art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (1): ShadowbaneX,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)


Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > General "Other" Books Discussion
User Name
Password

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-27-2010, 07:22 AM
Daekyras's Avatar
Daekyras Daekyras is offline
Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Ireland
Posts: 1,771
Daekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond repute
Default E.E "doc" Smith

Hey guys, just wondering if any of you had read the Lensman series and what you thought of them?

I was searching through the attic the other day and came across a copy of Grey Lensman and it really brought me back. I remember reading them as a kid and being blown away. So different from anything I'd read before. Not sure if the'll have the same magic now.

Just wondering if you might think it would be worth my while tracking down a copy of Galactic Patrol somewhere.....
__________________
You know what is comparable to LotR? Dragonlance. -Toss the Dice

He just got carried away a bit this time, probably as a result of his marriage-gonzothegreat

Son of Nazbaque, Lord of Fire
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-27-2010, 07:34 AM
Weird Harold's Avatar
Weird Harold Weird Harold is offline
Hero of the Horn
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: "Lost Wages," NV USA
Posts: 5,001
Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekyras View Post
Hey guys, just wondering if any of you had read the Lensman series and what you thought of them?

I was searching through the attic the other day and came across a copy of Grey Lensman and it really brought me back. I remember reading them as a kid and being blown away. So different from anything I'd read before. Not sure if the'll have the same magic now.

Just wondering if you might think it would be worth my while tracking down a copy of Galactic Patrol somewhere.....
I read them many, many, moons ago and wasn't particularly impressed; of course I'd discovered Heinlein and Asimov already, so I wasn't terribly impressed. I have re-read Grey Lensman and assorted shorts and excerpts since then and they don't age well, IMHO.

However, if you have a copy of Grey Lensman, it costs nothing to re-read it, and if it still holds your interest, then searching out other books is worth your time and effort.
__________________
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just figure out which questions they go to. )

I met you in a past life. You were wrong then, too.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-27-2010, 08:13 AM
Daekyras's Avatar
Daekyras Daekyras is offline
Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Ireland
Posts: 1,771
Daekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Harold View Post
I read them many, many, moons ago and wasn't particularly impressed; of course I'd discovered Heinlein and Asimov already, so I wasn't terribly impressed. I have re-read Grey Lensman and assorted shorts and excerpts since then and they don't age well, IMHO.

However, if you have a copy of Grey Lensman, it costs nothing to re-read it, and if it still holds your interest, then searching out other books is worth your time and effort.
Yeah, I had not read Heinlin or Asimov or even Larry Niven at that stage.

I would read Grey but I just cannot bring myself to read a series out of sequence. I know thats absurd, especially here!, but i really have a problem with it.
__________________
You know what is comparable to LotR? Dragonlance. -Toss the Dice

He just got carried away a bit this time, probably as a result of his marriage-gonzothegreat

Son of Nazbaque, Lord of Fire
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-27-2010, 08:33 AM
Weird Harold's Avatar
Weird Harold Weird Harold is offline
Hero of the Horn
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: "Lost Wages," NV USA
Posts: 5,001
Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekyras View Post
Yeah, I had not read Heinlin or Asimov or even Larry Niven at that stage.

I would read Grey but I just cannot bring myself to read a series out of sequence. I know thats absurd, especially here!, but i really have a problem with it.
I think re-reading old series out of sequence is going to be unavoidable because there will be pieces that are just harder to find/acquire. Grey Lensman is much easier to find although the local library system has a 1998 omnibus edition (Chronicles of the Lensmen Vol 1) that contains Galactic Patrol and two prequels. Both Vol 1 and 2 show up as Amazon hits on a google search, so the omnibus reprints should be easier to find.
__________________
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just figure out which questions they go to. )

I met you in a past life. You were wrong then, too.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.