art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (1): schwassfore,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Book 13: Towers of Midnight
User Name
Password

Old 11-02-2010, 10:08 PM
Lord of the Board

Tamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tamyrlin
Default ToM Plot/World Errors

If you found an error (like last year's Sulin), post them here. It will make it easy to discuss them in one thread.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:20 AM
Youngling

Olver_is_a_Forsaken is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamyrlin View Post
If you found an error (like last year's Sulin), post them here. It will make it easy to discuss them in one thread.
In Chapter 30, on page 473(of the TOR edition), bottom of the page:

"He had visited this city only once"

Did Perrin not visit Caemlyn twice? Once in The Eye of the World and once in Lord of Chaos?

Last edited by Olver_is_a_Forsaken; 11-03-2010 at 12:29 AM.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:31 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Yup.

Also, off the top of my head, Perrin should have already known who Galad was - Tylee told him in KOD who was leading the Whitecloaks. Of course, it's possible that the name just didn't mean anything to him, but Breane Taborwin was serving tea when Tylee mentioned Galad. She would have known, though I suppose she might not have shared that info with Perrin. But Balwer? Faile hadn't yet been rescued.

Also, Luckers pointed out to me one I'd missed - Jur Grady informs Perrin that saidin has been cleansed, but he was informed of that in KOD also.

In a way, this is not surprising. Everyone is less familiar with KOD because it's a recent book. Most of us have read book 1 x times, and book 2 x-1 times, etc.

There were more but I can't call them to mind at the moment.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:39 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

Also, I am wondering if we should make theories on Alsalam, or if there is weirdness there. For one thing, Graendal was in Arad Doman well before Siuan was deposed, and I find it difficult to believe that Aes Sedai could have gotten him out from under her nose. It's possible she just didn't think him worth watching, but in TFOH, Rahvin notices an old man sitting among the performers through Graendal's gateway when she comes to call.

Somewhere between the prologue, where Graendal lost her ring angreal, and the epilogue, she traded some information to Mesaana for another angreal. I can think of a few things this might be, but Alsalam is one of them. And this makes me nervous, partly because of Mesaana's associations.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:45 AM
Elder

jana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond repute

Mat informs Mo that Rahvin has killed Morgase. (Yes, I know he already told her this in Book 5. That's not the error, that was intentionally funny).

The error is this:

He was at Perrin's camp post-Morgase-reveal

He was with Perrin at the inn post-Morgase-reveal

He was with Perrin in a later scene, post-Morgase reveal.

I find it hard to believe nobody bothered to tell him. After all, Perrin supposedly shared his whole story with him, and vice versa. And I imagine he would have seen Elayne at some point as well. Do I need to mention that Thom would have told him?
Old 11-03-2010, 04:38 AM
Youngling

lowlandr is an unknown quantity at this point

Not really a story error:

There is a scene between Egwene and Gawyn (just after the assasination attempt of the Bloodknives, when Egwene wakes up, IIRC (don't have the book)). Here the name of Gawyn has been replaced with Galad.

Death shall sow, and summer burn, before the Great Lord comes.
Death shall reap, and bodies fail, before the Great Lord comes.
Again the seed slays ancient wrong, before the Great Lord comes.

Now the Great Lord comes.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:42 PM
Youngling

wrmusgro is an unknown quantity at this point

They killed off Carlinya. However, Min has saw her with Raven tatoos which implicate the Seanchan. Therefore Brandon screwed up by killing her off prior to property of the Seanchan.

Also...I've got to say that "After the Taint" was a huge screw-up by Brandon. Perrin had found out a while ago that the Taint was gone.

However, this is what happens when the original author dies before a series is finished. I had always joked that since Jordan was dragging out WOT so much, he was going to die before it was finished. Looks like my joke turned out to be truth...
Old 11-03-2010, 12:46 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

The Carlinya one MIGHT be written off as the Pattern weakening and thus Min's viewings not being 100% anymore...but it was likely a mistake.

The Perrin/Jur Grady/Taint one was major though.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 11-03-2010, 01:14 PM
Youngling

adrienne has a spectacular aura aboutadrienne has a spectacular aura about

I found it odd that when Galad thought of Two Rivers he acted like it was a vague notion that he has that the dragon was from there.

He met Rand - and to top that off the girl he loved enough to start a war over was from there yet there was no mention of her. IMO that would have been a great way to say Egwene's home, but no things would never work with them, ect.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:38 PM
Youngling

Lambada is an unknown quantity at this point

One thing that lept out at me was at one point someone (Greandal?) saw weaves of the True Power being wielded by someone else. (Stabbing at the air to make a gateway IIRC).
I seem to recall reading somewhere that the True Power is undetectable unless you are the one wielding it. So while she should have seen the gateway form, she shouldn't have seen the weaves that formed it.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:43 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambada View Post
One thing that lept out at me was at one point someone (Greandal?) saw weaves of the True Power being wielded by someone else. (Stabbing at the air to make a gateway IIRC).
I seem to recall reading somewhere that the True Power is undetectable unless you are the one wielding it. So while she should have seen the gateway form, she shouldn't have seen the weaves that formed it.
Well, the explanation given in the scene is that she can see it because she also has access to the True Power.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 11-03-2010, 01:44 PM
Youngling

Zore is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought True Power traveling was like teleportation and not gateways?
Old 11-03-2010, 03:18 PM
Youngling

mayco is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure if this is a typo, but at some point in ToM near the beginning they expressed distance in miles, (Mat or Perrin) I thought they used leagues?
Old 11-03-2010, 03:20 PM
Youngling

SamJ will become famous soon enoughSamJ will become famous soon enough
Default Avi's vision of the future

Did anyone else think the timelines were off? It's implied we are a couple of decades after the last battle and none of the extremely long lived channelers we have seen are around or mentioned as if they might be alive. It could be fudged - but it felt off and ruined the impact of those scenes for me
Old 11-03-2010, 03:21 PM
Elder

Ieyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to behold

not really an error... but Tam being in two places and in two different timelines at the same time was a bit odd to me.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:23 PM
Elder

Ieyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamJ View Post
Did anyone else think the timelines were off? It's implied we are a couple of decades after the last battle and none of the extremely long lived channelers we have seen are around or mentioned as if they might be alive. It could be fudged - but it felt off and ruined the impact of those scenes for me
cant give spoilers about who lives and who dies in the last battle :P

but yeah I noticed no majors were mentioned in her vision as well and thought it strange.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:46 PM
Youngling

zanethanatos is an unknown quantity at this point

It might very well be intentional or they all died. They did mention that one person had been at the last battle, but again it was only the Aiel POV. I did notice the Tam thing as well, it confused me for a bit but I just assumed he had traveled there/back but it seems like it was more just a timeline issue.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:05 PM
Elder

jana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamJ View Post
I thought that was extremely odd too. Rhuarc's son is still alive, but Tuon's rule has obviously been over for quite some time, and sounds like "history" the way they're talking about it. Rhuarc's son had to be told by Rhuarc that she was honorable, and we know Tuon doesn't die in the last battle. Tuon would be 40 years older than Rhuarc's son at the most (if Rhuarc has kids later in life), but she's likely only 20 years older than him.

So if it's not an error I guess we have to assume Tuon was murdered or stepped down as Empress.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:19 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrmusgro View Post
They killed off Carlinya. However, Min has saw her with Raven tatoos which implicate the Seanchan. Therefore Brandon screwed up by killing her off prior to property of the Seanchan.
Ravens can also mean the Shadow, and Min was not able to interpret that viewing, so perhaps it only meant she would die at the Shadow's hands.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:15 PM
Hero of the Horn

WinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to WinespringBrother

on page 263, Perrin realized that Emond's Field changed drastically from when he was last there, yet he didn't have the usually difficulty "jumping" there in tel'aran'rhiod that people usually do when a place changes like that.

"Oh, y'all [Theorylanders] are awesome with awesome sauce, but you ask a lot of tricky questions. I had to watch myself with you guys." - Maria

"I need to RAFO more things, I'm not being very Robert Jordan..." - Brandon