art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7483

Logged In (1): terez,

Newest Members:thegirl2014, art336, Serashada, beavs007, Coderick, razux12, Kamen Marin, trenner, Crumb, franceszlane,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Book 13: Towers of Midnight
User Name
Password

Old 06-25-2010, 12:24 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez Send a message via MSN to Terez Send a message via Yahoo to Terez
Default The Climax of TOM? (possibly spoilerish?)

Brandon posted Wednesday that he had two scenes left to write for TOM:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon
Okay, two new scenes left to write on TofM. (Along with a lot of revision still to do.) I will write one of them tonight.
Then yesterday, he posted this:

Quote:
Bryce Koronko, I named a game of dice in TofM after you.
Which of course brings Mat to mind. And then this:

Quote:
Christopher McClintock, you are in the Band of the Red Hand.
And of course, Brandon might not be writing in order. But I have written enough fiction to understand that it's extremely difficult to write a story out of order. It's often tempting, especially when you get stuck with a particular scene, but if you skip too far ahead, then it gets really difficult to maintain continuity. So it seems that the Band will be involved in the climax of TOM in some way. Not surprising, but there it is.

Wheel of Time Reference Library @Terez27

Qui nos rodunt confundantur, et cum iustis non scribantur.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:41 AM
Youngling

Charlz Guybon has a spectacular aura aboutCharlz Guybon has a spectacular aura aboutCharlz Guybon has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post

And of course, Brandon might not be writing in order. But I have written enough fiction to understand that it's extremely difficult to write a story out of order. It's often tempting, especially when you get stuck with a particular scene, but if you skip too far ahead, then it gets really difficult to maintain continuity. So it seems that the Band will be involved in the climax of TOM in some way. Not surprising, but there it is.
Well, unless it's just a throw away reference I don't see what Dice would have to do with the climax of ToM so I'm stumped.

I hope it's how he fullfills his jest to Aludra "I'd have to dice with the Queen of Andor". (Doubtful)

I hope we see lots of Trolloc fighting, Band of the Red Hand goodness.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:48 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez Send a message via MSN to Terez Send a message via Yahoo to Terez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlz Guybon View Post
Well, unless it's just a throw away reference I don't see what Dice would have to do with the climax of ToM so I'm stumped.
It doesn't have to have anything to do with it really - could be an offhand mention, or something in Mat's thoughts.

Old 06-25-2010, 05:19 AM
Elder

jana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond repute

well, Egwene did dream of Mat dicing with a headwound (iirc), so it could be against the Finns.

(I never took it as him literally dicing with them, though)
Old 06-25-2010, 07:18 AM
Hero of the Horn

Me either, but with Mat, anything could happen.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:37 PM
Elder

ckparrothead is a glorious beacon of lightckparrothead is a glorious beacon of lightckparrothead is a glorious beacon of lightckparrothead is a glorious beacon of lightckparrothead is a glorious beacon of lightckparrothead is a glorious beacon of lightckparrothead is a glorious beacon of light

Is this the dream you're referring to?

Quote:
Mat throwing dice with blood streaming down his face, the wide brim of his hat pulled low so she could not see his wound, while Thom Merrilin put his hand into a fire to draw out the small blue stone that now dangled on Moiraine's forehead.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:03 PM
Elder

ckparrothead is a glorious beacon of lightckparrothead is a glorious beacon of lightckparrothead is a glorious beacon of lightckparrothead is a glorious beacon of lightckparrothead is a glorious beacon of lightckparrothead is a glorious beacon of lightckparrothead is a glorious beacon of light

It brings up an interesting topic of speculation in how exactly Mat is going to have to lose an eye to save the world.

I think that giving up half the light of the world to save the world is a clever re-interpretation of balancing an eyeball on scales, and with the dream about him dicing with his hat pulled low and blood streaming down his face, I mean it's a pretty broadly guessed theory that Mat will lose an eye. But how will that save the world? Also there's this little ditty,

Quote:
"Fortune rides like the sun on high
with the fox that makes the ravens fly.
Luck his soul, the lightning his eye,
He snatches the moons from out of the sky."
Is that just cutesy or is that significant? What does lightning usually signify in the Wheel of Time? Usually it has something to do with the One Power. Forked lightning is the symbol on sul'dam uniforms.

Also is it significant that the medallion hanging around his neck, which seems to symbolize Mat in that it's a fox and its power is to keep the One Power off it...but the eye of the fox is an ancient Aes Sedai symbol.
Old 06-25-2010, 03:56 PM
Hero of the Horn

Yeah, I always figured it referred to the medallion's eye. Also, I figure he'll lose the eye at Ghenjei to save Moiraine and by extension save the world since Rand will almost surely fail without her.

Old 06-25-2010, 03:56 PM
Elder

jana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckparrothead View Post
It brings up an interesting topic of speculation in how exactly Mat is going to have to lose an eye to save the world.

I think that giving up half the light of the world to save the world is a clever re-interpretation of balancing an eyeball on scales, and with the dream about him dicing with his hat pulled low and blood streaming down his face, I mean it's a pretty broadly guessed theory that Mat will lose an eye. But how will that save the world? Also there's this little ditty,
It's pretty obvious that IF his losing half the light involves the Finns, that's enough to fulfill the prophecy. Rand will fail without Moiraine, according to Min. So saving Moiraine = saving the world. (But I'm sure at least 3 people will argue here that the dead and gone woman isn't Moiraine).

Edit: Terez just said the same thing but we posted at the same time :P
Old 06-25-2010, 03:57 PM
Hero of the Horn

Probably only Felix and maybe greatwolf. This is why I have them both on ignore.

Old 06-25-2010, 03:59 PM
Elder

Quote:
Probably only Felix and maybe greatwolf. This is why I have them both on ignore.
You're going to miss this then, so I'll help. "He'll give up half the light of the world to save the Daughter of the Night so she can rise again and help Rand master callandor. Cyndane is just her cousin."
Old 06-25-2010, 04:05 PM
Hero of the Horn

You forgot Valan Luca. Surely he will have something to do with it.

Old 06-25-2010, 04:07 PM
Elder

Also, if the name of the dicing game has nothing to do with Finns, then it's probably just a dicing game they play in some village in or near Whitebridge, or maybe a game in Caemlyn. Though it probably isn't one in Caemlyn unless Mat learns it from some foreigners there. Or Brigitte.

Or maybe it's the name of a dicing game he knows from his memories.
Old 06-25-2010, 04:08 PM
Elder

Quote:

I thought that was something we all agreed on. When Moiraine is rescued they won't recognize her at first because she'll have traded bodies with Valan. This will anger Thom when he finds out that he's just done the nasty with Luca, who didn't bother to tell him until afterward.
Old 06-25-2010, 05:32 PM
Elder

nameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant future

He won't be able to stay mad, though, because in the brief time Valan stayed in Mo's body he did enough leg curls to give her the best-turned calves ever.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:34 PM
Elder

Location: A place where summer is the coldest season of the year
Sukoto is a splendid one to beholdSukoto is a splendid one to beholdSukoto is a splendid one to beholdSukoto is a splendid one to beholdSukoto is a splendid one to beholdSukoto is a splendid one to beholdSukoto is a splendid one to beholdSukoto is a splendid one to beholdSukoto is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

If BS is writing people into the books, he is inserting them into off-hand comments or brief scenes, which may or may not have much to do with the story.

For example, Mat might be doing something, and whatever it is reminds him of a dice game called Koronko because it involved women who drove him crazy or some such nonsense.

The member of the Band is a little more significant, especially if BS actually wrote the name in the book because the character was part of the scene and someone was talking to him or thinking about him. That would mean the Band is actually doing something at that point in the book. I image Christopher McClintock is probably carrying a message from someone in the Band to someone in the world, could be anyone.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:53 PM
Hero of the Horn

Yes, that's pretty much what I already said. The dice are not necessarily important, but the member of the Band is indicative. It might be an offhand mention of a person, but it seems doubtful that the Band won't be involved in the climax.

I'm thinking Battle of Caemlyn. Mat might or might not actually be there.

Old 06-26-2010, 02:03 AM
Elder

FelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant future
Default Who might Ganesha be?

Quote:
ROLF...yeah, you might say.

Ever hear of Ganesha, Terez?

AUM.

For more see, @TinkerPride at Twitter.com
Old 06-26-2010, 05:59 PM
Elder

greatwolf will become famous soon enoughgreatwolf will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Great!

I suppose its a recent decision though, I hope its not due to exams, or a quitty attitude.

May the Dragon live on in the hearts of all true believers.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:58 PM
Elder

That seems like the simplest and most likely answer, giving up an eye gets Moiraine and without Moiraine, Rand would fail. I can definitely accept that.

Still wonder about "lightning his eye" though. But, who knows, could just be something cutesy and insignificant.