art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Hey New Users of Theoryland!
User Name
Password

Old 09-21-2010, 03:08 AM
Youngling

lowlandr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default new kid on the block

hi guys...

after lurking and posting a bit (the great hunt), I thought it was time to give a bit of introduction...

It was March 1997... I remember walking into B&N and I ran into this huge paperback there, being VERY RED and with a blazing sword on the front... A face with flaming eyes hiding in the shadows and a man reaching for the SWORD... It felt epic (it still does)...
I bought it (couldn't find part 1) and tried reading it. I had no clue what it was about, but I was hooked. Found part 1 and read 7/8 books in 5 weeks (I was working fulltime) and always impatient for a new book

WoT is actually my first..

besides WoT...
cheerfull with some dark sides, play World of Warcraft, play D&D (3.5 ed.), listen to all kind of music (although I tend to lean a bit to classical and metal atm), martial arts, want to learn 'go' (stones ) and rebuilding my home.

Last edited by lowlandr; 09-21-2010 at 03:11 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-21-2010, 03:16 AM
Hero of the Horn

Nazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome lowlandr!

You may call me Naz!

Soon I shall be set on fire and there will be roasted marshmallows.
Lord Captain Commander of Singing Chipmunks
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 09-21-2010, 03:25 AM
Youngling

Artur pendragon will become famous soon enough

Welcome from one newbie to another.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:25 AM
Hero of the Horn

Sarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to behold

Welcome to TL, Lowlandr!

What lowland are you from?

the Grey Viper, the Lord of Forsaken Roads, the Pink Sunset
Old 09-21-2010, 05:18 AM
Youngling

thnx all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazbaque View Post
Soon I shall be set on fire and there will be roasted marshmallows.
I'm more the beer and steaks kind-of-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarevok
What lowland are you from?
the same as yours

Death shall sow, and summer burn, before the Great Lord comes.
Death shall reap, and bodies fail, before the Great Lord comes.
Again the seed slays ancient wrong, before the Great Lord comes.

Now the Great Lord comes.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:06 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

TL does have a rather large non-US commuity, and Dutchies make up a proportionately huge part of that.

Welcome

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Old 09-21-2010, 11:59 AM
Hero of the Horn

Sarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to behold

Welcome, then!

Old 09-21-2010, 01:16 PM
Ancient

Cary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant future

~sets Naz on fire, grills up some steaks~

Welcome to TL!

~hand over a plate of steaks and sprinkles fairy dust~

If my other warder comes by, he'll roll in a keg.
First-sister to Nazbaque, Great Lord of the Flame
Near-sister to Terez, Quotemistress
Lady of Chaos, official member of LoC, Big-sis to Rand & Myr...Woohoo!
Un-official adopted daughter of Pops'Taer, a.k.a. Cary'Taer
Cary Sedai, The first ever, Fairy of the TCA
Old 09-21-2010, 02:09 PM
Hero of the Horn

*reads through the thread*
*realizes his last post was a bit short*
I blame being tired.

With this much dutch here, we're probably the 3rd country after the USA and Canada.

Old 09-21-2010, 02:42 PM
Elder

One Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to all

*steak please, thanks!*

Welcome!

*waiting for the keg*
Old 09-21-2010, 06:43 PM
Hero of the Horn

DahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to DahLliA

steak and a keg? I'm here !

welcome

"'Profound... huh.' Temper was silent for a long moment, studying the cobbles of the alley mouth. And then he lifted his helmed head, faced Shadowthrone, and said, 'Fuck off.'"
Old 09-22-2010, 03:23 PM
Youngling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cary Sedai
If my other warder comes by, he'll roll in a keg.
*waiting patiently*

Quote:
With this much dutch here, we're probably the 3rd country after the USA and Canada.
well.. the Dutch are English oriented (Scandinavians too), so I'm not that surprised.

I wonder if anyone done research into the readers of the WoT. Things like age, job, education, gender, country, etc..

thnx for the welcome

Old 09-22-2010, 03:27 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowlandr View Post
well.. the Dutch are English oriented (Scandinavians too), so I'm not that surprised.
The Finns should probably be counted among those, but I still think we get more Dutchies than Scandinavians+Finland combined.

Do you have any favorite composers, or are you one of those that just listens to classical for ambiance and doesn't really pay attention to who wrote it?

Last edited by Terez; 09-22-2010 at 03:29 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:30 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
The Finns should probably be counted among those, but I still think we get more Dutchies than Scandinavians+Finland combined.
My guess as to a reason for that would be that those countries have more people and therefore more successful writers of their own.

Old 09-22-2010, 04:59 PM
Youngling

Quote:
I was under the impression when I wrote the post that Finland was part of Scandinavian, but it isn't.. I intented to include the Finns though.

While writing this post I'm starting to wonder about how well English is known in Finland. Finnish is related to Hungarian, which is related to Mongolian. Finnish and English is not related to each other.. Maybe one of the Finnish here can enlighten me.

Quote:
Do you have any favorite composers, or are you one of those that just listens to classical for ambiance and doesn't really pay attention to who wrote it?
Currently I'm still trying to find out which composers/pieces I like, so suggestions are welcome.
I do pay attention to the composer, by now I've figured out some of my classical taste.
I'm not really into Bach, Bizet or Vivaldi, they are very 'irritatingly cheerfull' most of the time. I do generally like Beethoven, Mozart and Schubert.
I recently ran into this piece by Ludovico Einaudi which really knocked my socks off.. I've done some youtubing on him, and really like his work.

a bit less traditional: I really like Michael Kamen's work which he did with Metallica. He made a very good combination between the full and soft sound of the orchestra and the sharp and hard sound of the guitars.

Quote:
My guess as to a reason for that would be that those countries have more people and therefore more successful writers of their own.
I don't get your point here completely, Norway and Sweden both have about 9,5 million inhabitants, Denmark about 5,5 and Finland about 5,4. Combined (29,9) much more then the 16,6 million of the Netherlands. Considering the numbers there should have been more (about twice as much) Scandies here on TL then Dutchies...

Last edited by lowlandr; 09-22-2010 at 05:03 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:19 PM
Editor-in-Chief (with tenure)

Uno has disabled reputation

Quote:
I don't get your point here completely, Norway and Sweden both have about 9,5 million inhabitants, Denmark about 5,5 and Finland about 5,4. Combined (29,9) much more then the 16,6 million of the Netherlands. Considering the numbers there should have been more (about twice as much) Scandies here on TL then Dutchies...
Norway's got slightly less than 5 million inhabitants, so you can slash a few millions off of that number.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:07 PM
Hero of the Horn

Nazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
While writing this post I'm starting to wonder about how well English is known in Finland. Finnish is related to Hungarian, which is related to Mongolian. Finnish and English is not related to each other.. Maybe one of the Finnish here can enlighten me.
Well. The first point is that in terms of grammar Finnish is a bit more complex than most European tongues. We grow up with it and so learning another language is really a matter of vocabulary. The second point is that our educational system requires us to study Finnish, Swedish and at least one foreign language. English is the language of computers and half the television programs so it's a natural choice.
Lord Captain Commander of Singing Chipmunks
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 09-22-2010, 06:14 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

Also, didn't you say that the Finns use subtitles rather than dubbing on English films/TV? That appears to be the main thing that separates Scandinavia and the Netherlands from the rest of Europe.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:22 PM
Youngling

Confinfantry is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Confinfantry Send a message via MSN to Confinfantry Send a message via Yahoo to Confinfantry

Welcome!! glad you could make it. I am a fellow music lover myself (I studied music in college and even have my degree in it.) Glad you could join us here.

Its AWESOME to see another D&D player on here. I'm sure there are more but you are the first that I have noticed so far.. AND 3.5 you are AWESOME!!! I am currently running a 3.5 campaign set in the worlds largest dungeon and its AMAZING!!

As for music If you like piano music definitely check out some Chopin, organ music I really enjoy Bach, and for NeoRomantic music I LOVE Stravinsky! I am a huge fan of Choral music(as was my major) and Enjoy many old and new composers. If you like choral works check out Eric Whitacre he has some AMAZING pieces.

Well Peace out and once again WELCOME!
Old 09-23-2010, 12:18 AM
Hero of the Horn

I'm a piano major, so Chopin and Bach are my main loves. Since you don't like Bach, there is obviously something wrong with you, so there is no hope for you. What I mean to say is, a lot of people find Bach boring for some reason, but Chopin is more user-friendly.