art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (1): ShadowbaneX,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > General "Other" Books Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 09-19-2010, 03:14 AM
Lord of the Board

Tamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tamyrlin
Default So - what series do you want to discuss?

I've heard some requests for The Way of Kings. What other series have followings that they'd like to see listed in this section?
Old 09-19-2010, 04:19 PM
Hero of the Horn

Nazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond repute

Discworld.
Lord Captain Commander of Singing Chipmunks
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 09-19-2010, 07:08 PM
Youngling

Artur pendragon will become famous soon enough

Malazan book of the Fallen

The Way of Kings

Last edited by Artur pendragon; 09-19-2010 at 08:35 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:19 PM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future
Default Active series I'm following

Pern: Anne McCaffrey and being expanded by her son Todd.

Safehold: David Weber

Honor Harrington (Honorverse): David Weber (and other contributors)

Ring of Fire: Shared universe created and managed by Eric Flint. (1632 et seq)

(Now if I could just figure out which questions they go to. )

I met you in a past life. You were wrong then, too.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:33 AM
Lord of the Board

Tamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cool - Okay, now what are thoughts about how to pick the books for specific forums?

I'd like sub forums for book series, but I can't add every single one, especially if they don't garner much discussion. So, what should be the methodology? Should we make a poll and a series must get five votes to get it's own forum? Any other thoughts?
Old 09-20-2010, 12:39 AM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamyrlin View Post
I'd like sub forums for book series, but I can't add every single one, especially if they don't garner much discussion. So, what should be the methodology? Should we make a poll and a series must get five votes to get it's own forum? Any other thoughts?
Any book or series that garners 100 (on-topic) posts in the base forum, either in one thread or in multiple threads, gets its own sub-forum?

Old 09-20-2010, 12:50 AM
Lord of the Board

Default Yeah - it's tough

Because of the potential spoilerish nature of every post for those that haven't read the series. I imagine a hundred posts would make it difficult to not have some things ruined, unless we create individual threads for each series to start their conversations. If those threads get to a hundred posts, they get their own forum? I guess I like that. Seems like a decent way.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:19 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

could do based on the author rather than the series - there are authors who are known only for one series but there are also authors (such as Sanderson will be) who are known for more than one book or series.

My suggestions:
Brandon Sanderson
Guy Gavriel Kay
Robin Hobb
George R.R. Martin (if he ever continues writing)
Steven Erikson

and then one Generic Sci-Fi and Fantasy
and one for Everything Else

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Old 09-20-2010, 04:40 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

My suggestion is this:

Have a subforum specifically for Brandon's books within this one, and the rest dedicated to whatever other books. I doubt any of the rest of them will garner all that much discussion here (though I could be wrong). Lots of people might drop suggestions for their favorite authors, but do they really have much to say about the books?

I'm only a few chapters through TWOK, but I can already see tons of things ripe for discussion, as soon as TLers get around to reading it (I know a few have, and more plan to soon).
Old 09-20-2010, 04:49 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by yks 6nnetu hing View Post
could do based on the author rather than the series - there are authors who are known only for one series but there are also authors (such as Sanderson will be) who are known for more than one book or series.
I think series is a better divider; There are several authors who have multiple series that I'm not interested in but one or two that I follow fairly closely. Mercedes Lackey comes to mind as an author that has two series worth following and a dozen or so that aren't worth the match it would take to burn them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamyrlin View Post
Because of the potential spoilerish nature of every post for those that haven't read the series.
I wouldn't worry too much about spoilers except for the most recent one or two books in any particular series. The general rule we use for the WOT of "there are no spoilers once the paperback comes out" works for any series, really.

Old 09-20-2010, 05:03 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Harold View Post
I think series is a better divider; There are several authors who have multiple series that I'm not interested in but one or two that I follow fairly closely. Mercedes Lackey comes to mind as an author that has two series worth following and a dozen or so that aren't worth the match it would take to burn them.
um. But then who decides which series are "worth following" at TL? and if someone wants to discuss the same author but a different series, where are they going to post? if we only have a Way of Kings forum, then where are the people who want to discuss Elantris or Mistborn going to post?

As an example, right now there's a new GGK thread on the non-board every few weeks/months, and it's usually about a different book than before. Then again, GGK mostly writes stand-alones and it would be rather pointless to have a forum for each book because, like Terez said, there just wouldn't be enough posting to hold the forum up. Likewise Hobb has 4 trilogies (and the Keeper chornicles... a duology?), 3 of which are linked but the 4th isn't - I knwo that there are lots of people who didn't like the 4th at all (mainly because it wasn't linked to the first 3 that she wrote) but I quite liked it. Again, there woudln't be enough interest to keep a forum alive just for that 4th series...

Bonded to JWB

-- Winston Churchill

Last edited by yks 6nnetu hing; 09-20-2010 at 05:06 AM.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:25 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
um. But then who decides which series are "worth following" at TL?
The people who generate 100 on-topic posts regarding that series in the base "other series discussions" forum. (this forum)

Perhaps "universe" would be a better description than "series" -- The Ring of Fire series, for example is set in the "Assiti Shards" universe and there are just a couple of other novels set in that universe that aren't direct sequels to 1632.

The "Assiti Shards" universe is a good example of why dividing by author wouldn't work; there are at least five major contributors and maybe as many as thirty or forty minor contributors to the anthologies.

There are some authors who don't do collaborations or multiple long series, like GGK, and there's no reason that they couldn't generate sufficient interest for a sub-forum under the author's name, but there is equally no particular reason that any particular author of that type couldn't be covered by occassional shorter threads as has been the case for GGK on the non-wot forum.

PS: Robin Hobb's fantasy works might not seem to be, but they are all in the same universe -- The Farseer Universe, I suppose, because that trilogy came first, but I don't know that it has an official name

Last edited by Weird Harold; 09-20-2010 at 10:33 AM.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:59 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
George R.R. Martin (if he ever continues writing)
The Disney guy? He writes too?

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 09-20-2010, 04:03 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
The people who generate 100 on-topic posts regarding that series in the base "other series discussions" forum. (this forum)
then why didn't you say that you agree with T's proposal? because that's how it will end up you know. Sanderson books will get 100 posts together first, then Tam will (maybe) still be active enough to create a separate forum and the rest will just float around forever šause everyone will think that that was how it was supposed to be. Or am I too cynical?

also, no, the Soldier Son trilogy of Hobb's takes place in a whoooole different universe. Reminded me of Wild West a bit. Had guns and shamans and stuff. Not even close to any of the Farseer stuff, even with the glipses we get to see of the Southern and more technically advanced lands.

Bonded to JWB

-- Winston Churchill
Old 09-20-2010, 05:09 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
then why didn't you say that you agree with T's proposal?
Because WH never agrees with anything I say, ever. On principle, apparently.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:56 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
then why didn't you say that you agree with T's proposal? because that's how it will end up you know.
No, I don't know that is how it will end up. It may well end up that way, but if it is because of participation rather than fiat, then that's cool.

To be honest, I suspect that even Brandon is going to fall short of the "100 on-topic posts" mark, since the only series most of us can agree on is the WOT. (Plus many of the series worth a sub-forum of their own already have fan sites and fan forums already established.)

I had forgotten about the soldier son trilogy(?) since the first book bored me spitless and I didn't bother with any of the rest.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:14 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
To be honest, I suspect that even Brandon is going to fall short of the "100 on-topic posts" mark, since the only series most of us can agree on is the WOT.
Maybe that's so with the old-timers at Theoryland, but I think not so much with the newer crew. A lot of them read Brandon's books first, and are cross-over WoT fans, just as many WoT fans are cross-over Brandon fans.

WoT is tying up, Malazan is tying up, GRRM is disillusioned with his fandom, etc. And I don't know about most Theorylanders, but I feel like I have enough forums to check every day. I've stopped checking Malazan months ago and I really miss it but I don't have time for it (and I never really posted much about the books there...partly because the series seemed like it wasn't really going anywhere so there was no point trying to figure it out).

Anyway, I have a feeling other WoT fans are the same - Brandon's finishing WoT, so it seems logical to me to discuss his books here. I might be interested in contributing to a Wiki, but I'd rather not branch out to yet another forum. I'm trying to at least somewhat keep up with four WoT forums at the moment, and I'm also subscribed to the pertinent WoT threads at Malazan and Westeros (though I'm not sure why really).

Edited because I meant to add that Malazan has always pretty much played this by ear. For a long time, it was just Other Fantasy, then they added some subforums including one for WoT/Sanderson (lumped together even there, but that's unavoidable at the moment) and renamed it Other Literature. But they are a much bigger forum than this one, and even those subforums are fairly slow most of the time. But Malazan has no real connections to other series like WoT has to Brandon.

Last edited by Terez; 09-20-2010 at 08:19 PM.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:11 AM
Hero of the Horn

Nazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond repute

I say it again: Discworld. 38 books so far. Lots of laughs. Lots of philosophy behind the laughs. Even more laughs behind the philosophy. Jokes so well hidden you have to read the books again and again and again to catch them all. While you look for them you may find answers to these questions: Why aren't wizards allowed to have sex? Where the dragons came from? How did Dwarfs and Trolls manage to attack each other from ambush at Koom Valley? What happens to a volcano goddess when the world moves on? What is being a witch all about?
Lord Captain Commander of Singing Chipmunks
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 09-21-2010, 06:50 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazbaque View Post
I say it again: Discworld. 38 books so far. Lots of laughs. Lots of philosophy behind the laughs. Even more laughs behind the philosophy. Jokes so well hidden you have to read the books again and again and again to catch them all. While you look for them you may find answers to these questions: Why aren't wizards allowed to have sex? Where the dragons came from? How did Dwarfs and Trolls manage to attack each other from ambush at Koom Valley? What happens to a volcano goddess when the world moves on? What is being a witch all about?
The pun-ishing humor of Discworld certainly wears better than the puns of Xanth.

Youcan add at least one Discworld movie, BTW; Bilious, the Oh-god of hangovers, is my favorite character of Hogfather. (well, next to Mort and his grandaughter Susan.)

Old 09-21-2010, 11:34 PM
Youngling

Indagator has a spectacular aura aboutIndagator has a spectacular aura about

I'd love to see Theorylanders sink their teeth into Gene Wolfe, especially the Solar Cycle...
________
easyvape vaporizer

Last edited by Indagator; 01-17-2011 at 11:20 PM.