art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (2): ekoatleyfred, ShadowbaneX,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - Non Wot Discussion Boards > Archived: Non WoT Related Discussion 09/09 - 9/10
User Name
Password

Old 08-27-2010, 08:02 PM
Hero of the Horn

Firseal has much to be proud ofFirseal has much to be proud ofFirseal has much to be proud ofFirseal has much to be proud ofFirseal has much to be proud ofFirseal has much to be proud ofFirseal has much to be proud ofFirseal has much to be proud ofFirseal has much to be proud ofFirseal has much to be proud ofFirseal has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Firseal
Default Well. This is new.

As long as anyone on this board has known me (with the exception of Frenzy, who knew me in the happy times before) I have been employed at a place that... well. I've refered to it as soul crushing. An erosion of happiness, done entirely for too little money and no real respect. It is a viscious and terrible job, and I am sure you have all heard me complain about it. At some point or another, the fact of working at this abjectly terrible place has come up in many of my discussions.

I turned in my resignation and gave two week notice on Monday, due to the latest affront.

Today, I was fired.

Hell. I wasn't even there today. Neat trick, huh.

Heh.

Anyhow. I've never had a job before that I wasn't hired for. That is, I have never obtained a job by looking for it. I have a degree that's been gathering dust. I have freedom.

Any advice on how to go about job searches, that would be welcome.

Congradulations on getting out of the black hole which has long consumed my happiness and left me more bitter and disillusioned every time I went to work, that would be far more appreciated.

I know I should be worried. But it is hard through the euphoria.

Peace out, everyone.

Free at last
Free at last
Thank God Almighty
We are free at last

"You don't have to convince me you have a point. You have to convince me you have a viable one."

"A candle at noon means nothing
A candle at midnight, everything."
Old 08-27-2010, 08:26 PM
Hero of the Horn

Ivhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Ivhon Send a message via Yahoo to Ivhon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firseal View Post
As long as anyone on this board has known me (with the exception of Frenzy, who knew me in the happy times before) I have been employed at a place that... well. I've refered to it as soul crushing. An erosion of happiness, done entirely for too little money and no real respect. It is a viscious and terrible job, and I am sure you have all heard me complain about it. At some point or another, the fact of working at this abjectly terrible place has come up in many of my discussions.

I turned in my resignation and gave two week notice on Monday, due to the latest affront.

Today, I was fired.

Hell. I wasn't even there today. Neat trick, huh.

Heh.

Anyhow. I've never had a job before that I wasn't hired for. That is, I have never obtained a job by looking for it. I have a degree that's been gathering dust. I have freedom.

Any advice on how to go about job searches, that would be welcome.

Congradulations on getting out of the black hole which has long consumed my happiness and left me more bitter and disillusioned every time I went to work, that would be far more appreciated.

I know I should be worried. But it is hard through the euphoria.

Peace out, everyone.

Free at last
Free at last
Thank God Almighty
We are free at last
First up....congrats on getting out of the misery-inducing job. Sometimes we have to be forced out of the paycheck trap.

I dont take my career counseling class until the spring, but I can throw out a bone or two

For me, there were a two things that put me on the path away from unsatisfying job to new career. I paid pretty close attention to what the people who know and love me best said that I should be doing. I also saw a career counselor (which I dont think is necessary) and took some personality inventories to match personality/interests with job sectors and descriptions (which I do think are invaluable tools). Im not at home right now, but when I get back Ill post a couple free/cheap resources that are also fairly reliable.

Proud owner of the first post on TL's VBulletin forum (sorry...I had ta )

Greeter Emeritus
Old 08-27-2010, 08:33 PM
Hero of the Horn

tworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to tworiverswoman

I'm going to offer congrats (I think that works, somehow) on finally taking the plunge (and then getting kicked off the end of the high-dive board - that's cold...) but I'm going to have to be the rude one and ask why in hell you waited so long and suffered so long before you did so!
"once I'm naked, i can't get any cooler!" - Camel

Back in my day Pluto was a planet!
Old 08-27-2010, 08:33 PM
Hero of the Horn

ShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond repute

The advice I have is: avoid placement agencies.

That's about it.

I'm interested to hear why they fired you when you were going to resign in two weeks, but I can understand why you might not want to share that.

Again, congrats on having your soul returned to you.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:42 PM
Hero of the Horn

Sinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Sinistrum

A couple of things I learned from my job hunt. First off, cast as wide a net as humanly possible. It took me 11 months and over 130 resumes to get my current job and I applied to a lot of places that practices areas of law I had zero interest in, a lot of geographic areas I had no interest in living, and a couple of places that had absolutely no use for a law degree. If nothing else it will get you useful interview experience.

Secondly, be patient. Getting the job you really want takes time, and a lot of it given the current economic conditions.

Thirdly, use any and all connections you have to your advantage and be completely shameless about it. Connections make job hunting so much easier and my lack of them is why it took me so long.

Finally, if you do get an interview, try to show genuine enthusiasm for the job position you are interviewing. In my case, I have absolutely no doubt that my stated desire to get trial experience and lots of it contributed to the call back I received last year.

People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome. - River Tam
Old 08-27-2010, 11:00 PM
Elder

Yellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to behold

i got my current job because i networked and got to know the two guys that ended up hiring me. and also because their company had a contract doing work that i had a lot of expertise in, and their firm didn't have anyone as knowledgeable in my particular field as me. they got the contract thru some contacts, then had problems knowing how to do the work efficiently.

in this economy, getting a job really is all about knowing the right people, and being in the right place, at the right time. other than that, i don't know anybody that has gotten a job any other way in the last two years.

so hit the street and get to know some people in the field you want to get into.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:03 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowbaneX View Post
The advice I have is: avoid placement agencies.

That's about it.

I'm interested to hear why they fired you when you were going to resign in two weeks, but I can understand why you might not want to share that.

Again, congrats on having your soul returned to you.
I've known people that got fired the moment they gave their 2 weeks...some managers are pretty vindictive in that sense. Upside is now you can claim unemployment from them with no issues for the next 99 weeks. Pretty stupid move on their part.

Advice: Focus your resume to each job you put out...dont just use the same one for a bunch of different jobs. Second advice: Take a week off and relax before you do anything. Go file for unemployment, get your resume ready if it isn't already and decide what you want to do and where you're willing to move.

And congrats from leaving hell.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 08-27-2010, 11:06 PM
Hero of the Horn

Frenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Frenzy Send a message via Yahoo to Frenzy

About time, Firseal. But you knew that already.

"How the hell do you Godwin a thread with CUCUMBERS!!?" -- Tru

"I love cucumber prawn... " -- Ivhon

"Have to catch me first. Scared shitless always outruns mad as hell." -- Sinistrum

"Some days I'm happy Frenzy doesn't live next door." -- Tamyrlin

"So Frenzy is a scientist then?" -- Davian
"Well duh. An Evil scientist. " -- Khoram
Old 08-29-2010, 12:59 AM
Hero of the Horn

Firseal has much to be proud ofFirseal has much to be proud ofFirseal has much to be proud ofFirseal has much to be proud ofFirseal has much to be proud ofFirseal has much to be proud ofFirseal has much to be proud ofFirseal has much to be proud ofFirseal has much to be proud ofFirseal has much to be proud ofFirseal has much to be proud of

Everyone is suggesting I use contacts and connections, but the best ones I have are either likely to land me in teaching, want me to do more retail (shudder), or would require me gaining security clearance.

Though it might be cool to work for the CIA...

"You don't have to convince me you have a point. You have to convince me you have a viable one."

Old 08-29-2010, 01:04 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firseal View Post
Though it might be cool to work for the CIA...
And now you can't. Their website says you're not supposed to tell anyone that you are even considering employment with them. And don't think you can hide...
Old 08-29-2010, 01:20 AM
Hero of the Horn

ShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond repute

The Canadian government gave me secret clearance. If that's possible it's not beyond the realm of possibility that the US will give you something similar. Usually you need some company to arrange that though. I suppose that might be one thing that Placement Agencies are good for.

However, in the past 3 years or so I've been called for exactly one position from a temp agency, it was for one day, an emergency fill-in and of course, it happened to be when our phones were out.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:23 AM
Hero of the Horn

Ivhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Ivhon Send a message via Yahoo to Ivhon

Connections don't have to be in the industry you are looking to get into...they just have to know somebody in that industry.

"Hey Joe Banker from College, Im switching careers and I was thinking of getting into the CIA, but I don't know anybody in the agency...or at least I don't think I do, hehe. You don't happen to know someone there I could talk to, do you?"

"Why yes. I did postgrad work with the DDI. Here is his number, feel free to drop my name."

EDIT: Don't ask your first industry contact for a job. That person should be a mentor-type to help you find a job in that industry. Idea is that people generally are quite willing to put energy into helping someone out - makes them feel good about themselves - but feel pressure when THEY have to be the one that gives out the job. So you want one person who knows the business to be feeling good about him/herself as s/he loads you up with contacts and pointers - and then you put the pressure on other people to give you the job.

Proud owner of the first post on TL's VBulletin forum (sorry...I had ta )

Greeter Emeritus

Last edited by Ivhon; 08-29-2010 at 09:28 AM.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:33 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Waterboarding your future CIA boss may not be a good idea, though. So you have to think a bit about exactly how much pressure you want to put on prospective employers.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:14 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowbaneX View Post
The Canadian government gave me secret clearance. If that's possible it's not beyond the realm of possibility that the US will give you something similar. Usually you need some company to arrange that though. I suppose that might be one thing that Placement Agencies are good for.

However, in the past 3 years or so I've been called for exactly one position from a temp agency, it was for one day, an emergency fill-in and of course, it happened to be when our phones were out.
To work for CIA, you need a Top Secret clearance with SCI access and be able to pass a full life-style polygraph prior to employment and any time afterward that they feel the urge to conduct one. Its quite the indepth process.

Undergoing a Poly is one of the less fun things on earth.

Sample questions:

"Davian, have you ever had sex with an animal?"

"No"

"Are you sure...even masturbated with one?"

"No, really, never done it."

"Its okay if you have, you can tell me"

"No, seriously, never happened."

That was an excerpt from my first Poly...fun times.

So basically, DT would fail.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 08-30-2010, 01:43 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
So basically, DT would fail.
No he wouldn't. He'd pass with flying colors; he knows when to be honest.

Now, the interviewer's face afterwards... That'd be interesting.

Old 08-30-2010, 03:13 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

hmm... firstly, congrats on leaving the hellhole.

secondly, what Ivhon said.

Thirdly, dunno how popular LinkedIn is in the States - it's basically a Facebook-like thing but for business contacts. For searching a job it can be really awesome... only problem is, when you already have a job and all your bosses are on your LinkedIn contacts, they'll know immediately if you start looking around for a new job although I suppose you can say that you're just expanding your business contacts network.

Fourthly, never put someone you didn't get along with at your previous work as a reference on your CV. Seems like a no-brainer but you wouldn't believe how many people do that. If you can't put anyone from your previous company as reference, maybe there's a customer you know was really happy with your work...

Also, never say you left your last work because they were intent on torturing you to death. The next company will think you're hard to work with and/or indiscrete.

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill

Last edited by yks 6nnetu hing; 08-30-2010 at 08:44 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-30-2010, 08:01 AM
Hero of the Horn

Yes, its smarter to say, "I am looking for a new challenge" or "I wanted to expand my area of expertise in a new direction" or some other suitabably canned answer.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:13 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

or, in your case "the old job (was good but) had too little to do with my education - I want to further myself in that area."

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Old 08-30-2010, 08:13 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by yks 6nnetu hing View Post
or, in your case "the old job (was good but) had nothing to do with my education - I want to further myself in that area."
Yeah, that's a good one.

Old 08-30-2010, 11:09 AM
Hero of the Horn

Mort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Mort

The employers usually put a lot of weight in not just getting the employees that has the right kind of skill and experience, but it is equally important that they know you as an individual, that you can be trusted etc. So a tip could be that if you don't get the "dream job" you're looking for, consider taking a job at a place that has those kinds of positions, but maybe no openings atm.

After you've been hired and worked there for a time, your chances of landing another position there will be much much higher since you are already known to them. Get a foot in the door so to speak. Granted that you make a good impression that is

In this economy, beggars can't be choosers

Good luck with the job hunt!

Off topic: Can someone explain to me why all the thread titles turned from Orange/red to blue all of a sudden?

"I discovered at an early age that if I talk long enough, I can make anything right or wrong. So either I am God, or truth is relative." - Jeff Winger, Community
----------

We rode on the winds of the rising storm, we ran to the sounds of thunder.
We danced among the lighting bolts, and tore the world asunder.

Last edited by Mort; 08-30-2010 at 11:12 AM.