art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7486

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:masterbob79, Ilyena AlMaera, georgekwright, thegirl2014, art336, Serashada, beavs007, Coderick, razux12, Kamen Marin,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Book 13: Towers of Midnight
User Name
Password

Old 05-26-2010, 10:02 AM
Elder

ckparrothead is a glorious beacon of lightckparrothead is a glorious beacon of lightckparrothead is a glorious beacon of lightckparrothead is a glorious beacon of lightckparrothead is a glorious beacon of lightckparrothead is a glorious beacon of lightckparrothead is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
Is that what that thing is? I'd never have known...

First of all, cloaks are typically longer, like trench coats. Second, that coat (not cloak) is just striped. Thom's coat is made of patches that flutter in the wind. Can you seem him trying to flourish that thing?
I would absolutely not put it past Sweet for that thing on Thom's back to be his interpretation of a patchy Gleeman's cloak.

And if you look close you can see that his hair is all white, that he's got a mustache peeking out from the side of his face, and that he's balding on top.

If I'm not mistaken that fits with Sweet's previous expression of Thom Merrilin...

Old 05-26-2010, 10:03 AM
Hero of the Horn

Enigma will become famous soon enoughEnigma will become famous soon enough

Is it just me or is the jacket Mat is wearing wrong? I though he was was suppost to be wearing the sort of frock coats that were around in France around the revolution where as in the image its a bit like Errol Flynn's Robin Hood without the tights.

Nice image of O'Connell Street Dublin and the spire by the way.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:04 AM
Elder

ckparrothead is a glorious beacon of lightckparrothead is a glorious beacon of lightckparrothead is a glorious beacon of lightckparrothead is a glorious beacon of lightckparrothead is a glorious beacon of lightckparrothead is a glorious beacon of lightckparrothead is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
ckp, meet Gonzo, our resident smartass. Gonzo, meet ckp.
Ah, my bad.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:05 AM
Elder

Now that I look at it, I probably missed Terez' sarcasm too in questioning whether Sweet intended that thing on Thom's back to be a Gleeman's cloak.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:10 AM
Elder

Back to the Towers of Midnight cover, I just have to shake my head that the guy in the back of the line is Sweet's interpretation of the following description:

Quote:
He is scrawny and white-haired with missing teeth, stooped shoulders, a sad, weathered face and a hooked nose, but he wears a fine gray jacket. (ACoS,Ch14) He is a stoop-shouldered, white-haired old man with a large hooked nose planted in the middle of a sad face. His gnarled hands are all knobs. (WH,Ch16)
Old 05-26-2010, 10:13 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, your sarcasm detector may need a battery change one of these days.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:13 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez Send a message via MSN to Terez Send a message via Yahoo to Terez

Try this.

Wheel of Time Reference Library @Terez27

Qui nos rodunt confundantur, et cum iustis non scribantur.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:20 AM
Elder

I've always wanted one of those...so sleek, shiny.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:27 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez Send a message via MSN to Terez Send a message via Yahoo to Terez

Almost like a toaster.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:30 AM
Hero of the Horn

JSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to JSUCamel Send a message via MSN to JSUCamel Send a message via Yahoo to JSUCamel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckparrothead View Post
Back to the Towers of Midnight cover, I just have to shake my head that the guy in the back of the line is Sweet's interpretation of the following description:
There are a few things to consider about Sweet before you go bashing his work:

1) Sweet has done all the covers for the first editions in the US since book 1. Publishers tend to want a certain amount of consistency when it comes to covers of epic, best selling series. That's the main reason why Sweet is still doing it.

2) Pretty much what happens is Harriet sends Sweet a chapter of the scene that they want painted (and it's often an early version of the chapter), and then Sweet reads the chapter out of context and then paints based on his vision. Then he sends it to Team Jordan, who point out what's wrong with it and send it back to him to make changes.

3) Sweet is pushing 80 (about 76-77) years old, and he doesn't have the time, inclination or energy to read the books to the extent that we have. On top of that, his fine motor skills are probably deteriorating, along with all the other great stuff that happens to a person's mental and physical faculties when they reach such an age milestone like that.

Yes, it's inaccurate, but when you take the above into account, it's really not that bad, and this is actually one of the better covers in quite some time for WoT.

"Nice try, Jack!" - Robert Jordan (to Camel)
"Camel must be the coolest TLer ever, by now." -GLotD

A grilled cheese eaten more than five minutes later is just no good. -Crispin

Old 05-26-2010, 10:49 AM
Elder

Hey I'm sure Darryl is a sweet old man (see what I did there?) but sub-mediocre work is sub-mediocre work and the TOR folks should have switched it up a long time ago.

I probably would have made a change the moment he submitted the LOC cover to me. And if not then, definitely at ACoS.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:54 AM
Hero of the Horn

The art for book 7 wasn't horrible. 2 was worse; 3 wasn't great either.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:20 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

They probably should have picked another artist from the start, but now that he has done most of the books, he should do the rest too, if possible. But that need not stop us from doing what we've done the whole time: bashing his work.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:27 AM
Elder

Rand's power walking pose in A Crown of Swords is absolutely unforgivable.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:28 AM
Hero of the Horn

ShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond repute

how about instead you go and take a look at this.

Go take a look, with an outsiders perspective of some of the man's other works, stuff you aren't intimately familiar with.

Can you honestly say that this, or this, or this, or this, or this, or this, or this are complete and utter crap? Perhaps, if we knew exactly what books they came from we could find some place to nitpick about some specifics. Perhaps the sails on the space ship are wrong, or it's the wrong type of trees on the island, or the reins might be wrong on the horse...but those are minor details.

Yes, the cover of Lord of Chaos might do for the cover of some romance novel and there are some inconsistencies elsewhere, but think about it. We devote some time every single day (just by being here) to the series. We spend even more time with the dozens of rereads we do to the series. Darrell K. Sweet? Gets the descriptions Terez mentioned sent to him and then does it from that. He doesn't have Team Jordan on hand correcting everything. He just does what he can and then goes onto the next project.

The covers aren't perfect to the series, but just as works of art, they are actually quite good I would say. Don't let your WoT-fan bias slight a good man just because you cannot see beyond your own expectations.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:54 AM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowbaneX View Post
how about instead you go and take a look at this.

Go take a look, with an outsiders perspective of some of the man's other works, stuff you aren't intimately familiar with.

Can you honestly say that this, or this, or this, or this, or this, or this, or this are complete and utter crap? Perhaps, if we knew exactly what books they came from we could find some place to nitpick about some specifics. Perhaps the sails on the space ship are wrong, or it's the wrong type of trees on the island, or the reins might be wrong on the horse...but those are minor details.

Yes, the cover of Lord of Chaos might do for the cover of some romance novel and there are some inconsistencies elsewhere, but think about it. We devote some time every single day (just by being here) to the series. We spend even more time with the dozens of rereads we do to the series. Darrell K. Sweet? Gets the descriptions Terez mentioned sent to him and then does it from that. He doesn't have Team Jordan on hand correcting everything. He just does what he can and then goes onto the next project.

The covers aren't perfect to the series, but just as works of art, they are actually quite good I would say. Don't let your WoT-fan bias slight a good man just because you cannot see beyond your own expectations.
No, rather, looking at those pictures it becomes apparent that Sweet's range as an artist is not wide enough to handle this series. Specifically, he sucks when it comes to portraying people. He seems to excel with animals and to some degree landscapes.

I think you're mistaking my criticisms for being purely centered around inconsistency with minor details that we've read about the series. That's not it at all. The LOC cover would have looked bad on a romance novel, the same way it looked bad on a Robert Jordan work. Still bad, but more appropriate.

Rand's power walk on ACoS on the other hand, that wouldn't be appropriate on any book. Ever.

Last edited by ckparrothead; 05-26-2010 at 11:56 AM.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:36 PM
Hero of the Horn

Belazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Belazamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckparrothead View Post
If I'm not mistaken that fits with Sweet's previous expression of Thom Merrilin...
Ah, see, there's your mistake. You're assuming for some reason that characters look even remotely the same from cover to cover. The obvious example would be Rand.

No one cares, no one sympathizes
You just stand around and play synthesizers
Old 05-27-2010, 02:47 AM
Elder

jana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond repute

I'll say something nice about him. I think most of his art is good. He's just bad at drawing humans and paying attention to what he reads.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:26 PM
Hero of the Horn

Ishara has disabled reputation
Send a message via MSN to Ishara

LOL

Very diplomatic Jana (who is Deadsy? I'm confused.).

I love the various artwork for the e-books. They took my breath away at the auction at the Con. I love them ALL.

Rand: You are an insensitive bastard!!!
Mat: And you ruined another hat!

It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by lightening. -- Calvin

"Gee, I wish I could do magic! Maybe I'll try!" --SDog

Official Vixen of Theoryland and Theoryland Siren

Grain Goddess, the Rood Inverse, the Mad Glomper
Old 05-30-2010, 12:36 AM
Elder

jana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishara View Post
who is Deadsy? I'm confused
It's muh nickname.