art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - Non Wot Discussion Boards > Archived: Non WoT Related Discussion 09/09 - 9/10
User Name
Password

Old 09-03-2010, 02:51 PM
Hero of the Horn

Brita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond repute
Default Decisions, decisions- for real this time

OK- in the New Year I posted about my hopes to go part time. I waffled between accepting a part time job that was offered to me or staying on the promises of part time work in my current field.

I passed on the part time job, deciding to wait it out.

Now, I have been offered two great positions.

One is the job my boss had promised me months ago. The posting closes today. I guess I haven't had the official job offer yet, but between her and I she has told me she has every intention of giving it to me. This will be an administrative position.

The other is in the Cancer Centre as a float nurse. I have been officially offered this job. I have to let them know by Wednesday.

Now, Job # 1 is a career moving job, full of challenge and accomplishment. It is flexible in hours. BUT it is non-union, pays less and there will be very high expectations. There is no patient contact (purely administrative).The whole program is in it's beginning stages, is hard funded and is not entirely stable in it's future.

Job # 2 is a secure, union position. I will make more money for significantly less stress. I will get back to the roots of nursing for a while, which I sorely miss. I will keep my seniority and all the advantage that gives me. BUT I will probably be bored, it has no flexibility in hours and is 10 steps back in my career (to be honest, it hurts my pride a bit).

This is what I am thinking: I can launch a more agressive career at any time. I have a great resume and no burned bridges. Right now, I want to focus on my family and on myself. I can pour my creative and organizational talents into my own interests, like writing a book or applying for grants for my own patient based programs. I am leaning towards Job # 2. Which, btw, is the one I've actually been offered. There is a very slight chance I could turn down Job #2, and find out some amazing talent applied for the other one that my boss just couldn't turn down.

Anyway, I have hashed this over and over in my mind, and as usual TL is functioning again as my own personal diary. Any thoughts are more than welcome. I love a diary that will talk back

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. ― Anthony Bourdain
Old 09-03-2010, 04:00 PM
Inbred, Ugly, and Drunk on Corn Liquor

Sei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brita View Post
OK- in the New Year I posted about my hopes to go part time. I waffled between accepting a part time job that was offered to me or staying on the promises of part time work in my current field.

I passed on the part time job, deciding to wait it out.

Now, I have been offered two great positions.

One is the job my boss had promised me months ago. The posting closes today. I guess I haven't had the official job offer yet, but between her and I she has told me she has every intention of giving it to me. This will be an administrative position.

The other is in the Cancer Centre as a float nurse. I have been officially offered this job. I have to let them know by Wednesday.

Now, Job # 1 is a career moving job, full of challenge and accomplishment. It is flexible in hours. BUT it is non-union, pays less and there will be very high expectations. There is no patient contact (purely administrative).The whole program is in it's beginning stages, is hard funded and is not entirely stable in it's future.

Job # 2 is a secure, union position. I will make more money for significantly less stress. I will get back to the roots of nursing for a while, which I sorely miss. I will keep my seniority and all the advantage that gives me. BUT I will probably be bored, it has no flexibility in hours and is 10 steps back in my career (to be honest, it hurts my pride a bit).

This is what I am thinking: I can launch a more agressive career at any time. I have a great resume and no burned bridges. Right now, I want to focus on my family and on myself. I can pour my creative and organizational talents into my own interests, like writing a book or applying for grants for my own patient based programs. I am leaning towards Job # 2. Which, btw, is the one I've actually been offered. There is a very slight chance I could turn down Job #2, and find out some amazing talent applied for the other one that my boss just couldn't turn down.

Anyway, I have hashed this over and over in my mind, and as usual TL is functioning again as my own personal diary. Any thoughts are more than welcome. I love a diary that will talk back

You want an opinion, I got lots.

I would take the job that makes you more comfortable. I had several reasons for doing what I now do.

1) I was sick and tired of the work. It was getting fishy and I wasn't about to take the blame for a lot of the things that were happening no matter how good the money was.

2) My old employer wasn't stable. I had to go to the liquor store and cash my checks because I had so many bounce after they had gone into my checking account. I needed a job that was consistent and stable. I can take a lot of stress, but I can't take the stress of wondering if my job will be there tomorrow or if the money will run out and the doors will close and that'll be it. Not a fun way to live.

3) I wanted out of the union. I figure unions are probably different up there than they are down here. I hate unions. I hate unions. I hate unions I'm a huge proponent of not having them around. My union took more from me than I ever got from them. They were slick bastards who spoke a big game and then didn't deliver to us (they did get their piece though). They lied to us. Our dues were awful and the harassment from the "dignitaries" (thug bastards with big muscles and bad attitudes) was more than I could take. I made a lot of enemies when I left, with my old employer, who canned me when I gave my notice, and from the union who wanted me to continue to pay dues for the rest of the year even though I wasn't working for them (they still have a claim saying that I owe them contractually agreed upon dues. If you're fired, the dues are supposed to be null and void. I was fired and they didn't like it. Instead of going after my boss, who was and is a very powerful man, they go after me. Fuck a bunch of union. I've said that to their face and been in their face too many times to be concerned with them anymore. Did I mention I hate unions?) Anyway, don't let something like that shade your decision. You can live without a union if that's the way you choose to go.

4) Go with what makes you happy. I make significantly less money now than I did. Around 40 grand a year less. I'm happy. I don't have nearly the stress problems I had. I go to work everyday and sometimes I even look forward to it.

5) Before you make the decision, weigh the stresses of both jobs. Are you going to come home happy or stressed and worried? Will the kids/husband/family avoid you because you suck to be around after being at work? That's the kind of thing you need to look at and ask your family about.

I know that doesn't help much, but there's something in there somewhere.

When are we gonna play Words with Friends?

www.buckeyestation.com look at it, love it, share it with your friends!
Old 09-03-2010, 04:05 PM
Elder

nameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant future

Tell your boss that career options are time-sensitive and you'll need some kind of offer in writing for job #1. If you don't get that by Wednesday then for all practical purposes job #1 isn't a real job.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:30 PM
Elder

Basel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant future

What ST and nameless said.

I also had an offer for a job which would have been a step forward, but the market for geriatric psych units is growing like a bitch and there is all sorts of open/close/buyout stuff going on. I could have made $5000 more a year and had better insurance, but the flexibility, stability, and seniority in my current job kept me. I work for a good organization and folks that will be flexible with you when you need it is priceless, but that is what I needed. You go with what you need! Good luck!
Old 09-03-2010, 07:04 PM
Hero of the Horn

Brita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the advice guys. It's all good.

Quote:
When are we gonna play Words with Friends?
When are we gonna do what with the what now?

Old 09-03-2010, 07:15 PM

Sei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

When are we gonna do what with the what now?

On my new iphone. It's an app called words with friends. Seitaer is my name, scrabble is my game.

this goes for anyone else. If you want to get your ass kicked, play Brita. If you want to win a few, play me.

Old 09-03-2010, 07:59 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sei'taer View Post
On my new iphone. It's an app called words with friends. Seitaer is my name, scrabble is my game.

this goes for anyone else. If you want to get your ass kicked, play Brita. If you want to win a few, play me.
Well alrighty then. I'm getting my i-pod right now.

Old 09-04-2010, 06:59 AM
Hero of the Horn

Anaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant future

Brita, I wholeheartedly echo what ST said. By the sounds of it, #2 looks to be the better option. Too many people spend too much time in horrible jobs that make their lives miserable. Do you want to be one of them?
Old 09-04-2010, 10:48 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd go with Job #2. Family and actually LIVING are more important than one's career.

Job #2 for me was a Fed position...the one I'm in now basically even after taking it, doing well and getting another higher position. Regardless of all that, I have little stress, I focus on living, I dont stress about taking time off and being with my family (I've taken 9 weeks off for vacation in the last 12 months now, I take every other Friday off as I work 9 hours days the rest of the time and every federal holiday off). It feels like I'm hardly there sometimes.

Take Job 2, you'll be far happier and life isn't about "having the bestest career ever!!!" Seriously TAKE JOB #2!!!

And good luck!

Oh, and though I agree with what Taer said concerning unions, some unions (more white collar ones) aren't really that bad. My federal union (of which I'm not a member) would still help me...Unions, like anyhting else, suck when they have too much power.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot

Last edited by Davian93; 09-04-2010 at 10:51 AM.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:11 AM
Mistress of Novices

Zaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Zaela Sedai Send a message via MSN to Zaela Sedai Send a message via Yahoo to Zaela Sedai Send a message via Skype™ to Zaela Sedai

To be honest I think "Pays more and less stress" is hands down the best option for your family and yourself, simple as that.

We just had a bunch of major decisions in our family too. My husband had worked for a major pest control company and had a lot of oppurtunity to move up through it, as well as a fabulous paycheck. (even entry level bug killers make a good amount of cash LOL). But the flipside was he worked about 80 hours per week in a branch that they needed to turn around and it was an hour from home without traffic.

Not a good job for family at all. Recently he left there to start on his own, its a risk, sure, a friend had actually started it first a couple years ago and while it grew a bit in the three months he's actually been working there its growing immensly. i.e. August last year was $1,500 and August this year was $8,000. It's good numbers in "these times" no pulling a paycheck for a while, but it's worth the risk and great for us family wise. Pray that it flourishes

On my side - I was recently asked to apply for a promotion at work, and to be honest I was shocked considering I am about to leave for 4 months lol. But yay! I was just offered the posistion a week ago, with a good raise and FT work from home. Now mama brings home the bacon.

Anywho - baby needs to come out as I'm getting tired of being preggers.

GOOD LUCK BRITA!

The One, the Original, the ONLY Z
Beware of impostors

In Brandon We Trust
This TL Siren is bonded to Pops, XX, DaiShan and DeiwosTheSkyGod. Allied with Seeker and Guarded by Hopper
General of the Western Border, Valkyrie of the Autumn Storm, Destined Fury
Old 09-04-2010, 04:54 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Dav's mental image of Zae's husband now...

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 09-04-2010, 10:29 PM
Hero of the Horn

Ishara has disabled reputation
Send a message via MSN to Ishara

LOL@Dav

Brita - I'd go with #2 for a couple of reasons:

1. You are one of the most intuitive people I know, and if your gut is telling you to go for #2, it's probably the way to go;

2. In the coming year and a bit, that union job (with ONA) may be safer than you had ever thought it could be. Public sector non-union jobs (like mine) are about to take a HUGE financial hit over the next 3 years, at minimum) to address the provincial budgetary issues. You're more likely to maintain what you've been offered at #2, than you would at #1;

3. #2 is a sure thing, and#1 is not - in my world, that means a LOT;

4. Going back to your roots is never a bad thing, and knowing you, you'll thrive on being in contact with patients again - it will re-energize your love for your work, while allowing you to spend the time with your family that you crave. Also, just think of the mentoring opportunities this kind of role will give you - yes, perhaps a few steps backwards, but the learning and experience you have to offer new nurse is incalculable.

Good luck!!

Rand: You are an insensitive bastard!!!
Mat: And you ruined another hat!

It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by lightening. -- Calvin

"Gee, I wish I could do magic! Maybe I'll try!" --SDog

Official Vixen of Theoryland and Theoryland Siren

Grain Goddess, the Rood Inverse, the Mad Glomper
Old 09-05-2010, 11:21 AM
Hero of the Horn

Zae- congrats on your promotion! How much time do you take off for maternity leave?

Dav- ya- the union has been nothing but a headache for me, but now that I may be leaving their somewhat abusive embrace, I am a little reluctant. Especially in these times. To be able to keep my pension going and seniority intact....ya, that kind of security is hard to leave, even if they slap me around from time to time.

Ishara- girl, you're the best! Next time I come to Toronto, let's get together. It will be October 8th. Are you around then and not too busy with house and wedding plans?

Old 09-05-2010, 11:41 AM
Hero of the Horn

Ishara has disabled reputation
Send a message via MSN to Ishara

Brita, I'm off that day, but will happily come in for a few hours to see you! Let's makes some plans!

Rand: You are an insensitive bastard!!!
Mat: And you ruined another hat!

It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by lightening. -- Calvin

"Gee, I wish I could do magic! Maybe I'll try!" --SDog

Official Vixen of Theoryland and Theoryland Siren

Grain Goddess, the Rood Inverse, the Mad Glomper
Old 09-05-2010, 01:28 PM
Mistress of Novices

Zaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Zaela Sedai Send a message via MSN to Zaela Sedai Send a message via Yahoo to Zaela Sedai Send a message via Skype™ to Zaela Sedai

I'm off for 4 months, thanks to CT state law... but only 6-8 weeks paid Oh well its worth it I start the new job when I get back. I should be going out within the next two weeks... getting kinda hard to work when i can't sit for long periods of time.

LOL @ Dav - Just shave off a 100 lbs lol

Beware of impostors

In Brandon We Trust
This TL Siren is bonded to Pops, XX, DaiShan and DeiwosTheSkyGod. Allied with Seeker and Guarded by Hopper
Old 09-08-2010, 03:30 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by nameless View Post
Tell your boss that career options are time-sensitive and you'll need some kind of offer in writing for job #1. If you don't get that by Wednesday then for all practical purposes job #1 isn't a real job.
Along with all of the rest, I took this advice in particular. My boss said I would be short-listed for job # 1, and she is "Pretty confident who she will offer the job to" (in those exact words). That wasn't enough for me. A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush, as they say. So I have accepted job # 2. I will be telling my boss tomorrow, in person.

Part time, here I come!!!!

Old 09-08-2010, 03:46 PM
Hero of the Horn

Ivhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Ivhon Send a message via Yahoo to Ivhon

Quote:
Along with all of the rest, I took this advice in particular. My boss said I would be short-listed for job # 1, and she is "Pretty confident who she will offer the job to" (in those exact words). That wasn't enough for me. A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush, as they say. So I have accepted job # 2. I will be telling my boss tomorrow, in person.

Yay Brita!

Proud owner of the first post on TL's VBulletin forum (sorry...I had ta )

Greeter Emeritus
Old 09-08-2010, 03:48 PM

Quote:

Way to go! Enjoy it!

Old 09-08-2010, 03:55 PM
Hero of the Horn

Crispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond repute

Awesome! Four more hours a day to spend at Theoryland!
Old 09-08-2010, 04:38 PM
Mistress of Novices

Wait... it was Part Time AND Paid more... where was the hard desicion lol....:P

Beware of impostors

In Brandon We Trust