art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Book Tour: Towers of Midnight
User Name
Password

Old 11-18-2010, 01:11 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

I think we didn't comment much on the gholam bit because someone else already asked him the same thing.

I think Caemlyn is more of a Camlann parallel than a Camelot parallel. Though I could be wrong, since it looks like Tar Valon is shaping up to be Rand's Camlann, which would hearken back to the original meaning of the word 'camlann' - a crooked river bank.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:27 PM
Youngling

btoyer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Clouds

I was thinking about this while reading....

seems to me Rand is everywhere that the clouds are breaking up. I think his bonding to the girls causes him to "be there" too.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:33 PM
Elder

FelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant future

Thanks for your in depth report from Paris. Very much appreciated. =o)

I have a follow-up question about this section of your report:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka243
Someone asked how the trollocs are getting enough food in the blight, they can't just eat eachother right? Brandon said that the number of trollocs in the blight currently is unsutainable over a long period of time but we should remember that the shadow does has access to channellers that can create gateways (implied: as a means to bring food TO the trollocs).
Okay, the shadow's channelers are bringing food to Trollocs in the Blight via Waygates. So far, so good.

Did Brandon also imply or claim that Trollocs were using "Traveling Gateways" to enter the Blight? If so, that creates a problem. How is this unsustainable population of Trollocs arriving in the Blight again? After all this huge population of Shadowspawn had to been created some where else, right?

I recall RJ claiming in an interview that constructs like Trollocs & Myrddraal cannot use "Traveling" gateways or "Skimming" gateways at all.

How can Brandon claim that Trollocs were being moving around by 'Traveling" or "Skimming" gateways again? The whole reason Ishamael/Moridin is using "the Ways" to transport Trollocs around in the Westlands, is because other Gateways are useless for transportation purposes for the Shadow's Trollocs.

Why couldn't the Shadow use "the Ways" as a food distribution network?

For more see, @TinkerPride at Twitter.com
Old 11-18-2010, 04:35 PM
Youngling

cuthbert19 is just really nicecuthbert19 is just really nicecuthbert19 is just really nicecuthbert19 is just really nicecuthbert19 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowbaneX View Post
Just outta curiosity, what card did you sign Cuthbert? Also awesome that you got to use one of RJ's pens.
I actually don't have the slightest idea I know literally nothing about Magic, I only know that it was the "special" card in the pack he opened and that it said that it was "not bad"

Actually, now that I remember it better while I'm writing: he opened both the packs I gave him, and then asked me to choose which one of the two "special" I wanted to sign. Since I didn't know which one to choose, Emily (Brandon's wife) gently provided help: "do sign the one with the chick!"
Old 11-18-2010, 07:10 PM
Youngling

ChiefsFan is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuthbert19 View Post
Wow, a very thorough report, Jonathan! *thumbsup* I think I missed lots of the things you mentioned, btw, even the one around the dinner table

Regarding my signing on the Magic card, I should say two things: I was deeply embarassed and honoured by Brandon's request, and, after I signed it, Brandon offhandedly told me that the pen I had just used belonged to Robert Jordan himself! I don't think you guys got it at the moment though, and I didn't mention it after because I was just *a little* shocked
Edit: Never mind, too bad you didn't know the card :/
Old 11-18-2010, 08:35 PM
Hero of the Horn

ShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond repute

ah, well. It's not important, I played more then a bit of Magic in my day and I was curious.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:18 PM
Youngling

amazinglarry is a glorious beacon of lightamazinglarry is a glorious beacon of lightamazinglarry is a glorious beacon of lightamazinglarry is a glorious beacon of lightamazinglarry is a glorious beacon of lightamazinglarry is a glorious beacon of lightamazinglarry is a glorious beacon of light

Nice to hear the confirmation that the gholam is toast. I has this tiny suspicion in the back of my mind that the gholam would fall and fall through space for several days...then one day some random Asha'man or Aes Sedai was going to open a gateway to the skimming space and the gholam would fall out of it and rip their throat open. This is WoT after all, nobody is dead unless you see the body (except Sammael).

amazinglarry
Old 11-18-2010, 10:40 PM
Youngling

HunterOTS has a spectacular aura aboutHunterOTS has a spectacular aura about

@Cuthbert- what kind of pen was it? You probably didn't notice the brand, but was it a fine pen? I always wonder if many authors favor boutique pens. There are pens out there that cost thousands of dollars and I like to imagine who would buy them.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:08 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Default Also

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lironah View Post
It must not block completely. RJ has said that balefire reduces the time the DO has to secure a soul (rather than making it actually impossible), so it could be the combination of the two.
More specifically, he said that balefire makes it impossible for Him to secure the soul except in the case of a very small amount of balefire, in which case He might be quick enough to get it. I always figured it was a combination of a very small amount of balefire and distance from Shayol Ghul, since RJ also said that it's easier for Him to grab souls if they die in the vicinity of His humble abode.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:07 AM
Youngling

JPUCLA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Clouds

Doesn't the following Sanderson comment make the Nakomi = Verin theory unworkable?

"Someone asked about why the clouds are clearing and whether they were clearing around the certain of the important women in the story. Brandon said that the clouds are clearing around rand, but it has not been specified whether that's because of ta'veren, the fisher king or another reason entierly. He said that the clouds had cleared over Avi in the waste and we have not seen whether the clouds have cleared over tuon, but tuon is still somewhat behind the other characters at the end of TofM."

We don't see the cloud-clearing effects until after Rand on Dragonmount... which of course is after Verin's death. So, the only way Nakomi could be Verin is if that scene is pre-Dragonmount and the reference Sanderson is making is from post-Dragonmount (i.e., when Avi is returning). I guess this is possible (there's no indication of how long Avi runs in the Waste), but it certainly brings the timing issue to the forefront.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:34 AM
Elder

Jonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to Jonai Send a message via AIM to Jonai Send a message via MSN to Jonai Send a message via Skype™ to Jonai

:Re Trollocs. I think he just meant they are bringing food in via gateways. I think Brandon said (unless it was RJ) that the Dark One has access to a magnitude or magnitudes more Shadowspawn than the Blight can actually support. Bringing them in from mirror worlds and then sending them south immediately sounds like a workable plan.

Verin can transcend simple linear time issues. Nakomi/Verin shall not dieeeee.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:39 AM
Youngling

lowlandr is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Jonathan for the report!!! (and making me regret I wasn't able to go to the signing )

Death shall sow, and summer burn, before the Great Lord comes.
Death shall reap, and bodies fail, before the Great Lord comes.
Again the seed slays ancient wrong, before the Great Lord comes.

Now the Great Lord comes.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:26 AM
Youngling

cuthbert19 is just really nicecuthbert19 is just really nicecuthbert19 is just really nicecuthbert19 is just really nicecuthbert19 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterOTS View Post
@Cuthbert- what kind of pen was it? You probably didn't notice the brand, but was it a fine pen? I always wonder if many authors favor boutique pens. There are pens out there that cost thousands of dollars and I like to imagine who would buy them.
Sorry, I'm no more expert in pens than in Magic cards it was indeed a fine one, with a separate cap (Brandon gave it to me already without the cap), no liquid ink. The way the writing felt was just like a Bic pen, actually (I don't know if you have those in USA, though) ... anyway, I wasn't paying too much attention to the pen beforehand, I was already overwhelmed by Brandon's requesting my sign
Old 11-19-2010, 09:32 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPUCLA View Post
Doesn't the following Sanderson comment make the Nakomi = Verin theory unworkable?
Nah. She still had several days to travel to Rhuidean when she met Nakomi, and her first trip through the columns also took several days. The clouds broke during her second trip through.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:13 AM
Youngling

ka243 is a jewel in the roughka243 is a jewel in the roughka243 is a jewel in the roughka243 is a jewel in the rough

I noticed that brandon always signs his books with a sharpie. I wondered if it was that one.... Do you remember if it was the same pen he signed your book with?

He didn't say that the trollocs were going through the gateways to get the food, just that the shadow had access to the gateways which to me meant that the food was being brought to the trollocs, not that the trollocs were going to get it. It would be kinda neat to see a trolloc POV in the next book... I don't think it will happen though.

I wonder whose bringing the food through the gateways or waygates though? Taim's cronies maybe?

Last edited by ka243; 11-19-2010 at 10:17 AM.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:38 AM
Youngling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka243 View Post
I noticed that brandon always signs his books with a sharpie. I wondered if it was that one.... Do you remember if it was the same pen he signed your book with?
No no no, it wasn't
He asked Emily for the sharpie, but she couldn't find it in the hundred of bags they had so he took out the pen, I don't know where he was keeping it but surely he had it more at hand.

I knew you guys didn't notice it
Old 11-19-2010, 12:27 PM
Hero of the Horn

ka243 - I'm putting you in the db as ka243 but I always feel weird ref'ing people by their handles unless the handles resemble actual names/words. So let me know if you'd rather be ref'd by your real name.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:05 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka243
I asked if he could confirm definitively that cyndane is lanfear and end of story since there were still some people saying maybe cyndane isn't lanfear. He said that anything regarding lanfear is rafo at this point because there is likely to be information about that in the next book and there are hints about what is going on with her in towers of midnight.
Did he actually say Lanfear? Or did he just say Cyndane, and you wrote Lanfear?
Old 11-19-2010, 02:03 PM
Youngling

HunterOTS has a spectacular aura aboutHunterOTS has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuthbert19 View Post
Sorry, I'm no more expert in pens than in Magic cards it was indeed a fine one, with a separate cap (Brandon gave it to me already without the cap), no liquid ink. The way the writing felt was just like a Bic pen, actually (I don't know if you have those in USA, though) ... anyway, I wasn't paying too much attention to the pen beforehand, I was already overwhelmed by Brandon's requesting my sign
If it felt as if it wrote just like a Bic than it was a ballpoint pen of any brand. Ironically you can pay several thousand dollars for a pen that writes exactly the same as one that costs a couple of cents. Fountain pens write much smoother, but they don't cost that much more than ballpoints made by the luxury pen companies.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:28 PM
Youngling

ka243 is a jewel in the roughka243 is a jewel in the roughka243 is a jewel in the roughka243 is a jewel in the rough

You can ref me as Jonathan B, I really should have picked a better name. I had no idea i would post this much initially. And he said "Lanfear" not cyndane