art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Book 13: Towers of Midnight
User Name
Password

Old 03-04-2011, 07:58 PM
Elder

New Futurist Man is just really niceNew Futurist Man is just really niceNew Futurist Man is just really niceNew Futurist Man is just really niceNew Futurist Man is just really nice
Default Quo Vadis Logain?

Quote:
Androl had been worrying for weeks now. Ever since Logain had left in the night. Where had he gone? Why had he taken Donalo, Mezar and Welyn — three of the most powerful Dedicated loyal to him — along?”
Towers of Midnight, chp. title Working Leather, [page 683]
Where is Logain?

In this theory I’m proposing Logain has been holed up in Caemlyn ever since an attack on him, Donalo, Mezar and Welyn — an attack which bore fruit for the Shadow in that Mezar was forcibly turned to it!

Before arguing why I think Caemlyn I’ll run through some other possibilities of what may have happened to him and his men:

1. He, like Mezar, has been ‘turned’ by a Circle of 13 darkfriend channellers and 13 Myrddraal;

2. Or: he was attacked by Shadow channellers but he, Donalo and Welyn were able to fight them off or just simply escape, whereas Mezar was captured and ‘turned’;

Quote:
[Androl POV] “..Mezar had returned a few days back — explaining that Logain was well and that all would soon be resolved with Taim…”
Towers of Midnight, chp. title Something Wrong, [page 818]
Quote:
[Androl POV] “[..][Mezar] smiled at him…[..]…And he saw what Norley had seen. Something was deeply wrong, something not-quite-alive inside those eyes. This didn’t seem to be a man, but a parody of one. A shadow stuffed inside human skin.”
Towers of Midnight, chp. title Something Wrong, [page 819]
3. Or: Logain really is just out scouting and only Mezar has been turned. Judging from their activity in TofM, there are plenty of Shadow channellers operating all over the Westlands, so its within the realms of possibility Mezar accidently stumbled into them. Unlikely, but a possibility;

4. Or: He and his Dedicated are with the Aes Sedai camped outside the Black Tower;

5. Or: The early ‘week(s)’ of Logain’s disappearance may be due merely to his workload:

• He moved half the Asha’man to Illian for the Dragon, presumably he’d follow up orders to ensure they were properly deployed etc.;
  • He was negotiating with the Sea Folk until very recently;
  • He was at the manor house upon the occasion of the massive trolloc attack, and probably would’ve saw fit to stay around the Dragon in case of another attack, meaning a further drain on his time;
  • He accompanied the Dragon to the meet with Semirhage/Daughter of the Nine Moons, and as at least one of the Asha’man in his company were injured, its possible they laid up somewhere until they’d properly recovered from their Healing;

The man’s been quite busy. Based on the above its fair to assume his activities in tGS overlap with Taim’s setting the Dreamspike in the Black Tower, which might explain his absence;

The presence of the Dreamspike prohibiting Travelling in or out of the Black Tower confuses matters further in the sense that if Logain and co. were attacked by Shadow channellers and there was no Dreamspike, its permissible he would have returned to the Black Tower to gather those loyal to him — meaning we could deduce that it wasn’t any of Taim’s cronies who sprung the attack as Logain is hardly likely to return to the Black Tower after Taim moves so openly against him. But because of the Dreamspike‘s presence we can’t definitively say whether an assault has come from Taim‘s cronies, Shaidar Haran, Dreadlords etc.

Why Caemlyn?

For a start, it’s the closest large city to the Black Tower, so it makes sense to want to be close to the place, especially as Logain has many men loyal to him within the Black Tower's walls.

Secondly, it’s a city which can be said to be under the Dragon’s command — which has a number of connotations which support why Logain might be there:
  • its a safe place to wait it out, and test to see if Travelling to the Black Tower is operative once more;
  • Caemlyn and Andor in general is somewhat sympathetic to the Black Tower, and tolerates to a certain extent the 'men in black coats', so if Logain or another of his men were badly injured after a confrontation with Shadow channellers they could expect Caemlyn to be a good choice for somewhere to lie low and possibly seek medical attention, especially if originally they’d feared being followed by the Shadow channellers — Logain, probably aware of the many Kin and Aes Sedai in Caemlyn, would know the Shadow weren‘t likely to follow him and his men there and begin a fight using the Power.

Thirdly, Logain knows that the Dragon is going to pay a visit to Caemlyn sooner or later, and not just because of his relationship with Elayne.

Some of these points may be spurious. But I think the first point should probably suffice for why Logain will be in Caemlyn: we know how he feels about Taim and what he’s doing with the Black Tower, and if the attack on him came from Taim’s men then he’ll certainly not want to be too far from the Black Tower!

The most likely location other than Caemlyn would have been the gathering of Asha’man on the Illian border. The Dragon deployed what seemed a sizable amount of Asha’man upon his retaking of Maradon, Asha’man which could only have come from those on the Illian border. However Logain was conspicuous by his absence in Maradon. If he’d been with the Asha’man in Illian he’d have featured in the re-taking of Maradon, and would certainly have popped up at some point. So Illian seems equally unlikely.

Its worth noting his last meeting with the Dragon Reborn had been at the capture of Semirhage, and before that at the manor house. The Dragon has been moving around, staying in out-of-the-way locations ever since the Dashiva/Aginor-led attack upon the Sun Palace — so perhaps Logain, at this point, doesn’t actually know precisely where the Dragon is.

Caemlyn looks as good a bet as anywhere.

And if he is in Caemlyn it sets up a nice contest between him and the Shadowspawn and possible Dreadlords that are funnelling - even as you read! - out of the Caemlyn waygate . . . Well, we’ve all been waiting a long time to see Logain get medieval with some Shadowspawn, Dreadlords or, preferably, Taim. This would be a nice taster of what the man is capable of.

Addendum

Quote:
[Androl POV] “He focused. Making gateways came so much easier to him than other weaves did; he’d never understood why. Though he couldn’t break even a small rock apart by channelling, he could make a gateway large enough for a wagon to drive through. Logain had called it impressive; Taim had called it impossible.”
Towers of Midnight, chp. title Something Wrong, [page 817]
Androl’s skill with the weaves for Travelling was really talked up in TofM, add that to the fact channellers in this Age are rediscovering the knack for Talents: Neald and Power-wrought weapons, Elayne and the making of Cuendillar etc. is it possible Androl and his ‘Talent’ for Gateways may be able to defy the hold the Dreamspike has on the Black Tower, possibly by some innovation on the Travelling weave…? The immediate permutations this would have for the Black Tower and the supposed impregnability of Taim's fortress could prove interesting.

Last edited by New Futurist Man; 03-04-2011 at 08:11 PM.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:29 AM
Youngling

Nei is an unknown quantity at this point

Logain's supposed to have glory in his future, so I highly doubt that he's been turned or anything of the sort. Your theory that he's been attacked and Mezar got captured actually sounds the most likely.

If Mezar had been sent by Logain to enter the Tower and check things out, then turning him would be a pretty risky thing to do since Logain's expecting him and these 13x13'd channellers are really bad actors. People who barely know the guy can tell he's been bodysnatched or at least acting funny. The only reason why Taim's been getting away with it is because of the dreamspike stopping Logain's faction from hightailing it out of there.

On a slightly related note, Aes Sedai are so stubbornly silly that I wouldn't be surprised if most of them refuse to listen to Logain (if he even tries speaking to them). Most of the Salidar AS are pretty much just sitting ducks for when the Tower AS are dealt with. At best I might say that Faolain might make it out because of Min's reading of a 'bright future'.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:59 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

I like the idea that he's hanging out in Caemlyn if for no other reason than that I want him to be able to help against the attack there. Wish there was something resembling real evidence for it.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:40 AM
Elder

New Futurist Man is just really niceNew Futurist Man is just really niceNew Futurist Man is just really niceNew Futurist Man is just really niceNew Futurist Man is just really nice
Default What the Dragon should have done with the Access Key

As I see it:

Quote:
The Dragon: "In the coming days the world is about to experience the full onslaught of the Shadow's malice. In these days, man will need every and whatever advantage he can find. No doubt the Dreadlords who now serve the Shadow will be armed with many angreals and Sa'angreals. Their armies will also vastly outnumber ours. And they'll be led by the Forsaken, who's knowledge of the One Power only I can match...Unfortunately I won't be around to actually engage them myself, for I must go to Shayol Ghul as you know. But maybe this might help," he said, as he placed his good hand into a cloth bag, "perhaps this will right the balance somewhat..." From underneath the cloth Rand brought the statue of a man holding aloft a crystal ball. The light in the depths of the crystal ball seemed to fill Logain's eyes - or perhaps it was the other way round.
chp. 23, A Gift for Logain, A Memory of Light

Logain armed with the male Access Key as he leads the Asha'man against what will probably be 100s of Dreadlords - bit of a no-brainer that one! Cause otherwise I really can't see what advantage the Light possibly have! (The bondings aside...)

Such a shame it is no more! I woulda liked to have seen what Logain unleashed with the Choedan Kal could've done to the Shadow's armies.

Last edited by New Futurist Man; 03-25-2011 at 08:50 AM.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:59 AM
Elder

maacaroni has a brilliant futuremaacaroni has a brilliant futuremaacaroni has a brilliant futuremaacaroni has a brilliant futuremaacaroni has a brilliant futuremaacaroni has a brilliant futuremaacaroni has a brilliant futuremaacaroni has a brilliant futuremaacaroni has a brilliant futuremaacaroni has a brilliant futuremaacaroni has a brilliant future

Dragon: Vado mori Shayol Ghul et reviviscant

surely? I'm a positive man, at heart
Old 03-25-2011, 12:08 PM
Elder

Agree 100%. The conversation, however, isn't meant to be exhaustive. His rebirth is a foregone as far as I'm concerned, where I anticipate His returning as something........more.

But there'd be little point explaining that to the Amyrlin.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:12 PM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps Rand will merge with Logain.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:17 PM
Elder

Lol. Perhaps.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:55 PM
Elder

[EDIT:] RAND-LOGAIN-ACCESS KEY SCENE:

[In the style of Capt. Koons' monologue from Pulp Fiction]

SCENE: The DRAGON REBORN steps inside the room toward LOGAIN ABLAR and sits on a chair to bring him even with LOGAIN'S eyeline. When the DRAGON REBORN speaks, he speaks with a slight Two Rivers accent.

DRAGON REBORN
Hello, LOGAIN. Boy I sure heard a bunch about you. See, I experienced a mindblowing moment of total revelation atop Dragonmount thus fulfilling prophecy and providing a reason - as if it was needed - why I should continue fighting the Shadow! Hopefully, you'll never have to experience this yourself. I got somethin' for ya.

The DRAGON REBORN pulls a short statue of a man holding a crystal ball from a cloth bag.

DRAGON REBORN
This Sa'angreal I got here was first made in the Age of Legends. It was made during the War of Power in a little factory in Emar Dal. It was wielded by Doughboy Ernie Coolidge Sedai the day he set sail for Paaran Disen until he was captured and put in a Shadow prison camp. Now he knew if the darkfriends ever saw the Access Key it'd be confiscated. The way he looked at it, that Access Key belonged to the Light. And he'd be damned if any darkfriend were gonna put their greasy Shadow hands on a Sa'angreal of the Light. So he hid it in the one place he knew he could hide somethin'. His ass. Five long years, he wore this Access Key up his ass. Then when I discovered it in Rhuidean, it was my turn to hide it. I hid this uncomfortable hunk of nondescript metal up my ass for two years. And now, Logain, I give the Access Key to you.

The DRAGON REBORN hands the Access Key to LOGAIN.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:05 PM
Elder

Weiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Futurist Man View Post
As I see it:

Logain armed with the male Access Key as he leads the Asha'man against what will probably be 100s of Dreadlords - bit of a no-brainer that one! Cause otherwise I really can't see what advantage the Light possibly have! (The bondings aside...)

Such a shame it is no more! I woulda liked to have seen what Logain unleashed with the Choedan Kal could've done to the Shadow's armies.
Aye, whatever it takes. Even the Choeden Kal.

But such power requires balance, checks on its use. A trusted advisor, whispering in this Logain fellow's ears, should suffice.

What could go wrong?
Old 03-25-2011, 04:23 PM
Youngling

Nei is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
The way he looked at it, that Access Key belonged to the Light. And he'd be damned if any darkfriend were gonna put their greasy Shadow hands on a Sa'angreal of the Light. So he hid it in the one place he knew he could hide somethin'. His ass. Five long years, he wore this Access Key up his ass. Then when I discovered it in Rhuidean, it was my turn to hide it. I hid this uncomfortable hunk of nondescript metal up my ass for two years. And now, Logain, I give the Access Key to you.

The DRAGON REBORN hands the Access Key to LOGAIN.

I laughed. Probably harder than I should have. >_>

We haven't seen very many male angreal except plot related ones. I'm not sure if I'd be thrilled if they suddenly started sprouting like mushrooms in MoL.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:41 PM
Elder

Spasmodean is just really niceSpasmodean is just really niceSpasmodean is just really niceSpasmodean is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nei View Post
I laughed. Probably harder than I should have. >_>

We haven't seen very many male angreal except plot related ones. I'm not sure if I'd be thrilled if they suddenly started sprouting like mushrooms in MoL.
Demandred has one. Worth remembering
Old 03-26-2011, 05:30 PM
Elder

greatwolf will become famous soon enoughgreatwolf will become famous soon enough

IIRC, there's more than one access key. And there're many other terangreal and many ways to achieve glory.

Taim might just be overconfident. The use of a dreamspike at the BT is a tad too obvious I think. Unless he plans to turn everyone inside to the shadow or at least a large number. The Rand BFed semirhage would very likely come after him for it in a very bad way. possibly even with the CK. But now, who knows?

Whether Rand or Logain or both, whoever comes will come prepared for the worst. And if Egwene decides to upstage Rand in this as well, then its very likely byebye Taim.

E: Demandred has what?
Old 03-27-2011, 02:16 PM
Youngling

csarmi is an unknown quantity at this point

The Accass key, you mean.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:24 AM
Elder

Quote:
Spasmodean: Demandred has one. Worth remembering
What book/chp. does Demandred use/mention he has an angreal?

Q: Whatever happened to Rand's little fat-man-holding-a-sword angreal?
Old 03-30-2011, 11:39 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Q: Whatever happened to Rand's little fat-man-holding-a-sword angreal?
Perrin stole it. Am I really the first to come up with this theory, or does it merely feel that way?
Old 03-30-2011, 11:46 AM
Elder

Perrin stole it!? When did this happen? Did he know what it was?
Old 03-30-2011, 12:10 PM
Hero of the Horn

I do not quite yet have all those details worked out.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:31 PM
Youngling

Heinz will become famous soon enoughHeinz will become famous soon enough

I assume that Taim now has the fat little man angreal, post Dumai's Wells. Rand 'had the wagon searched' X amount of times and it never turned up. Its possible a Black Ajah who also escaped the disaster and returned to the Tower had it, and it'll wind up with Moridin or something. But with Taim and the Asha'man present, I think it more likely that's where it disappeared to.

I don't know about all the new Dreadlords having a bunch of angreal and sa'angreal. The Forsaken themselves have been hunting for cache's of ter'angreal, angreal and sa'angreal all series, and have had marginal success. When they do have some success, they haven't seemed trusting or free with it. So unless one of the new Dreadlords can also make these things themselves - the Forsaken apparently do not know how since they do not seem to have created anything since being freed - I think only Taim will show up with the fat little man angreal..

Logain turning up in Caemlyn for the upcomming fight there would be interesting. If they do manage to save the city, and he and his Dedicated/Soldiers are present, it can't hurt the Black Tower's future with Andor.

Last edited by Heinz; 03-30-2011 at 01:37 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:39 PM
Youngling

LewsTherin10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Think about it.

1. Mezar's presence and subsequent Shadow turning indicates that he was brought to Taim. I don't see him going to Taim willingly so he must have been captured.

2. Mezar was with Logain so it's possible that there was some sort of attack by Taim's lackeys to capture Logain and Co or more likely Mezar was on his way back to the BT alone to warn those loyal to Logain to leave the BT but was captured and turned.

3. If Logain and Co were attacked then it's more likely that all of them were captured and Logain is being held prisoner somewhere orless likely he escaped the attack and is hiding out somewhere.

4. The only reason Mezar would say what Androl said he did is that Logain is currently captured or Taim made Mezar say that to placate Logain's followers.

In the case of Logain being with Mezar when the attack happened, Logain escaping would logically be followed by Logain seeking out Rand to let him know what's going on at the BT. This hasn't happened.

In the case of Logain not being with Mezar, Logain likely has no idea that Mezar is turned. Therefore Logain is continuing with his current plans.

In conclusion, it is most Likely that Logain is captured because of Mezar's words, "..all would soon be resolved with Taim..”