art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Book 12: The Gathering Storm
User Name
Password

Old 05-12-2010, 01:14 PM
Dragonmount Admin

Luckers is just really niceLuckers is just really niceLuckers is just really niceLuckers is just really niceLuckers is just really niceLuckers is just really nice
Default The Unseen Eyes of Tel'aran'rhiod

As some of you know I have called the Big Unnoticed Thing as the Unseen Eyes of Tel'aran'rhiod.

Quote:
The Unseen Watchers of Tel’aran’rhiod

The first citing of the girls feeling eyes on them in Tel'aran'rhiod occurs in book four...

Quote:
Studying the columns herself, Egwene shrugged uncomfortably. It did feel as if, they were being watched. No doubt it was just because they were the only people in the Stone. No one who had access to Tel'aran'rhiod could expect to find anyone to watch, here. [tSR;35, Sharp Lessons]
It gets referenced frequently, however. Here are some of the quotes.

Quote:
"...She had the sensation of being watched from the dimnesses between the columns..."
"...The emptiness of the vast chamber oppressed her, all those great polished columns and that sense of being watched from the dimness between..."
”... there was often a feel of unseen eyes in the World of Dreams…”
"...that sensation of being watched that was so common in Tel’aran ‘rhiod. It was all Nynaeve could do not to flee..."
“…Suddenly very much aware of feeling unseen eyes…”
“…She had almost grown accustomed to the feel of unseen eyes in this vast chamber…”
“…Even the feel of unseen eyes could not touch her through her anger this morning…”
“…often she had the feeling of eyes watching…”
"...calling [Egwene] did nothing except increase that uneasy feeling of being watched..."
"...she became aware of being watched by unseen eyes. That sensation was always present in Tel'aran'rhiod, and not even the Wise Ones knew why..."
"...The ever-present sensation of unseen eyes watching was not dreamlike..."
"...That no longer seemed any odder to her than the feel of unseen eyes watching..."
The Ongoing Principal: Brandon stated that: “It’s been going for a long time.” And that entries in books 4-6 are “not the only time it’s ever mentioned. It is…hints about this hidden thing appear in pretty much…in several of the books.”

This implies several things—first and clearest is that the BUT is referenced outside books 4-6. Second, that the BUT is an event, action or effect. It has been ‘going on’ for some time, not ‘existing’ for some time. This does not wholly rule out it being an object, but it does require that if it is an object that it is doing something, or something is occurring due to it. It may even be as simple as the way characters are reacting or not reacting to it, but it has to be more than it’s existence which is significant.

The Ongoing Principal; The Unseen Eyes: First mentioned in book 4, with heavy mention in through books four and five, slows down a bit in book 6, and then has one mention each in books 7, 9 &10. This fits neatly with Brandon's comments on who the BUT appears and plays out in the books.

The Discussion Factor: Brandon said that he has never seen anyone discussing this point in his lurking on the Forums. That being said he reiterated several times that that does not mean that it hadn’t been discussed, a point which I came to appreciate recently when I made a passing reference to the Sylvase Theory—which I would have said was heavily discussed—and everyone in the thread stared at me blankly.

As such I didn’t really bother to investigate whether an idea had been discussed and am just putting down the degree to which I recall it being discussed, and am instructing you all to take the discussion factor with a grain of salt.

The Discussion Factor; The Unseen Eyes: I cannot recall it being discussed once on DM, though Terez stated that it had been on Theoryland. If I missed that, Brandon easily could have.

Revelation Requirements: Brandon said that: “it's something we should have picked up on when it appeared.”

This of course is on par with Asmodean’s killer being intuitively obvious. It does help in some ways—if the suggested BUT does not have significance except when looked at with knowledge gained in the later books it most probably isn’t the actual BUT.

Revelation Requirements; The Unseen Eyes The eyes are an oddity that is brought up often and never explained. We indeed should have taken notice the second they appeared. This fits Brandon's comments about how we should have noticed this perfectly.

Potential Impact: Uncertain. The eyes have a dire feel to them, but we have no specific indication of what may come from them should this be the BUT--note I now have a theory on them relating to the evil that created Shadar Logoth--for the short, look to the connection between the Unseen Eyes of TAR and those of Shadar Logoth and Fain
Terez thinks that picking one theory from the multitude is meaningless unless I can explain the impact of the Unseen Eyes. I think that's silly. Nothing in Brandon's comments indicates that we should predict the impact of the Unnoticed Thing, just that we should have noticed it in itself. This directly parallel's the way the Big Unnoticed Thing in the Mistborn series played out--we had hints that something weird was going on, but no clue as to its impact or reality. For those interested in exploring this point further check out my post on the Mistborn Spoiler which can be found here. I do strongly suggest you actually read the series, however. It is good and this will spoile a great deal for you.

But alright, I've been called out, and I've never been one to back away from a challenge. Here is my first theory on the Unseen Eyes--I'm developing another dealing with the Ways which I think is less likely, but I'll post it anyway in a few days--after all god forbid we not predict the BUT's impact..

The Evil That Twisted Mordeth and Gave Birth to Shadar Logoth

Brandon has told us that Mordeth, in searching for ways to combat the Shadow, encountered an entirely different evil which changed him into what he is, and is currently driving him.

Quote:
Matt: Ok. You mentioned that Mordeth was a man that had "power". You are reported as saying that his power was that "which he got by seeking out all of the evil things that weren’t related to the Shadow"…

Brandon: ...he was seeking things that were related to the Shadow. I think that that might be a misquote. He was looking into the power of the Shadow in order to defeat it, was his goal. He was looking into everything. He was looking into things that were not necessarily related to the Dark One as well. He was looking for everything that he could get…

Matt: ...previous to him arriving to Aridhol?

Brandon: ...Yeah...

Matt: ...before he went to the King and became the counselor, Mordeth was this guy that went around searching for Power?

Brandon: Yeah, he wanted to defeat the Dark One and he felt that he could find other ways to do it […] He originally was good. He did not…he wasn’t this terrible person to begin with but he was looking to defeat the Dark One, to find a way to defeat the Shadow. And he looked into a lot of things he shouldn’t have looked into. There are evils that are not necessarily directly related to the Dark One, though everything evil kind of has…just as there are goods that are not related necessarily to the One Power…we are talking much as Perrin runs with wolves. This is a thing older than…there are other evils things that are old in a similar way…

Matt: ...is the assumption then that he found one of these?

Brandon: He did.

Matt: He found one or multiple?

Brandon: He found many things of darkness. There is one in specific that is driving him but he knew too much. He found things he should not have gotten into and that is what turned him into…when he got there he was already corrupt. He still thought he was doing a good work. He still thought we are going to raise this Kingdom up and it is going to become this bastion against the Shadow, but he was already by then corrupted.

[Hah - Maybe I should have asked if Mordeth was under the influence of the Finns...or at the very least if they were one of the powers he found in his quest... ]

Matt: Is this same corrupting influence what corrupts everyone through the dagger itself?

Brandon: Yeah. Through him. yes. And even through his presence.
So, this evil exists seperate of him, is driving him (or perhaps was before Fain's introduction and the presence of DO evil--it has been stated Fain is unique), and is the source of all the corruption related to Shadar Logoth.

The Unseen Eyes of Shadar Logoth

It must be noted that a direct parallel exists between the Unseen Eyes of TAR, and those of Shadar Logoth.

Quote:
The back of his neck prickled. Something was watching them from the darkness in the columns. He spun around, staring at the buildings across the way. He could feel eyes on him from there, too. His grip tightened on his sword hut, though he wondered what good it would be. Watching eyes seemed to be everywhere. The others looked around warily; he
knew they could feel it, too.

[tEotW; 19, Shadow's Waiting]
Quote:
The watchers followed them. Or else there were lots of watchers, lots of eyes staring out of almost every building. Rand could not see anything move, hard as he tried, but he could feel the eyes, eager, hungry. He did not know which would be worse. Thousands of eyes, or just a few, following them.

Quote:
At last, with twilight falling, they came in sight of the white stone building they had left what seemed like days ago. Suddenly the watching eyes departed. Between one step and the next, they vanished in a blink. Without a word Rand broke into a trot, followed by his friends, then a full run that only ended when they hared through the doorway and collapsed, panting.

Disturbingly similar descriptions. Of course this cannot be the BUT--it's mentioned in book one, after all. More on that in a second, though I would point out that these eyes are noted to have grown worse in LoC.

Quote:
Rand turned slowly where he stood, staring up at windows like empty eye sockets, the eyes gouged out. With the sun climbing high he could feel unseen watchers. When he had been here before, that feeling had not come this strongly until the sun began to go down.

[LoC; 21, To Shadar Logoth]
Quote:
Rand hesitated. Well short of midafternoon yet, and he could feel the eyes again. As strong as they had been with the sun setting his first time here.

Quote:
The invisible watchers filled every window, every opening, thousands of them, waiting, anticipating.

So yes, Shadar Logoth was destroyed, yet it can be clearly noted that the evil was somehow growing stronger.

The Unseen Eyes of Padan Fain

The next interesting point is that these Watchers aren't just in Shadar Logoth. Fain seems to carry the same sense with him. In tGH Rand experiences the sensation of Unseen Watchers.

Quote:
In the woodyard, the presence returned, the sense of someone there. The feel of eyes peering at him around tall piles of split firewood under the long sheds, darting glances over the stacks of seasoned planks and timbers waiting on the other side of the yard for the carpenter's shop, now closed up tight. He refused to look around, refused to think of how one set of eyes could move from place to place so fast, could cross the open yard from the firewood shed to the lumbershed without even a flicker of movement that he could see. He was sure it was one set of eyes. Imagination. Or maybe I'm going crazy already. He shivered. Not yet. Light, please not yet. Stiff-backed, he stalked across the woodyard, and the unseen watcher followed.

Down deep corridors lit only by a few rush torches, in storerooms filled with sacks of dried peas or beans, crowded with slatted racks heaped with wrinkled turnips and beets, or stacked with barrels of wine and casks of salted beef and kegs of ale, the eyes were always there, sometimes following him, sometimes waiting when he entered. He never heard a footstep but his own, never heard a door creak except when he opened and closed it, but the eyes were there. Light, I am going crazy.

[tGH; 2, The Flame of Tar Valon]
Now many assume this to be the Grey Man that later attempts to kill Rand during the Leavetaking. However, Liandrin also experiences the Eyes. Consider.

Quote:
Pulling the door shut behind her, Liandrin suddenly felt a prickling across her skin. Breath catching, she whirled about, looking up and down the dimly lit hall. Empty. It was full night beyond the arrowslits. The hall was empty, yet she was sure there had been eyes on her. The vacant corridor, shadowy between the lamps on the walls, mocked her. She shrugged uneasily, then started down the hall determinedly. Fancies take me. Nothing more.

[tGH; 5, The Shadow in Shienar]
Why would the Grey Man watch Liandrin--more to the point on the same page we switch to Fain's POV.

Quote:
As a lamp came into the cell chamber, Fain raised his head, grinning at something, unseen yet felt, beyond the dungeon's stone ceiling. "It isn't over yet," he whispered. "The battle's never over."

[tGH; 5, The Shadow in Shienar]

Furthermore in chapter 3 Fain keeps looking towards where the woman's apartments are, where Liandrin is.

Quote:
He let his arm fall, and his eyes rose to stare intently at an angle up into the darkness. A crooked grin twisting his mouth, he chuckled deep in his throat as if whatever he saw was amusing. "Mordeth knows more than all of you. Mordeth knows."

Egwene backed away from the cell until she reached Rand, and only the edge of the light touched the bars of Fain's cell. Darkness hid the peddler, but they could still hear his chuckles. Even unable to see him, Rand was sure Fain was still peering off at nothing. With a shiver, he pried his fingers off his sword hilt. "Light!" he said hoarsely. "This is what you call being like he used to be?"

"Sometimes he's better, and sometimes worse." Egwene's voice was unsteady. "This is worse-much worse than usual."

"What is he seeing, I wonder. He's mad, staring at a stone ceiling in the dark." If the stone weren't there, he'd he looking straight at the women's apartments. Where Moiraine is, and the Amyrlin Seat. He shivered again. "He's mad."

[tGH; 3, Friends and Enemies]
Of course this raises the question of why would he be looking at Liandrin. LoC gives us something of an answer.

Quote:
It was the most remarkable thing about Darkfriends. There should be nothing to single out a Darkfriend from anyone else, but of late he found he could tell one at a glance, even someone who had only thought of swearing to the Shadow, as if they had a sooty mark on their foreheads.

[LoC; 28, Letters]
Obviously he has only just gained mastery of this skill, but much like the flies situation in tGH was an early manifestation of his illusion skills, this awareness of Liandrin (and likely Alviarin) was an early manifestation of his awareness of Darkfriends. At least, that is what I suggest.

What Is The Relevence? These Things Occur Before Book Four, So They Ain't The BUT

Shadar Logoth and Fain are both results of the touch of the same evil thing, as shown by Brandon's comments. Both of these evils manifest with the feel of unseen eyes, unseen watchers. They themselves cannot be the BUT, but what I am suggesting is that the source of their evil may be.

Consider, Fain and Shadar Logoth have a linked source, but TAR has no links to either. So, if neither Shadar Logoth or Fain are the source of the TAR eyes--what if the TAR eyes are the source of Shadar Logoth and Fain?

The final thing I would address is that many have asked why the Eyes haven't done anything till now--what indication we have that that is to change. Little, in truth, but I do have this one quote which I think frames the response to such a question nicely.

Quote:
"Whatever watches us is waiting for nightfall, I think," Sulin said. "I have looked into windows where something was looking back at me, but there was nothing there. Dancing the spears with something we cannot see will not be easy."

Whatever watches waits till nightfall. The Shadow darkens the world, the next book is to be called the Towers of Midnight. The time the watchers wait for, perhaps?
Old 05-12-2010, 02:24 PM
Hero of the Horn

Crispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond repute

I like the connections you've made, but I don't really see the point or relevance. I agree with Terez that you probably should come up with a scenario involving the Unseen Eyes, because the big surprise is going to be a huge plot twist. What will they do? Who are they?

I also happen to think the Unseen Eyes might be the big plot twist, but I don't think they have anything to do with Shadar Logoth or Fain. Rather, I think they are the souls of the Heroes and/or dead non-Heroes in Tel'aran'rhiod. The plot twist could come in a several ways, but Terez's Gawyn theory makes me think they will be important to Rand's death and...whatever happens after.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:55 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispin's Crispian View Post
I think they are the souls of the Heroes and/or dead non-Heroes in Tel'aran'rhiod. The plot twist could come in a several ways, but Terez's Gawyn theory makes me think they will be important to Rand's death and...whatever happens after.
I know what you are getting at, but I doubt that the Heroes will be all that important to what happens after Rand's death. It may be that Rand decides to follow the precepts, which would make it difficult for Nynaeve to find him...but not impossible. All they have to do is use Need. Nynaeve might need the assistance of Egwene to hold him down once they find him, but all of the necessary means have already been introduced in the story.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:28 PM
Hero of the Horn

WinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to WinespringBrother

FWIW, Mat also thought there were hidden watchers in Finnland.

Quote:
TITLE: Shadow Rising CHAPTER: 15 - Into the Doorway
He saw no one except his silent guide; he could have believed the place empty except for the two of them. From somewhere he had a dim memory of walking halls that had not known a human foot in hundreds of years, and this felt the same. Yet sometimes he caught a flicker of motion out of the corner of his eye. Only, however quickly he turned, there was never anyone there. He pretended to rub his forearms, checking the knives up his coatsleeves for reassurance.

"Oh, y'all [Theorylanders] are awesome with awesome sauce, but you ask a lot of tricky questions. I had to watch myself with you guys." - Maria

"I need to RAFO more things, I'm not being very Robert Jordan..." - Brandon
Old 05-12-2010, 09:09 PM
Elder

Spasmodean is just really niceSpasmodean is just really niceSpasmodean is just really niceSpasmodean is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinespringBrother View Post
To be fair, there probably WERE. We can't just assume that there are only 4 Finns and a gatekeeper per doorway. /wildconjecture - With the twisty nature of Finnland they probably had some trick to keep them hidden from full view which is why he only saw then at the corners of his vison
Old 05-13-2010, 04:04 AM
Ancient

Tercel will become famous soon enoughTercel will become famous soon enough

I believe the Unseen Eyes of Tel'aran'rhiod are the hidden thing that Brandon mentioned. There are very few things that fit BS's criteria, but the Unseen Eyes fit that criteria well. I doubt there's a correlation with the Shadar Logoth unseen eyes however.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:39 AM
Dragonmount Admin

Luckers is just really niceLuckers is just really niceLuckers is just really niceLuckers is just really niceLuckers is just really niceLuckers is just really nice

Quote:
I like the connections you've made, but I don't really see the point or relevance. I agree with Terez that you probably should come up with a scenario involving the Unseen Eyes, because the big surprise is going to be a huge plot twist. What will they do? Who are they?
Firstly, I already did make a suggestion in the issue of who Perrin's unseen foe was. It's stated in the blurb that an unseen foe (not the whitecloaks or slayer) is pulling a noose tight around Perrin's neck, and that he must seek the answers to this problem in tel'aran'rhiod.

Secondly, the above post does make a suggestion about who the Unseen Eyes are--that they are the evil Mordeth found when he was searching for ways to kill the Dark--the evil which currently drives him, and the evil which gave birth to Shadar Logoth and its taint.

Thirdly, this is the problem with yours and Terez' logic. We simply don't know enough about the situation to predict all aspects of it. This does not invalidate the parts that we can predict.

Quote:
Rather, I think they are the souls of the Heroes and/or dead non-Heroes in Tel'aran'rhiod.
Yet when Nynaeve states that Birgitte had no knowledge of what the Eyes are, which means they are not the heroes, and RJ stated that the non-hero dead have their own place of waiting between lives, and are thus not present in TAR.

Quote:
The sensation of the Eyes is very specific, and not at all like what Mat describes. My guess is that Mat's experiences were a result of the warped nature of Finnland reality.

Quote:
I believe the Unseen Eyes of Tel'aran'rhiod are the hidden thing that Brandon mentioned. There are very few things that fit BS's criteria, but the Unseen Eyes fit that criteria well. I doubt there's a correlation with the Shadar Logoth unseen eyes however.
I don't know about it either. That's the problem with Terez's request, by confusing the question of what the BUT is with what its impact will be you muddy the original issue. I believe the Eyes are the BUT, and this is the most viable answer I have to offer, but it is far from stone.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:59 AM
Ancient

Neilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant future

Interesting idea, good quotes, support, and connections. However, I have no idea what to do with this other than assume that things are going to get hairy for our heroes.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:29 AM
Dragonmount Admin

Yup. That's the end game for any theory on this issue. We simply do not know enough.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:47 AM
Inbred, Ugly, and Drunk on Corn Liquor

Sei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond repute

I like this idea too. It's insignificant enough to not be noticeable, but when it's pointed out it makes you think that it could be right. Good catch as far as I'm concerened.

There may be some things in there that aren't quite right. I'm not sure I agree with the whole Aridhol angle. I guess I need to do a little research...something I haven't done in years. Jordancon screwed up my lackidaisical lifestyle.

www.buckeyestation.com look at it, love it, share it with your friends!
Old 05-13-2010, 09:54 AM
Lord of the Board

Tamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tamyrlin
Default The evil and Shadar Logoth

I like the idea of trying to tie this other evil or darkness to the "small detail" through the unseen eyes - however, it's difficult to disconnect the variety of initial Shadar Logoth references, Padan Fain and the dagger's influence from the requirement that the "small detail" was first mentioned somewhere between books 4-6. I understand that you are placing the emphasis to these occurrences in T'A'R, but that remains the biggest weakness, when directly connected to this other evil. However, disconnected, the unseen eyes in T'A'R certainly could be the Small Detail (Big Unnoticed Thing seems to be the thing the Small Detail will lead to...BUT that's just me).

I'll be interested in seeing your second idea about that connects the Ways instead.

By the way - I don't get the impression that Crispy and Terez are discounting or invalidating parts of your theory (although I haven't read replies other than what are here)...I think most of us, while interested in the Small Detail, are just as interested in theories regarding what it will lead to. So, now that you have an idea about what the Small Detail is, it would be fun to come up with the ideas as to its Potential Impact.

Also, to everyone, it would be good of us to craft a series of questions that we can use to invalidate the long list of suspect Small Details, the next time we get a chance to question Brandon...DragonCon does approach.

Last edited by Tamyrlin; 05-13-2010 at 09:57 AM.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:12 AM
Dragonmount Admin

Quote:
I like the idea of trying to tie this other evil or darkness to the "small detail" through the unseen eyes - however, it's difficult to disconnect the variety of initial Shadar Logoth references, Padan Fain and the dagger's influence from the requirement that the "small detail" was first mentioned somewhere between books 4-6. I understand that you are placing the emphasis to these occurrences in T'A'R, but that remains the biggest weakness, when directly connected to this other evil. However, disconnected, the unseen eyes in T'A'R certainly could be the Small Detail (Big Unnoticed Thing seems to be the thing the Small Detail will lead to...BUT that's just me).
The destinction would be not so much that the Eyes of TAR are in TAR as opposed to being in SL or Fain, but that the Eyes of TAR were the source of the evil in Shadar Logoth and Fain (the Mordeth side).

Think of it like we met the kids in the early books, but the Dad in books four to six. They are distinct. The TAR Eyes influenced Mordeth, and guided him, but the evil the results for all that it stems from them, is not them. Now we've actually met the Big Bad.

(Again, a reminder, I'm just saying this in light of the question. There is clearly not enough evidence here to be in any way certain).

Quote:
I'll be interested in seeing your second idea about that connects the Ways instead.
I'll post it either tomorrow or monday. It's not as strong though. Not by far, so don't get your hopes up.

Quote:
By the way - I don't get the impression that Crispy and Terez are discounting or invalidating parts of your theory (although I haven't read replies other than what are here)...I think most of us, while interested in the Small Detail, are just as interested in theories regarding what it will lead to. So, now that you have an idea about what the Small Detail is, it would be fun to come up with the ideas as to its Potential Impact.
Indeed, what I was talking of is not present in this thread--and in truth doesn't involve Crispy. Terez has expressed--frequently--her disdain for the idea that simply identifying the BUT is meaningful, which I have a fairly large problem with.

That being said don't mistake me--the question of the impact of the BUT is a good one, and worth discussion. It is a seperate question, however.

Quote:
Also, to everyone, it would be good of us to craft a series of questions that we can use to invalidate the long list of suspect Small Details, the next time we get a chance to question Brandon...DragonCon does approach.
Have you checked out my compilation of theories? I'm considering creating a shortlist of the most viable, but it may help in what your looking at. It can be found here

Last edited by Luckers; 05-13-2010 at 11:18 AM.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:17 AM
Hero of the Horn

Crispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckers View Post
Secondly, the above post does make a suggestion about who the Unseen Eyes are--that they are the evil Mordeth found when he was searching for ways to kill the Dark--the evil which currently drives him, and the evil which gave birth to Shadar Logoth and its taint.
But that's pretty nebulous. It's just an "evil" of some kind. How would it manifest as the feeling of being watched? What is it? How is it related to anything else in the story?

Quote:
Thirdly, this is the problem with yours and Terez' logic. We simply don't know enough about the situation to predict all aspects of it. This does not invalidate the parts that we can predict.
The Big Secret is supposed to be a major plot device in the next book. To me, that has to be part of any theory because it is one important criterion. Sure, there's no way for us to know what it is or what is going to happen, but it will give your theory a lot more strength if you can tie it to the plot.

Quote:
Yet when Nynaeve states that Birgitte had no knowledge of what the Eyes are, which means they are not the heroes, and RJ stated that the non-hero dead have their own place of waiting between lives, and are thus not present in TAR.
Did he say that, or did he just say that there is an "ordinary afterlife"? I'm not sure he ever said they don't go to Tel'aran'rhiod.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:36 AM
Lord of the Board

Tamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond repute
Default I see what you are saying...

Quote:
The destinction would be not so much that the Eyes of TAR are in TAR as opposed to being in SL or Fain, but that the Eyes of TAR were the source of the evil in Shadar Logoth and Fain (the Mordeth side).

Think of it like we met the kids in the early books, but the Dad in books four to six. They are distinct. The TAR Eyes influenced Mordeth, and guided him, but the evil the results for all that it stems from them, is not them. Now we've actually met the Big Bad.

(Again, a reminder, I'm just saying this in light of the question. There is clearly not enough evidence here to be in any way certain).
So, are you suggesting that T'A'R is this entity's "home"?

Quote:
I'll post it either tomorrow or monday. It's not as strong though. Not by far, so don't get your hopes up.
Ok - I guess my interest is in other variations of what the unseen eyes could signify, so anything will be interesting...while possibly not compelling. You have sufficiently lowered my expectations.

Quote:
Indeed, what I was talking of is not present in this thread--and in truth doesn't involve Crispy. Terez has expressed--frequently--her disdain for the idea that simply identifying the BUT is meaningful, which I have a fairly large problem with.

That being said don't mistake me--the question of the impact of the BUT is a good one, and worth discussion. It is a seperate question, however.
The potential impact would be a good thread to begin - hmm, I'll see if I have time at lunch to start that (organized a bit).

Quote:
Have you checked out my compilation of theories? I'm considering creating a shortlist of the most viable, but it may help in what your looking at. It can be found here
I have read through it a couple of times - I appreciate the organized way you are going through it (by the way, directly linking that information gleaned from TL would be useful to your users since conversation continues on those threads). I'm including your list in a Small Detail compilation for the WoT Theory Index I'm working on. (Let me know if you would be interested in helping out - I should have a few samples in a week or so for you to get an idea of what it intends to accomplish).
Old 05-13-2010, 11:45 AM
Dragonmount Admin

Quote:
But that's pretty nebulous. It's just an "evil" of some kind. How would it manifest as the feeling of being watched? What is it? How is it related to anything else in the story?
Yup. You're asking questions of impact when we have no basis to suggest any. Oh, we can give some (mostly baseless) conjecture--I did with Perrin's Unseen Foe--but that's all we got.

All of which is rather irrelevant to indentifying the BUT, now isn't it.

Let me compare what you are doing. In tSR Amico and Joiya are killed by an agent of the Shadow which manages to enter a closed and locked cell. This is beyond the capabilities of all of the agents of the Shadow Moiraine was aware of. She can predict its existence, guess at some points of its nature, but had you asked her what it was could she have answered "Oh, it's Slayer of course. An amalgamation of Luc and Isam which can utilize Tel'aran'rhiod to entire locked rooms".

Of course not. That she couldn't do that doesn't invalidate her perceptions of a new agency of the Shadow. Just so that we do not know what this evil is, what it wants, or its full nature, but that does not invalidate predictions of its existance or involvement.

These questions are interesting, but the attempt to frame them as necessary in the question of what the BUT is is highly problematic. In fact its impossible.

Quote:
The Big Secret is supposed to be a major plot device in the next book. To me, that has to be part of any theory because it is one important criterion. Sure, there's no way for us to know what it is or what is going to happen, but it will give your theory a lot more strength if you can tie it to the plot.
You are wrong in your insistance. Brandon made no comments that specify the identification of impact as a criterion for the Big Unnoticed Thing. It will be in play in ToM and that is all we know--anything further is your high jinks, and not our duty to answer. Sorry.

By the way I did, incidently, tie it to the plot with the Unseen Foe suggestions. That should have no impact on my theory though--it could be easily wrong. It is baseless conjecture. The work on the Unseen Eyes as BUT however is theory backed in evidence.

Quote:
Did he say that, or did he just say that there is an "ordinary afterlife"? I'm not sure he ever said they don't go to Tel'aran'rhiod.
Then look it up. I mean thats hardly a no brainer--if you don't know something, you look it up.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:55 AM
Dragonmount Admin

Quote:
So, are you suggesting that T'A'R is this entity's "home"?
Perhaps. It's uncertain from the reference to the Wise Ones not knowing what the Eyes are whether this is a new phenomena or an old one. Perhaps the Eyes have only recently taken up residence.

It is where they are currently, however.

Quote:
I have read through it a couple of times - I appreciate the organized way you are going through it (by the way, directly linking that information gleaned from TL would be useful to your users since conversation continues on those threads). I'm including your list in a Small Detail compilation for the WoT Theory Index I'm working on. (Let me know if you would be interested in helping out - I should have a few samples in a week or so for you to get an idea of what it intends to accomplish).
Lol--the problem with directly linking info that was gained from Theoryland is that none was directly gained from theoryland. That was my intention originally mind, cite theories with links to where they were posted--but 99% were posted piecemeal. Someone says 'how bout the Trollocs in the stone', someone else says 'how'd semirhage react so fast', a third says 'did Semirhage send her trollocs through the Ways?'

That was how it was with all of it. What wasn't posted ten million times was posted in ten million pieces. In the end I compiled. Hence the name. What may do better is to link the Discussion threads in general. Currently I only have the DM discussion thread listed by I might throw in the Theoryland and 13th Depo threads too.

Pass me a line on what your doing through my DM PM or Facebook PM. Even if I can't fully contribute maybe I can do bits--I'm mostly focussed on the Dragonmount Theory Compilation at the moment (the old DM FAQ was in shambles but has some really good stuff, and reconstituting it is where the most of my time is directed).
Old 05-13-2010, 11:59 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
That was my intention originally mind, cite theories with links to where they were posted--but 99% were posted piecemeal.
Not the Unseen Eyes, though.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:07 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Yup. You're asking questions of impact when we have no basis to suggest any. Oh, we can give some (mostly baseless) conjecture--I did with Perrin's Unseen Foe--but that's all we got.

All of which is rather irrelevant to indentifying the BUT, now isn't it.
No, it's not irrelevant at all. But I've made that point already. Let me be clear--your lack of a plot impact does not invalidate your theory. I'm sorry if that what I've implied. However, any well thought out theory (and I certainly make no claim to one) should include the relevant possible impact. No, we can't know what it is, and we're only speculating.

Quote:
You are wrong in your insistance. Brandon made no comments that specify the identification of impact as a criterion for the Big Unnoticed Thing. It will be in play in ToM and that is all we know--anything further is your high jinks, and not our duty to answer. Sorry.
Well, let's see what he said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Sanderson
There is a very small detail in books 4-6, not sure which one that will end up playing a huge role in Towers of Midnight (might end up being in amol, but pretty sure he said ToM). This is on a scale (~example from Mistborn of a small detail~), with how that was such a minor detail touched on in book one, and ended up being the key detail that saved the day in the end. That kind of small detail.

Quote:
...including one thing is secretly hidden in the books for books and books and books, and I haven't been able to find a hint that any of the fan communities have even gotten a whiff it, which is awesome, because they get a whiff of almost everything. And it is really going to be a shocker when it happens, but it is going to be one of those shockers that people are going to slap their foreheads, why haven't we been talking about this for twelve years...
I believe there was another quote where he said it would "blow our minds, but I can't spend that much time looking.

All of the above indicates that it's not just "in play" in ToM or AMoL, but is very important. So, not hijinks, but nice try.

Quote:
Then look it up. I mean thats hardly a no brainer--if you don't know something, you look it up.
Thanks for the tip. I actually did look it up, but couldn't find the quote in question. I did find the afterlife quote.

But continue being condescending. It's quite endearing.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:22 PM
Dragonmount Admin

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckers
That was my intention originally mind, cite theories with links to where they were posted--but 99% were posted piecemeal.

Not the Unseen Eyes, though.
No, they were posted in bits too. The first two were on Dragonmount, and then yours, then a third on DM and a reference on 13th Depo, all amounting to much the same--'how bout them unseen eyes...'.

I'd already fleshed that theory out, but it was much the same with any of the others. Either generalities repeated often, or bits and and pieces which could be combined to make a viable theory.

Quote:
However, any well thought out theory (and I certainly make no claim to one) should include the relevant possible impact
I disagree. To place such strictures means that attempts at analytical thought are bound by the need to add conjecture. An invalid methodology. Consider Siuan, she managed to identify the Too Young Sitter conpiracy without identifying its impact or purpose. Were her efforts pointless from that lack? No, she identified a significant plot.

That one may not detail the full intentions of a thing doesn't mean identifying it is pointless.

Quote:
Quote:

Well, let's see what he said:

Quote:
There is a very small detail in books 4-6, not sure which one that will end up playing a huge role in Towers of Midnight (might end up being in amol, but pretty sure he said ToM). This is on a scale (~example from Mistborn of a small detail~), with how that was such a minor detail touched on in book one, and ended up being the key detail that saved the day in the end. That kind of small detail.

Quote:
...including one thing is secretly hidden in the books for books and books and books, and I haven't been able to find a hint that any of the fan communities have even gotten a whiff it, which is awesome, because they get a whiff of almost everything. And it is really going to be a shocker when it happens, but it is going to be one of those shockers that people are going to slap their foreheads, why haven't we been talking about this for twelve years...

I believe there was another quote where he said it would "blow our minds, but I can't spend that much time looking.

All of the above indicates that it's not just "in play" in ToM or AMoL, but is very important. So, not hijinks, but nice try.
I see nothing in that to state that we should be able to predict the impact of the role it will play in ToM. That we should have noticed the thing itself, yes. That it is big, yes.

Nothing about us being able to predict its impact.

The quote you are thinking of is that he said we'd slap ourselves on the head when we figured it out.

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the tip. I actually did look it up, but couldn't find the quote in question. I did find the afterlife quote.

But continue being condescending. It's quite endearing.
You're right, I was frustrated, but that is no excuse. My appologies.

Last edited by Luckers; 05-13-2010 at 12:33 PM.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:23 PM
Lord of the Board

Default T'A'R and Linking

Quote:
Perhaps. It's uncertain from the reference to the Wise Ones not knowing what the Eyes are whether this is a new phenomena or an old one. Perhaps the Eyes have only recently taken up residence.

It is where they are currently, however.
I've always thought the Eyes in T'A'R were a factor of the increase of people using T'A'R, such as the Forsaken spying. But that very well might have been what Jordan wanted us to feel is implied, while hiding something much larger

Quote:
Lol--the problem with directly linking info that was gained from Theoryland is that none was directly gained from theoryland. That was my intention originally mind, cite theories with links to where they were posted--but 99% were posted piecemeal. Someone says 'how bout the Trollocs in the stone', someone else says 'how'd semirhage react so fast', a third says 'did Semirhage send her trollocs through the Ways?'

That was how it was with all of it. What wasn't posted ten million times was posted in ten million pieces. In the end I compiled. Hence the name. What may do better is to link the Discussion threads in general. Currently I only have the DM discussion thread listed by I might throw in the Theoryland and 13th Depo threads too.
I was speaking to general discussion thread links such as in your 1.3 Things Peter Ahsltrom Ruled Out. Seems like an obvious place to drop the link to the original thread where you gleaned all of the things you listed so any of your users have an easy way to review it on their own. I wasn't suggesting linking each idea on its own. I'm pointing this out...because it took me a while to find our thread after reading your compilation from which you were quoting the list of things that were discounted, so I imagine it would be very difficult for your users to find the original Discussion.

Quote:
Pass me a line on what your doing through my DM PM or Facebook PM. Even if I can't fully contribute maybe I can do bits--I'm mostly focussed on the Dragonmount Theory Compilation at the moment (the old DM FAQ was in shambles but has some really good stuff, and reconstituting it is where the most of my time is directed).
I'm guessing what you are doing on Dragonmount will be the most useful use of your time - but I'll send you a note through Facebook when there is something to see.