in 2 and a half weeks of October, we're already at 910. Another couple weeks and we'll probably be at 1200 for the month and things probably won't be any better in November.

If anyone's account is accidently deleted, please e-mail and we'll try to get it sorted out. Picking a semi-normal user name does help us identify who are bots and who are people, so that's the first step.
Old 10-18-2008, 10:32 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

What makes a user name "normal", though? The last guy's name was Sharvyn, which, as far as internet user names go, is fairly normal.

I'm not trying to pick on the Administration or anything, cause I've apparently run people off before for mistaking them for Spammers cause they had a spammer-ish user name and "Hello" post that lacked any forum-recognition detail.
Old 10-18-2008, 10:37 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Delete them all...God will know His own.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 10-18-2008, 11:23 PM
Very, Very Scary Admin

well, to give you an idea, there's currently a bot registered under the name Whitewater.

That is one of the better ones though. Mostly they're non-sensical, but if they're actually giving names that are recognizable english, well, that makes something like Sharvyn seem a little suspect.

The best advice we can give is that if anything goes wrong to e-mail us. Once that happens I can keep an eye out for that particular name and make sure they don't get deleted.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:34 PM
Hero of the Horn

Can we perhaps change the title of this thread to "Having trouble registering?" so that it's visible and sticky it? I'll put (botproof) info in my first post about what to do. I'm sure for every person that tried to join that happened to know me well enough to contact me about it, there's at least a few who don't know anyone.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:45 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez
Can we perhaps change the title of this thread to "Having trouble registering?" so that it's visible and sticky it? I'll put (botproof) info in my first post about what to do. I'm sure for every person that tried to join that happened to know me well enough to contact me about it, there's at least a few who don't know anyone.
Probably a good idea...I 2nd said suggestion. Though technically at that point we're treading in Zae's sandbox with newbies. It would make sense to add to the Newbie info on the New Users Forum though.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 10-18-2008, 11:59 PM
Hero of the Horn

It would only be a temporary stop-gap as, from what I understand, Tam has plans to get a human verification plug-in for registration, which would solve the bot problem.
Old 10-19-2008, 12:06 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
It would only be a temporary stop-gap as, from what I understand, Tam has plans to get a human verification plug-in for registration, which would solve the bot problem.
I feel so left out. I'm always left out of the loop on the cool stuff.

Old 10-19-2008, 12:12 AM
Hero of the Horn

It's because you don't chat, either theoryland chat (much) or messengers. PMs don't cut it, if you want to be in the loop.

Of course, sometimes chatting with Tam is a little bit like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ
TITLE - Lord of Chaos
PROLOGUE - The First Message

Irritably she placed another domino, and the tower collapsed with a clatter, spilling ivory tiles onto the floor. With a click of her tongue, she turned from the table, folding her arms beneath her breasts. "Where is Demandred? Seventeen days since he went to Shayol Ghul, but he waits until now to inform us of a message, then does not appear." She had been to the Pit of Doom twice in that time herself, made that nerve-racking walk with the stone fangs brushing her hair. To find nothing except a strange too-tall Myrddraal that would not speak. The Bore had been there, certainly, but the Great Lord had not answered. She did not remain long either time. She had thought herself beyond fear, at least the sort a Halfman’s gaze brought, but twice the Myrddraal’s silent eyeless stare had sent her away with quickening steps that only tight self-control kept from becoming a run. Had channeling there not been a sure way to die, she would have destroyed the Halfman, or Traveled from the Pit itself. "Where is he?"
Old 10-19-2008, 12:18 AM
Hero of the Horn

Chat no worky at work (silly firewall blocks it) and even if it did I'd rarely be able to get away with it. Having TL up but hidden isn't a big deal as no one can see my screen and my productivity at work is very high compared to most, but chatting wouldn't fly. There isn't anyone ever in the TL chat the times I've tried in the past few months though...and I dont ahve any other chats.

Old 10-19-2008, 05:55 AM
Hero of the Horn

Sarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
There isn't anyone ever in the TL chat the times I've tried in the past few months though...and I dont ahve any other chats.
That's because the old on was kinda dead, but we have a NEW ONE now

the Grey Viper, the Lord of Forsaken Roads, the Pink Sunset
Old 10-20-2008, 02:16 AM
Hero of the Horn

tworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to tworiverswoman

Quote:
The Bore had been there, certainly, but the Great Lord had not answered.
~gasp~ Are you calling our LOTB a BORE?

And I've seen some of the most RIDICULOUS names go through recently as "new members..." Sorry, don't remember any, but I do remember noting one had the word "dildo" as part of the name...
"once I'm naked, i can't get any cooler!" - Camel

Back in my day Pluto was a planet!
Old 10-20-2008, 02:20 AM
Hero of the Horn

Yeah, when they have product names in the user name, that's just asking for it. There's a guy at Malazan whose user name says something about vicodin, but I think they have human verification over there, so he didn't get deleted. He certainly would have here.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:37 PM
Mistress of Novices

Zaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Zaela Sedai Send a message via MSN to Zaela Sedai Send a message via Yahoo to Zaela Sedai Send a message via Skype™ to Zaela Sedai

I would stick it in the New Users forum AND in this one.

The One, the Original, the ONLY Z
Beware of impostors

In Brandon We Trust
This TL Siren is bonded to Pops, XX, DaiShan and DeiwosTheSkyGod. Allied with Seeker and Guarded by Hopper
General of the Western Border, Valkyrie of the Autumn Storm, Destined Fury
Old 10-21-2008, 05:46 PM
Hero of the Horn

I maded the thread if you want to sticky it, Zae.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:43 PM
Youngling

Lilith is an unknown quantity at this point

well, there's a spam proof "activation" thing now that stopped me from posting for two days.. *grumbles at vbulletin because it won't let her log in with her own username*..

although I'm not sure if this was a manual activation, or automatic, or if I had the (doubtful ) honour of being activated because I mentioned in GW chat that it wouldn't let me log in as anaiya...
Old 01-27-2009, 09:55 PM
Very, Very Scary Admin

the activation is an e-mail sent to your e-mail account. You have to click on the link in that e-mail and then that activates your account.

If you are having problems with another account let us know and we can reset your password for you.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:05 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nae'blis
well, to give you an idea, there's currently a bot registered under the name Whitewater.

That is one of the better ones though. Mostly they're non-sensical, but if they're actually giving names that are recognizable english, well, that makes something like Sharvyn seem a little suspect.
Of course, the name "Shara" does occur quite a few times in the WOT. And there's a Belvyn as a member of the Band of the Red Hand (COT, Chapter 37). Combining the two into Sharvyn does seem sort of WOTly*.

* Seems not quite the right construction. It was meant as a variation on "clear-clearly", but now starting with "WOT".
Old 01-28-2009, 05:11 AM
Hero of the Horn

Try "WoT-ish".