art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Book 12: The Gathering Storm
User Name
Password

Old 08-14-2010, 11:43 AM
Youngling

NaeffOfDreams is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tying off Gateways

Do Grady and Neald know how to tie off weaves? This would be a simple way to move Perrin's group. I know they need to stay put for story reasons, but it irked me that they haven't thought to do that with a gateway. They said they could hold one open for maybe an hour holding saidin, but if they were to weave gateways and tie them off, they wouldn't have to hold on to the source and could continue to be tired in peace.
Old 08-14-2010, 12:14 PM
Hero of the Horn

Sarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to behold

There's a point where Perrin considers how tired the Asha'man with him are and he thinks about they have taken to tying off the gateways to save strenght. But I can't find it right now.

the Grey Viper, the Lord of Forsaken Roads, the Pink Sunset
Old 08-14-2010, 12:15 PM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Based on circumstantial evidence (mainly the fact that they don't tie off their Gateways), I would say that they don't know this trick. That said, I have no idea when Rand taught this to his Asha'man.
Old 08-14-2010, 12:26 PM
Hero of the Horn

Sarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to behold

Found it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Knif of dreams
Chapter 26, As if the world were fog
"Just tired a little, my Lord," Grady said wearily. He remained seated with his elbows on his knees. "All this Traveling we've been doing lately... Well, I couldn't have held the gateway open long enough for all those soldiers to ride through yesterday. That's why I've taken to tying them off."

the Grey Viper, the Lord of Forsaken Roads, the Pink Sunset
Old 08-14-2010, 05:36 PM
Elder

nameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant future

They know how to tie off Gateways, but Perrin's refugees were collected from all over Ghealdan so there's no way to get them all home with a small number of Gates. Besides, they may well be too exhausted for even that. Remember Rand the day after the battle of Carhien, or Nynaeve the week after the Cleansing. Recovery from that sort of thing takes time.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:38 AM
Elder

greatwolf will become famous soon enoughgreatwolf will become famous soon enough

A gate to send them where? Everyone's well aware now that TLB is on the way. If Perrin sent them off, especially via a tied off weave (aka dumps them off) they could be worse off. No home, no jobs and more importantly no protection from all the wild military currents that now abound.

Even banding together will not be enough for them now. They'll need protection. The sort that a taveren with AS and ashaman can provide. Not to mention about 6000 men under arms. It would be crazy to give that up.

I think Perrin is doomed to collect stray cats as he goes along. And Faile loves strays.
Old 08-15-2010, 05:05 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

I brought this up when TGS came out, but I think we eventually determined that RJ was the first one to make that particular mistake. I can't recall the quote; I'll look it up later.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:24 AM
Ancient

lurk has a spectacular aura aboutlurk has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to lurk

The main problem is that Neald and Grady cannot make very big gateways. the group they have to move is so massive (with carts and all) that even making like ten or twenty gateways and tying them of (assuming they can let them all open in the near vicinity of eachother) would still take several hours to move everybody.

Assuming their gateways can let like 50 people or two carts pass per minute that is only 3000 people or 120 carts or any combination of that an hour. Moving several tens of thousands with possibly 500 to a thousand carts would take very long indeed.

"a fox knows many tricks, a hedgehog knows a single good one" by archilochus

Hodie mihi cras tibi (roman epitaph) meaning: today it is me, tomorrow it is you
Old 09-04-2010, 09:37 AM
Hero of the Horn

Enigma will become famous soon enoughEnigma will become famous soon enough

Its too bad the Asha'man with Perrin don't have the authority to request that they link with the Aes Sedai. Even if Perrin would allow it, I think the Wise Ones would refuse.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:12 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think any of them thought of it. If they did, then the Wise Ones themselves might be willing to do it. Especially if it let them learn how to Travel themselves.
Old 09-04-2010, 02:51 PM
Elder

nameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant future

If they had thought of it, they would have been using it during the rescue instead of working themselves to exhaustion doing everything alone.
Old 09-04-2010, 03:27 PM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
Its too bad the Asha'man with Perrin don't have the authority to request that they link with the Aes Sedai. Even if Perrin would allow it, I think the Wise Ones would refuse.
I think they do have the "authority" to ask. What theylack is the knowledge that it is possible or would be beneficial.

The Wise Ones with Perrin don't know how to link with men, and the Aes Sedai who probably do know (at least the theory) how to link with men aren't offering.

The most obvious solution to the need for more or bigger gateways for Perrins' refugees is for either Grady or Neald to return to Cairhein and either find out where Rand is (or leave a message for him) requesting more asha'man. Perrin might be able to give them a better starting point in finding Rand, but he'd have trouble explaining how he knew.

(Now if I could just figure out which questions they go to. )

I met you in a past life. You were wrong then, too.