art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > General "Other" Books Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 09-27-2010, 09:40 AM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future
Default Valdemar anyone? (New book alert)

Also thanks to the library's automated search function, I now know that Mercedes Lackey has finally gotten around to writing the second book in her latest Valedemar Trilogy -- Intrigues

Valdemar has almost devolved into a Young Adults Only series, but it is still a facinating universe to visit once in awhile even if it is increasingly simplistic and predictable.

(Now if I could just figure out which questions they go to. )

I met you in a past life. You were wrong then, too.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:32 AM
Elder

Daekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond repute

Hey harold- I have never read any Mercedes Lackey.
Would you recommend it and whay book should I start with?

Oh yeah, any simple comparisons with other authors so I can know what it's like? I'm currently on the look out for a new series...

He just got carried away a bit this time, probably as a result of his marriage-gonzothegreat

Son of Nazbaque, Lord of Fire
Old 09-28-2010, 01:05 PM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekyras View Post
Hey harold- I have never read any Mercedes Lackey.
Would you recommend it and whay book should I start with?

Oh yeah, any simple comparisons with other authors so I can know what it's like? I'm currently on the look out for a new series...
Mercedes Lackey is a vary prolific author and she writes/co-writes several series that just don't suit my tastes. I happen to like the Valdemar series and have most of it in my collection:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WH's excel database
By the Sword Lackey, Mercedes Fantasy Valdemar 0
Take a Thief Lackey, Mercedes Fantasy Valdemar 01
Owlflight Lackey, Mercedes Fantasy Valdemar 0a
Owlsight Lackey, Mercedes Fantasy Valdemar 0b
Owlknight Lackey, Mercedes Fantasy Valdemar 0c
Exile's Honor Lackey, Mercedes Fantasy Valdemar, Alberic's Tale 01
Exile's Valor Lackey, Mercedes Fantasy Valdemar, Alberic's Tale 02
Sword of Ice Lackey, Mercedes Anthology Valdemar, Collection 01
Sun In Glory Lackey, Mercedes Anthology Valdemar, Collection 02
Crossroads Lackey, Mercedes Anthology Valdemar, Collection 03
Moving Targets Lackey, Mercedes Anthology Valdemar, Collection 04
Arrows of the Queen Lackey, Mercedes Fantasy Valdemar:Heralds 01
Arrow's Flight Lackey, Mercedes Fantasy Valdemar:Heralds 02
Arrow's Fall Lackey, Mercedes Fantasy Valdemar:Heralds 03
Brightly Burning Lackey, Mercedes Fantasy Valdemar:Lavan Firestorm 0
Magic's Pawn Lackey, Mercedes Fantasy Valdemar:LHM 01
Magic's Promise Lackey, Mercedes Fantasy Valdemar:LHM 02
Magic's Price Lackey, Mercedes Fantasy Valdemar:LHM 03
Storm Warning Lackey, Mercedes Fantasy Valdemar:Mage Storms 01
Storm Rising Lackey, Mercedes Fantasy Valdemar:Mage Storms 02
Storm Breaking Lackey, Mercedes Fantasy Valdemar:Mage Storms 03
Winds of Fate Lackey, Mercedes Fantasy Valdemar:Mage Winds 01
Winds of Change Lackey, Mercedes Fantasy Valdemar:Mage Winds 02
Winds of Fury Lackey, Mercedes Fantasy Valdemar:Mage Winds 03

Oathbound Lackey, Mercedes Fantasy Valdemar:Vows & Honor 01
Oatbreakers Lackey, Mercedes Fantasy Valdemar:Vows & Honor 02
Oathblood Lackey, Mercedes Fantasy Valdemar:Vows & Honor 03
The latest two aren't in paperback yet, so I haven't added them to the collection yet.

The main-line Valdemar storyline is the three trilogies I highlighted; Heralds, Mage Storms, and MageWinds. The other trilogies are pretty much independent reads although they rely heavily on the reader being familiar with the mainline series.

Another, older series I liked is out of print as far as I know, but if you can find the Bardic Voices series (five or six books) it's worth a read, too.

She writes/co-writes a lot of series involving Elves in historic or contemporary settings.

ML is a good enough author that I generally check out at least the first book in any trilogy or series she lends her name to; I know it will be a well-crafted story even if it doesn't fit my tastes.

One caveat re. Valdemar: It is the first major fantasy series with openly gay characters, although it is not at all explicitly portrayed; strictly PG content, not even PG-13. I haven't noticed that apparent GLBT agenda extending to her other work, but it is definitely a notable characteristic of Valdemar.

Last edited by Weird Harold; 09-28-2010 at 01:24 PM.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:00 PM
Youngling

FollowYourMuse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Valdemar

I would agree with @Weird Harold on Mercedes Lackey,
most of the series I have liked.

The Valdemar series is the exception, though the books all vary to me in how well they have been written, or the stories, the concept and story in general is worth it.

They do tend to be easy and fast reads, though sometimes that is beneficial, if all series were WOT or The way Fo Kings books, I would'nt get much else done.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:40 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by FollowYourMuse;
Valdemar series ... do tend to be easy and fast reads, though sometimes that is beneficial, if all series were WOT or The Way of Kings books, I would'nt get much else done.
One thing Valdemar has in common with the WOT is the idea of "the essential man" -- the idea that one special person can make a big difference. To paraphrase a (possibly mythical) Texas Ranger, "You've only got one disaster, why would you need more than one Herald?"

Old 10-08-2010, 11:53 AM
Youngling

JaconKin is an unknown quantity at this point

I would've added the Last Herald Mage to the list of the bold trilogies being quite relevant. Even though they are more a prequel trilogy that are good for a general understanding of the world.

They were actually the first books I read of the Valdemar world. I also enjoyed the Owl Series trilogy of books. I enjoyed the first 2 gryphon books, but could never complete the third for whatever reason. I never got many of the duologies or stand alone books though.

They are good new reads, though I'm finding that with some books, I most likely won't read them again. My mother enjoys reading them though so.

"Artists use lies to tell the truth, while politicians use them to cover the truth up."

"Nothing in life is to be feared: it is only to be understood."

Currently working on: The Web of Life
Old 10-08-2010, 05:04 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaconKin View Post
I would've added the Last Herald Mage to the list of the bold trilogies being quite relevant. Even though they are more a prequel trilogy that are good for a general understanding of the world.
The Last Herald Mage trilogy is a reasonable starting point, but I don't think they're 'necessary' to understanding Valdemar. By the time I read them, they were just kind of a recap of the history already gleaned from the main sequence trilogy of trilogies...

The books I highlighted are the "present day," current events, so to speak. Almost everything else in the Valdemar universe is prequels that are "good for a general understanding of the world."

Old 11-10-2010, 03:55 AM
Youngling

Trynity is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Harold View Post
The Last Herald Mage trilogy is a reasonable starting point, but I don't think they're 'necessary' to understanding Valdemar. By the time I read them, they were just kind of a recap of the history already gleaned from the main sequence trilogy of trilogies...
If I remember correctly the Arrows of the Queen trilogy was published prior to the Last Herald mage trilogy which is why it would seem a recap.

I do like that the Last Herald Mage trilogy explains how and why Valdemar got to be the way it is in regards to Heralds.

I think the Intrigues trilogy falls some time after The Last Herald Mage trilogy since before then Heralds were taught by mentors and now they are all taught together in more of a school atmosphere.

On a side note I do miss Talia and would love to see more of her and Darin.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:22 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
One caveat re. Valdemar: It is the first major fantasy series with openly gay characters, although it is not at all explicitly portrayed; strictly PG content, not even PG-13. I haven't noticed that apparent GLBT agenda extending to her other work, but it is definitely a notable characteristic of Valdemar.
I think we've had this discussion before somewhere... Trudi Canavan's Black Magician trilogy has a rather gay secondary-main character (sort of as Thom or Lan is to Rand, Mat and Perrin. Not precisely a main character, but is "on screen" and prominent in the series most of the time). Also, McCaffrey's Pern stories feature gay characters, although much more subtly... in most cases. Not to mention Diana Gabaldon... she's got gay guys (both as good guys and bad guys) running around the whole series. The only male fantasy author with a gay character I can think of is GRRM, with Renly... only he got killed fairly quickly.

re Mercedes Lackey, I've started one of her books. I really liked the beginning, the pace was great and the characters interesting. But... I could see the horrible end coming from miles away and just couldn't make myself finish the book.

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Old 11-10-2010, 12:03 PM
Hero of the Horn

Isabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Isabel

Quote:
Originally Posted by yks 6nnetu hing View Post
I think we've had this discussion before somewhere... Trudi Canavan's Black Magician trilogy has a rather gay secondary-main character (sort of as Thom or Lan is to Rand, Mat and Perrin. Not precisely a main character, but is "on screen" and prominent in the series most of the time). Also, McCaffrey's Pern stories feature gay characters, although much more subtly... in most cases. Not to mention Diana Gabaldon... she's got gay guys (both as good guys and bad guys) running around the whole series. The only male fantasy author with a gay character I can think of is GRRM, with Renly... only he got killed fairly quickly.

re Mercedes Lackey, I've started one of her books. I really liked the beginning, the pace was great and the characters interesting. But... I could see the horrible end coming from miles away and just couldn't make myself finish the book.
Most of her books end 'well'for her main characters. Except perhaps one series. The last herald mage. But that's depending how you look at it.

I have all her books, so if you wanna lend them :P
'Rand al'Thor, Nynaeve shrieked, that is the most outrageous thing I ever heard out of your mouth. The very idea of telling three women you love them! You are worse than a lecher. You apologize right now!'

Isabel sedai of the Green Ajah, Amyrlin of the Official Nynaeve Fanclub, first sister to Gennie Sedai of the Green Ajah, bonded to Camel, Wolf Gaidin, Jachthond and ghostrider.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:39 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trynity View Post
I think the Intrigues trilogy falls some time after The Last Herald Mage trilogy since before then Heralds were taught by mentors and now they are all taught together in more of a school atmosphere.
According to the timeline in Foundation is around 875 AF; the Last Herald Mage is from 750 to 798 AF. Intriguesis the second book in the "Collegium Chronicles" trilogy, after Foundation

All of the "mainline" trilogies, including the Exile trilogy which is a prequel to Arrows of the Queen, take place around 1376 AF.

I do somewhat prefer the books that feature Elspeth and the Hawkbrothers, which pretty much is the latter half of the mainline books, but the whole universe is well-structured and an enjoyable read if not deeply thought-provoking.

Old 11-21-2010, 08:06 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Also thanks to the library's automated search function, I now know that Mercedes Lackey has finally gotten around to writing the second book in her latest Valedemar Trilogy -- Intrigues

Valdemar has almost devolved into a Young Adults Only series, but it is still a facinating universe to visit once in awhile even if it is increasingly simplistic and predictable.
Finally got Intrigues from the library -- and re-read Foundation first to refresh the memory-bones

PS: there is an arror -- probably atypo -- in that link's summary of the book: Mags is and always has been an orhpan boy, so the pronoun "she" in the summary is imappropriate.

The collegium Chronicles is defintiely a Young Adult oriented trilogy -- not that being young adult oriented is necessarily bad. It is however a good light read with likable characters and a modicum of teen angst and bloody mayhem to suit all tastes.

There is enough of a mystery to the story -- left unsolved (for the third volume, I expect) to tantilize the need to theorize but nothing to be HCFF about.

On a scale of 1-10, I'd give it a seven for general readership and a nine for young adults.

Last edited by Weird Harold; 11-21-2010 at 08:08 PM.