art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - Non Wot Discussion Boards > Archived: Non WoT Related Discussion 09/09 - 9/10
User Name
Password

Old 09-11-2010, 09:44 AM
Hero of the Horn

Ivhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Ivhon Send a message via Yahoo to Ivhon
Default Happy Moral Narcissism Day!

Don't forget to get your handsomely engraved "Never Forget" souveni....err...memorial plates. Remember - the Franklin Mint places a strict limit of five plates per customer.

But wait! If you call in the next 15 minutes we'll send you this powerful "Never Forget" t-shirt ABSOLUTELY FREE!! With stunning symbolic digital images of the American Flag, the proud American Eagle and the twin towers standing tall, this testament to the greatest tragedy to befall this or any nation will be sure to advert....err...remind everyone you see that for YOU, 9/11 will always be just like yesterday....

Order now! Operators are standing by!

Proud owner of the first post on TL's VBulletin forum (sorry...I had ta )

Greeter Emeritus
Old 09-11-2010, 01:21 PM
Hero of the Horn

Sinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Sinistrum

This is an incredibly shitty thing for you to post Ivhon. No matter your disdain for those who take advantage of things like 9-11 for their own gain, its still a day in which 3000 people died. You might as well have found one of their head stones and taken a piss on it. Show some goddamn respect. What you've posted here makes you no better than the people you are criticizing because all your doing is using it to score cheap political points. And that is the height of moral narcicism.

People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome. - River Tam
Old 09-11-2010, 02:08 PM
Hero of the Horn

Jokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Jokeslayer

How many wolves are on this t-shirt? If it's not at least two I won't be buying one.
Old 09-11-2010, 02:11 PM
Ancient

Neilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant future

Yes Ivon, don't you realize that we live in a post 9-11 world where everything must be taken seriously, no matter how wrongheaded and idiotic?
Old 09-11-2010, 02:39 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokeslayer View Post
How many wolves are on this t-shirt? If it's not at least two I won't be buying one.
Without at least 3 wolves, the t-shirt is powerless. Trust me, I bought a 2 wolves t-shirt a few weeks ago and its useless.

This is my favorite of what Ivhon is referencing.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 09-11-2010, 02:42 PM
Lord of the Board

Tamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tamyrlin
Default Is this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
Real?
Old 09-11-2010, 02:57 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes Tam...Yes it is. You've never seen that infomercial before? It used to be on all the time late at night a few years back.

Pretty sick, isn't it?

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 09-11-2010, 03:05 PM
Hero of the Horn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zmRdyRdWyM

Here you go Tam...here's the commercial.

Old 09-11-2010, 05:40 PM
Hero of the Horn

Ivhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinistrum View Post
This is an incredibly shitty thing for you to post Ivhon. No matter your disdain for those who take advantage of things like 9-11 for their own gain, its still a day in which 3000 people died. You might as well have found one of their head stones and taken a piss on it. Show some goddamn respect. What you've posted here makes you no better than the people you are criticizing because all your doing is using it to score cheap political points. And that is the height of moral narcicism.
You're very emotional.

Read my post again and tell me where I profane the actual event, the people who died or their families or friends. I took shots at people - from all political spectrums, btw - who live in east bumble***** have zero connection to NYC or anyone living there beyond the 24 hour news cycle and yet feel compelled every year to let the world know how much of a personal tragedy it was in their lives while never saying anything about any other tragedies. Presumably if they are so resonant with tragedy that has no direct impact on their personal lives they would be pouring their hearts out every year in rememberance of Katrina, or the Tsunami, or the Federal building, or God knows an constant outpouring of heartfelt tragedy over the bombs and missiles that destroy buildings and innocent people on a daily basis in the Middle East.

Perhaps you and I simply differ on what constitutes pissing on the tombstones.

Greeter Emeritus
Old 09-11-2010, 06:16 PM
Hero of the Horn

Sinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Sinistrum

You want to take shots at people like that? Fine. Do it some other day. Otherwise you're not better than any of them because your using today to your advantage to push your political agenda without any thought to those afore mentioned victims or their families. That is where you profaned their memory and their pain. Its not about what you said, but when you decided to say it. This, like Pearl Harbor day or MLK day, or Presidents Day before it, should be a national day of remembrance for what this country has had to sacrifice to get where it is today. It should not be taken advantage of by political hacks to give them an opportunity to snipe at their enemies. And yes Ivhon, I'm looking directly at you when I say that.

People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome. - River Tam
Old 09-11-2010, 06:32 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
You want to take shots at people like that? Fine. Do it some other day. Otherwise you're not better than any of them because your using today to your advantage to push your political agenda without any thought to those afore mentioned victims or their families. That is where you profaned their memory and their pain. Its not about what you said, but when you decided to say it. This, like Pearl Harbor day or MLK day, or Presidents Day before it, should be a national day of remembrance for what this country has had to sacrifice to get where it is today. It should not be taken advantage of by political hacks to give them an opportunity to snipe at their enemies. And yes Ivhon, I'm looking directly at you when I say that.
Preach the Gospel, Brother!

We will have to simply disagree here. I will say that I am sorry that my being offended offended you and leave it there.

Greeter Emeritus
Old 09-11-2010, 07:06 PM
Ancient

Neilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant future

Quote:
This, like Pearl Harbor day or MLK day, or Presidents Day before it, should be a national day of remembrance for what this country has had to sacrifice to get where it is today. It should not be taken advantage of by political hacks to give them an opportunity to snipe at their enemies.
I love this sentence pairing.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:54 PM
Hero of the Horn

Dragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Dragon Thief

Ivhon's got the right of it here, IMNSHO. People have to be able to separate the idiots who abuse 9/11 from the day itself. And complaining about those people doesn't lessen Ivhon's respect for the event any more than a cop who pulls a speeder over today would. And 90% of America who acts patriotic today is fake anyways, it's the patriotic equivalent of organized religion for a day.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:14 PM
Elder

nameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant future

Seriously. The collapse of the towers was just as tragic yesterday and it will be just as tragic tomorrow.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:19 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:

How is his post a "political point"?

BTW, your faux outrage is a bit over the top.

Old 09-12-2010, 04:44 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Sinistrum, you want to see a difference between what Ivhon wrote and really showing disdain?

A grand total of one (count them, 1) person died in those attacks. All the others are irrelevant. You may wonder how I reach that count?
Well, first of all, it happened on US soil. Second, the US courts have decided that according to US law, non-US citizens are not persons as the US Constitution meeans the term. Now, as you know, I am a Dutch citizen, not an American one. So, for me, only humans from the Netherlands would deserve the honorific "person".

Don't like that? Quite a nice, liberal, sentiment. Think it is cheapening the deaths of all those victims? You are damn right about that. But that is what the American voters, and particularly the right wing (the majority, I admit) have decided: they have chosen to side with the terrorists and oppose liberty and justice for all. That is the real legacy of 9/11.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:24 AM
Hero of the Horn

Jokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
sacrifice
No.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:41 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

A bonus question to the story in the link of my previous post:
Which other countries should be allowed to get away with "national security is involved, so human rights do not matter", and for which countries would you consider that unacceptable?

I would say that no country at all has the right to ignore the "right not to be tortured", the "right not to be kidnapped" and the "right to be heard in court when the government has wronged you".
But, referring to 9/11 and the memories of the victims thereof, lots of countries are now saying that the Western freedoms are less important than letting the government do whatever it wants to do in secret.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:57 PM
Ancient

Quote:
This, like Pearl Harbor day or MLK day, or Presidents Day before it, should be a national day of remembrance for what this country has had to sacrifice to get where it is today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokeslayer View Post
No.
Africans Native Americans immigrants and the poor? Honor and decency?
Old 09-12-2010, 02:42 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilbert View Post
Africans Native Americans immigrants and the poor? Honor and decency?
What?

EDIT: Oh, that's a list of things that have been sacrificed, is it? I have no idea what that has to do with my point but OK.