art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (1): renorkeit,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > General "Other" Books Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 01-05-2011, 08:44 AM
Elder

Leanne is a jewel in the roughLeanne is a jewel in the roughLeanne is a jewel in the rough
Default Earth's Children Series, Jean Auel

I know at least a couple of people here have read this series. Every once in a while I would check to find an update about what she is doing. Well, she finally finished that last book. It is coming out March, only 9 years after the last book.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:51 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

that's excellent news! even though I was slightly disappointed after the last book... so many pages, so little story advancement. Then again, I've been trying to re-read the series (got as far as book 4, then got interrupted by Potter re-read) and I've got to say, reading them again there is actually quite a lot of story advancement... so maybe I was unfair to be disappointed... we'll see. In any case, awesome news!

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Old 01-05-2011, 08:57 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Very good.

Now I'm wondering whether she'll write another series, and how long that's gonna take.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:37 PM
Hero of the Horn

Ishara has disabled reputation
Send a message via MSN to Ishara

Quote:
Originally Posted by yks 6nnetu hing View Post
that's excellent news! even though I was slightly disappointed after the last book... so many pages, so little story advancement. Then again, I've been trying to re-read the series (got as far as book 4, then got interrupted by Potter re-read) and I've got to say, reading them again there is actually quite a lot of story advancement... so maybe I was unfair to be disappointed... we'll see. In any case, awesome news!
LOL - exactly my opinion of the last book. Terrible. I feel like printing that stupid song alone time after time took up about 100 pages that could have gone towards development. And the sex wasn't even that great. It got a big m'eh from me. But, I'll still read the next one!

Rand: You are an insensitive bastard!!!
Mat: And you ruined another hat!

It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by lightening. -- Calvin

"Gee, I wish I could do magic! Maybe I'll try!" --SDog

Official Vixen of Theoryland and Theoryland Siren

Grain Goddess, the Rood Inverse, the Mad Glomper
Old 01-05-2011, 04:58 PM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishara View Post
...And the sex wasn't even that great. It got a big m'eh from me.
The sex in the Earth's Children series has always struck me as gratuitous. It's nice to know that ancient humans engaged in and enjoyed sex, but it's not necessary to go into that much detail.

Overall, the series is interesting, but each successive book has seemed more and more contrived -- there's simply too much advancement for one character's lifetime.

(Now if I could just figure out which questions they go to. )

I met you in a past life. You were wrong then, too.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:35 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Harold View Post
The sex in the Earth's Children series has always struck me as gratuitous. It's nice to know that ancient humans engaged in and enjoyed sex, but it's not necessary to go into that much detail.

Overall, the series is interesting, but each successive book has seemed more and more contrived -- there's simply too much advancement for one character's lifetime.
Well, I'll admit to the fact that almost everything I learned about sex prior to actually getting some was from these books - gratuitous yes, for sure. But I was still grateful for the details. LOL (eta: of the nice sex, obvs. Reading the rape scenes at 10 was probably not my smartest moment.)

On a more serious note, I agree completely about the contrivance. I don't think that Auel actually has a plot line. I'm convinced that she doesn't know how the story will end and so fills her books with discoveries, stupid details about limestone geology and that cursed song.

It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by lightening. -- Calvin

Old 01-06-2011, 08:39 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

She tried to make it as scientifically accurate as possible, with the addition of the (admittedly speculative) Neanderthal mental abilities. That worked well, until a bunch of annoying scientists made new discoveries halfway through the series. Then she had to improvise, in order to maintain both accuracy and narrative consistency. If someone hadn't found that song in a deep cave somewhere, I don't know what she would have done.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:15 PM
Hero of the Horn

1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via ICQ to 1Powerslave Send a message via MSN to 1Powerslave Send a message via Yahoo to 1Powerslave

It will be great to read the last book finally. The sex does get a bit repetitive between Ayla and Jondalar, but I think it's good it's there. It fits in and sets the mood, I think more books should have sex in them.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:37 PM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Powerslave View Post
It will be great to read the last book finally. The sex does get a bit repetitive between Ayla and Jondalar, but I think it's good it's there. It fits in and sets the mood, I think more books should have sex in them.
I have no objection to sex in books -- provided it does something to advance the story; which Jane Auel doesn't seem to understand. The sex scenes are mostly about as relevant to the storyline as TV commercials are to soccer matches.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:41 AM
Hero of the Horn

Then again, if she replaced the sex with a commercial for a wonderful new banking product (available really soon after Ayla invents Currency), would that improve the books?
Old 01-10-2011, 05:07 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Powerslave View Post
*ahem* almost any chicklit *ahem*

I'm just happy it's mostly only between Ayla and Jondalar. Besides, not all of it is gratuitous, quite a lot of it is let's-make-up sex.

Bonded to JWB

-- Winston Churchill
Old 01-10-2011, 10:05 AM
Hero of the Horn

Which is never the way it goes in real life, is it? I mean really!

Old 01-10-2011, 10:13 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishara View Post
Which is never the way it goes in real life, is it? I mean really!
depends. we almost never argue.

Bonded to JWB

-- Winston Churchill
Old 01-10-2011, 10:16 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Try walking from Moscow to Lyons in one year, without carrying any type of identification. That'll give you plenty to argue about (though possibly not with each other, admittedly).
Old 01-16-2011, 04:01 PM
Hero of the Horn

1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via ICQ to 1Powerslave Send a message via MSN to 1Powerslave Send a message via Yahoo to 1Powerslave

Quote:
*ahem* almost any chicklit *ahem*
Old 01-17-2011, 09:22 AM
Elder

Daekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond repute
Default grey ajah

Quote:
yks, if you and ishara ever do have a fight, i am willing to act as a mediator to "help" in your reconcilliation....

Anyway, i don't think the sex in earths children is really warranted. It was an interesting read the first time but it felt too frequent and contained too much detail at times. It felt like a mills and boon novel!

He just got carried away a bit this time, probably as a result of his marriage-gonzothegreat

Son of Nazbaque, Lord of Fire
Old 01-17-2011, 10:18 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekyras View Post
Anyway, i don't think the sex in earths children is really warranted. It was an interesting read the first time but it felt too frequent and contained too much detail at times. It felt like a mills and boon novel!
Half a dozen times or so in a two year period is too frequent?
Old 01-17-2011, 10:35 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
Half a dozen times or so in a two year period is too frequent?
When it interrupts the main narrative, yes. the same frequency or even more could be included by using a "fade to black and then the next morning" technique for the sexual encounters and it wouldn't make the book unsuitable for precocious readers who shouldn't be getting sex-ed quite that graphic yet.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:34 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Harold View Post
When it interrupts the main narrative, yes. the same frequency or even more could be included by using a "fade to black and then the next morning" technique for the sexual encounters and it wouldn't make the book unsuitable for precocious readers who shouldn't be getting sex-ed quite that graphic yet.
And why, pray tell me, should they not be educated?

I think that the parts of the series where it is mentioned (more or less) that modern ideas of "keeping it in the bedroom" did not exist during pre-history are fairly accurate. At least, it seems reasonable to assume that even before the invention of the bedroom people had sex. So if you think about it, then you'll realise that the "do not tell the kids" attitude is rather unnatural.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:32 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
So if you think about it, then you'll realise that the "do not tell the kids" attitude is rather unnatural.
Unnatural or not, In the US, the Earth's Children series can't be put in the Young Adult section of a library or bookstore or on a list of reccomended reading for children and/or young adults.

The graphic depictions of sex in the series does not IMHO add anything to the narrative that a figurative fade to black that leaves the details to the readers' imagination couldn't accomplish.

"Behind the Bedroom Door" is a literary technique, not a literal refence to bedrooms, doors, houses, bushes, partitions, or anything other than a figure of speech.

I could have used "off camera" just as well, without implying or suggesting that cavemen had invented cameras nad "French Postcards."

The movie made of Clan of the Cave Bear didn't lose any of the story by not filming the sex scenes graphically -- the movie sucked for a lot of other reasons, but at least it wasn't relegated to dingy, dirty, backstreet theaters with sticky floor frequented by strange men wearing nothing but trenchcoats.