art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (1): rtolhurstalle,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Book 13: Towers of Midnight
User Name
Password

Old 11-17-2010, 01:23 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez
Talking ROLL CALL! (Yes, I'm looking at you!)

Usually we do this on the non-WoT board, but most of our new members are hanging out here, so we're going to change the game a little bit. I'll make a list of questions; you copy the form and fill it out. We shall all get to know each other a little better.

1. How long have you been reading WoT?

2. Do you lurk and/or post at other WoT forums? Which ones?

3. When did you discover the online fandom?

4. Have you ever been to a WoT signing, with either RJ or Brandon? Tell us about it if you have!

5. What is your favorite WoT book? If you would rather, rank them all.

6. Who are your favorite WoT characters? Least favorite?

7. Are there any other books or series that you enjoy? As much as WoT? More?

8. What was your reaction to learning who killed Asmodean? Was it 'Yay!'? Was it 'You? No!'? Was it 'That's nice. Next!'?

9. Would you like to see Brandon write the prequels and outriggers? Or would you rather he stopped writing WoT novels after A Memory of Light?

10. Tell us something about yourself. Anything. It can be a random detail, or a 5-page essay. We are easygoing. (Except on Tuesdays.)

Also, if you joined any time in the last couple of years, you don't have to answer this one. We can see your join date. If you joined on Yuku or some other board lost in the mists of time:

X. When did you join Theoryland?

And these are also optional - perhaps only for the most hard core:

Y. What are your favorite WoT mysteries?

Z. Do you have any pet theories?
Old 11-17-2010, 01:38 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

Since about 2001. Winter's Heart wasn't yet out in paperback.

I lurk and post at Dragonmount, 13th Depository, rafo.com, and Leigh Butler's re-read on tor.com.

As soon as I discovered the internet, in 2004.

4. Have you ever been to a WoT signing, with either RJ or Brandon? Tell us about it if you have!

I have been to JordanCon and DragonCon, both this year. I am unreasonably proud of having won the individual trivia competitions at both.

I think that TSR and LOC are pretty much tied, and TFOH is close behind them. I must admit that the end is pretty exciting, though. Hard to compare the new books with the older ones.

My favorite has been Rand until now. I dislike the new Rand; he was much more interesting when he was crazy, and I don't trust SuperRand. Mat is of course awesome, and I even like Perrin more now. The more Egwene-hate I encounter, the more I like her. I'm a rebel like that. I also love the old Cadsuane. She's annoying now.

None as much as WoT. I have read ASOIAF and Malazan, and they're both good, though both have frustrated me for one reason or another.

8. What was your reaction to learning who killed Asmodean? Was it 'Yay!'? Was it 'You? No!'? Was it 'That's nice. Next!'?

Definitely 'Meh'.

9. Would you like to see Brandon write the prequels and outriggers? Or would you rather he stopped writing WoT novels after A Memory of Light?

I would like to see them written. I definitely agree with Brandon that it should stop there, but I don't really relate to his suggestion that it might be harder to stop after those.

10. Tell us something about yourself. Anything. It can be a random detail, or a 5-page essay. We are easygoing. (Except on Tuesdays.)

I am a music student, pretending to be a piano performance major. I only listen to Bach and Chopin.

October 2004, though I didn't join the message board (ezboard, now Yuku) until June 2005.

I think my favorite one by a long shot is the mystery of what the hell is going on in Rand's head at any given time. I'm also interested in theorizing about his death.

That Moiraine and Thom will rule Cairhien. I still believe that. That Dragonmount will blow. I still hope it destroys Tar Valon; that would rock. Though Aviendha's vision of the future seems to speak against it.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:01 PM
Hero of the Horn

WinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to WinespringBrother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
Usually we do this on the non-WoT board, but most of our new members are hanging out here, so we're going to change the game a little bit. I'll make a list of questions; you copy the form and fill it out. We shall all get to know each other a little better.

1. How long have you been reading WoT? 10 years

2. Do you lurk and/or post at other WoT forums? Which ones? 13th, DM, Tor

3. When did you discover the online fandom? 2000

4. Have you ever been to a WoT signing, with either RJ or Brandon? Tell us about it if you have! Just a few lol I've written up signing reports on them which can be found on Yuku and on this board. I was also a Storm Leader at the 2009 NYC signing.

5. What is your favorite WoT book? If you would rather, rank them all. TDR

fav: Perrin, Moiraine
least fav: Valan Luca, Elaida

7. Are there any other books or series that you enjoy? As much as WoT? More? Not more than WOT, but yes. Too many to list them all. Currently reading (or waiting for new books) by Brandon Sanderson, Patrick Rothfuss, Joe Abercrombie, and Peter Brett.

8. What was your reaction to learning who killed Asmodean? Was it 'Yay!'? Was it 'You? No!'? Was it 'That's nice. Next!'? Meh, knew it all along, the presentation was somewhat of a whimper, I need more details dammit!

9. Would you like to see Brandon write the prequels and outriggers? Or would you rather he stopped writing WoT novels after A Memory of Light? If he waits a few years so the new novels will be fresh, then yes.

10. Tell us something about yourself. Anything. It can be a random detail, or a 5-page essay. We are easygoing. (Except on Tuesdays.) In general, I think it is good to not take yourself too seriously

Also, if you joined any time in the last couple of years, you don't have to answer this one. We can see your join date. If you joined on Yuku or some other board lost in the mists of time:

X. When did you join Theoryland? 2002

Will the Shadow or the Light ever use common sense?
Will people ever finally stop believing in Tainendred?
What does Shaidar Haran do in his spare time?

Ishydin is/was a ta'veren.
Beslan is a darkfriend.
So is Bashere.
Rand is linked to the Creator.

"Oh, y'all [Theorylanders] are awesome with awesome sauce, but you ask a lot of tricky questions. I had to watch myself with you guys." - Maria

"I need to RAFO more things, I'm not being very Robert Jordan..." - Brandon
Old 11-17-2010, 02:01 PM
Lord of the Board

Tamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tamyrlin
Default It's been too long

I can't remember the last time I filled one of these out...

Since '91 iirc.

I lurk at them all.

A few...but I think most know all about them. For noobs, DragonCon '05 was epic.

I ranked them recently in my review; I love books 4-6.

Favorite
Mat
Min
Lanfear
Verin

Least
Cadsuane
Berelain
Gawyn
Egwene

Death Gate Cycle by Weis and Hickman

Something like, "******* ridiculous"...and then, "it's over, what a relief"

I would like to see the world continue to expand, and I believe with his experience, Brandon is the best person to do so.

Since starting Theoryland I've had three kids (although my wife did all of the tough work.) My eldest is now ten years old and just asked me when he could start reading the Wheel of Time.

Hah! Um, 1998.

From those that remain?

Verin - what don't we know? I'd love to learn more.

Lanfear - why she has made it this far and what she will mean to the end, if anything?

Demandred - I'll be terribly disappointed if this isn't something fantastic.

Fain - How will he change the end of this Turning?

Z. Do you have any pet theories?[/QUOTE]

You've heard them all.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:07 PM
Elder

One Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to all

Since November 1994.

Nope.

April/May 2001

One with RJ in 2003. Is was awesome, I totally had a pet theory that got completed crushed by a single statement.

TDR is probably still my favorite. TSR, TFoH and LoC are up there too and ToM is growing on me.

Mat and Perrin (to a lesser extent prior to ToM) are my favorites. I think Rand was best in the first 6 books, after that I increasingly wanted to punch him in the face for not realizing what he was doing, but he did make for a very interesting character. I like the new Rand, probably for the same reason Terez doesn't, I don't trust him 100% and worry about the concequences of his TP usage and link with Moridin. Least liked, total tie between Egwene and Elayne.

The Name of the Wind might possible be the single best book I have read (you know, right behind "There's a Wocket in My Pocket"). I look forward to the rest of the books in the Kingkiller Chronicles, and the same with the Stormlight Archive.

Figured.....lame.

Nope, I want this to end with AMoL.

There's a Wocket in My Pocket is in fact one of the greatest books of all time. I got a brand new copy of it for my 18th birthday and have the book memorized. I read it to my kids from time to time and I can not wait to get them their own copy.

May/June 2001

Verin, Demandred (though its been getting dragged along way too much), Rands TP usage (permission or link).

I have this strong gut feeling that Rand's wounds still have a significant role to play, not really a pet theory per se, but something I have thought for a while.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:13 PM
Youngling

lord Mordeth is just really nicelord Mordeth is just really nicelord Mordeth is just really nicelord Mordeth is just really nicelord Mordeth is just really nicelord Mordeth is just really nice

Since 1996 - the guy that lent me EotW was a douche, but he gets plenty of credit for that!

No

Back in '99

I've been to the last two with Brandon in NYC; I stupidly skipped the KD one, and we know what happened after that

TSR; the perfect combination of world-building, character development, and self-contained plots.

Rand, Fain. Least favourite: Egwene atm.

None as much as WoT, but aSoIaF was good until GRRM lost the plot (literally).

Total blah.

I think they'd be fine. After all, no-one's forcing me to read them, and they'd hardly destroy the series' legacy. Seeing Moiraine and Lan reach the Two Rivers would be good.

My handle comes from the stage name I used in a high school death metal band. We played one gig, for a free pint of beer each.

Late '99. After several years of lone fanaticism, it was a revelation

The body swap. I first proposed it 10 years ago, and am hoping to see it realized in 2012.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:16 PM
Elder

dominominic has a brilliant futuredominominic has a brilliant futuredominominic has a brilliant futuredominominic has a brilliant futuredominominic has a brilliant futuredominominic has a brilliant futuredominominic has a brilliant futuredominominic has a brilliant futuredominominic has a brilliant futuredominominic has a brilliant futuredominominic has a brilliant future

Quote:

Since just after Lord of Chaos hit paperback.

Ocassionally lurk on Dragonmount but dont like the tone and those huge sigs they use hurt my eyes. Dragonmount works better on iPhone though, Theorylands formatting gets messed up on mobile Safari.

Really not until a few months before RJ died.

'Fraud not.

TDR and TSR because those were the ones I started with. I was so susceptible to Epic Fantasy back then and I remember how real they felt.

I still search out Rand's chapters because it really is his story but I liked Domon and Pedron Niall for some reason too. Ive got no time for Elaida or Masema though.

I loved Roger Zelanys Amber series and Gene Wolfes Severian books.

Wait, Asmodean is dead?

I'm not interested in any outriggers. I haven't even read NS yet. I remember getting angry when that came out. Get on with it, I thought!

I like oil painting, writing short poems and limericks and handmaking greeting cards. My avatar is a card I made but I've made many more, including a corset card. Oh, and I'm a sucker for a bad pun!

Nothing to see here.

I'm itching to see what the other flaw on Callandor is just because characters keep bringing it up and dropping it!

Not really but I am always convinced that anyone who looks a bit llike Demandred IS him. Oh and I thought for a while that Callandor was a Sa'angreal for the TP but I can't back that up at all!

-Ted Danson
Old 11-17-2010, 02:21 PM
Elder

Khoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant future

Hmm... I've been reading WoT for almost 8 years now. I have fond memories of seeing CoT on my dad's bedside table, and eventually I got to reading the books. I never put them down.
I used to be a member of wotism.net, but it shut down (which sucks!) and I lurk a bit on Dragonmount and tor.com (anything that has to do with WoT) from time to time.
Back in 2005 - I was browsing, and found wotism.net - joined in February 2005. Wow, I can't believe I still remember that!
Unfortunately, no - there's nothing close enough to me - which is why I I'm wishing for something to take place in Montreal - or at least somewhere close by (Ottawa's pretty close, too.)
Hmm... difficult... I've never actually thought about it.

From favourite to least favourite (but in no way disliked):
LoC
tEotW
tGH
tSR
ToM
tFoH
tDR
tGS
KoD
aCoS
PoD
NS
CoT (just because this is near the bottom doesn't mean I disliked it - I just liked the others more)
WH

I've never particularly liked Elayne, and I hated Elaida; it was only recently that I really began to have a new-found appreciation for Egwene (somewhat) and Nynaeve. And as awesome as Min is, she doesn't play as big a role for me. There are really too many characters that I dislike (to some degree or another) to list.

My relative favourites are:
Mat, Perrin, Rand, Lan, Moiraine, Thom.
I really enjoyed Stephen R. Donaldson's Thomas Covenant series (multiple), and Terry Brooks' Shannara series (original, and Scions of Shannara series, too).
More along the 'That's nice. Next!' lines, cause it really didn't bother me that much - I think the fact that it was discussed so much online influenced my way of viewing the event, but when I finally found out, I found it was extremely anti-climactic.
This one's difficult, cause I would love to see the prequels and outriggers take form, but I don't think Brandon will continue - it's already taken 20 years to get this close to finishing the series. Although, seeing as Brandon has the experience now, if the outriggers and prequels were to take form, he'd be the best to write them.
It's a good thing it isn't Tuesday

Let's see... I'm currently enrolled in Concordia University in Montreal, Canada, pursuing a Bachelor of Arts degree in Honours History: Public History with Internship - it's my first semester in Uni. right now. I'm planning on eventually getting my PhD (I'm thinking far into the future ) and most likely going into the Canadian Military relatively soon (probably after I get my BA, but after I go away to Germany to work for a year. Yeah, I squeezed that fact in there ). AND my passion is Military History of the 20th century, although I mostly concentrate on the Second World War.
I'm a devout Catholic (and proud of it!) and am one of the leaders of a Youth Group in my parish - we're extreme, awesome, and legen-wait for it, and I hope you aren't lactose-intolerant, cause the next word is gonna be DAIRY, we're legendary. True story.
I like to think I'm smart, too. More often than not I'm right, but only before I put anything into writing or into words.

I guess I'm not hardcore enough, eh? No outstanding favourite WoT mysteries do I have.
Aside from Elayne giving birth on the rocks of Shayol Ghul, thus fulfilling the "and His blood shall be spilled on the rocks of Shayol Ghul"? Nope, none that I can think of.

Life is a dream from which we all must wake before we can dream again.

Al dival, al kiserai, al mashi! - For light, glory, and love!

Carai an manshimaya ayend'an! - Honor of my blade for the fallen.

Last edited by Khoram; 11-17-2010 at 02:25 PM.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:22 PM
Youngling

amazinglarry is a glorious beacon of lightamazinglarry is a glorious beacon of lightamazinglarry is a glorious beacon of lightamazinglarry is a glorious beacon of lightamazinglarry is a glorious beacon of lightamazinglarry is a glorious beacon of lightamazinglarry is a glorious beacon of light

Started reading the series right before FoH came out, I was in high school at the time and a friend recommended it. I stopped reading for a few years after I was disappointed with the ending of CoS, but picked it up again after CoT came out.

Occasionally lurk at Dragonmount and 13th Depository but not on a regular basis, I read the Leigh Butler re-read but have never posted a comment on it.

I remember reading the FAQ in the mid-to-late 90's but never participated in the newsgroup.

Nope.

I would rank books 1-6, TGS and ToM all about equally.

Favorites: I'm interested in Taim and who he is, and like everyone else I like Mat. The gholam was pretty cool too.

Least favorites: Cadsuane, the *Gars for being boring villains, Faile up until ToM

I love Lord of the Rings and Song of Ice and Fire, would like to read Way of King soon. Love anything by Philip K. Dick too.

Disappointment at how it was revealed and who it was. Lanfear via the wishes would've been more interesting!

Would love to see him write the prequels and outriggers! He's done an excellent job so far.

I'm a molecular biologist.

First started reading the theories and boards around the time CoT came out, didn't sign up for an account until later, and didn't post much for several years.

Who is Mazrim Taim?

Taim is an authentic AoL'er, not a 3rd ager.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:25 PM
Hero of the Horn

Infidel has disabled reputation

Nope.

Nope.

The Shadow Rising.

Malazan Book of the Fallen.

RJ is a lying bastard. Again.

Curmudgeon.

Rand will retire to the Two Rivers, burnt out, the world thinking him dead, to live out his days with Min.

Or become a drooling, mindless idiot, to live out his days with Min.

You ask too many damned questions, Terez.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:26 PM
Elder

Casabamelon has a brilliant futureCasabamelon has a brilliant futureCasabamelon has a brilliant futureCasabamelon has a brilliant futureCasabamelon has a brilliant futureCasabamelon has a brilliant futureCasabamelon has a brilliant futureCasabamelon has a brilliant futureCasabamelon has a brilliant futureCasabamelon has a brilliant futureCasabamelon has a brilliant future

95 or 96. A teacher loaned me whatever was out at the time. I took a class and then was teachers aid, so I can't remember which time he loaned them to me.

Used to @ Dragonmount. Too many idiots, too much work keeping up. TL has the best thinkers.

When I discovered the WotFAQ (I miss it so). I think 4/5 books before it stopped updating.

Negative. Too many more important things to do.

The Gathering Storm. Simply put, I had lost faith in the series. I didn't think it would end, and was not enjoying the books as much. I used to do a full reread before each new book. Not by the end. For CoT and KoD, I did NOT do a reread. I was done, and TGS revitalized me, therefore it is my favorite.

I think Elayne is painful sometimes, but love them or hate them, I think I'm feeling the emotions the author wants me to feel, so I like them all.

Raymond E. Feist. The Riftwar Saga, specifically. I read all of his stuff through the end of the Serpentwar Saga. Checked Wikipedia, looks like he kept writing, I just stopped reading. I really like RA Salvatore's adventures with Drizzt. I like thrillers, too. Vince Flynn, etc.

But... WoT is the only series I own in Hardback, and the majority are first runs. So, I guess nothing I like quite as much. Maybe Harry Potter? *ducks*

I'm glad that's over.

I think the outriggers/prequels can be done right if handled with care. Think the Star Wars Expanded Universe.

My life changed completely with the birth of my daughter. I read the last two Harry Potter books in one sitting, on release day(night). TGS, I read fairly quickly, after I got it from the library. ToM took me over a week. Sure, I could make more time to read, I just don't WANT to. I'd rather spend it with my family.
________
Cmx250C

Last edited by Casabamelon; 04-04-2011 at 09:44 AM.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:40 PM
Youngling

SaintChristobel is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been reading WoT since the summer of 2005, right before my 15th birthday, I got through the first three books in under a month, I couldn't put them down. Since then I've read the series twice over, excluding TofM as I just finished it.

I sometimes browse on Dragonmount and sometimes on Brandon's website. Theoryland is the only one I actually have an account on and post on (not very often though)

Almost immediately after I finished the third book. I was on a roadtrip while reading books 1-3 (my obsession with them really detracted from the sightseeing lol). As soon as I got back home I found encyclopaedia-wot and Dragonmount. I didn't stumble upon Theoryland for a couple of years.

Never have; Tor doesn't seem to like to send those fellas up Canada way, leastways not in the last 5 years. I'll always regret never making it to an RJ signing before he died. Kinda like I never got to see George Carlin live before he died. I plan to get to one of Brandon's signings for A Memory of Light, no matter where it is.

1 - The Shadow Rising
2 - The Great Hunt
3 - The Gathering Storm
4 - Towers of Midnight (this is a VERY close 3 and 4)
5 - The Eye of the World
6 - The Fires of Heaven
7 - Knife of Dreams
8 - Lord of Chaos
9 - The Dragon Reborn
10 - Winter's Heart
11 - A Crown of Swords
12 - The Path of Daggers
13 - Crossroads of Twilight

I LOVE Rand. He is by far my favourite, although I love all the Wonderboys. Concerning the Wondergirls, I used to hate all of them, but recently as I'm growing older I have a lot more respect for Egwene and Nynaeve. Still can't stand Elayne though. I love Min and Aviendha. Among other characters I really like: Moiraine, Lan, Berelain, Siuan, Lanfear, Talmanes.

I really love all that Brandon has written, Mistborn and Way of Kings are some of my favourite novels outside of WoT. I really dig Sword of Truth by Terry Goodkind, although it's no WoT. I also really love His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman nd A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin. Also, Lord of the Rings, but I think that's a given for every WoTmaniac isn't it?

Disappointed. I thought it was too easy to attribute it to that character. Plus, there really wasn't any huge revelation, it was just like "oh yeah, btw, this character killed Asmodean. Move on you stupid readers..."

I don't know, to be honest. I'd rather just have WoT finished after AMoL; not to have to worry about what the next book has, although I do love the anticipation, it will be weird not to be constantly wondering about the next in the series. The prospect of an outrigger novel is enticing though, WoT has been a huge part of my life and I don't think I would be particularly opposed if Brandon/Harriet/Tor decided to expand the canon a little bit.

Since I was 12 years old, whenever I read a book I set a cast of actors and actresses to play the major characters (and minor ones too). It's just a thing I do, and I can't get through a book unless I have a very clear picture of the actor I want as the character. Sometimes it will cause me no end of grief if I get hung up on a certain character (Gareth Byrne for instance, until I decided George Clooney with a beard would do). Also, maybe it's just easier for me to do this, or maybe it's a testament to my selfishness but I always seem to play the main character in my head. So yes, for the past 13 books Rand al'Thor has been played by me, and I doubt I would be very happy if they made a film of WoT without yours truly in the main role. As for other actors who appear in my head: Johnny Depp as Mazrim Taim, Ralph Fiennes as Demandred, Daniel Cudmore as Perrin, Nick Stahl as Mat, Catherine Zeta-Jones as Siuan Sanche and Kate Beckinsale as Berelain.

Off the top of my head, two or three months ago.

I loved Asmodean until they (in my opinion) copped out on who the killer was. I love the Snakes and Foxes and how they're never fully explained to the public, and I loved how Brandon gave us such an in depth exploration into their 'species' in ToM. I loved guessing Verin Sedai's motives until she was killed off last year. Currently my favourite mystery has to be what will become of Lanfear (Rand in the epilogue of ToM) and what is going on in the Black Tower (although it's pretty clear). Also, Nakomi is a big thing too.

Off the top of my head, nope!
Old 11-17-2010, 02:40 PM
Elder

Rand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of light

About 6 years. Discovered it while in high school, been hooked ever since.

This is the first.

Never really gave it to much thought until recently.

No, wish that I had, but no.

Probably Shadow Rising or Knife of Dreams. Both are my favorite.

Mat and Rand as my favorites. Mat because he's awesome and hasn't had ANY power tripping, and Rand because it is interesting to see his personality change over the course of the series.

My least favorite: Egwene who has a Feminazi look on life where she thinks only women are competant at the important things, and Elayne who's foolish recklessness has gotten hundreds killed.

The "Dragon's Wild" series and the "Temeraire" series rank right up there. Especially the "Temeraire" series, because it tells of the Napoleonic Wars, except dragons of various breeds and sizes are included.

I wondered about it, but really wasn't bothered that it was Graendal.

I would hope he would right outrigger and prequel novels, as I would like a few more backstories and I would like to know what happens after TG.

21 years old, college student, born and raised in South East Wyoming, big Wyoming Cowboys fan, don't really care for pro-sports, enjoy watching anime, NCIS, and paranormal shows (Ghost Hunters and Destination Truth), and enjoy reading fiction/fantasy books with the occasional scf-fi thrown in there. Also a huge history nut, and more oriented towards military history than other parts.

A few days ago.

Y. What are your favorite WoT mysteries? How will the Last Battle be fought? Will Rand live (either comes back alive or just plain lives through) through TG? What happens to the main characters after TG? Does Mat finally give in to being a Lord?

Olver has some unknown importance in the series. Egwene get's that stick out of her *** (long shot, I know). Tuon will disband slavery and leashing of channelers will the help/being convinced by Mat. The Two Rivers becomes it's own country.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:41 PM
Youngling

Raralith is an unknown quantity at this point

I first started reading WoT almost a decade ago. The first 100 pages of The Eye of the World were quite boring to me so it took me forever to finally finish the first book. After that, I pretty much burned through the available series which I think was book 9 at the time.

I've only lurked here, but I come every few years so it looks different every time it seems; I remember everything (forum backgrounds, front page, etc...) were green. I come after every new book to read others thoughts and theories.

After I read book 9, and was waiting for book 10. It was interesting reading the theories, especially when they came true too.

Nope.

That's a tough one, but I'd have to say books 3 through 6 were the best and I'd rank those pretty evenly.

My favorate is probably Matt and Tuon, least favoriate would be Perrin but his story was much better in book 13 and 14.

I enjoy the series A Song of Fire and Ice by George RR Martin, but I'm getting rather disappointed at his pace, i.e. non existant. Other than ASoFaI and WOT, I don't really read fantasy books.

Eh, I thought it was pretty dumb learning it from the glossary.

I wouldn't mind a more expanded series whether it be from Brandon or anyone else. I think the WoT series is quite good, and more books/lore would be interesting.

I used to hate reading due to the subjects I had to read in highschool. When I picked up this series, of which I still disliked reading but I just had surgury so I was bed ridden for 6 months, it still took me around 2 months to read the first 100 pages since I found them boring. It picked up, I probably read all 9 books at the time in a few months, and now I love to read books.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:42 PM
Elder

Basel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant future

Quote:

1. Since 1996, a weird college prof. turned me on to it.

2. I lurked on Dragonmount for awhile, but you guys are much more interesting.

3. Online fandom discovery would coincide with my join date here.

4. No. Wish I could.

5. Favorite is TSR (as with many). The sequence in the columnns is by far my favorite.

6. Favorite: Moiraine, Verin, Lan

Least Favorite; (only because of the excritiatingly long story arc) Perrin and Faile. Much better in last 2 books though.

7. I love ASOIAF, but if GRRM thinks he can keep a fan base with 5-6-7 years between books, I think he needs his head examined. Codex Alera was very good, but nowhere close to WoT.

8. I actually cared about this and then the reveal was like...meh...

9. If anyone writes them, it should be Brandon. No Star Wars crap with a dozen different authors doing it. I love to stick to a series, so if he writes them, I'll get them and enjoy them. After all, I am one of two people I know who loved the Star Wars prequel movies...

10. I'm not nearly as much of an asshole as it seems reading posts, emails, texts. I sincerely believe in the necessity of tone, body language and inflection to accurately convey a thought.

Pet theories? Nothing original. I like the idea of one of the Forsaken being turned back, but...
Old 11-17-2010, 02:49 PM
Elder

Ieyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to behold

1. How long have you been reading WoT? 1990

2. Do you lurk and/or post at other WoT forums? Which ones? Waste of time

started lurking here around 1999ish didnt post for a couple years however.

yes

The Dragon Reborn

Lan and Rand favs
Elayne and Egwene least favs

I enjoy many series, none more than WoT however.

who cares

no. i dont particularly like sanderson writing wot as it is. I deliberately held off reading any of his series till after TGS to not be biased. After TGS i read his stuff and I think his own books are garbage. hell even salvatore writes better imo.

I enjoy history.

I joined earnestly during the yuku age, made an account or two to post prior to that... been lurking almost since inception.

LTT voice

yes
Old 11-17-2010, 02:51 PM
Elder

One Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel View Post

Curmudgeon.
For your drinking pleasure: Curmudgeon Old Ale
Old 11-17-2010, 02:53 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel View Post
You ask too many damned questions, Terez.
Sorry? Thanks for answering, though; that was awfully damned sweet of you.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:10 PM
Hero of the Horn

Jokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Jokeslayer

Since summer 2003. Or it might have been 2004, I forget.

I used to lurk at Wotmania and I usually lurk at dragonmount around release dates.

February 2005.

I have not.

TEOTW, TGH and LOC are my top three. Then all the rest, then COT (though I haven't actually read COT in a long time, and probably haven't read it more than twice, the same number of times I've read TOM, so I might be being a bit unfair on it)

Favourite: Perrin, Lan, late-series/post-marriage Nynaeve, Egwene before TOM/when I can forget that the series isn't about the White Tower, Moridin

Least favourite: I like Mat a lot less than everyone else seems to. I really did not like Egwene in TOM.

ASOIAF is very good (though George Martin not finishing it pisses me off), Discworld is excellent for the most part but I think it's past its best

I'm glad it wasn't one of the stupider answers. I don't really care that much, though, and never did once it became obvious that who killed him was ridiculously irrelevant.

I would rather he stopped at AMOL, though if anyone is going to do write the others, I would prefer it to be him.

I just like it when my post count goes up.

14th of February 2005 for the main site, the mssage boards would be about a month after that

I can't think of anything at the minute that won't be a plot point in the last book, like How Will Rand Win Tarmon Gaidon? and What Will Nynaeve Tug Until Her Braid Grows Back?

Whatever Rand is going to do, he'll do it from within TAR. Lan will die and Nynaeve will pull a whatever that queen's name from way back when was (actually this is quite unlikely but I like mad theories because it's fun when they're right). There's a Creator version of the True Power (TOM suggests thius might be the Pattern itself; also this may have been ruled out by interview quotes, I haven't kept up with those in the last year or two and it occurs to me I could look this up before I post, but no.) And one I haven't really looked into but mean to when I have some time: Ishamael/Moridin had his own reintegration/memory-recall moment.

Last edited by Jokeslayer; 11-17-2010 at 03:11 PM. Reason: speeling is hard
Old 11-17-2010, 03:28 PM
Youngling

Lironah is an unknown quantity at this point

Over half my life. It was summer of 1995, I think.

I post more at Dragonmount than here.

In 1996 I found #two.rivers on the efnet (IRC). I started out as Aviendha but they made me change it. For a while I used Sorilea or Mouse, but eventually I switched to Jalani because she was 16, and my 16th birthday was coming up.

I also joined the second most well-known email group at the time, and rose quickly through the ranks of their trivia rankings.

After I bored of those, I found myself a good WoT RP MUD, A Moment in Tyme, and started playing as the wolfsister named Lironah. After most of the WoT MUDs went kerflop, I didn't do much until I heard about the Storm Leaders. Been doing the forum thing off and on since then, but twitter more frequently.

I was a Storm Leader at the midnight release last year, and I went again this year to say hi to the Tower Guards. Never made it to one before then - RJ came within about an hour's drive of me once but I was busy that weekend.

I think The Gathering Storm is my current favorite. I also really like The Shadow Rising.

My favorite changes a lot. List has included Aviendha, Nynaeve, Perrin, and Faile. Faile used to be my least favorite character, but then Perrin on Tyme asked me to play her since I already had a Hunter for the Horn character. After that I softened on her.

I can't really say who's my favorite now. Probably Egwene, with Perrin a very close second.

I like The Lord of the Rings, The Chronicles of the Lensman, Watership Down, The Chronicles of Narnia, and The Book of Mormon. Um...I guess those are all about wars. So, probably anything about war and tactics works for me, but the WoT will always be my favorite.

I already knew who killed him. It was nice to have my formal vindication though.

I want to see Tam's story and more about the War of Power. Both war stories. You know me.

Good thing it's Wednesday. Um. I like to swordfight, and have studied several martial and sword arts. I also draw, write, sing, play the mandolin, and code in CSS and PHP. Now if only I could pick one of those and stick with it, I might have an actual career going on.

I also DMed the WoT RPG.

Whichever one I haven't figured out yet. There was Verin, and Mesaana, and Taim, but I've been pretty firm on all of them for the last year or two, so I wouldn't call them mysteries anymore. I guess the only one left is how Rand's going to seal the Bore, and I'm already formulating a theory on that one.

Mazridin. You know it's true.

Tags
roll call