art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > General "Other" Books Discussion
User Name
Password

View Poll Results: Which Author(s) Books Do You Want to Discuss?
Anne McCaffrey 9 16.36%
David Eddings 6 10.91%
David Weber 6 10.91%
Eric Flint 3 5.45%
Gene Wolfe 4 7.27%
George R.R. Martin 22 40.00%
Guy Gavriel Kay 11 20.00%
Mercedes Lackey 5 9.09%
Robin Hobb 9 16.36%
Steven Erikson 18 32.73%
Terry Pratchett 14 25.45%
Other Author 15 27.27%
I don't want to discuss other authors. 6 10.91%
Other: Jim Butcher 14 25.45%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-22-2010, 11:30 AM
Lord of the Board

Tamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tamyrlin
Default Which Author(s) Books Do You Want to Discuss?

Many have expressed a desire to discuss Sanderson's work. As to other authors, I'd like to know how much support there is for other authors before I create that author his/her own sub-forum. Therefore - we need a poll.

Btw - I realize there are some series where there are multiple authors. For now I think it is worthwhile to go down the author route, but I'm not against polling specific series/universes too.

Last edited by Tamyrlin; 09-22-2010 at 11:37 AM.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:25 PM
Hero of the Horn

Ishara has disabled reputation
Send a message via MSN to Ishara

Okay, so I voted (obvs), but still not convinced that we need seperate fora for seperate authors beyond BS...

Whatever you decide to do, oh benevolent dictator, is alright by me!

Rand: You are an insensitive bastard!!!
Mat: And you ruined another hat!

It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by lightening. -- Calvin

"Gee, I wish I could do magic! Maybe I'll try!" --SDog

Official Vixen of Theoryland and Theoryland Siren

Grain Goddess, the Rood Inverse, the Mad Glomper
Old 09-22-2010, 12:35 PM
Lord of the Board

Tamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tamyrlin
Default It is more...if I'm missing something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishara View Post
Okay, so I voted (obvs), but still not convinced that we need seperate fora for seperate authors beyond BS...

Whatever you decide to do, oh benevolent dictator, is alright by me!
I think you are right, but I'm just making sure. It will be a matter of many fans saying they want to discuss another author's work and then testing it out.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:49 PM
Hero of the Horn

Sarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to behold

I voted other author. Did you leave out Brandon because it's too obvious or did you forget him?
Otherwise, no books I'd like to discuss.

Edit: nevermind the above...

the Grey Viper, the Lord of Forsaken Roads, the Pink Sunset

Last edited by Sarevok; 09-22-2010 at 01:05 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:17 PM
Hero of the Horn

Crispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond repute

I voted for Erikson, but I'm not sure there's too much of a point now. He's finished and will publish the final book in January, though still plans on a few ancillaries.

I think Sanderson could potentially become the main forum once the new series is in full swing and we're "done" with WoT.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:42 PM
Inbred, Ugly, and Drunk on Corn Liquor

Sei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispin's Crispian View Post
I voted for Erikson, but I'm not sure there's too much of a point now. He's finished and will publish the final book in January, though still plans on a few ancillaries.

I think Sanderson could potentially become the main forum once the new series is in full swing and we're "done" with WoT.
I voted for all of them. to be frank, I enjoy reading the discussions more than posting about them. I don't really have a lot to say about theories, but I enjoy talking about different books and whats good or bad about them.

Take Mercedes Lackey, can't stand to read her stuff. It drags and it's boring to me, but if you like it, then I'm ok with it being discussed. Heck, you might hit on something that makes me decide to give her a try again. Not Janny Wurts though...never Janny Wurts. I have a tattoo on the inside of my eyelids, when I close them I can read "Just Say NO to Janny Wurts."

www.buckeyestation.com look at it, love it, share it with your friends!

Last edited by Sei'taer; 09-22-2010 at 04:42 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:02 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

I want some hardcore David Eddings theories:

1. How was Garion so oblivious?

2. What would happen if a Cherek ran into a Thalesian?

3. Durnik meets Kurik: Does the world implode?

4. What's up with Beldin anyway?

5. Where's Zedar and what's he up to?

~shocked that I remmeber that much actually~

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 09-22-2010, 05:38 PM
Hero of the Horn

Anaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant future

I voted, but I kinda agree with Ishara, that we probably don't need a sub-section for each author. I think a simple format of Author: Book title: Thread title should probably work quite well, and then you won't end up with a bunch of fora that hardly get used
Old 09-22-2010, 07:21 PM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamyrlin View Post
Therefore - we need a poll.
Aside from the fact that some authors are prolific and have a plethora of series and standalone books -- Anne McCaffrey, Mercedes LAckey, Eric Flint, etc -- what we need is participation, not polls.

Participation both demonstrates true interest (as opposed to a "Must Answer Poll" reflex) as well as self-selecting between author, series, universe or some other grouping.

I'd be more inclined to participate in a genere-based "Space Opera" forum than in separate E.E 'Doc' Smith, Honoverse, John Ringo, 'John Carter of Mars,' etc, sub-divisions, if there was enough other posters interested in discussing that particular sub-genre of Science Fiction and Fantasy.

Participation could also lead in directions we haven't considered -- I'm not a big fan of 'Horse$#t and Holsters' but some SF and Fantasy (time travel, alternate timeline, etc) cross-over into Western fiction; fantasy series like The Dresden Files and Glen Cook's Garret, PI, and SF Series like Asimov's Foundation series, cross-over into the Mystery genre.

(Now if I could just figure out which questions they go to. )

I met you in a past life. You were wrong then, too.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:27 PM
Youngling

Tenesmus has a spectacular aura aboutTenesmus has a spectacular aura about

Have finished reading Joe Abercrombie's four books. Gritty, funny, violent... loved them all

Read The Warded Man recently thought it was pretty good
Old 09-22-2010, 08:47 PM
Elder

nameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant future

Some authors are incredibly prolific but their stuff is so straightforward that there isn't much left to discuss other than "I really liked it" or "I'm not such a fan." Eddings, for example. Other authors are a lot deeper but haven't put out such a huge volume. I don't think either kind would really need their own separate forum. They'd work just fine as individual threads. Authors like Butcher or Pratchett (or Zelazny, who wasn't a choice but should have been) have a lot of books out that either contain mystery plots or allusions to folklore or stuff that's just straight-up trippy and confusing, and I think those are the ones that lend themselves to a lot of discussion.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:15 PM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenesmus View Post
Have finished reading Joe Abercrombie's four books. Gritty, funny, violent... loved them all

Read The Warded Man recently thought it was pretty good
The sequel to the Warded Man is pretty good, too.

Which brings up a separate forum that IS needed; New Books/Authors and Reviews.

Those discussions need to be separated because they tend to be spoilerish -- it's hard to write a decent review without being at least a bit spoilerish. New books in established series or by established authors would generally go in more specific forums, but we need a place to promote less-established authors and new books/series, like the Warded Man.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:29 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Dunno about that; it's easy enough to mark threads as containing spoilers, and it's more effective to promote new authors in a forum that people are actually likely to check regularly rather than a sub-forum that won't get much traffic.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:50 PM
Hero of the Horn

DahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to DahLliA

voted for Erikson. but I agree with Crispin's point.

seeing as the Crippled God will be the last "main" book I don't think it needs it's own forum. then again Erikson might start a new series after the Malazan books though.

"'Profound... huh.' Temper was silent for a long moment, studying the cobbles of the alley mouth. And then he lifted his helmed head, faced Shadowthrone, and said, 'Fuck off.'"
Old 09-22-2010, 10:23 PM
Hero of the Horn

Ishara has disabled reputation
Send a message via MSN to Ishara

Let's just play it by ear and see how it goes!

Rand: You are an insensitive bastard!!!
Mat: And you ruined another hat!

It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by lightening. -- Calvin

"Gee, I wish I could do magic! Maybe I'll try!" --SDog

Official Vixen of Theoryland and Theoryland Siren

Grain Goddess, the Rood Inverse, the Mad Glomper
Old 09-22-2010, 10:32 PM
Editor-in-Chief (with tenure)

Uno has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishara View Post
Let's just play it by ear and see how it goes!
That's not how we do it, Ishara. We have to have pointless arguments first.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:17 PM
Ancient

pops taer is a name known to allpops taer is a name known to allpops taer is a name known to allpops taer is a name known to allpops taer is a name known to allpops taer is a name known to allpops taer is a name known to allpops taer is a name known to allpops taer is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to pops taer
Default Surprise, Surprise..

I actually agree with someone on here. A single forum with seperate threads, I think much like we do here. Only problem I see is who/whom is gonna select the author/series/book to 'discuss.' Maybe a list to start with Pops giving Tam authority to select? Or a list of 3 or 4 that we vote on then start down that list based on popular vote. I'm game, even if I don't go there often, cause I don't read as fast as you guys now. My night work and 10 to 12 hour shifts really throws a crimp into my reading time. But we do need to begin to work toward keeping this group together someway, somehow.

Officially adoptive Theoryland father of Birgitte, Cary Fairy, Sarafelle, leanne, Salem, Paige from New Mexico and J'Lo.

Lord but not Master to - Lady tanaww, Lady Tru, Lady Anaiya, Lady Aly, Lady Ishara, Lady Teri, Lady Jen and Lady Gina.

You can never do something again. You are only able to do something similar.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:45 PM
Hero of the Horn

Brita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond repute

Basically just Sanderson for me. I have no burning desire to discuss any others, despite being a big fan of a few of them.

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. ― Anthony Bourdain
Old 09-22-2010, 11:54 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
Dunno about that; it's easy enough to mark threads as containing spoilers, and it's more effective to promote new authors in a forum that people are actually likely to check regularly rather than a sub-forum that won't get much traffic.
Both approaches work. I think having someplace to go to look specifically for something/somebody new (as opposed to continuations of established series/authors) is more useful than picking new recommendations out of the clutter of general discussions. If we're not going to segregate and separate certain discussions from the general muddle, why bother with an "other literature" forum in the first place? Just put everything non-wot into a single non-wot forum and be done with it.

Old 09-23-2010, 01:22 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Well, a certain amount of separation is useful, but it can become too much separation easily.