art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (1): imichelinirandy,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > General "Other" Books Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 02-07-2011, 04:54 PM
Elder

Basel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant future
Default Wise Man's Fear March 1!!!!

Long awaited sequel to The Name of the Wind. A must read for me and thought you might want to know if you haven't heard.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:40 AM
Elder

Daekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond repute
Default good news indeed

i like the sound of this basel.

I enjoyed the first book. A cut above the usual "fantasy" being peddled these days(i'm looking at you, brent weeks!)

kvothe is a great character.

He just got carried away a bit this time, probably as a result of his marriage-gonzothegreat

Son of Nazbaque, Lord of Fire
Old 02-08-2011, 04:43 PM
Elder

Basel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant future

Kvothe is a really intriguing character. I was really disappointed in having to wait so long for next book.

I'm surprised though, I liked Night Angel trilogy. Haven't read any other Weeks' stuff.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:30 AM
Elder

Daekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basel Gill View Post
Kvothe is a really intriguing character. I was really disappointed in having to wait so long for next book.

I'm surprised though, I liked Night Angel trilogy. Haven't read any other Weeks' stuff.
Maybe it's just me but I found Weeks work to be incredibly...derivative? I hope that's the right word.

It felt devoid of any real ideas and was too much like other works I had read before. Having said that, I might not be a fan of this "modern Fantasy". I really don't like Joe Abercrombie either and both he and Weeks seem like poster boys for it...

He just got carried away a bit this time, probably as a result of his marriage-gonzothegreat

Son of Nazbaque, Lord of Fire
Old 02-14-2011, 09:09 AM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekyras View Post
Maybe it's just me but I found Weeks work to be incredibly...derivative? I hope that's the right word.

It felt devoid of any real ideas and was too much like other works I had read before. Having said that, I might not be a fan of this "modern Fantasy". I really don't like Joe Abercrombie either and both he and Weeks seem like poster boys for it...
I will have to admit a limited experience with other authors. I have a horrible tendency to find something I like and stick to it exclusively. I find myself watching re-runs rather than new TV shows. When I first read LotR, I re-read it 20 times before I ever read anything else, etc. So...I guess what I am saying is that I had never read anything similar so I maybe it just seemed different to me?
Old 02-17-2011, 12:51 PM
Hero of the Horn

WinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to WinespringBrother

An excerpt from the book was posted today:

http://www.tor.com/stories/2011/02/e...trick-rothfuss

"Oh, y'all [Theorylanders] are awesome with awesome sauce, but you ask a lot of tricky questions. I had to watch myself with you guys." - Maria

"I need to RAFO more things, I'm not being very Robert Jordan..." - Brandon
Old 02-24-2011, 03:33 PM
Hero of the Horn

WinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant future

New excerpt (video, reading by PR):

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2011/02/vid...trick-rothfuss

"Oh, y'all [Theorylanders] are awesome with awesome sauce, but you ask a lot of tricky questions. I had to watch myself with you guys." - Maria

Old 03-07-2011, 01:58 PM
Hero of the Horn

Up to pg 256. So far, this book is WAY better than TNOTW. Makes it seem like an appetizer!

Old 03-14-2011, 03:59 PM
Elder

TeeJay is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TeeJay Send a message via MSN to TeeJay Send a message via Skype™ to TeeJay

read it twice now. better than the first.

gief moar Kvothe!

and is it just me, or is Bast getting creepier and scarier?
Old 03-21-2011, 07:34 PM
Elder

nameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant future

So do people think this one's worth picking up? I liked Name of the Wind in general, but thought it was pretty slow and that some of the subplots could have been combined or compressed to leave more room for the main story.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:06 PM
Elder

nameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant future

Wow, Wise Man's Fear is way better than the first one... I'm really interested to see where this story's headed from here.