art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Book 13: Towers of Midnight
User Name
Password

Old 12-02-2010, 12:19 AM
Youngling

Terrace is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Poll: So what do you think about JesusRand?

Am I the only one who's a little weirded out by the new Rand2.0? I don't dislike him at all.. I just liked the old (non-crazy) Rand who'd mess up or just barely scrape by. Like he just destroyed half of rhuidean, or callandored half his army wtf. The battles were more poignant.

tldr: damn you sanderson. what poll?

Last edited by Terrace; 12-02-2010 at 12:46 PM.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:02 AM
Elder

Rand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of light

Not really. He just basically merged with his past selffrom 3000 years before and gained 400 years of wisdom from that life. Plus, he came to terms with everything that had been haunting him up to that point (like the list of women's names he would go over). It was a huge weight off of his shoulders and was able to come to his senses.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:58 AM
Youngling

Servus Christi is on a distinguished road

My only regret is that it didn't happen sooner. We're only going to have such a short time with Rand Sedai.

I don't think it will be too jarring when we really get in his head. His life as Rand will dominate, his life as Lews Therin will be as a dream, he'll probably be more like the man he would have grown to be in the Two Rivers without the touch of the Taint on his mind. A man like his father.

Just remember that shepherd lad staring slack-jawed at the great city of Baerlon and imagine him having come home a man !
Old 12-02-2010, 04:33 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

He's just pretending to be rational now. It is all a ploy:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToM, Epilogue, And After
He wasn't certain what he'd do if they refused him. They'd find it very difficult to do so. Sometimes, it could be useful to have a reputation for being irrational.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:48 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

JesusRand is creepy. That is all.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:51 AM
Elder

jana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond repute

I liked some of it, but I won't know until I see how he acts around Moiraine. Rand in books 2 & 4-6 will probably always be my favorite.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:05 PM
Elder

alleluia_cone has much to be proud ofalleluia_cone has much to be proud ofalleluia_cone has much to be proud ofalleluia_cone has much to be proud ofalleluia_cone has much to be proud ofalleluia_cone has much to be proud ofalleluia_cone has much to be proud ofalleluia_cone has much to be proud ofalleluia_cone has much to be proud ofalleluia_cone has much to be proud ofalleluia_cone has much to be proud of

I feel we don't really know this Rand yet. We barely got any POV from him so far, and that being the case, it would be hard to make a determination yet.

My favorite Rand is Book 1 Rand, my second favorite Rand is book 2 Rand, my third favorite Rand is book 3 Rand, my . . .
Old 12-02-2010, 12:12 PM
Elder

Toss the dice is a glorious beacon of lightToss the dice is a glorious beacon of lightToss the dice is a glorious beacon of lightToss the dice is a glorious beacon of lightToss the dice is a glorious beacon of lightToss the dice is a glorious beacon of lightToss the dice is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servus Christi View Post
I don't think it will be too jarring when we really get in his head. His life as Rand will dominate, his life as Lews Therin will be as a dream, he'll probably be more like the man he would have grown to be in the Two Rivers without the touch of the Taint on his mind. A man like his father.
When reading ToM, I envisioned it as basically the exact same thing as Mat and his memories, except Rand only has Lews Therin's memories and it was actually him in a previous life.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:35 PM
Youngling

What is he doing fantasizing about Lanfear (ffs Lanfear) instead of his Ilyena? She's right up with fain and semirhage on the list of people-who-must-die-now.

Last edited by Terrace; 12-02-2010 at 12:38 PM.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:41 PM
Youngling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toss the dice View Post
When reading ToM, I envisioned it as basically the exact same thing as Mat and his memories, except Rand only has Lews Therin's memories and it was actually him in a previous life.
I seem to remember Mat's memories took a long time to be fully integrated. So maybe not quite the same, but almost.

Last edited by Terrace; 12-02-2010 at 12:46 PM.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:48 PM
Youngling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jana View Post
I liked some of it, but I won't know until I see how he acts around Moiraine. Rand in books 2 & 4-6 will probably always be my favorite.
JesusRand has easily handled all aes sedai so far. I doubt moiraine will be more difficult than, like, cadsuane.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:55 PM
Elder

jana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrace View Post
JesusRand has easily handled all aes sedai so far. I doubt moiraine will be more difficult than, like, cadsuane.
Buh? I've just been sitting here staring at this post trying to figure out how to reply. There are just so many options. And this is what I came up with.

Edit: Okay, I will just give you all my replies.

1. Buh?
2. wut.
3. lolwut
4. I don't think anyone's ever misunderstood a post of mine more than at this moment.
5. I will shake my fist at you if it turns out you actually think Rand will have any need of "handling" Moiraine
6. Buh? I've just been sitting here staring at this post trying to figure out how to reply. There are just so many options. And this is what I came up with.
7. 1. Buh?
2. wut.
3. lolwut
4. I don't think anyone's ever misunderstood a post of mine more than at this moment.
5. I will shake my fist at you if it turns out you actually think Rand will have any need of "handling" Moiraine
6. Buh? I've just been sitting here staring at this post trying to figure out how to reply. There are just so many options. And this is what I came up with.

Last edited by jana; 12-02-2010 at 01:00 PM.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:02 PM
Youngling

Quote:
Buh? I've just been sitting here staring at this post trying to figure out how to reply. There are just so many options. And this is what I came up with.
Well I also acknowledge that your point has some merit, and thus gracefully accept you conceding the point.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:03 PM
Elder

Quote:
Well I also acknowledge that your point has some merit, and thus gracefully accept you conceding the point. ^_^
I don't remember having a point. (I'm being serious here. Did I have a point? What was it?)
Old 12-02-2010, 01:06 PM
Youngling

Quote:
I don't remember having a point. (I'm being serious here. Did I have a point? What was it?)
You weren't sure how rand would act around moiraine. I pointed out that it probably wouldn't be very different from how he acted around all the other aes sedai -- apologies + roughshod. Then we both agreed that sanderson sucks.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:10 PM
Elder

Quote:
You weren't sure how rand would act around moiraine. I pointed out that it probably wouldn't be very different from how he acted around all the other aes sedai -- apologies + roughshod. Then we both agreed that sanderson sucks.
Er. I think the last sentence was a joke but even so I don't want my name included in that since I said nothing about him in this thread and have never said he sucks.

More importantly, I think you haven't been paying much (or any) attention to Rand's PoV concerning Moiraine in the past 8 books if you think he's going to treat Moiraine the same way as he does other Aes Sedai. That's what my incredulous reply is about.

I don't know exactly how he'll act around Moiraine but I do know it will be nothing like "apologetic and then roughshod." Apologetic and ecstatic more like it.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:12 PM
Youngling

dpt24 is an unknown quantity at this point

I like it; just wish we'd have gotten a POV or 2 out of him...
Old 12-02-2010, 01:18 PM
Youngling

Quote:
I don't know exactly how he'll act around Moiraine but I do know it will be nothing like "apologetic and then roughshod." Apologetic and ecstatic more like it.
hmm, you're probably right. 10 bucks says there'll also be tears. But once he gets over it -- its roughshod time.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:22 PM
Elder

Quote:
But once he gets over it -- its roughshod time.
You've definitely spilled soda on your lap or had a bug fly up your nose every time he thinks about Moiraine since Lord of Chaos. Hell will freeze over before he acts that way toward Moiraine or she gives him any reason to.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:44 PM
Youngling

Quote:
You've definitely spilled soda on your lap or had a bug fly up your nose every time he thinks about Moiraine since Lord of Chaos. Hell will freeze over before he acts that way toward Moiraine or she gives him any reason to.
Eh. I judge people based on their actions, not on their thoughts (especially when they think she's dead). She's mellowed out a lot so she probably won't give him a reason, but he's the type to send her to rescue Lan or something.

Anyway he'll have his hands full so we probably won't find out.