art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (1): imichelinirandy,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Book 13: Towers of Midnight
User Name
Password

Old 11-18-2010, 06:40 PM
Youngling

Caveatar is a jewel in the roughCaveatar is a jewel in the roughCaveatar is a jewel in the roughCaveatar is a jewel in the rough
Default The Killer Sun and Twice Dawns the Day

Page 723 Malidra, Aviendha's trip through the columns

"...A mishmash of clothing. Tattered trousers, garments that might once have been shirts. Anything to keep the sun off during the day, because the sun could kill. And did. Malidra was the last of four sisters, two dead by the sun and hunger, one dead from the bite of a snake."

What happened with the sun?

[/begin wild idea]
Wild idea. No need for me to use Callandor. I have wild ideas already.

Twice dawns the day when his blood is shed.
Scenario
Rand breaks the Seals
The DO reaches out and contaminates the ionosphere with Darkness.
World goes dark.

Rand does his thing and DO is sealed. The darkness surrounding the planet in the ionosphere is removed causing the sun to shine again.
Viewers see the second apparent dawn for that day.
But removing the darkness reduces the protective layer of atmosphere and
the ionosphere degenerates over the next six or so generations ending up with the killing sun referred to by Malidra.
[/end wild idea]
Old 11-18-2010, 07:09 PM
Youngling

HunterOTS has a spectacular aura aboutHunterOTS has a spectacular aura about

I assumed it was because the three-fold land is a desert.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:14 PM
Elder

Rand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of light

I thought it was because that the Waste is a desert and that her siblings could not find any water/died of dehydration, which tends to happen in deserts if you don't have enough water.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:47 AM
Elder

gholam is an unknown quantity at this point

This is a classic case of reading too much between the lines.

The Sun turns killer because the Aiel grew soft on the wetlands and now they are unable to face the same desert sun which forged them into weapons
Old 11-19-2010, 01:53 AM
Youngling

HunterOTS has a spectacular aura aboutHunterOTS has a spectacular aura about

I don't think they were far enough removed from the waste to have lost whatever resistance to the sun they developed. I'm not even sure if they ever adapted to the waste, at least in the way that people in our world adapt to deserts. After all they are fair-skinned. I think they were just so devestated from their war with Seanchan that they had no resources to provide themself with clothing or shelter that could protect them from the sun. It was mentioned in a couple of those POVs in the ter'angreal that the Seanchan killed them whenever they gathered so I don't think they had access to their old sept roofs. No one would trade with them so they had no means of buying clothing. I don't think it had much to do with growing soft in the wetlands though.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:10 AM
Elder

FelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterOTS View Post
I assumed it was because the three-fold land is a desert.
Yes, heat stroke can indeed be deadly.

For more see, @TinkerPride at Twitter.com