art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Book 13: Towers of Midnight
User Name
Password

Old 11-02-2010, 01:54 AM
Youngling

dfchang813 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wishes

We know Lanfear and Moiraine got their 3 wishes.

Let's guess what were Lanfear's and Moiraine's other two.

Should be fun.

I personally have no idea but Moiraine seems really hot to trot to return to Rand and is rather confident that he will need her.

My suspicion is that her two wishes gives will be the last pieces that fall in place with Min's research to tell Rand what he has to do with Callandor to confront the Dark One.

As for Lanfear . . . your guess is as good as mine. But it obviously did nothing more than get her into a mindtrap around Moridin's neck.

Dennis
Old 11-02-2010, 08:15 AM
Youngling

Galagros is an unknown quantity at this point

I suppose Lanfear could have wished to be free of the Dark One.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:32 PM
Elder

sleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond repute

We know that:

1. Moiraine brought nothing back except the angreal, which was her first (accidental) wish. The angreal doesn't seem to be of great importance to Moiraine's plans since Moiraine offered to rid herself of it if Thom wanted her to.
2. She doesn't have her former strength, but thinks Rand will need her.
3. She didn't know about saidin being clean or other major events until Mat told her. So there are limits to whatever knowledge she gained.
4. She expressed an interest in bonding Thom, so it's unlikely that she will bond Rand/get Alanna's bond as some have speculated. As a Blue, she's only allowed one Warder.

Most likely she asked for knowledge of how to help Rand win TG. I think she'll tell him what to do after breaking the seals and possibly be the second female he links with besides Nynaeve. Elayne's pregnant and Avi's going to be busy figuring out how to save the Aiel.

Things Lanfear could possibly have wished for:

1. To see Rand die/be the one who kills him.
2. To make Rand want her. I think this one is likely since it would explain why he felt desire for Cyndane, who doesn't even look like Mierin.
3. To become Nae'blis.
4. For the woman Rand loves to suffer/die.

She could also have wasted one or more of her wishes on useless requests (such as "unhand me, you cretins") without realizing it.

Last edited by sleepinghour; 11-02-2010 at 06:34 PM.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:44 AM
Youngling

zanethanatos is an unknown quantity at this point

Can their wishes really have such a broad effect on the outside world? It seems the wishes are more personal (such as knowledge) rather for something broad. I would assume they would both be careful wishing for something like "Let the Dark One win/lose" as they should have some idea of what could happen.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:03 AM
Ancient

NargsBrood will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up nature of wishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanethanatos View Post
Can their wishes really have such a broad effect on the outside world? It seems the wishes are more personal (such as knowledge) rather for something broad. I would assume they would both be careful wishing for something like "Let the Dark One win/lose" as they should have some idea of what could happen.
they can wish for whatever they want
and they'll get whatever they dont want. wish master... *shutters*
Old 11-03-2010, 03:06 AM
Elder

jana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond repute

Seems pretty obvious to me.

1. I wish that Aviendha will take a trip through the glass columns showing a fake future that will freak everyone out, and only myself and Jana will know that it was just a cruel joke.

2. That my kesiera will be invisible.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:53 AM
Youngling

Ahumm will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepinghour View Post
As a Blue, she's only allowed one Warder.
If I recall, we have no reason to believe this. It is merely tradition that Reds take no Warders and Greens often take more than one. In fact it was suggested that the Reds bond Asha'man since they were "most suited to the task" or some such due to their training and tendency to hunt down and "handle" male channelers.

I take no side in this theory and wished merely to correct a statement I believe contains an error. That said I can think of nothing obvious Lanfear would have wished for save for some things she may have desperately wanted when Moridin came for her.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:57 AM
Elder

jana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahumm View Post
If I recall, we have no reason to believe this.
On top of that, who the heck cares? It's Moiraine. Like she's going to give a fruit what's "not allowed." Blues aren't allowed to marry, either.

(she wouldn't take another warder anyway. but it still needed to be said).
Old 11-03-2010, 07:02 PM
Elder

Ieyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahumm View Post
If I recall, we have no reason to believe this.
no reason?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dragon Reborn
He hesitated before asking the next question. "Can you do for me what you did for Lan? Can you shield my dreams?"
"I already have a Warder, Perrin." Her lips quicked almost into a smile. "And one is all I will have. I am of the Blue Ajah, not the Green."
Quote:
Originally Posted by jana
(she wouldn't take another warder anyway. but it still needed to be said).
said she would only have 1, not that she wouldnt take another...
Old 11-03-2010, 07:07 PM
Elder

arioch is just really nicearioch is just really nicearioch is just really nicearioch is just really nicearioch is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ieyasu View Post
no reason?

I think the point is being made that it's not a matter of "allowing".
Old 11-03-2010, 07:07 PM
Youngling

Xelun is just really niceXelun is just really niceXelun is just really niceXelun is just really niceXelun is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ieyasu View Post
no reason?

Doesn't settle the tradition vs. law question. Not advocating that Moiraine will take another warder, but that quote adds nothing new.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:22 PM
Elder

Ieyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by arioch View Post
I think the point is being made that it's not a matter of "allowing".
And that point is invalidated by her own words.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:40 PM
Youngling

Ahumm will become famous soon enough

You seem to have misunderstood my post. I was correcting sleepinghour's statement that as a Blue she would only be allowed one Warder at a time. As far as I recall there has been no indication through the series that there is some sort of Tower law preventing Blues from bonding multiple Warders. Certainly there are many places where there is an implication that such "goes against tradition" or that the Blues simply aren't the types to bond multiple Warders but nowhere does it outright state that they cannot.

In short, it is a matter of personal choice how many Warders she takes, not a matter of laws or being "allowed."
Old 11-04-2010, 07:06 AM
Elder

sleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
While most Ajah believe an Aes Sedai may have one Warder bonded to her at a time, the Red Ajah refuses to bond any Warders at all, and the Green Ajah believes an Aes Sedai may bond as many as she wishes.
--LoC glossary
Quote:
Seaine had reason to believe Pevara had served a penance shortly after attaining the shawl for saying that she wished she had a Warder; since reaching the safer heights of the Hall, she had openly said Warders would make the Red Ajah's work easier.
--ACoS
Quote:
"Custom can be as hard to change as the law, harder at times, but it has been decided to change ours. Henceforth, Red sisters may bond Warders, but only men who can channel."
--Pevara, KoD
It sounds like it is a custom, not a Tower law, that each Ajah decides and can change if it wants, but only as a whole. Individual sisters don't go against what the Ajah's decided.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:27 AM
Youngling

StevieE is an unknown quantity at this point

On topic...
I think Moiraine asked for knowledge of how to heal the wounds in Rand's side. I think the fact Fain/Mordeth is going to be nearby at TG suggests his presence will be required.

Not sure about her other wish
Old 11-08-2010, 04:35 AM
Youngling

isamu237 has a spectacular aura aboutisamu237 has a spectacular aura aboutisamu237 has a spectacular aura about

Are we sure knowledge is something they can/will grant? Everything we've seen thus far are just that: things (well, physically tangible anyway like being the heck outta there). Granted, he didn't exactly phrase his questions properly at first, but Mat did ask questions and the 'finns just stared at him like he'd tracked in poo on the rug.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:39 AM
Youngling

StevieE is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, I'd have thought asking for "the gift of specific knowledge" would work. But if not, she could have asked for the ability to heal the wounds, or a ter'angreal with the power to heal them or something. I just think Moiraine would, in some way, have used one wish to make sure Rand was healed and therefore going into TG with 100% full fitness.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:55 AM
Youngling

RDDK is on a distinguished road

Lanfear may have had no wishes, especially if she'd already entered the doorway in the Age of Legends. Also, didn't Moraine mention something about not asking questions about the Shadow? If that holds with wishes, it would probably limit her again.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:01 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDDK View Post
Lanfear may have had no wishes, especially if she'd already entered the doorway in the Age of Legends. Also, didn't Moraine mention something about not asking questions about the Shadow? If that holds with wishes, it would probably limit her again.
Its not forbidden to ask questions that touch on the Shadow...just dangerous and unwise. Remember, Rand ask how to win the Last Battle and how to Cleanse Saidin...both obviously touch on the Shadow and he was okay.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 11-08-2010, 08:38 AM
Youngling

Xarra is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm assuming 'I wish Thom and Mat do come and rescue me' would have been a no-no. :P