art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > General "Other" Books Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 10-21-2010, 01:37 PM
Hero of the Horn

Isabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Isabel
Default One Piece - Japanese Manga

Hey all,

Is anyone else reading One Piece and wants to talk about the series?

For the people who have never heard of One Piece. It's basicly a huge epic, very very funny Manga series. It's like the wheel of time in Manga.
It's been running for 12 years, up to 601 chapters and is just past half way

The style of the manga is weird and different. Someone once said that One Piece is an adult manga disguised as a childrens manga.

But it's really fun and epic and the author also plans things ahead. So you can also speculate a bit about what is going to happen.
But also lots of unexpected things happen.

I can't tell you exactly what happened, but I watched an anime episode with my first sister. I told her i wanted to see that episode with her and it was worth it.

She was so surprised that she was staring at the screen with her mouth open for at least 2-3-4 minutes. While I was laughing out loud

If you are interested it it, you can start by watching the cartoon or readin the manga. Remember the first 100 scanlations aren't that good, so the anime is fine too. Although it starts slightly different.

Here some links if you wanna see it.

Anime
http://www.watchop.com/watch/5-one-p...nglish-subbed/

Manga
http://somemangas.com/manga/One_Piece/1/
'Rand al'Thor, Nynaeve shrieked, that is the most outrageous thing I ever heard out of your mouth. The very idea of telling three women you love them! You are worse than a lecher. You apologize right now!'

Isabel sedai of the Green Ajah, Amyrlin of the Official Nynaeve Fanclub, first sister to Gennie Sedai of the Green Ajah, bonded to Camel, Wolf Gaidin, Jachthond and ghostrider.
Old 10-21-2010, 02:48 PM
Hero of the Horn

Firseal has much to be proud ofFirseal has much to be proud ofFirseal has much to be proud ofFirseal has much to be proud ofFirseal has much to be proud ofFirseal has much to be proud ofFirseal has much to be proud ofFirseal has much to be proud ofFirseal has much to be proud ofFirseal has much to be proud ofFirseal has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Firseal

And here I thought I was the only one around here to read manga (I know some others dabble in anime, but not to what degree).

One Piece is... well, the scope is on the level of Lord of the Rings or Wheel of Time. But when you start, that's very, very hard to see, because outwardly it looks like Terry Pratchet decided to do a comic about Pirates in a new world, and he has Neil Gaiman wandering by every once and awhile to dump any odd ideas that won't work for his fiction into this comicy pirate world.

So, yeah. Not WoT in comics. Discworld, only Age of Pirates/Romantism, done by Pratchett and Gaiman, with weird superpowers and bright colors and oddly drawn people (very oddly drawn), talking animals, demonic fruits, a sea of islands weirder than anything Prince Caspian ever saw, etc.

It's strange. It's culture shock, and not because you are reading something that looks more slapstick than early Loony Toons that was originally written in another language. It is because the world you are presented with is literally massive, and all it's wacky bright colors hide some of the night black shadows.

In simpler terms, I think One Piece probably isn't for anyone. Anyone picking it up will have to acclimatize to the extreme weirdness of OP before they can begin appreciating the underlying facets (or be able to glory in the wacky - that works too). On the other hand, once they've paid the toll and delved in, a surprising number of the folks on this board would probably like what they find underneath.

Oh, but for godsakes, if you watch the actual anime (and Isabel, for not being American you are spared this) do not watch the hideous blot that is the 4kids American localization. Almost everything worth watching in the series is destroyed by that editing company to make it 'hip and fun'. If you can find the Funimation episodes, great. Otherwise - do not watch the 4kids nightmare.

"You don't have to convince me you have a point. You have to convince me you have a viable one."

"A candle at noon means nothing
A candle at midnight, everything."
Old 10-21-2010, 02:53 PM
Hero of the Horn

DahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to DahLliA

tried One Piece a few years ago. didn't really get into it though.

only mangas I follow regularly are Naruto and Bleach. other than those I prefer animes

"'Profound... huh.' Temper was silent for a long moment, studying the cobbles of the alley mouth. And then he lifted his helmed head, faced Shadowthrone, and said, 'Fuck off.'"
Old 10-21-2010, 03:07 PM
Hero of the Horn

Isabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to behold

Firseal: i do read other manga's as well But One Piece is my favourite.

I agree it's not for everyone. However, even americans can watch the subbed version. The original language is always better. Plus you learn some Japanese.

DahLliA : how much did you read before you quit?
Most people i know who's favourite series was Naruto or Bleach switch to One Piece, because it's more epic and keeps getting more epic, instead of suckier.

BTW Firseal: have you read chapter 601?
'Rand al'Thor, Nynaeve shrieked, that is the most outrageous thing I ever heard out of your mouth. The very idea of telling three women you love them! You are worse than a lecher. You apologize right now!'

Isabel sedai of the Green Ajah, Amyrlin of the Official Nynaeve Fanclub, first sister to Gennie Sedai of the Green Ajah, bonded to Camel, Wolf Gaidin, Jachthond and ghostrider.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:56 PM
Hero of the Horn

Firseal has much to be proud ofFirseal has much to be proud ofFirseal has much to be proud ofFirseal has much to be proud ofFirseal has much to be proud ofFirseal has much to be proud ofFirseal has much to be proud ofFirseal has much to be proud ofFirseal has much to be proud ofFirseal has much to be proud ofFirseal has much to be proud of

I am just pointing out that one has to get through the 'weirdness' layer before they get anywhere near liking the series. For most, that will be... slow. One Piece likes to smack folks in the face with the wacky.

It's like introducing a non-gamer who hated the Star Wars prequel triology to Darths and Droids. Yes, they might like it. How likely are they to read it long enough to find out?

Moreover I like dubbing with my translation if it is done competantly. Either way, though, getting One Piece anime in the US (without shady channels) means going to either 4kids or Funimation. 85% of those who go to 4kids will probably drop the series with a quickness. Hence my recommendation of Funimation.

And yes. I've read 601. Looks like the Pacifistas aren't going to hand Luffy and company their asses anymore, given that at least three of the crew can one shot the blasted things. I do find it interesting that Sentoumaru, rather than trying to outright kill Luffy, seems to want the captain to surrender and come with him (yeah, he opened fire with a big bloodly laser first but Luffy's been strong enough to survive that for eons).

Since when did anyone that high up in the World Government actually want Luffy alive at the end of the day? Especially as Sentoumaru identifies as a bloody Marine now?

"You don't have to convince me you have a point. You have to convince me you have a viable one."

Old 10-21-2010, 04:08 PM
Ancient

Zanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant future

If you want a WoT like Anime series try out The Twelve Kingdoms it doesnt come from a Manga like most Anime but it comes from a series of light novels by Fuyumi Ono... Of which the first four volumes of seven have been translated into English... though the first is hard to find. It is one of my favorite Anime.

An older one along the same lines is Fushigi Yuugi

Fullmetal Alchemist goes without saying as a story indepth.

Try also Rurouni Kenshin

A recent one I really likes was Eden of the East

For you GW players .hack//sign

Sites I generally go to to watch anime are http://www.anilinkz.com/, http://www.animecrazy.net/ and http://www.anime-sub.com/

I also have a megavideo subscription which allows me to watch more than 72 minutes a day.

Anime News Network is awesome.
the only Z

fairy dust for sale 8.99 per vial

"YES!" - Cary Sedai

"Perhaps science,... [is] simply magic with delusions of lack of grandeur." -Peter David, Restoration

The Greatest Thread

Last edited by Zanguini; 10-21-2010 at 04:12 PM.
Old 10-21-2010, 04:34 PM
Hero of the Horn

While I have yet to read the Light Novels, and the anime ends with a lightning abruptness, the Twelve Kingdoms is actually very well done. It can feel frightfully slow, but when it builds to a confrontation or the climax of a story arc, it really pulls out the stops.

I didn't really get into Fushigi Yuugi. I know it picks up, but when I ran into it I was reading better books and watching better series.

Full Metal Alchemist definitely. Though if you are going to watch the anime rather than read the manga, then watch Brotherhood (the second anime, which follows the manga storyline rather than branching off into an alternate line). The first core of the anime compresses a lot in which was explored at leisure in the first series, but ultimately the story is vastly superior in Brotherhood.

Kenshin is good, but again you can be screwed by bad adaptation companies. Avoid the cut-rate stylings of 'Samurai X' which is the same source material, but badly translated then reedited.

I've heard a lot of good things about Eden of the East, but I can't afford to pick up new series until I have a new job.

.hack//sign is an interesting little experiment. Designed as the first act of a multiple media experiment, it is about players in an MMORPG exploring a mystery which they realize is both underpinning the game they are all playing, and also reaching beyond it into the real world. The actual game is where they explore that mystery, but what they do in that game is immaterial to the story they are exploring and we are seeing through their eyes. It's well done, but it isn't the action packed thing many envision when one says, "MMORPG anime". It is more like a mystery being tracked by player avatars in an MMORPG world.

Nice links for news. Most of my old sources on anime are gone, but I still swear by Them Anime, a review site (with the occasional masterful crushing of low quality titles. I will never watch anything they give one start to, but reading them crucifying it sometimes is sublime), and aniDB.net, which is an index and database source for tracking anime.

Old 10-21-2010, 04:46 PM
Hero of the Horn

Matoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of light

Huge fan of manga and anime, myself. Much prefer anime to anything on American tv, for sure...and most manga are better than American comics as well.

Never got into One Piece manga nor anime (but then I've only seen parts of the awful dubbed 4Kids version of the anime...watched about 25ish episodes with my step-brother who loved it, Naruto, and Bleach...should try it in subs, but I have way too long a list of ones that I am more interested in to get to first. I also tend to prefer more serious stories to comedies...) I'm currently working my way through Noir, Serial Experiments LAIN, Darker than BLACK II, and Gun x Sword...kinda alternating every other episode between them all.

As an aside: If you want a more serious manga, look for things in the Seinin category...also, anything by Naoki Urasawa is absolutely PHENOMENAL. Monster, Pluto (Astro Boy combined with Monster, essentially), and 20th Century Boys are the ones I've read of his, and they're great. I kinda view him as the Alan Moore of manga. (Except people tend to have much nicer things to say about Naoki...he has much fewer haters than Moore does)

EDIT: Re FMA: The original anime of FMA was created when the manga was still ongoing, and the Mangaka requested that they create a completely different ending than what she had planned for the manga so as to not spoil things, and so they could have creative freedom and not have to create filler. It's still a very very good anime, just look at it as an alternate continuity/universe/timeline (like End of Evangelion for Neon Genesis Evangelion, and Rebuild of Evangelion)

[Gawyn] probably pops his collar. - Kivo
Mat's hat is a Darkfriend. - Daekyras

Last edited by Matoyak; 10-21-2010 at 04:55 PM.
Old 10-21-2010, 04:49 PM
Ancient

Zanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant futureZanguini has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firseal View Post
.hack//sign is an interesting little experiment. Designed as the first act of a multiple media experiment, it is about players in an MMORPG exploring a mystery which they realize is both underpinning the game they are all playing, and also reaching beyond it into the real world. The actual game is where they explore that mystery, but what they do in that game is immaterial to the story they are exploring and we are seeing through their eyes. It's well done, but it isn't the action packed thing many envision when one says, "MMORPG anime". It is more like a mystery being tracked by player avatars in an MMORPG world.
I know its about the mystery but i couldnt get into the other acts as much as i did the first
the only Z

fairy dust for sale 8.99 per vial

"YES!" - Cary Sedai

"Perhaps science,... [is] simply magic with delusions of lack of grandeur." -Peter David, Restoration

The Greatest Thread
Old 10-21-2010, 07:46 PM
Hero of the Horn

DahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabel View Post
DahLliA : how much did you read before you quit?
Most people i know who's favourite series was Naruto or Bleach switch to One Piece, because it's more epic and keeps getting more epic, instead of suckier.
I got the first book along with another manga I bought some time. so I've read the first book. I think Firseal is right about the weirdness. that's what turned me off at least

"'Profound... huh.' Temper was silent for a long moment, studying the cobbles of the alley mouth. And then he lifted his helmed head, faced Shadowthrone, and said, 'Fuck off.'"
Old 10-21-2010, 10:43 PM
Hero of the Horn

Don't suppose any of you have read Bakuman?

Old 10-22-2010, 12:16 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
I am just pointing out that one has to get through the 'weirdness' layer before they get anywhere near liking the series. For most, that will be... slow. One Piece likes to smack folks in the face with the wacky.

It's like introducing a non-gamer who hated the Star Wars prequel triology to Darths and Droids. Yes, they might like it. How likely are they to read it long enough to find out?
In my case it was an annoying brother who kept saying that i should watch it.
So in the end I had something to drink and watched it with my best friend

Quote:
Moreover I like dubbing with my translation if it is done competantly. Either way, though, getting One Piece anime in the US (without shady channels) means going to either 4kids or Funimation. 85% of those who go to 4kids will probably drop the series with a quickness. Hence my recommendation of Funimation.
Dubbing?? Barbarian BTW, you can just go to any online streaming site to find a translated one piece. Much better Otherwise you miss out the voice of Franky

Quote:
Since when did anyone that high up in the World Government actually want Luffy alive at the end of the day? Especially as Sentoumaru identifies as a bloody Marine now?
Perhaps the Marines like another big execution?

Old 10-22-2010, 12:17 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Don't suppose any of you have read Bakuman?
No, should i?

Old 10-22-2010, 02:05 AM
Hero of the Horn

Matoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firseal
Heh, I don't table-top game (though I would like to), and I DESPISED the prequel trilogy (among the worst movies ever made as far as I'm concerned). Darths and Droids is AWESOME, though. Oh so great, and it makes the prequels not just bearable, but fun to boot.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:35 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matoyak View Post
Heh, I don't table-top game (though I would like to), and I DESPISED the prequel trilogy (among the worst movies ever made as far as I'm concerned). Darths and Droids is AWESOME, though. Oh so great, and it makes the prequels not just bearable, but fun to boot.
this. well into episode 2 and I started last night

thanks Firseal

Old 10-22-2010, 06:09 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabel View Post
No, should i?
Yes.

Bakuman is a manga about making manga, and the publishing industry involved therefore.

Despite how boring that sounds, it really isn't. It is also done by the team that produced Death Note. Now, I hated Death Note with a holy passion, but no one can say those guys don't know how to plot an interesting story, and in Bakuman they are actually doing something bright and hopeful rather than depressing and nihilistic.

Or, in simpler terms:

Again, yes. You should be reading Bakuman, Isabel.

Old 10-22-2010, 06:34 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
I hated Death Note with a holy passion, but no one can say those guys don't know how to plot an interesting story, and in Bakuman they are actually doing something bright and hopeful rather than depressing and nihilistic.
I loved Death Note until about 3/4ths of the way through the second season. At which point it got...boring at best. Also, the ending was a cop-out.

Also has a damn good soundtrack for the anime, and damn great art for the manga.

Bakuman is made by those guys? Hrm...might have to go check it out in that case...

Old 10-23-2010, 12:35 AM
Hero of the Horn

My problem with Death Note is that is remarkably hard to care about any story when your primary emotional response is, "is the main character dead yet? No? F*** it." By episode 3 of the anime I stopped going, 'interesting' and started going, 'just kill him already'.

Villains are great, but I don't root for them. Putting me in the reader's equivilent of following an irredeemable omnicidal maniac's wacky antics where he doesn't lose but does murder more and more people every episode in the most cowardly of possible ways didn't sit right. My least favorite anime based off story reasons (there are others who rate low for quality reasons) for years. Recently replaced, but that's a different rant.

Old 10-23-2010, 12:40 AM
Hero of the Horn

I actually liked Death Note. Untill the first good guy died Mostly because it was interesting in how he became evil.

I will check out Bakuman. (ok, after I have seen all the episodes of the Big Bang theory)

Old 10-25-2010, 11:35 PM
Ancient

Oatman is just really niceOatman is just really niceOatman is just really niceOatman is just really niceOatman is just really niceOatman is just really nice

I've been keeping up with One Piece. Quite enjoying it really. The only other manga I've been reading since FMA ended is Berserk. Awesome story, but has the most irregular release of anything I've ever tried to follow. The schedule is basically whenever the writer feels like releasing another one. Really dark, but has an epic feel to it.

"From the Oatman Prophecies."

Writer of the Breakfast Prophecies for the Lord of the Morning

RS is an idiot.