art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7652

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Book 13: Towers of Midnight
User Name
Password

Old 11-18-2010, 09:26 PM
Youngling

shepherd79 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Will Jain Farstrider answer the call of the horn?

given that Jain seems to be one of the most famous and heroic people of the current age, does anybody else think he might come back in the final book when Mat blows the horn?
Old 11-18-2010, 09:37 PM
Youngling

amazinglarry is a glorious beacon of lightamazinglarry is a glorious beacon of lightamazinglarry is a glorious beacon of lightamazinglarry is a glorious beacon of lightamazinglarry is a glorious beacon of lightamazinglarry is a glorious beacon of lightamazinglarry is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherd79 View Post
given that Jain seems to be one of the most famous and heroic people of the current age, does anybody else think he might come back in the final book when Mat blows the horn?
Well, he doesn't have a cape, so I doubt it.

amazinglarry
Old 11-19-2010, 09:41 PM
Youngling

Enheduanna is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New Heroes

Quote:
Being tied to the Horn is based on self-sacrifice IIRC, Jain will come to the Horn, and so will Verin.
Old 11-20-2010, 04:37 AM
Elder

Jonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to Jonai Send a message via AIM to Jonai Send a message via MSN to Jonai Send a message via Skype™ to Jonai

Not not everyone gets bound to the Wheel. They both might answer the call but hard to say.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:04 AM
Youngling

The Mardy Asha'man is an unknown quantity at this point

I hadn't really thought about it but it seems to make sense he would be tied to the wheel after all he was a heroic old sod. That would be a funny conversation with mat after he blew the horn at TG if he is bound to the wheel now.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:14 AM
Hero of the Horn

Jokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Jokeslayer

Not all heroes are Heroes
Old 11-20-2010, 08:25 PM
Youngling

The Mardy Asha'man is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokeslayer View Post
True enough but he did sacrifice himself to get Moiraine and the others out of ToG and TG cant be won without 2 of those 3 for sure so I think he quilifies for Hero Status
Old 11-22-2010, 11:15 AM
Elder

subwoofer is just really nicesubwoofer is just really nicesubwoofer is just really nicesubwoofer is just really nicesubwoofer is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to subwoofer

Simply?-Yes. Will find the quote and edit, but bottom line Jain died clean. As epic an adventure as any.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:19 AM
Elder

Daekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond repute
Default Awesome!

More importantly, and way, way cooler, will Ingtar answer the call of the Horn? of Valere.

He just got carried away a bit this time, probably as a result of his marriage-gonzothegreat

Son of Nazbaque, Lord of Fire
Old 11-22-2010, 11:24 AM
Youngling

Caveatar is a jewel in the roughCaveatar is a jewel in the roughCaveatar is a jewel in the roughCaveatar is a jewel in the rough
Default Jain and the HornSounder

Quote:
Old Jain DID die to save the current HornSounder Himself. (As well as a couple of others.)
Maybe traveling with Mat so long gave him some sort of attachment.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:41 AM
Youngling

Edynol will become famous soon enoughEdynol will become famous soon enough

I would like to see Ingtar and Verin again, but I don't think they'd qualify. Ingtar did what he did for self redemption(Not saying he didn't do it for everyone else, but I think it was mainly for redemption). So I'm not sure if his deed would be found worthy.

Verin sacraficed herself and don't think she was seeking redemption because she was doing what she saw as right the whole time, but she did admit to doing some bad things, though she never said what exactly she did. But aside from that, I don't know how a channeler could be a Heroe because the OP cannot touch the dead. What would she do? Throw rocks or fight with her fists? But I might be wrong. Maybe the dead could still channel but not be not be attacked by the OP.

I'm not saying they won't be and if I'm wrong I'll jump for joy. I just don't think they would qualify.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:09 PM
Hero of the Horn

Ishara has disabled reputation
Send a message via MSN to Ishara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokeslayer View Post
This.

Just because we love them doesn't mean that they're the souls that Pattern needs to keep bound to the Wheel. It's not just about self-sacrifice, Birgitte shows us that, as do her descriptions of Gaidal.

Verin and Ingtar's sacrifices - while glorious - bring them back to zero. Maybe. Same with Farstrider. You did bad things, and you do one final good thing. It doesn't tip yo uover the scale, it brings you back to evens if you're lucky.

Rand: You are an insensitive bastard!!!
Mat: And you ruined another hat!

It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by lightening. -- Calvin

"Gee, I wish I could do magic! Maybe I'll try!" --SDog

Official Vixen of Theoryland and Theoryland Siren

Grain Goddess, the Rood Inverse, the Mad Glomper
Old 12-30-2010, 12:55 PM
Hero of the Horn

John Snow is just really niceJohn Snow is just really niceJohn Snow is just really niceJohn Snow is just really niceJohn Snow is just really niceJohn Snow is just really nice
Default Ok, glad I searched the forum before posting

my own highly original thoughts upon finishing ToM....

Jain Farstrider will be a Horn Hero....and I'd love to see it when Mat toots the thing and up pops Noal. The guy was one fine fighter in his younger days, remember, and not too shabby even as a geezer. And I would regard his epics as a positive part of his hero resume.

And, hi, everyone.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:26 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

I think it's at least somewhat likely. Farstrider was Compelled, most likely, so I don't think Ingtar is necessarily a good comparison. Verin maybe, since she did so much damage to the Shadow's plans. But Farstrider seems to have all the marks of a Hero, from his arrest of Fairheart in Malkier to his travels around the world to his sacrifice at Ghenjei.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:08 PM
Elder

FelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant future
Default Verin was Santhra in another Life. A Hero or Not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
Verin maybe, since she did so much damage to the Shadow's plans. But Farstrider seems to have all the marks of a Hero, from his arrest of Fairheart in Malkier to his travels around the world to his sacrifice at Ghenjei.

Verin might not wear a Cape... however the historical Santhra sounding awfully like who Verin was in her actions.

Quote:
“Whatever it is, you don’t even seem to know where to look.” Vandene shifted some of the books and manuscripts on the table, shaking her head. “So many subjects. The Trolloc Wars. The Watchers Over the Waves. The legend of the Return. Two treatises on the Horn of Valere. Three on dark prophecy, and—Light, here’s Santhra’s book on the Forsaken. Nasty, that. As nasty as this on Shadar Logoth. And the Prophecies of the Dragon, in three translations and the original. Moiraine, whatever are you after? The Prophecies, I can understand—we hear some news here, remote as we are. We hear some of what’s happening in Illian. There’s even a rumor in the village that someone has already found the Horn.” She gestured with a manuscript on the Horn, and coughed in the dust that rose from it. “I discount that, of course. There would be rumors. But what—? No. You said you wanted privacy, and I’ll give it to you.”

The Great Hunt, Chapter 22 "Watchers" -- Moiraine point of view; with Vandene (twin sister of Adeleas)
One wrote a book on the topic of the Black Ajah, another on the Forsaken.

For more see, @TinkerPride at Twitter.com
Old 12-30-2010, 05:22 PM
Elder

sleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond repute

But would Farstrider want to become a Hero? Undoubtedly it's a great honor to be chosen, but it also means they have to spend all their time in T'A'R and never get to join their loved ones in the regular afterlife. Birgitte and Gaidal are the only lovers we know among the Heroes. If given the choice, Farstrider would probably want to be with his wife.

On the other hand, this might turn out to be a good thing for the channeler/non-channeler couples--if Thom and Lan become Heroes, Moiraine and Nynaeve might be able to visit them in T'A'R. Theoretically, Nynaeve could even revive them every time they die by ripping them out of T'A'R like Moghedien did with Birgitte.

Thom/Lan die of old age > become young again in T'A'R > Nynaeve rips them out. Repeat as many times as needed.

Last edited by sleepinghour; 12-30-2010 at 05:27 PM.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:20 PM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Quote:
There's a good chance. IMNSHO, Famous is the key word in your question. Jain Farstrider is someone that people of all ages dream of being or being like. Aside from his books, Gleemen and bards tell tales of him and inspire the "common dream" required to hold a Hero in T'A'R to await the call of the Horn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enheduanna View Post
Being tied to the Horn is based on self-sacrifice IIRC, Jain will come to the Horn, and so will Verin.
Heros are bound to the Horn for a variety of reasons. Hawkwing wasn't noted for his self-sacrifice, but for his leadership and charisma. I don't have time to track down the references, but some Heros aren't even warriors in the conventional sense -- I want to say Anya The Wise Counselor is mentioned somewhere as an example of a non-warrior Hero.

(Now if I could just figure out which questions they go to. )

I met you in a past life. You were wrong then, too.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:27 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepinghour View Post
But would Farstrider want to become a Hero?
Doesn't matter:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ
Barnes and Noble chat 11 November 2000

Beth Silver from Austin, TX: Aside from the Heroes of the Horn waiting around in the World of Dreams, is there any kind of afterlife in Wheel of Time? Do the Heroes get a choice when they are linked to the Horn; can they retire, or take 'ordinary life' sabbaticals?

RJ: In answer to the first question, yes, there is an ordinary afterlife. In answer to the second, no. You cannot decide not to be a Hero linked to the Wheel.

Quote:
Theoretically, Nynaeve could even revive them every time they die by ripping them out of T'A'R like Moghedien did with Birgitte.
She can only rip a Hero out of Tel'aran'rhiod if one of two conditions is met:

1. Said Hero breaks the prescripts, as Birgitte did.

2. The Need is great enough that Nynaeve can find said Hero anyway.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:52 PM
Youngling

Cortar is a glorious beacon of lightCortar is a glorious beacon of lightCortar is a glorious beacon of lightCortar is a glorious beacon of lightCortar is a glorious beacon of lightCortar is a glorious beacon of lightCortar is a glorious beacon of light

Do we even know how Heroes are made/tied to the horn? Im not sure if the books mentioned how but I see two possibilities:

1. A Hero is spun out by the wheel, destined to do great things etc

2. Someone does something really awesome, the pattern recognizes it and spins him into a Hero by tying him to the horn

if it is number 2 then I think Jain would qualify, he HAS done a lot of stuff and traveled to many places, and along with his death that is probably enough to make him a Hero
Old 12-30-2010, 10:37 PM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortar View Post
Do we even know how Heroes are made/tied to the horn? Im not sure if the books mentioned how but I see two possibilities:
No we don't know from anything in the books or interviews HOW or WHY. All we know is that there are a hundred or more Archetypal Heroes who are bound to the Horn of Valere and that the Pattern spins them out as needed to correct imbalances in the Wheel of Time.

Quote:
1. A Hero is spun out by the wheel, destined to do great things etc
This is true. We know this from Birgitte's missing Gaidal Cain and from RJ's explanations in the interview database -- linked in Terez's signature along with other online resources.

Quote:
2. Someone does something really awesome, the pattern recognizes it and spins him into a Hero by tying him to the horn
This is also true. We know this from Hawkwing's comment to Hurin at Falme and from RJ's comments in Terez's interview database.

Quote:
if it is number 2 then I think Jain would qualify, he HAS done a lot of stuff and traveled to many places, and along with his death that is probably enough to make him a Hero
Jain Farstrider is probably one of the archetypal Heroes already tied to the Horn and spun out to fulfill some Hero's Destiny -- Which may or may not have been his sacrifice in the Tower of Ghenjei.

I think he would qualify for addition if he weren't already Bound to the Horn, but he's too much of an archetype to not be bound already.

Quote:
Do we even know how Heroes are made/tied to the horn?
My theory is that the Heroes Of The Horn are "elected" and shaped by the strength of their presence in the repertoire of gleemen and bards -- the popularity of tales of each Hero's best known incarnation determine that Hero's identity in T'A'R.

It is a Hero's place in the "Group Consciousness" that powers their presence in T'A'R and perhaps their place/rank in the band when called by the Horn.

(Now if I could just figure out which questions they go to. )

I met you in a past life. You were wrong then, too.