art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Book 12: The Gathering Storm
User Name
Password

Old 08-19-2010, 01:40 PM
Youngling

iokepa is just really niceiokepa is just really niceiokepa is just really niceiokepa is just really nice
Default Does Cadsuane have a new Talent?

While re-reading tGS, I noticed a passage during Cadsuane's POV with Rand after he summons her to exile her for the whole Domination Band fiasco...

Anyways, here's the quote:
Quote:
..as she watched the air around him seemed to warp, and she could almost think that the room had grown darker.
and a little later on...

Quote:
Dazed she turned and from the corner of her eye she saw a deep darkness emanating from al'Thor warping the air even further. When she glanced back it was gone.
If this has been discussed already, my apologies. But I'm very curious what was going on here.

Is it simply because he channeled the TP? If so, are there similar descriptions surrounding Moridin when he channels the TP?
Old 08-19-2010, 02:02 PM
Youngling

Abraxas is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by iokepa View Post
While re-reading tGS, I noticed a passage during Cadsuane's POV with Rand after he summons her to exile her for the whole Domination Band fiasco...

Anyways, here's the quote:

and a little later on...

If this has been discussed already, my apologies. But I'm very curious what was going on here.

Is it simply because he channeled the TP? If so, are there similar descriptions surrounding Moridin when he channels the TP?
Initially, it sounds like it might be a cousin-talent to Rand's Talent to sense the Dark bond...
Old 08-19-2010, 02:14 PM
Elder

One Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by BS paraphrased
The black/dark aura around Rand is partially, but not entirely, an effect of True Power usage.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:31 AM
Youngling

Gareth Tomlinson is an unknown quantity at this point

Mulitple people have noticed the dark aura around Rand.
I can only think of Tuon off the top of my head (and this is a bad example as she can channel), but i'm sure other non-channler's have noticed this. Therefore i don't think it's a talent.
Old 08-20-2010, 04:22 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Does Cadsuane have a new Talent?
Yes, it is called Baiting The Dragon. Egwene also has this Talent, though she is less good at it.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:20 AM
Youngling

iokepa is just really niceiokepa is just really niceiokepa is just really niceiokepa is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
Yes, it is called Baiting The Dragon. Egwene also has this Talent, though she is less good at it.
Heh. Good one.
Old 08-20-2010, 04:04 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
...are there similar descriptions surrounding Moridin when he channels the TP?
Been a while since you read the first three books?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ
TITLE - The Great Hunt
CHAPTER: 47 - The Grave Is No Bar To My Call

When he climbed to his feet, his horse was gone, but Ba'alzamon was still there, striding toward him with a long, black-charred staff in his hands. They were alone, only they and the rolling fog. Behind Ba'alzamon was shadow. The mist was not dark behind him; this blackness excluded the white fog.

Rand felt a calmness beyond that of the void. "I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I'm sure of it. Come. It is time to die."

Ba'alzamon's eyes widened; for an instant they were furnaces that put sweat on Rand's face. The blackness behind Ba'alzamon boiled up around him, and his face hardened. "Then die, worm!" He struck with the staff, as with a spear.

Rand screamed as he felt it pierce his side, burning like a white-hot poker. The void trembled, but he held on with the last of his strength, and drove the heron-mark blade into Ba'alzamon's heart. Ba'alzamon screamed, and the dark behind him screamed. The world exploded in fire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ
TITLE - The Dragon Reborn
CHAPTER: 55 - What is Written in Prophecy

Rand stared up at where the lightning had come from. There was a deeper shadow up there, near the top of the columns, a blackness that made all other shadows look like noonday, and from it, two eyes of fire stared back at him.

Slowly the shadow descended, resolving into Ba'alzamon, clothed in dead black, like a Myrddraal's black. Yet even that was not so dark as the shadow that clung to him. He hung in the air, two spans above the floor, glaring at Rand with a rage as fierce as his eyes. "Twice in this life I have offered you the chance to serve me living." Flames leaped in his mouth as he spoke, and every word roared like a furnace. "Twice you have refused, and wounded me. Now you will serve the Lord of the Grave in death. Die, Lews Therin Kinslayer. Die, Rand al'Thor. It is time for you to die! I take your soul!"

He turned to face Ba'alzamon. The tearing within him had ceased as soon as his hand touched Callandor. Only an instant had passed, yet it seemed to have lasted forever. "You will not take my soul," he shouted. "This time, I mean to finish it once and for all! I mean to finish it now!"

Ba'alzamon fled, man and shadow vanishing.

And then he was in the Heart of the Stone again, stalking through the rubbled gap that had been a wall. Some of the columns hung like broken teeth, now. And Ba'alzamon backed away from him, eyes burning, shadow cloaking him. Black lines like steel wires seemed to run off from Ba'alzamon into the darkness mounding around him, vanishing into unimaginable heights and distances within that blackness.

"I will not be undone!" Ba'alzamon cried. His mouth was fire; his shriek echoed among the columns. "I cannot be defeated! Aid me!" Some of the darkness shrouding him drifted into his hands, formed into a ball so black it seemed to soak up even the light of Callandor. Sudden triumph blazed in the flames of his eyes.

"You are destroyed!" Rand shouted. Callandor spun in his hands. Its light roiled the darkness, severed the steel-black lines around Ba'alzamon, and Ba'alzamon convulsed. As if there were two of him he seemed to dwindle and grow larger at the same time. "You are undone!" Rand plunged the shining blade into Ba'alzamon's chest.

Ba'alzamon screamed, and the fires of his face flared wildly. "Fool!" he howled. "The Great Lord of the Dark can never be defeated!"

Rand pulled Callandor's blade free as Ba'alzamon's body sagged and began to fall, the shadow around him vanishing.
Tuon also noticed Rand's dark aura, and Nynaeve, and others. Elayne noticed Taim's:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ
TITLE - Winter's Heart
PROLOGUE - Snow

Taim strode into the room as though he owned the Palace. She did not need him named. Blue-And-gold Dragons wove round the sleeves of his black coat from elbows to cuffs, in imitation of the Dragons on Randís arms. Though she suspected he would not appreciate the observation. He was tall, nearly as tall as Rand, with a hooked nose and dark eyes like augurs, a physically powerful man who moved with something of a Warderís deadly grace, but shadows seemed to follow him, as if half the lamps in the room had gone out; not real shadows, but an air of imminent violence that seemed palpable enough to soak up light.
Though no one really noticed that until after TGS:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon
HBFFerreira on Twitter - 20 July 2010 2:35 pm
The Gathering Storm: Rand's dark aura was an effect of channeling the True Power, right? Winter's Heart prologue: didn't Taim cast a similar aura?
Brandon - 21 July 12:18 am
You're the first to notice that that I've seen.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:42 PM
Youngling

@Terez - no, I read them last year. I always assumed the stuff from the early books was just something Ishy was doing on purpose...similar to the illusion weaves...

Although I should have caught on when Tuon noticed it. For some reason it didn't stick out to me except with the moment with Cadsuane.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:31 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
@Terez - no, I read them last year. I always assumed the stuff from the early books was just something Ishy was doing on purpose...similar to the illusion weaves...
Did you notice him talking to it?
Old 08-21-2010, 06:46 AM
Youngling

No. I see the obvious now though. It's just the difference between reading it casually and reading it like a Theorylander...

Old 08-21-2010, 08:06 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Well, in theory, Theorylanders do try to read things casually. At least, those that still hope to solve the Asmodean mystery do.
Old 08-21-2010, 04:56 PM
Elder

reTaardad is a jewel in the roughreTaardad is a jewel in the roughreTaardad is a jewel in the roughreTaardad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
Does that make Cadsuane a Master Baiter?
Old 08-21-2010, 05:24 PM
Hero of the Horn

She did indicate that she has never had time for men. And RJ always compared her to a maiden aunt...
Old 08-22-2010, 03:36 AM
Hero of the Horn

Maybe she'll run off with Demandred in the end. That's something neither Rand nor any of his Asha'man would like learning, I think.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:18 AM
Youngling

You know one of the things I love about these books is how easy it is to picture what's going on, thanks to RJ's abillity to describe the scene so well...the imagery is always so easily accessed.

Terez, Gonzo - thanks for making me have an image of Cadsuane I never, ever wanted.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:24 AM
Hero of the Horn

At least we're not talking about Trolloc sex.