art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Book 13: Towers of Midnight
User Name
Password

Old 09-10-2010, 02:56 AM
Lord of the Board

Tamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tamyrlin
Default The Great Hunt: "No hint is too obscure for theoryland."

Theorylanders,

The lastest tweet by Brandon Sanderson says, "Note, this clue is filed under "No hint is too obscure for theoryland." The hint is: "Third" #wotgh (More hints on this code will come.)"

Frenzy tweeted back - "Well we eat obscure for breakfast with a side of esoteric & a chaser of arcane!! We'll get back to you soon, Mr. Sanderson! #wotgh ~Frenzy"

Don't let me down - divine this code.

Your humble and somewhat lazy servant,
Tamyrlin

edit: To help divine here are some hints and resources.
"Third"
"Chapter 53"
"The One I Choose". The "I" being Brandon Sanderson
The clue is only two words.
The first three clue are about one of the words.
That word is also "coincidentally" in chapters 1 & 2 of The Eye of the World
"7-7-9" which refers to July 7th, 2009.

Resources:
Brandon Sanderson's Blog from 7-7-09
A list of all the words in common from chapters 1 & 2 of tEotW
Two spreadsheets (first and second) with some analysis of the words from both chapters.

Last edited by Nae'blis; 09-14-2010 at 01:06 PM.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:20 AM
Hero of the Horn

ShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond repute

Reposted from the Failed attempts thread:

So, what "thirds" do we have?
-Third book (both Dragon Reborn and The Dragon Reborn have already been tried),
-third chapters
-third born (as Jana suggests)
-the tripod, ie Rand, Mat & Perrin
-Rand's three women (Min, Avi & Elayne)
-the Destroyer/Ishy
-the third constant, ie Tel'Aran'Rhiod
-Callandor? It's claimed that there are two more powerful sa'angreal that a man could use, that would make Callandor the third.
-The Third Man, ie Noal, to go with Mat & Thom.
-The Third Age, ie as in the end of.
-The Three Oaths.

Last edited by ShadowbaneX; 09-10-2010 at 03:26 AM.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:49 AM
Lord of the Board

Tamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Some ideas about Third and some suggestions for guesses

"The arches [...] face her worst fears, first for what was, second for what is, and third for what will be"

Guesses to try:

For What Was
For What Is
For What Will Be
What Was
What Is
What Will Be

"Everyone was born with two names and could earn the third one only through accomplishment."

Guesses to try: I suggest looking up anyone that got a third name and then striking variations off those names. I tried Last Chance but failed.

"Go to Rhuidean, son of battles! Go to Rhuidean, trickster! Go, gambler! Go!"

Guesses to try: Looks like this one has been hit pretty hard, but would be worth checking into variations.

Slowly making our way down the rabbit hole...
Old 09-10-2010, 03:53 AM
Youngling

ssclafani is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowbaneX View Post
So, what "thirds" do we have?
Morgase took power in the Third Succession War. Perhaps it has to do with her. There should be at least one chapter in ToM that she is the focus of. I already tried the obvious variations of her real name, Maighdin Dorlain and the Third Succession War and all failed.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:58 AM
13th Depository

Linda is a splendid one to beholdLinda is a splendid one to beholdLinda is a splendid one to beholdLinda is a splendid one to beholdLinda is a splendid one to beholdLinda is a splendid one to beholdLinda is a splendid one to beholdLinda is a splendid one to beholdLinda is a splendid one to behold
Default I tried something to do with Rhuidean

Failed Attempts:
In Rhuidean
To Rhuidean
Rhuidean
Through the Glass Columns
The Ancient Dream (not sure if this one went through or not).
Old 09-10-2010, 04:23 AM
13th Depository

Linda is a splendid one to beholdLinda is a splendid one to beholdLinda is a splendid one to beholdLinda is a splendid one to beholdLinda is a splendid one to beholdLinda is a splendid one to beholdLinda is a splendid one to beholdLinda is a splendid one to beholdLinda is a splendid one to behold
Default Ok, more thirds from my Number Symbolism essay

The Third Age

Mat's entry to the TOwer of Ghenjei will be his third visit.

They grant three wishes and three answers

Three times makes true
Old 09-10-2010, 04:23 AM
Elder

jana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond repute

Editing to add what I said in previous thread - My first thought is that it's something to do with Moridin, but that seems too obvious.

I also know that Brandon likes Orson Scott Card (Ender Wiggin's a Third), and he's quoted on the cover of WoK, but that's not related to WoT enough. Or maybe it is, since Harriet edited Ender's Game. (as someone just reminded me).

Here are some quotes from the books (I feel like a giant nerd):

Mat just smiled. One of the nearby tables had a dice game going. Looked like Cat's Paw—or, at least, that's what it had been called the night Mat had first been taught it. They called it Third Gem in Ebou Dar, and he'd heard it called Feathers Aloft in Cairhien. It was the perfect game for his purposes. There was only one dicer in the game, with the crowd of onlookers betting against or for his tosses.

I record a third of the punishments in a month that Sheriam did -Silviana

No one liked sewers, yet they were one-third of the life's blood of a city, the other two being trade and clean water.

"Yes. Honorable," Tylee said respectfully.
When I saw that she was of the Third Rank-only two steps below a Hand to the Empress herself, may she live forever- I was sure we wouldn't get away with more than a few hundred pounds if that."
(Seanchan of 3rd rank are called honorable. I don't recall any other Seanchan being called that)

Tell me if you can. what mistakes did Shein Chunla make that caused the Third War of Garen's Wall?
"Shein didn't make any mistakes," Egwene said slowly.

Third Rise (in the White Tower)

Last edited by jana; 09-10-2010 at 08:06 AM.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:34 AM
Youngling

Raven is an unknown quantity at this point

Tried - failed -

What Will be
For what will be
Old 09-10-2010, 04:40 AM
Youngling

The Seeker will become famous soon enough

Failed attempts
the third son
the third question
the third answer
the third wish
the third request
Old 09-10-2010, 06:17 AM
Dragonmount Admin

Luckers is just really niceLuckers is just really niceLuckers is just really niceLuckers is just really niceLuckers is just really niceLuckers is just really nice

I'm thinking about the old Third Man theories--as in who was the Third man in rands head.

Moridin. And, more specifically, issues related to their link.

Obscure theory [he did mention theoryland specifically] about 'third'--fits.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:36 AM
Elder

jana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond repute

I think I see what you're saying. The third guy in Rand's head was never actually referred to as the third guy in Rand's head in the books, right? He was just "the other one" or something like that. The problem is, we've already tried lots of phrases that have to do with Moridin. It's also an extremely well known theory, I think.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:38 AM
13th Depository

Default Another third

I wonder if it is a follow on of the third TOM chapter title: Questioning Intentions.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:53 AM
Dragonmount Admin

Luckers is just really niceLuckers is just really niceLuckers is just really niceLuckers is just really niceLuckers is just really niceLuckers is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jana View Post
I think I see what you're saying. The third guy in Rand's head was never actually referred to as the third guy in Rand's head in the books, right? He was just "the other one" or something like that. The problem is, we've already tried lots of phrases that have to do with Moridin. It's also an extremely well known theory, I think.
Elements specific to the link, though, might be an interesting permutation.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:22 AM
Youngling

The Mardy Asha'man is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 'third' clue suggestions

Scanning the second report, she grimaced. No one liked sewers, yet they were one-third of the life's blood of a city, the other two being trade and clean water

A third time the world rippled, harder still, and as it passed through her. she felt as if she might blow away in a breeze, or simply dissipate in a mist. Breathing hard, she waited for the fourth ripple, the one she knew would destroy her and everything else. When it did not come, she expelled every bit of air in her lungs from relief. "What just happened, Wise One? What was that?"

"Are you any relation to Jain?" Noal raised his hands in a placating gesture. "Peace, man. I believe you. It's just, that tops anything I ever did. Anything Jain ever did, too. Would you mind if I made the third? I can be handy in tight spots, you know."

Charlz Guybon's. Sitting a tall bay with his helmet resting on the saddlebow, he bowed to her, a broad smile on his lips. The man was a pleasure to look at. Perhaps he would do for a third Warder (tried a third warder)

After the death and destruction of the War of the Hundred Years, a third calendar was devised by Uren din Jubai Soaring Gull, a scholar of the Sea Folk, and promulgated by the Panarch Farede of Tarabon. The Farede Calendar, dating from the arbitrarily decided end of the War of the Hundred Years and recording years of the New Era (NE), is currently in use. (already tried new era and a new era)

Now the Tower had divided itself neatly into rough thirds, one third for Egwene, one for Elaida, and one that was standing aside. If those last were in contact with one another, exchanging information - forming plans? - the implications. . . .

Some things with third in make of them what you will

Last edited by The Mardy Asha'man; 09-10-2010 at 07:52 AM.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:49 AM
Youngling

Windstalker is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe it's not to do with "thirds" in the book, but a hint on where to look? On Brandon Sanderson's site, there's a link to a podcast "Third Person Limited", done three days ago. It could also mean the missing word on the guesslist.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:12 AM
Elder

I just lol'd. I don't think we're any closer with all of this than we were when it started, since there are so many things it could be.

We need to remember that "obscure" is the most important part, though. If it's something a casual fan could figure out then we're on the wrong track.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:49 AM
Hero of the Horn

WinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to WinespringBrother

another third for the likely flood of novices to be raised to accepted: where they wear their rings...

also, third refusal means being put out of the tower

maybe Nicola will get raised and see some interesting possibilities in the rings

ETA: maybe this "obscure" fact could be related to the detail we have been searching for.

"Oh, y'all [Theorylanders] are awesome with awesome sauce, but you ask a lot of tricky questions. I had to watch myself with you guys." - Maria

"I need to RAFO more things, I'm not being very Robert Jordan..." - Brandon

Last edited by WinespringBrother; 09-10-2010 at 09:05 AM.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:05 AM
Hero of the Horn

Anaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant future

I keep wanting to play some sort of word association game here.. but all I keep coming up with for some reason is Twice and twice, which is definitely not Third.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:07 AM
Youngling

nalesean is an unknown quantity at this point

This could involve the snake & foxes chant for 'finnland.

"Courage to strengthen, fire to blind, music to dazzle, iron to bind." LoC,Ch22

The third item would be music to dazzle. Of course I know a lot of permutations of this chant has been already tried... It still could be related even if the wording is different...

Just a thought,

Trae

Last edited by nalesean; 09-10-2010 at 10:11 AM.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:56 AM
Lord of the Board

Default Couple of things to note

Depending on how long Brandon worked on this particular clue, there are some oddities about it.

First: "Note, this clue is filed under" - why phrase it so? It's twitter and words matter. Why use "Note" and "filed under"?

Second, then he quotes "No hint is too obscure for theoryland." Are we supposed to be thinking about folders/sections? Is this a case of obvious to the casual observer?

Third: he capitalizes the word Third. (Yeah, not sure, just thought I'd note it.)