art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (1): Anonymous,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > General "Other" Books Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 02-20-2011, 03:33 AM
Youngling

Artur pendragon will become famous soon enough
Default Crippled God March 1st

anyone read the preview from Tor and if so thoughts?
Glad to finally see Paran come back in the plot as Master of the Deck thought he would have a bigger role his the Errant challenged him.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:49 AM
Hero of the Horn

Sarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to behold

On a hunch, I walked into the local bookstore during lunchtime.

I'll start reading tonight.

the Grey Viper, the Lord of Forsaken Roads, the Pink Sunset
Old 02-22-2011, 11:22 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarevok View Post
On a hunch, I walked into the local bookstore during lunchtime.

I'll start reading tonight.
I love local bookstores.

I also love that my local bookstore is doing fine while Borders just went under.

I gladly paid full jacket price for ToM from my local store and happily got it the Saturday before the release.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 02-23-2011, 04:15 PM
Hero of the Horn

Crispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond repute

I'm trying to decide whether to buy the hard copy or the Kindle edition. I'll probably go hard copy just because it will round out the collection. I'd like to start my kids on it when they turn eight.

Seriously though, I'm pretty excited. I wish some of the ICE stuff would come out in the US sooner, though. People already have Stonewielder in the UK, but it's not even available here till May.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:06 PM
Elder

Madgod is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, there goes my hope to finish the series before the final book comes out. However, given I just finished Memories of Ice, I have a feeling that's not happening.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:18 PM
Hero of the Horn

DahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to DahLliA

I should have it in the mail any day now. can't wait

"'Profound... huh.' Temper was silent for a long moment, studying the cobbles of the alley mouth. And then he lifted his helmed head, faced Shadowthrone, and said, 'Fuck off.'"
Old 02-24-2011, 04:55 AM
Hero of the Horn

Sarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to behold

Can someone link to a synopsis of Dust of Dreams? I don't get about half of what's going on...

Old 02-24-2011, 01:08 PM
Youngling

Artur pendragon will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Can someone link to a synopsis of Dust of Dreams? I don't get about half of what's going on...
I know the feeling am only about a 1/4 of the way done with Dust of dreams.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:03 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artur pendragon View Post
I know the feeling am only about a 1/4 of the way done with Dust of dreams.
I finished Dust of Dreams a few months ago, but now that I'm reading the Crippled God, I'm thinking "how did X end up at [place]?" I probably forgot some parts from Dust of Dreams...

Old 02-26-2011, 02:47 PM
Hero of the Horn

jason wolfbrother has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to jason wolfbrother Send a message via MSN to jason wolfbrother Send a message via Yahoo to jason wolfbrother

Amazon.co.uk is your friend Ordered both Crippled God and Stonewielder. Of course I'm still waiting for them to arrive. Estimated arrival March 5th or thereabouts. Meanwhile I'm rereading the series from the beginning . I had forgotten just how badass Anomander Rake was in GotM

Wash:"Things are about to get interesting"
Mal:"Define interesting..."
Wash:"Oh God! Oh God! We're all gonna die!?"

"If you are not living life on the edge, you are taking up too much space"
Old 03-08-2011, 04:43 AM
Hero of the Horn

DahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant future

almost done with the Crippled God now. and I gotta say I'm impressed so far. he's managing to tie up most of the loose ends without it feeling forced. except the whole Gruntle thing. didn't really see the point of that

"'Profound... huh.' Temper was silent for a long moment, studying the cobbles of the alley mouth. And then he lifted his helmed head, faced Shadowthrone, and said, 'Fuck off.'"
Old 03-08-2011, 11:53 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DahLliA View Post
almost done with the Crippled God now. and I gotta say I'm impressed so far. he's managing to tie up most of the loose ends without it feeling forced. except the whole Gruntle thing. didn't really see the point of that
note to self: stop reading this thread!

I'm not even halfway through.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:28 AM
Hero of the Horn

Crispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
note to self: stop reading this thread!

I'm not even halfway through.
I'm halfway through or so, and I agree with Dahl. Well, except for Gruntle because that hasn't been resolved yet where I am.

It's getting to the point, though, where if certain plot lines continue much longer without a change, it's going to get boring. I'm hopeful, because something really big just happened and it feels like it's all downhill from this point.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:41 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispin's Crispian View Post
I'm halfway through or so, and I agree with Dahl. Well, except for Gruntle because that hasn't been resolved yet where I am.

It's getting to the point, though, where if certain plot lines continue much longer without a change, it's going to get boring. I'm hopeful, because something really big just happened and it feels like it's all downhill from this point.
finished the book on the train last night. and I almost fell a tear at the end. at least I've had my expectations filled and more.

a couple of plot lines could have been resolved a bit better of course. but just managing to resolve most of them is a huge feat.

not to mention all the brilliant quotes

Old 03-17-2011, 01:38 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DahLliA View Post
finished the book on the train last night. and I almost fell a tear at the end. at least I've had my expectations filled and more.

a couple of plot lines could have been resolved a bit better of course. but just managing to resolve most of them is a huge feat.

not to mention all the brilliant quotes
Just finished it this AM, and I completely agree. I thought the book was really very good, and quite satisfying.

As far as plot lines go:

Spoiler:

Icarium: Just sad. I wasn't sure whether to expect more, but I was wanting more. Poor Mappo...tragic.

Tool: I like the idea of his family reuniting, and absent the rest of the happiness this would have worked very well. However, I thought it was a little too convenient. I guess when I realized it was Toc that put it together, it makes it much better.

Last minute salvation...seemed to be the story of the book. The Andii show up to save the Shore, Mael's dagger makes water, Hood on the Spire, Silchas/Tulas's Storm keeps Korabas alive long enough, Ganoes saves the regulars, QB and Kalam save the marines. All of them together seemed contrived to keep certain characters alive against unbelievable odds. I mean, with all the tragedy and death, I guess the balance had to be a little tipped.

Crippled God: Not that I'm surprised, but suddenly he's a good, compassionate guy? Seemed like a quick turnaround from the guy who was using the Pannion/Crazy Matron and assholes like that pedophile guy in HoC and Kallor.

Tavore: Would have liked to see a little more with her and her brother, but alas... Interesting how her entire motivation and source of strength were ineffable to everyone, and remained so at the end. Was it compassion? Was it guilt over Felisin? Was it an overactive sense of duty and work ethic? No one knows, but in the end it didn't matter.

Quick Ben: We're never going to get his whole story, are we? Ruthan Gudd knew him somehow, as did Banaschar. And he told Paran that some of his souls were really, really old. But that's all we get. No idea who Adaephon Delat really is or was.

Old 03-19-2011, 04:49 PM
Hero of the Horn

for Crispin:

Spoiler:
well. there's always outlier book as far as Quick Ben goes(here's to hoping)

and I figured that Tavore was a Talon and we know how serious they are about their assignements. so I think Dancer had something to do with it

Old 03-29-2011, 08:35 AM
Hero of the Horn

Finished the book yesterday. One thing bothered me:
Spoiler:
Towards the end Neb Furrow (correct spelling? Don't have the book here) says something that is even more incomprehensible than his usual speech. From the reaction of the people around him it's something profound but... what did he say?

Old 03-29-2011, 12:02 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Finished the book yesterday. One thing bothered me:
Spoiler:
Towards the end Neb Furrow (correct spelling? Don't have the book here) says something that is even more incomprehensible than his usual speech. From the reaction of the people around him it's something profound but... what did he say?
I think you mean this part, which confused me, too:

Spoiler:

'Where'en ne faareden? Eh? War bit ana dem?'
'To the families if they got any, Nep. That's how it's done. Stand or fall, you still get paid.'
'G'han nered pah vreem!'
Sinter made a startled sound, and beside her Kisswhere leaned forward to shoot Nep Furrow a shocked look.
'Really, Nep?' Kisswhere asked.
'Nepel!'
'Gods below,' Sinter whispered. 'I never....'

My best guess is that he's asking where the pay goes for fallen soldiers. "Faareden" sounds like "fallen" if you pronounce the "l" like a "d".

'G'han nered pah vremm!'

Not really sure. Someone on MalazanEmpire thought it was, "They're never gonna pay for me!" but that doesn't make sense with the sisters' reaction.

I think it's more likely he's saying someone else never got money, but I'm not sure.

Old 03-29-2011, 03:07 PM
Hero of the Horn

On Malazan Empire someone thinks:
Spoiler:
'Where'en ne faareden? Eh? War bit ana dem?
Wherein the fallen? (as in "Where is the money for the fallen going?) Eh? What about any of them?

'G'han nered pah vreem!'

Gonna never pay for me. (Referring to his goal of never dying - kinda like a One Eye/Goblin tribute in a way)

'Nepel!'

Never! (I have no idea why he says "Never" two different ways, but he does. It's awesome.)

Spoiler:
For the 2nd line, I think it's more probable he's saying:
"Gonna never pay for 'em" (i.e. "for them")
Which makes sense, since when anyone from the army tries to go back in any official capacity (not like the old man playing the fiddle in some tavern ), they'll still be killed as the outlaws they probably still are...

Old 03-29-2011, 06:25 PM
Hero of the Horn

two big quesions though:

Spoiler:
did they kill the Crippled God or did they set him free. Koryk's reaction and Fiddler's comment make it seem like he just died. but I don't see Mael and K'rul or Cotillion pulling something like that.

and who was Nefarias Bredd?