art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - Non Wot Discussion Boards > Archived: Non WoT Related Discussion 09/09 - 9/10
User Name
Password

Old 09-08-2010, 05:56 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Food Thread, Version 3.1

I made stuffed shells for dinner tonight. I kinda made a bit too much (like one entire large glass cassarole dish and another smaller one for just the two of us...we ate the smaller dish but didn't even touch the larger one) though so I'll be eating it for the next 3 days. That said, it turned out great as usual and I tried something new this time: (instead of sour cream, I used Mascarpone cheese to mix with the ricotta. Made it quite tasty actually.

Your turn...

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 09-08-2010, 06:22 PM
Hero of the Horn

Brita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond repute

Coming from Polish heritage, borscht was always served on special occasions. This weekend I made my first Borscht ever, using fresh veggies from a friend's garden. Using my Bapcia's (Grandma in Polish) hints I managed to make it taste almost like hers.

It turned out quite good for a first try, and is great comfort food in this cool weather.

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. ― Anthony Bourdain
Old 09-08-2010, 06:40 PM
Elder

nameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant future

Mascarpone's a nice touche, but next time try throwing some chevre in there too. It's already the perfect consistency and it adds a really nice tang to the whole mixture.

My most successful dish recently was nectarine chicken fajitas with a tequila glaze. The trick is to turn the heat up right before you throw in the nectarines so they get seared on the outside but stay fresh in the middle.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:43 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nameless View Post
Mascarpone's a nice touche, but next time try throwing some chevre in there too. It's already the perfect consistency and it adds a really nice tang to the whole mixture.

My most successful dish recently was nectarine chicken fajitas with a tequila glaze. The trick is to turn the heat up right before you throw in the nectarines so they get seared on the outside but stay fresh in the middle.
Chevre? I shall have to try it next time.

~has never eaten Borscht...now is curious~

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 09-08-2010, 07:30 PM
Elder

nameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant future

Goat cheese isn't for everybody. I'd put a little bit on toast and see if you like it before throwing it into any recipes. Personally, it's one of my favorite cheeses.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:56 PM
Ancient

Neilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant future

I baked a loaf of rosemary bread yesterday. It's gone now...
Old 09-08-2010, 08:19 PM
Hero of the Horn

Ishara has disabled reputation
Send a message via MSN to Ishara

Mmmm, chevre. I LOVE goat cheese. I keep trying to break up with feta, but alas, it's not meant to be.

Um, we're packing, so the cooking is not so much happening these days, LOL

BUT, we made some pretty kick ass meatballs this weekend!

Rand: You are an insensitive bastard!!!
Mat: And you ruined another hat!

It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by lightening. -- Calvin

"Gee, I wish I could do magic! Maybe I'll try!" --SDog

Official Vixen of Theoryland and Theoryland Siren

Grain Goddess, the Rood Inverse, the Mad Glomper
Old 09-08-2010, 08:22 PM
Inbred, Ugly, and Drunk on Corn Liquor

Sei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond repute

last night we had burritos, tonight it was hot roast beef and chips. Been a lazy week of cooking 'round here.

Do you do beet borscht, Brita? Not much of a fan, but I'd give it a shot.

www.buckeyestation.com look at it, love it, share it with your friends!
Old 09-08-2010, 08:43 PM
Hero of the Horn

Brita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sei'taer View Post
Do you do beet borscht, Brita? Not much of a fan, but I'd give it a shot.
Yes, I got several beets from a friend. Mine was made q
with beef, but it can be just veggies too. A dollop of sour cream adds just the right touch. It's not for everyone though, tis true.

Old 09-09-2010, 05:19 AM
Hero of the Horn

Mort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Mort

One of my favorites is a Taco gratin. Blend philadelphia cream cheese with some creme fraiche (sour cream, about 50/50, maybe slightly more sour cream). Put that as a bottom layer in an oven pan.
Then you fry minced meat (usually do like a pound of meat, usually enough for 4 people, or 3 hungry guys ) with some Taco spices and some crushed tomatoes, chopped leek, an onion and a chopped bell pepper. Mix it all and put it as the second layer in the oven pan.
Then you finish off by covering it all with grated cheese, the fattier the better. Same with the sour creme, no low fat kinds, that will make it all suck.

In the oven, 225 degrees celsius (435 F) until the cheese has a nice brown color. Let it cool. Indulge with some tortilla chips. Enter heaven.

"I discovered at an early age that if I talk long enough, I can make anything right or wrong. So either I am God, or truth is relative." - Jeff Winger, Community
----------

We rode on the winds of the rising storm, we ran to the sounds of thunder.
We danced among the lighting bolts, and tore the world asunder.

Old 09-09-2010, 06:14 AM
Elder

One Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to all

Grilled up some burgers this weekend. Threw diced onions, green peppers and potatoes in with the meat, was quite tasty.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:29 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
I made stuffed shells for dinner tonight. I kinda made a bit too much (like one entire large glass cassarole dish and another smaller one for just the two of us...we ate the smaller dish but didn't even touch the larger one) though so I'll be eating it for the next 3 days. That said, it turned out great as usual and I tried something new this time: (instead of sour cream, I used Mascarpone cheese to mix with the ricotta. Made it quite tasty actually.

Your turn...
Is it grilled cheese in stuffed shells which you will be eating for three days straight?
Old 09-09-2010, 09:21 AM
Elder

Basel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant future

What exactly is in borscht? I've always heard of it, knew it was supposed to have beets, but that's about it. Always love to try new things!
Old 09-09-2010, 09:37 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basel Gill View Post
What exactly is in borscht? I've always heard of it, knew it was supposed to have beets, but that's about it. Always love to try new things!
Create beef broth (simmering beef, 3 litres of water, one onion and dill weed for 1-2 hours). Oh, and make sure to skim the animal fat when the water boils.

Simmer 2 medium beets with 2 large tomatoes (or a can of cubed tomatoes)for one hour. I also cheated and added some OXO. You can add a little water if it's too dry.

Saute carrots and onion in butter. Add to broth. Cook for 5 mins. Add potatoes and/or cabbage. Cook for 10 mins. Add beet mixture and garlic. Cook for five minutes.

Now here is the trick: Add vinegar until it tastes like my bapcia's borcsht. I have had so many bowls of so-called borscht that taste like watery vegetable soup. It is the vinegar that gives it it's unique and delicious taste. My recipe called for 1 tsp of vinegar, but I ended up adding 5 tsp before it tasted right (and my bapcia would say I still need more )

Salt a pepper to taste.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:23 AM
Hero of the Horn

Crispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond repute

I made a beef stew the other night, since it's starting to feel like autumn. Thinking back, I don't believe I've ever actually made beef stew before, which might explain why it wasn't perfect.

Anyway, stew meat, carrots, cabbage, onion, vegetable broth, and a bottle of Black Butte Porter. It was merely OK the first day. The second day and with a little extra salt it was actually really good. I'm having it for lunch today, so we'll see how even more time affects it.

I wish I had a bottle of the porter to drink at work.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:38 AM
Hero of the Horn

I like adding a can of stewed tomatoes to beef stew and some smoked paprika for a bit of kick. I also like adding a small can of corn. I made Beef Stew last weekend and we still have several quarts of it.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:47 AM
Elder

fdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant future

I just bought a blender to make carrot soup, and it was fantastic. I used about two pounds of leftover carrots from my neighbor's garden, and cooked them in an oven for about 30 minutes just when they started to blacken. I sauteed some onion, potato, added chicken broth and cilantro, and then boiled for a while until the potatoes were done. Then I blended everything and got everything else back up to temp, and ate my delicious carrot soup. It was good, although next time I make this I'm going to have to eat it with a thick piece of toast and maybe a dab of sour cream.

The nice thing about making soups is that for an inexperienced and impatient cook like me, they are almost impossible to screw up. I'm almost certainly going to make a stew here within the next week or two, probably around the time of the first frost. Maybe a batch of chili as well. I love fall and winter simply because I have an excuse to eat leftovers for a few days, which is perfect for a bachelor like me!
Old 09-09-2010, 01:21 PM
Elder

Basel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brita View Post
Create beef broth (simmering beef, 3 litres of water, one onion and dill weed for 1-2 hours). Oh, and make sure to skim the animal fat when the water boils.

Simmer 2 medium beets with 2 large tomatoes (or a can of cubed tomatoes)for one hour. I also cheated and added some OXO. You can add a little water if it's too dry.

Saute carrots and onion in butter. Add to broth. Cook for 5 mins. Add potatoes and/or cabbage. Cook for 10 mins. Add beet mixture and garlic. Cook for five minutes.

Now here is the trick: Add vinegar until it tastes like my bapcia's borcsht. I have had so many bowls of so-called borscht that taste like watery vegetable soup. It is the vinegar that gives it it's unique and delicious taste. My recipe called for 1 tsp of vinegar, but I ended up adding 5 tsp before it tasted right (and my bapcia would say I still need more )

Salt a pepper to taste.
Thanks!
Couple of clarifications....do you leave the beef in it? (maybe a stupid question...) also what is OXO??
Old 09-09-2010, 01:30 PM
Elder

bowlwoman has a brilliant futurebowlwoman has a brilliant futurebowlwoman has a brilliant futurebowlwoman has a brilliant futurebowlwoman has a brilliant futurebowlwoman has a brilliant futurebowlwoman has a brilliant futurebowlwoman has a brilliant futurebowlwoman has a brilliant futurebowlwoman has a brilliant futurebowlwoman has a brilliant future

I am attempting to recreate a local restaurant's (Kerbey Lane) tomato pie recipe. They have a summer seasonal menu every year, and I go 2-3 times per week to have the tomato pie.

I made one last weekend, but I overestimated the amount of green onion and fresh basil, underestimated the garlic, and I couldn't ever get the feta to melt on top. Now that I've had it twice this week so far, I've been carefully noting the quantity of stuff, so I'm going to try another pass at it tonight.

If I can get it closer to KL's product, then I'll probably eat the whole darn thing myself.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:54 PM
Hero of the Horn

Crispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdsaf3 View Post

The nice thing about making soups is that for an inexperienced and impatient cook like me, they are almost impossible to screw up.
Hah! I know the anecdote doesn't count, but I once made chicken stew and managed to screw it up. It was edible, but I added way too much black pepper so it completely overpowered everything else.

We were eating for a few minutes, and I said, "Hmm...I think I added a little too much pepper." My father-in-law looked up, chuckled, and said, "Yeah."

Then I kicked him out of my house for insulting the cook.